PDA

View Full Version : Yo Chimpy, Fear Channel, Toby Keith, and Busheep warmongers everywhere!!!

FORD
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/02/11/arts/12grammy.xlarge6.jpg

"HA HA!!!"

5 Grammys Mark Dixie Chicks' Comeback
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer

LOS ANGELES - The Dixie Chicks completed a defiant comeback on Sunday night, capturing five Grammy awards after being shunned by the country music establishment over the group's anti-Bush comments leading up to the Iraq invasion.

The Texas trio won all the biggest categories, including record and song of the year for the no-regrets anthem "Not Ready to Make Nice." They also won best country album, which was especially ironic considering they don't consider themselves country artists anymore.

"I'm ready to make nice!" lead singer Natalie Maines exclaimed as the group accepted the album of the year award. "I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message."

The Dixie Chicks won all five awards they were nominated for, sweet vindication after the superstars' lives were threatened and sales plummeted when Maines criticized President Bush on the eve of the Iraq war in 2003. Almost overnight, one of the most successful groups of any genre was boycotted by Nashville and disappeared from country radio.

With "Taking the Long Way," the women relied on producer Rick Rubin's guidance for an album that was more rock and less country. (Rubin, who also produced "Stadium Arcadium," was honored as producer of the year.)

The standing ovations the Chicks received Sunday illustrated how much the political climate has changed regarding the Iraq war, and even Bush.

"That's interesting," Maines crowed from the podium after the country award was handed out earlier in the night. "Well, to quote the great 'Simpsons' _ 'Heh-Heh.'

"Just kidding," added Maines. "A lot of people just turned their TVs off right now. I'm very sorry for that."

Bandmate Emily Robison noted, "We wouldn't have done this album without everything we went through, so we have no regrets."

All the trophies collected by the Dixie Chicks (who shared song of the year honors with songwriter Dan Wilson), Blige and the Chili Peppers contributed to the evening's old-school feel.

This is an edited version of the article to keep it relevant to political topics. The complete article, with additional Grammy info can be seen here. (http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2007/02/12/584928.html)

FORD
02-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Only thing that could have made the show better is if Neil Young's "Living With War" had won the Rock album of the Year, which was presented by President Gore. But that one went to the Chili Peppers (Dixie Chicks weren't nominated for it)

amadeus
02-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I knew that the first post about the Dixie Hags winning those Grammys would be by you, FORD!

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
*NOTE*

The QueerChannel affiliate here in Cincinnati promptly cut to news as soon as Maines put her hand on the award,effectively censoring any possible acceptance rants.So I don't know how that went,but I was expecting a good one.
Of course if it were a sporting event or presidential speech,it would have been played in it's entirety.

FORD
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
*NOTE*

The QueerChannel affiliate here in Cincinnati promptly cut to news as soon as Maines put her hand on the award,effectively censoring any possible acceptance rants.So I don't know how that went,but I was expecting a good one.
Of course if it were a sporting event or presidential speech,it would have been played in it's entirety.

Are you shitting me??

Some fascist propaganda outlets don't know when to quit :mad:

Anyway, she didn't deliver any long rants. Pretty much the comments as mentioned above. Even if she had tried a long rant the house orchestra was under orders to keep all the acceptance speeches short. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing if you saw Mary J. Blige's first acceptance speech....

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Are you shitting me??

Some fascist propaganda outlets don't know when to quit :mad:

Anyway, she didn't deliver any long rants. Pretty much the comments as mentioned above. Even if she had tried a long rant the house orchestra was under orders to keep all the acceptance speeches short. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing if you saw Mary J. Blige's first acceptance speech....

No bullshit.

A few years ago the QueerChannel station went from ABC to CBS.
At first I thought my DVR was fucked up,until I realized I had FF through all the BS to live TV.Black screen, then a "breaking news" banner about freezing rain that MAY hit us in 48 hrs.
:mad:

DrMaddVibe
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Ha ha, you've alienated any fans that could forgive and forget.

Their last release wasn't that good. Take a look at record sales. Their votes weren't a vote for the Dixie Chicks. It was a vote against Bush.

I'm glad that the minority of folks that can vote chose to send a message with their responsibility. Thanks for showing me that it's not about the music.

Nickdfresh
02-12-2007, 07:02 PM
"Take a look at the the record sales?" WTF does that mean quality wise? The best VH album sold the least (Fair Warning).

In any case, the album sold pretty well, though their concert attendance was down...

In any case,
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/02/11/arts/12grammy.xlarge6.jpg
I'd like to be in that sandwich...

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

Their last release wasn't that good. Take a look at record sales. Their votes weren't a vote for the Dixie Chicks. It was a vote against Bush.

I'm glad that the minority of folks that can vote chose to send a message with their responsibility. Thanks for showing me that it's not about the music.

Harder to sell records when QueerChannel won't play 'em-harder still when they own so many concert venues (CC ).

What's to forgive? She was right all along- the rest of America is just now catching on.

As far as responsibility....well it's been over 6 years and we haven't seen any yet:eek:

DrMaddVibe
02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
The Clear Channel station would play them, but the backlash of listeners here would switch the dial.

She wasn't right either. She was dead wrong. You don't disrespect your President on a stage of paying fans in a foreign country. They were there for the music, NOT to hear their politics.

Nickdfresh
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
The Clear Channel station would play them, but the backlash of listeners here would switch the dial.

Yeah, well when you're a bunch of uneducated, inbred hicks, what can one say?

She wasn't right either. She was dead wrong. You don't disrespect your President on a stage of paying fans in a foreign country. They were there for the music, NOT to hear their politics.

LOL

DrMaddVibe
02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Go shovel snow nicker00

fe_lung
02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
"Take a look at the the record sales?" WTF does that mean quality wise? The best VH album sold the least (Fair Warning).

In any case, the album sold pretty well, though their concert attendance was down...

Wasn't that due to lack of media support in the traditional country markets? They had a lot of problems getting airplay and advertising support in the bible belt and throughout the south

FORD
02-12-2007, 09:57 PM

Yeah, you NEVER hear politics at a Ted Nugent or Toby Keith concert....... :rolleyes:

sadaist
02-12-2007, 10:05 PM
"Take a look at the the record sales?" WTF does that mean quality wise? The best VH album sold the least

No it didn't. VH I sold 10 million copies.

Either way, I don't like the Dixie Chicks. Not really a country music fan. After The Police performed I watched reruns of King of Queens.

ODShowtime
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
DMV is wrong on numerous points in this thread.

pflo
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM

She wasn't right either. She was dead wrong. You don't disrespect your President on a stage of paying fans in a foreign country. They were there for the music, NOT to hear their politics. pure bullshit.

sadaist
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, you NEVER hear politics at a Ted Nugent or Toby Keith concert....... :rolleyes:

That's true, I don't. Because they both suck and I wouldn't waste my money. Speaking of wasting money, Ozzfest is free this year. That'll really bring out the psychos. Now if Sharon will pay for my gas, parking & beer, we might have something.

Maybe Ozzy talks politics as well and we just can't understand him.

pflo
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM

She wasn't right either. She was dead wrong. You don't disrespect your President on a stage of paying fans in a foreign country. They were there for the music, NOT to hear their politics. pure bullshit.Respect is earned, it is not a given right.

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 10:25 PM

When that stupid SOB EARNS any respect I'm sure he'll get it.Here or abroad, paying fans or free show, she has every right to voice her opinion anytime anywhere.And what CC stations are you talking about? The ones that DIDN'T call for a boycott? Or, the ones that gave in out of fear of losing more ratings?
I don't like their music at all, but that little short shit has BALLS to stand up to the blind, ignorant Busheep.

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
DMV is wrong on numerous points in this thread.

He's yet to actually MAKE one.

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM

And picked up a shitload more outside of Nashville in the process.

blueturk
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Shut the fuck up, Britney.

"Honestly, I think we should just trust our president in every decision that he makes and we should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens." - Britney Spears, Sept. 3, 2003

As for Queer Channel playing Dixie Chicks songs....

"In the build up to the second Iraq War, Clear Channel organized and paid for a counterpoint to anti-war demonstrations in which supporters of war in Iraq descended on cities including Fort Wayne, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Philadelphia. Some of the counter-demonstrators waved flags, messages of support for the troops, and banners attacking liberals, excoriating the UN, and in one case, advising, "Bomb France Now." Clear Channel paid for the advertising costs and for the hire of musicians for the rallies.

Clear Channel said the rallies were "patriotic", not "pro-war"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_Communications

Nickdfresh
02-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Go shovel snow nicker00

I did, fatass (w/ a skidsteer :)).

You know, the funny thing is AssVibe, half of the bands you appear to like (The Police, Waters/Floyd, etc.) subscribe to a leftist, anti-gov't/establishment point of view..

I guess you just have your head up your ass on songs like "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert," or "The Bravery of Being Out f Range," eh?

Nickdfresh
02-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
Wasn't that due to lack of media support in the traditional country markets? They had a lot of problems getting airplay and advertising support in the bible belt and throughout the south

Actually, I heard it sold pretty well. I could be wrong though.

But their concert sales definitely took a hit.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
No it didn't. VH I sold 10 million copies.

I said "Fairwarning," genius, and most critics consider it to be the crown jewel of the six-pack. VHI is great, but it has a cover song and lacks a little unity. It's mostly a best of their demos, almost a compilation ironically considering it was their first album...

Either way, I don't like the Dixie Chicks. Not really a country music fan. After The Police performed I watched reruns of King of Queens.

Not a big country fan either; I'll still be their groupie and they're solid musicians that are drifting over more to rock, with the Rick Rubin collaboration...

hideyoursheep
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I said "Fairwarning," genius, and most critics consider it to be the crown jewel of the six-pack. VHI is great, but it has a cover song and lacks a little unity. It's mostly a best of their demos, almost a compilation ironically considering it was their first album...

Not a big country fan either; I'll still be their groupie and they're solid musicians that are drifting over more to rock, with the Rick Rubin collaboration...

Is Ruben turning into Quincy Jones? That fucker has his hands on damn near everything.

FORD
02-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Rick Rubin has proven to be a producer who can do well with just about any genre of music.

What other producer could go from Johnny Cash to Tom Petty to Aerosmith to Slayer all within the same week?

(Don't know if he's literally produced them all within the same week, but he has worked with all of the above, and many more.)

Maybe Van HALEN should give him a call?

ODShowtime
02-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I think he got the producer of the year grammy this year.

It's weird how totally archaic License to Ill is, yet it sounds great out of shitty radios... and sounds incredible from powerful car systems.

There was a comment about Van Halen I read once where they drove around and listened to their mixes in a car before the final master was finished to make sure it sounded good when you're cruisin'

Man I don't know how you old folks could get by without at least a tape deck and some decent speakers. It must have been rough in the 70s.

sadaist
02-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I said "Fairwarning," genius, and most critics consider it to be the crown jewel of the six-pack.

Yeah, I know. You stated it as fact that it was their best album. Many will agree with you, but there are many that won't. Music is subjective, and although I really like Fair Warning, I prefer VH I.

sadaist
02-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Man I don't know how you old folks could get by without at least a tape deck and some decent speakers. It must have been rough in the 70s.

The car stereo systems may not have been as good, but the drugs were better and cheaper.

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
There was a comment about Van Halen I read once where they drove around and listened to their mixes in a car before the final master was finished to make sure it sounded good when you're cruisin'

:lol: You throw in the 6X9's, put the power booster/EQ in the glovebox of the 70 Cutlass, and hook it all up to the 8-track !
Times have definitely changed!
I remember "upgrading" to a cassette player and listening to VH II; I for one was not happy with the mix b/c the guitar was weak and on one side of the car!:cool:

Nitro Express
02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
All I know about the Dixie Chicks is it would be fun to plug into their fiesty singer, call her by the wrong name, and hang on for the big ride. Woooooo Hoooooooo! Ridem Cowboy!

FORD
02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Yeah, I know. You stated it as fact that it was their best album. Many will agree with you, but there are many that won't. Music is subjective, and although I really like Fair Warning, I prefer VH I.

Let me settle this one.....

The first 4 Van HALEN albums were fucking perfection.

And the other 2 were pretty damn good too.

Case closed :cool:

sadaist
02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Let me settle this one.....

The first 4 Van HALEN albums were fucking perfection.

And the other 2 were pretty damn good too.

Case closed :cool:

That settles that.

ODShowtime
02-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Van Halen's one band that I could never choose a favorite album for. But it's either I or Fair Warning.

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Only thing that could have made the show better is if Neil Young's "Living With War" had won the Rock album of the Year, which was presented by President Gore. But that one went to the Chili Peppers (Dixie Chicks weren't nominated for it)

21,000+ posts by now Ford????

Holy shit buddy! See you've been hard at work!

Typical liberal...

Heh heh heh... How ya doing dude?

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
[i] LET THE EAGLE SOOOOOOOOAR..LIKE IT'S NEVER SOOOARED BEE - FOOOOOOOOORE...[i/]

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I can sing like a mother fucker.

What's with it?

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I can sing like a mother fucker.

What's with it?

Good to know you have something to fall back on.:rolleyes:

Steve Savicki
02-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Heh heh heh... How ya doing dude?
As I was surprised to see your post as well. Maybe you'll petition to be the new Repub Front Line mod. :D

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I didn't know anyone was looking.

Have we been overrun by libs?

Steve Savicki
02-16-2007, 10:38 PM
How could anyone forget? You were at DDLR. Got into some heavy arguments... er debates with FORD over there when the Army was in downtime?

We? Well, if we're all one happy family here in the Front Line, I'm a lib and I'd say the forum has been overrun by them.
I'm sure things have changed both politically and in the FL since you last posted... including who mods this forum. ;)

Sing like a motherfurker? You kareoke?

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 10:42 PM
You bet! Kareokie is da bomb

Who's modding again?

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Ah ha... Well maybe I can help tip the balance back a bit.

I just took an online political spectrum test that rates from ultra liberal to ultra conservative.

I scored more conservative than Newt...

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:04 PM
1500 US casualtie is an unprecidented success

How 'bout 3100?

How about now?

What fucking success?:mad:

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Happy birthday!

What kind of military experience you have?

Relax, not making a statement, just feeling ya out a bit

hideyoursheep

I just took an online political spectrum test that rates from ultra liberal to ultra conservative.

Ignorance is nothing to advertise.

John Ashcroft
Heh heh heh...

We shall see

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Happy birthday!

What kind of military experience you have?

Relax, not making a statement, just feeling ya out a bit

Thank you.

Enough.

How 'bout you....

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:13 PM
A bit...

How much is "enough" and why are you bitter?

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Not gonna pull it out to compare... I'll win

Seriously, what branch? What'd ya do?

I could probably find it from previous posts, but who has the time?

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:16 PM
A bit...

How much is "enough" and why are you bitter?

Any chance you'll be going back?

ODShowtime
02-16-2007, 11:16 PM
So JA's back. We could use a conservative who hasn't totally turned tail and run.

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Not gonna pull it out to compare... I'll win

Seriously, what branch? What'd ya do?

I could probably find it from previous posts, but who has the time?

You first....go ahead.

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Never dude. Proud and strong brother.

To answer your question sheep, I've volunteered for reserve duty. Too old to go back to active duty. The reserve unit I'd like to serve with has been activated more consecutive days than any other in history. Wanna guess which one?

But, don't know if they need me. We shall see.

My services have been offered

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Whoops, the "never dude" was a response to the "turn and run" post from OD

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Don't want you to get the wrong idea

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Now seriously, what'd ya do?

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Never dude. Proud and strong brother.

To answer your question sheep, I've volunteered for reserve duty. Too old to go back to active duty. The reserve unit I'd like to serve with has been activated more consecutive days than any other in history. Wanna guess which one?

But, don't know if they need me. We shall see.

My services have been offered

How old r u? or is that too taboo?:D

No, I don't know which one.

I understand the cutoff age now is 42 for first- timers.

They need help, that's for sure.

But I do not belive BushCo is worthy.

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Not in my branch buddy.

You gonna answer?

And what do you mean by "first-timers"

It's a foreign term to me.

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
What'd ya do?

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Oh, and about the "taboo" comment...

You won't distract me with this tired old tactic. I asked you a simple question.

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Well, what did YOU do? and I'm not ashamed of MY age (42).

But putting too much in my profile is too "I love me", so I let it slide.

First- timers would mean first time enlisting.

I still have some wiggle room with prior service should I decide to go that route.Maybe you do too.

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Is this where we whip our dicks out?

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Not in my branch buddy.

*sigh* and what branch would that be?

John Ashcroft
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Heh heh heh...

Your black avatar indicates you may win a dick size contest, but I think not!

After all, John Holmes was white! Heh heh heh...

Dude, Air Force. 10 years. Operations with a radar platform. Desert Storm 1, and Allied Force. I don't count Haiti as a real operation, and all between was part of "ongoing operations"

Haven't been shot at with an AK, there's a simple reason. I chose not to pursue that line of defense. Have been in the hot seat though. Maybe you know, it's not fun.

So, about you?

After all, I asked first.

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Fair enough.

19D D3

7 years.

that was enough. I had to start a rock band.

John Ashcroft
02-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Danke shon.

19D D3 obviously a specialty code which I will find in the morn my friend.

Not an AF one. Our format was a bit different.

But cheers! Hope to get to know ya.

And good luck with your rock band.

Steve Savicki
02-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Who's modding again?
It's now Nick, Lounge, Doc Love, and Warham.
FORD got transferred to the main DLR discussion.

FORD
02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
It's now Nick, Lounge, Doc Love, and Warham.
FORD got transferred to the main DLR discussion.

Not a bad place to be at the moment :cool:

hideyoursheep
02-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Danke shon.
19D D3 obviously a specialty code which I will find in the morn my friend.

You're gonna take the time to look that shit up?:lol:

Whatever .....

I don't get it.

I guess maybe you're taking the Neo-Con angle of whether or not I'm qualified to tell you Bush is a lousy Commander-in-Cheif...

Or if I have a "right" to question their actions..

Is that what this was for?:confused:

hideyoursheep
02-17-2007, 02:56 PM
And good luck with your rock band.

:lol: None of them were ever really "mine"..

Since about Jan. '92 untill '05 it has been 4, I think.

Look at it as a buisness venture with 4 or 5 other partners..

Some bail, some get fired, some(and alot of guys here can relate) get pressured into quitting by the jealous spouses. You know how it is. :cool:

hideyoursheep
02-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Hope to get to know ya.

John, you will never know my true identity.:D

hideyoursheep
02-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Not a bad place to be at the moment :cool:

That avatar kicks ass FORD...nice. :killer:

knuckleboner
02-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I didn't know anyone was looking.

of course. we're like a plague...:D

hideyoursheep
02-21-2007, 04:00 PM
"We"......
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Guitar Shark
02-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Welcome back Asscrotch... :D

Nickdfresh
02-21-2007, 08:39 PM

Good to know you're still mildly psychotic as eva!':D

Welcome back Asscroft.

knuckleboner
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
"We"......
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

was that directed at we?...

hideyoursheep
02-23-2007, 11:33 AM

No, this "we". ;)

hideyoursheep
02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Haven't been shot at with an AK, there's a simple reason. I chose not to pursue that line of defense.

It's not too late to change your mind.