PDA

View Full Version : Big problem with D'Addario strings

Cato
02-14-2007, 04:38 AM
how do you think of a extra 1st string that they are throwing in for good measure to a set?

I don't need it, because when I cut one string I change all.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1/GAYELVIS/strings_1.jpg

look. they are all un-used.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1/GAYELVIS/strings_2.jpg

can anyone tell them to lower the price instead of this useless service?

Eyes of the Night
02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Trippy ...

Cato
02-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Eyes
Trippy ...
haven't heard it in ages....

*slides Eyes a bucket of hot sauce*

:gulp:

jhale667
02-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I almost never break 1st strings...I need packs with extra 'D' strings...lol

Matt White
02-16-2007, 12:05 AM
I use Dean Markleys...and can't remember the last time I broke ANY string.......

:(

I gotta hit the weights:p

Diamondjimi
02-16-2007, 12:29 AM
D'Addario XL 10-46 has worked for me for ages.

Can't remember the last time I broke a string. I strangle them to death long before they break.
The extra string would come in handy in a gig situation.

jhale667
02-16-2007, 01:37 AM
I used GHS Boomer .10-.46s forever, then recently I moved up to .10-52s...LOVE THEM. But yeah, more often than not, if I break a string, it's a D. I change them before every gig so it's usually not a problem.

Nitro Express
02-16-2007, 03:18 AM
The Fender Super Bullet strings my 72 Strat Reissue came with from the factory are still on it and it's been two years and a lot of playing. They are starting to sound dead now. LOL! but amazingly I haven't broken any strings and I do lots of bends.

ELVIS
02-16-2007, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The Fender Super Bullet strings my 72 Strat Reissue came with from the factory are still on it and it's been two years and a lot of playing.

That's crazy...

Coyote
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Any string will withstand anything as long as you strech 'em first.

hideyoursheep
02-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
I almost never break 1st strings...I need packs with extra 'D' strings...lol

Damn, I thought I was the only one...:cool:

mako_kimura
02-16-2007, 10:44 PM
DR's are probably the best strings on the planet, I've only changed the strings once after taking the rusty factories off. Shame DR doesn't make any .008's

jhale667
02-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
DR's are probably the best strings on the planet, I've only changed the strings once after taking the rusty factories off. Shame DR doesn't make any .008's

The only people who use .08s are Yngwie...and pussies. ;)

I KEED! I make joke with you! :lol:

I've used DRs. Nice, but I can't imagine never changing my strings. I like Elixirs, too....:rolleyes:

Nitro Express
02-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That's crazy...

I've never seen strings hold up so well. I even used a little 9V battery powered Marshall amp for a slide. The strings cut little notches into the bottom of that plastic amp box like a saw! (Yes, I was drunk that night).

I refuse to take the strings off now. I'm going for a Guiness Book of World Records with them. LOL! Amazing! I've never seen anything like these strings.

Nitro Express
02-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Any string will withstand anything as long as you strech 'em first.

Just like pussy.

Nitro Express
02-17-2007, 03:23 AM
A small E string makes an excellent cheese cutter or murder weapon. Atatch a wood handle to each side and you can cut slices of cheese or someone's neck like butter!

Eyes of the Night
02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
I brake any kind of strings on my Wolfie ... that's floating ...

Nitro Express
02-18-2007, 01:45 AM
My Wolfies like to break strings.

indeedido
02-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm sure it is marketed more for beginners. They tend to break that string pretty often. I haven't broken a string in so long, I can't remembe when it was.

Coyote
02-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Just like pussy.

Exactly.

BrownSound1
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
I break G strings most of the time.....rarely the high E.

I'll be honest when it comes to strings...I don't think every "manufacturer" is a manufacturer. I figure there are MAYBE two or three that actually make strings for everyone else. Having said that, I hate GHS anything, not a fan of Ernie Balls, and don't like Dean Markleys. :D

jhale667
02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I break G strings most of the time.....rarely the high E.

I'll be honest when it comes to strings...I don't think every "manufacturer" is a manufacturer. I figure there are MAYBE two or three that actually make strings for everyone else.

You are correct, sir. :D

Mr Grimsdale
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I break G strings most of the time.....

ooh no missus no!

Nitro Express
02-23-2007, 04:56 PM
I've never been that string picky and D'Addario and GHS are string manufactures who also make private label strings. Now, what these companies do is wind the strings but they buy their wire from other manufactures.

By the time you get your pack of Brand X strings there could be as many as five or more sepparate companys involved there. One company distribute them, another winds them, other companies provide the wire and components and on an average set of guitar strings, you are looking at three different guages of nickel wire for wrap, plus the six different guage core wire.

This wire has to be extruded using specific metalurgical processes which is beyond the scope of most string manufactures.

If you think Ernie Ball is making all these components in house, they aren't just like Seymour Duncan doesn't make his own pickup bobbin wire.

Seshmeister
02-23-2007, 05:26 PM
I've been using Ernie Ball 9's for 20 years.

They usually rust before the break these days but that's probably due to the lack of playing I do now.

I remember D's being a problem too.

I used to never trim them so that I could put broken strings back on when money was tight.

Eyes of the Night
02-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Cato
haven't heard it in ages....

*slides Eyes a bucket of hot sauce*

:gulp:

That IS some funny shit broham ...

Nitro Express
02-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I've been using Ernie Ball 9's for 20 years.

They usually rust before the break these days but that's probably due to the lack of playing I do now.

I remember D's being a problem too.

I used to never trim them so that I could put broken strings back on when money was tight.

I loved the Floyd Rose when I was poor because the strings always broke at the bridge so you could unclamp it roll some more string out, clamp it up again and get more use out of the string.

I also found strings sounded pretty good if you played them all the time but tended to go when they were played a lot and then not played for awhile.

On electric guitars that are being played with lots of distortion, you can use a set of strings for a long time. They actually sound better a tad dead then they do new. On an accoustic guitar, you can get away with old strings as much; especially the nylon ones on a classical guitar.

Eddie Van Halen said in the studio he preffered old strings full of boogers and dirt but changed them everynight for live shows because they tended to break.