PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use any guitar recording software on there computer..help needed

col5150
02-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone around here uses any guitar software. I'm trying to get something to allow me to hook my gutar up to my h.p.pavilion laptop & record..and struggling big time.

any advice whats good and whats worth avoiding. I downloaded cakewalk but its a nightmare and wont recognize my guitar input

thanks

bluemustard
02-21-2007, 12:03 AM
I use cakewalk v.9
It's very old but still works for me.I use my 8 track too.
Just put my Guitar jackplug into my PC.

Maybe your cakewalk is configured for midi.
Gotta check audio properties and select soundcard and activate microphone line.

:tits:

doctor roth
02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I downloaded cool edit a while ago and still use it. It's not what i use for proper recording but i find its really useful for looping and multi tracking. If nothing else its good for practicing improv skills over chord progressions and such. Yes you can buy loop stations and such these days, but this was free. Im not too sure on how good the sound quality (in a professional sense) is because i dont have a really top end sound card in my PC. Well worth downloading something like it though, great practice tool if you're sitting around without other musos.

doctor roth
02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Ooops. Posted the reply before saying anything remotely useful. I use my GT3 to plug straight into the PC input. so guitar is plugged in as per normal to the effects unit and a guitar lead goes from the output (using the headphone out works well) into the input jack in the back of the PC. I just bought a $2 sterio lead adaptor that allows me to plug the guitar lead into the back of the PC. Like the 1st comment said you'll need to make sure that the application and windows are using the correct input

Panamark
02-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Try Kristal, its pretty good and even better, FREE !

I run it on the same PC as Cakewalk/Pro Tools and
frequently jump back to Kristal. Its very good if you
are used to the familiar mixer / multitrack recorder
interface...

Hint, if you are going to use it, Google Asio4All
this is a driver that will dramatically reduce latency
on standard sound cards. Also look up the free
Classic VST plugins... Great Stuff !

col5150
02-26-2007, 11:51 PM
thanks guys ive downloaded n-track studio and this seems to be pretty good, ill try your suggestions though and see which one works out best. The built in effects on n-track are pretty lame

Hardrock69
02-27-2007, 01:12 PM
There is another free multi-track program called Reaper that is pretty cool....

mako_kimura
02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
I use Cubase LE. It's pretty damn sweet, and very user friendly. Try it out in case nothing else works

Plexi Head
02-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Amplitude 2 is the best going around. I have owned this for a while and it is good. IK Multimedia have reprinted a review I did for this in a magazine on their website. I also use Waves GTR, this is also good but does not have as much bottom end in the cabinet simulations.
Guitar Pro in Logic Pro aint too bad. Guitar Rig is also pretty darn good.

I have jusr reviewed M-Audio Black Box and if you are looking for a total recording solution specifically for a guitar player this is incredible. You get M-AUDIO Pro Tools 7.3, the interface which has on board amp sims and effects, and around $4000 worth of Pro plug ins for Pro Tools like the Bomb Factory comps and EQ's. Amazing price and specifically designed for guitar players. No, I do not work for this company, it is just good.

Cheers

Nitro Express
03-01-2007, 12:01 AM
All Apple Computers come with a music recording package called Garage Band. It's part of the iLife bundle. It's a good program. I plug my guitar into my MacBook and record it.

Panamark
03-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Plexi Head
Amplitude 2 is the best going around. I have owned this for a while and it is good. IK Multimedia have reprinted a review I did for this in a magazine on their website. I also use Waves GTR, this is also good but does not have as much bottom end in the cabinet simulations.
Guitar Pro in Logic Pro aint too bad. Guitar Rig is also pretty darn good.

I have jusr reviewed M-Audio Black Box and if you are looking for a total recording solution specifically for a guitar player this is incredible. You get M-AUDIO Pro Tools 7.3, the interface which has on board amp sims and effects, and around $4000 worth of Pro plug ins for Pro Tools like the Bomb Factory comps and EQ's. Amazing price and specifically designed for guitar players. No, I do not work for this company, it is just good.

Cheers

G'day Charles ! :)

So you reckon this Amplitude 2 is the best for taking
a clean guitar signal and making it sound like its
running through a wall of overdriven Plexi's ?? :)

ThrillsNSpills
03-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Nice thread and I'm taking notes. :)

User friendly is important. If you get a good idea you want to be able to fix it somewhere fast or it flies away so to speak.
If you get a good B section in your head for something you're working on ,pushing buttons and changing screens isn't going to do it unless it's fast and efficient.
If you are fortunate enough to have a creative day when things flow, if you have to pull out a manual or something...well you know the deal..right brain to left...back to right, doesn't cut it.
Not to mention you're not warmed up anymore.
So to me anyway, whatever keeps the flow going would get my vote. (not to mention overdriven Plexi's)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Garageband!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
All Apple Computers come with a music recording package called Garage Band. It's part of the iLife bundle. It's a good program. I plug my guitar into my MacBook and record it.

Exactly, exactly.

rocknrolldork
03-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
There is another free multi-track program called Reaper that is pretty cool....

Thanks Hardrock! I'm digging the reaper!

Hey Panamark.... Does the Asio4All also work with Reaper?

Plexi Head
03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
G'day Charles ! :)

So you reckon this Amplitude 2 is the best for taking
a clean guitar signal and making it sound like its
running through a wall of overdriven Plexi's ?? :)

IT aint bad. Still need a good front end though. I use a Universal LA-610
which has the LA-2A repro and the 610 pre that Van Halen used on Van Halen 1 at Ocean Way. You should seriously consider Amplitude 2 it is great.