PDA

View Full Version : McCain Slams Rumsfeld

Steve Savicki
02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,125837,00.html

Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Monday the war in Iraq has been mismanaged for years and former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld will be remembered as one of the worst in history.

"We are paying a very heavy price for the mismanagement - that's the kindest word I can give you - of Donald Rumsfeld, of this war," the Arizona senator told an overflow crowd of more than 800 at a retirement community near Hilton Head Island, S.C. "The price is very, very heavy and I regret it enormously."

McCain, the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, complained that Rumsfeld never put enough troops on the ground to succeed in Iraq.

"I think that Donald Rumsfeld will go down in history as one of the worst secretaries of defense in history," McCain said to applause.

The comments were in sharp contrast to McCain's statement when Rumsfeld resigned in November, and failed to address the reality that President Bush is the commander in chief.

"While Secretary Rumsfeld and I have had our differences, he deserves Americans' respect and gratitude for his many years of public service," McCain said last year when Rumsfeld stepped down.

On a two-day campaign swing in South Carolina, McCain fielded questions from the crowd for more than an hour and said the United States can succeed in Iraq with additional troops and a new strategy. McCain has been a strong proponent of using more troops and favors Bush's increase of some 21,500 U.S. forces in the nearly four-year-old war.

"I have been saying for 3 1/2 years that we would be in this sad situation and this critical situation we are in today," he said.

McCain's bid for president was sidetracked in South Carolina in 2000 after a victory in New Hampshire. George W. Bush won the primary here and went on to win the nomination and White House.

"In life, one of the worst things you can do is hold a grudge," he said. "I felt the important thing for me to do with my life was to move forward after we lost our race. You have seen other people who have lost who mire themselves in bitterness and self pity. That's not what my life is all about."

Some in the crowd were Bush supporters who have not yet decided on a 2008 candidate.

"It's too early to say," said Paul Baker, a retiree from Niagara Falls, N.Y., who has lived in South Carolina about four years. "I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens."

Can anyone think of a worse Defense Secretary?
The worst pres and vice-pres in history, and now this.
The worst 8 years in history unless ©himpeachment is sooner.

hideyoursheep
02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
So why didn't he speak up before?

He knew the strategy and the number of troops being sent was fucked,he had his chance to speak up.
Put a fork in him, he's done.

Flip fucking flop!

Little Texan
02-21-2007, 02:53 PM
McCain actually expects to be able to be a legitimate contender for the Presidency talking about sending more troops to Iraq instead of withdrawing them and finding a way out? I think the majority of the American people spoke out loud and clear in November that they are sick of this war and ready for it to end. There's no way in hell he will be elected, but at least he sticks to his guns and doesn't change his rhetoric about Iraq just to gain votes.

Little Texan
02-21-2007, 03:00 PM
McCain is too in lock step with the Bush administration's policies and ideology, so voting for him would be like voting for more of the same, IMO, and who in the fuck would want four more years of this same bullshit that we've endured for the past 6-7 years? Not me, I'm voting for change, and I'm sure most of the rest of the populace besides the most ardent, beligerent, braindead Busheep agree with me.

Steve Savicki
02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
Flip fucking flop!
Perhaps more so than Kerry?

hideyoursheep
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Perhaps more so than Kerry?

If Kerry ever thought that Dumbsfeld had a clue ,then yes.Not like congress really had a choice about the type of intel they received from Bush/Cheney.But I sensed trouble from the start and I'm no War College grad.

My point is McCain kept quiet until Rum was gone,now he wants to blast away.He should have been on his ass constantly,but he stayed in line.

How convenient...

:mad:

blueturk
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
McCain just wants to be president. He doesn't give a fuck what he has to say or do. Anybody who would align himself with Bush after the way Dubya'a people smeared him in 2000 is just a political prostitute. But hey, aren't they all?

hideyoursheep
02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
McCain just wants to be president. He doesn't give a fuck what he has to say or do. Anybody who would align himself with Bush after the way Dubya'a people smeared him in 2000 is just a political prostitute. But hey, aren't they all?

Affirmatitty.

BTW,that avatar is hilarious!

Nickdfresh
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
McCain actually expects to be able to be a legitimate contender for the Presidency talking about sending more troops to Iraq instead of withdrawing them and finding a way out? I think the majority of the American people spoke out loud and clear in November that they are sick of this war and ready for it to end. There's no way in hell he will be elected, but at least he sticks to his guns and doesn't change his rhetoric about Iraq just to gain votes.

Well said...

McCain has bent over for, and then sucked, the Bush/Rove Republacun'ts coalitions' collective cock --after being politically destroyed by its smear machine in 99'-2000. How's that for a "flip-flopping" sellout willing to shill his soul to become president...

I've long since lost respect for him and his typical, "you're demoralizing the troops" cheap rhetorical crap. He's so out of step on Iraq, it's not funny anymore.

Good luck Johnny...

ODShowtime
02-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
So why didn't he speak up before?

He knew the strategy and the number of troops being sent was fucked,he had his chance to speak up.
Put a fork in him, he's done.

Flip fucking flop!

pretty much

Thanks, you've straightened me out on this guy for good.