PDA

View Full Version : Britain's Prince Harry to serve in Iraq

Steve Savicki
02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.yahoo.com/s/513599

Prince Harry, third in line to the British throne, is getting his wish to serve in Iraq.

The Ministry of Defense ended speculation that had been swirling for about a week by announcing Thursday the 22-year-old prince will be sent to Iraq with his Blues and Royals regiment in May or June.

Harry, a second lieutenant, will assume a troop commander's role.

Prime Minister
Tony Blair said Wednesday that British troop deployments will be cut by 1,600 in the coming months and that all bases except for Basra Palace and Basra Air Base will be handed over to Iraqi forces.

The narrowing of the British presence to the two locations in southern Iraq will mean any insurgent groups looking to target Troop Commander Wales — as he is known to his colleagues — will not have to look far to find him. That has led to some concern that his presence could bring an extra risk to his fellow soldiers.

He will lead a team of 12 men in four armored reconnaissance vehicles, and could become the first royal to see combat since his uncle Prince Andrew served in the Falklands war against Argentina in 1982.

Harry has been a frequent face on the front of Britain's tabloid newspapers, which have provided a constant stream of coverage of his party-going lifestyle at some of London's liveliest nightspots.

He has also acknowledged drinking before being of legal age and smoking marijuana. In January 2006, he issued an apology after being pictured in a newspaper at a costume party dressed as a Nazi, including a swastika armband.

But he has been serious about is joining "my boys" in Iraq. After graduating from Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, he insisted on getting the opportunity to serve his country.

"There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," he said in an interview to mark his 21st birthday. "That may sound very patriotic, but it's true."

The ministry has previously said that Harry could be kept out of situations where his presence could jeopardize his comrades.

Military experts were divided over whether Harry's presence would make the situation more dangerous for his comrades.

"I don't think your average fellow officer will care that much," said Amyas Godfrey, a military expert at the Royal United Services Institute, a London-based think tank. "There needs to be more consideration with him because of the media interest, but it won't be a burden."

But Michael Clarke, a professor of war studies at King's College University in London, said it was likely insurgent groups would be attracted to Harry's unit.

"In a sense, his celebrity might be a factor in making the security situation for his troop more dangerous," he said, though he added that banning Harry from going to Iraq would have done more harm than good.

"He would be appalled if his troop went to do something without his command and they would be too," Clarke said. "If he didn't go, it would be very bad for the morale of the troop. It's like a family."

In joining the military, Harry followed a royal tradition. His father,
Prince Charles, was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, and a ship commander, and Harry's grandfather, Prince Philip, had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy during World War II.

Prince Andrew was a Royal Navy pilot.

<center>http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070222/capt.lon10602221041.britain_prince_harry_iraq_lon1 06.jpg?x=232&y=345&sig=cjMtB0zTgxBXjHv7phPvmw--</center>

I'm not going to say he's wishing for suicide. It's his choice to serve or not.
I just hope he stays safe.

Seshmeister
02-22-2007, 11:35 AM
http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/30894/1172157205.gif

Coyote
02-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Surprise, surprise...

Prince Harry faces ban from the Iraqi front line

By Michael Evans, Defence Editor
PRINCE Harry may be barred from serving with his men when his regiment is deployed to Iraq next year because of concerns for his safety.

Clarence House and the Ministry of Defence said yesterday there was official concern that the posting could pose an unacceptable risk to the Prince and those under his command. The same worries will arise when Prince William finishes at Sandhurst later this year.

Prince Harry, 21, who recently passed out from Sandhurst as a Second Lieutenant, has said that he intends to serve with his men wherever they are sent and was reported yesterday to have threatened to resign if he were not allowed on the front line.

But a defence source told The Times: “We can’t have a situation where Prince Harry’s presence draws enemy fire.” He said that the Army hierarchy faced a huge problem as Prince Harry’s unit, The Blues and Royals of the Household Cavalry, was set to go to Iraq next year. The MoD had a “duty of care” towards every member of the Armed Forces. If Prince Harry’s presence in an operational area attracted undue attention, “we will have to see what mechanics might be needed to deal with that”.

Clarence House said: “Prince Harry is very clear that he is joining the Army, and the Household Cavalry in particular, to serve his country as an operational soldier. On occasion, there may be some circumstances in which his overt presence might attract additional attention and increase the risk for his regiment and for himself. In these instances, it is a judgment call which would principally be made by his commanding officer.”

Prince Harry will soon start an intensive five-month training course at Bovington Camp in Dorset where he will learn to become a platoon commander of 11 soldiers for an armoured reconnaissance role. His publicly declared insistence on being with his men at all costs appeared previously to have been backed by the MoD.

Prince Harry said in an interview to mark his 21st birthday last year: “There’s no way I’m going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country . . . That may sound very patriotic but it’s true.”

Major-General Sebastian Roberts, commander of the Household Division, which includes the Household Cavalry, said last week that it was “eminently possible” that Prince Harry could be in a danger zone within 12 months. Defence sources said the Army hierarchy was trying to work out whether he should go with the squadron, stay behind or be appointed to a post at staff headquarters in Basra, in which capacity he would not go out on patrol.

The decision to allow Prince Harry and Prince William to attend Sandhurst and become officers in the infantry — Prince William is expected to join the Welsh Guards — has been regarded by a number of senior army officers as a high-risk strategy.

Being a frontline junior officer in Iraq poses significantly more risk than, for example, serving on board a Royal Navy ship. The Duke of York served as a Sea King helicopter pilot during the 1982 Falklands conflict, but while he faced the risks of battle like any other Serviceman, he was unlikely to be a personal target for Argentine forces. And while no one wants to overstate the risk of the princes being viewed as trophy targets by insurgents or terrorists in Iraq, officers say that the expected media attention could have dangerous consequences.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article708666.ece

hideyoursheep
02-22-2007, 02:38 PM
How does the Prince/ Lieutenant rank structure work?

Would that be like Condi becoming a platoon leader?

Does he have the authority to override orders given by his Commander?

This guy has got the right idea-it's not about politics, it's about your brothers-in-arms. That's a true leader.

scamper
02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Is he that Potter guy they made all the movies about?

Seshmeister
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
How does the Prince/ Lieutenant rank structure work?

Would that be like Condi becoming a platoon leader?

Does he have the authority to override orders given by his Commander?

Of course not. He's just like any other young officer apart ffrom the danger he will be targeted by hostiles. The Royal family have no political or military power in the UK.

hideyoursheep
02-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Of course not. He's just like any other young officer apart ffrom the danger he will be targeted by hostiles. The Royal family have no political or military power in the UK.

Thanks.

What does the Royal Family do?

Seshmeister
02-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Fuck knows.

Bring a lot of American tourists to London?:)

Nickdfresh
02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Sponge off the nation, pay no taxes?

Little Texan
02-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Provide headlines for tabloids.

hideyoursheep
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Well, if nothing else, they got their money's worth with this one.:cool:

Oxford
02-22-2007, 11:26 PM
I am sure it will be on some lower level capacity.If he is in charge of a squadron he will be a wanted man by the insurgents.Beat the hell out of me that this is even happening.Those Al-Qeada read the internet and know the news.I am really amaze.But admire his passion and guts that he wants to do something of this level.

Seshmeister
02-22-2007, 11:46 PM

For what it's worth they finally started paying taxes a few years ago.

They cost the UK taxpayer about $100m a year which isn't a huge amount in the great scheme of things.

I would get rid of them in a heartbeat but I'm still in the minority on that so whatever.

scamper
02-23-2007, 09:32 AM
For what it's worth they finally started paying taxes a few years ago.

They cost the UK taxpayer about $100m a year which isn't a huge amount in the great scheme of things.

I would get rid of them in a heartbeat but I'm still in the minority on that so whatever.

How big is the family?

Steve Savicki
02-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Collect royalties from everything published regarding Diana's passing.

Seshmeister
02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
They go to a charity.

Mr Grimsdale
02-23-2007, 02:18 PM

I used to think the same way, but I've come round to thinking that they have a far better appreciation of what the country is about and real people than almost all politicians.

In fact, I'd go so far as the country needs a short sharp shock of absolute monarchy to sort it out. Everything is overly democratic these days.

Maybe that's a bit extreme but I think one of the worst things done by the Labour administration is the way they've changed the House of Lords. The original hereditary peers came from families with hundreds of years involvement with the country and I believe understood it's needs far better than the rent-a-mob that we'll have from now on. All that will happen is that whatever party is in power will install their own cretins in the House of Lords.

Not that any of this is of the slightest interest to anyone outside the UK!

Seshmeister
02-23-2007, 05:10 PM
NURSE!

Angel
02-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
I used to think the same way, but I've come round to thinking that they have a far better appreciation of what the country is about and real people than almost all politicians.

In fact, I'd go so far as the country needs a short sharp shock of absolute monarchy to sort it out. Everything is overly democratic these days.

Maybe that's a bit extreme but I think one of the worst things done by the Labour administration is the way they've changed the House of Lords. The original hereditary peers came from families with hundreds of years involvement with the country and I believe understood it's needs far better than the rent-a-mob that we'll have from now on. All that will happen is that whatever party is in power will install their own cretins in the House of Lords.

Well, to some of us "commonwealth" nations, I guess it does. ;) I'd like to get rid of the monarch ties here, the Governor General's office costs us a fortune, but we would have to revamp our entire political system, which would cost even more, I suppose.

Nickdfresh
02-23-2007, 06:13 PM
http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/30894/1172157205.gif

He'll make a fine SS Panzer Grenadier!

Nickdfresh
02-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale

But aren't a lot of royals defective of DNA as a result of inbreeding? Sort of decaying mentally from decades of if inter-familial intercourse? Just high brow sister fuckers?

Coyote
02-23-2007, 07:22 PM
But aren't a lot of royals defective of DNA as a result of inbreeding? Sort of decaying mentally from decades of if inter-familial intercourse? Just high brow sister fuckers?

Short & Blunt: yes.

hideyoursheep
02-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Someone in that clan better bang a hot broad FAST!!

If good looks run in that family,someone left the door open!

Angel
02-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Someone in that clan better bang a hot broad FAST!!

If good looks run in that family,someone left the door open!

Why do you think Charles knocked up Diana? William's a little cutie. Of course, for some strange reason, Harry looks like the soccer player that Di had the affair with... :D