PDA

View Full Version : The troops vs. Anna Nicole Smith

Steve Savicki
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Gawsh, it's so true...

Only a few hours after Anna Nicole Smith died, her name and face was everywhere- plastered all over the tv, internet, and radio. Because of her fame and money, it's as if the entire nation knew her personally, and can't stop talking about her death. People are "sick" over the "tragic" death of "someone so young".

But what makes me sick is this. There are soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines dying for this country every day - more than 3,000 so far, to be exact. Are their names and faces plastered everywhere? No. They get a passing mention - "Four Marines Killed in Iraq" ... "Plane Shot Down, Killing Three" ... and what are they doing over there? Defending our country.

It is sad that she died at 39. But what's worse are the men and women that are willingly serving and dying at 19. Many of these people volunteered for their tours of duty. I think that they are more important than a former Playboy Bunny hawking a diet pill.

It is sad that her son died. But how many of those in our service never got to say a proper goodbye to those in their lives that died? How many of them didn't even get to go to a loved one's funeral? There are men and women who don't get to say goodbye to a treasured grandparent or favourite uncle, because that's not close enough for the military.

It is sad that she is leaving behind a newborn baby. But there are those overseas who will never even see their newborn babies. Those that will never say goodbye to their parents, or their children, or their spouses, or their friends. There are parents that will have to bury their sons and daughters, some of them so young that they were barely out of high school. There are children that will never know their father as more than a Purple Heart on a shelf. There are women who are widows before 30, men who are suddenly single fathers and no good answer to "Why isn't mommy coming home?"

To me, it says something that Ms. Smith's death is more important to this nation than the deaths of those men and women who are serving overseas. It says something that everyone is willing to talk about how wrong this war is - but when it comes down to the people who are fighting this war, no one is willing to take more than a few seconds for them. To me, it says that maybe this nation needs to get its priorities in order.

You may not agree with the war. You may not even support the troops. But do you really think that it's okay to put a drug-addicted celebrity's death above that of someone who died just doing his job?

hideyoursheep
02-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I feel the same way whenever they mention Baldy Spears, Jesus Cruise, Bradjelina and their uberchildren, the Duke rape case, the non-existent war on Christmas, and Pelosi's plane.
They have nothing vested in this war,they don't participate, they sacrifice nothing for no one. People are totally apathetic because it doesn't affect them. Any one who is pro-war is only that way because they know they would never fight it.
Bring back the fucking draft,I says.

That'll wake 'em up.:mad:

Steve Savicki
02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Maybe People magazine needs to do an issue just on the troops.

knuckleboner
02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
it's the cult of celebrity.

1 celebrity death is always more interesting to the masses than any 2 non-celebrity deaths. it's a fact of life. it has nothing to do with the troops.

Steve Savicki
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
And that's what's sad considering the circumstances.

hideyoursheep
02-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
it's the cult of celebrity.

1 celebrity death is always more interesting to the masses than any 2 non-celebrity deaths.

I guess I'm not a member.

;)

knuckleboner
02-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
I guess I'm not a member.

;)

shame there aren't more like you.

hideyoursheep
02-22-2007, 10:37 PM
..and you, and Steve....

:bottle:

Nitro Express
02-23-2007, 05:50 AM
It's the cult of celebrity of course but what fuels this intrest? The average person dreams of comming into a massive amount of wealth quickley and easily and lot's of people want to feel important aka by being famouse.

Britney Speers and Anna Nicole Smith both came into wealth and fame and came from nowhere. They achieved what many dream about.

Why do we like to watch the train wreck? We are jelouse of these people because they recieved what we only can dream about. When it goes away, we love to watch that too.

It's all about envy, coveting, and jelousey. The person busting their ass off as a waitress hears and see's Anna Nicole Smith comming into money just by meeting the right people in the right places creates envy gallore. Then when it all starts to unravel, the enviouse observer likes to watch the resulting soap opera. The truth is, it's nice to see the lucky ones don't get a free lunch out of life in the long-run.

Now why don't we care about soldiers as much? We don't want to be them. We don't envy them. Who's kidding who? The average American is glad they aren't in Iraq and why do they care if someone they don't envy gets screwed? I really hate to say this more than anything, but in American society in general, soldiers are expendable.

hideyoursheep
02-23-2007, 12:09 PM
[i]Originally posted by Nitro Express
Britney Speers and Anna Nicole Smith ...Why do we like to watch the train wreck? They are expendable.

That's MY reality. ;)

StretchOnBass
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree totally!! I was drafted in 1966, I am an old fart, because there was a little thing they called Viet Nam. I bitched and moaned for a few weeks and then I soon started to become a MAN. I went through basic training and came out proud as hell.

I think military service is a good influence in any man's life. Look at the Britts. Prince Harry is going to Iraq.

Now on with the celebrity crap, we should send them to a mental ward and get tuned up. They have a few loose wires....

scamper
02-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Does anyone really watch the celebrity crap, or is just the media trying to shove more shit down our throats. I might get flamed for this but it seems to me that TV news is all about trying to make the news not report it.

Steve Savicki
02-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't watch the former so I'll have to go with the latter, scamp.

hideyoursheep
02-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Does anyone really watch the celebrity crap, or is just the media trying to shove more shit down our throats. I might get flamed for this but it seems to me that TV news is all about trying to make the news not report it.

You're right.

Anna Nichole Golddigger's situation is unique for a celebrity[?] but does it warrant so much coverage?

No, I says. And she herself created this circus.

And fuck Britney in all 3 holes.Who cares?:p

hideyoursheep
02-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by StretchOnBass
I agree totally!! I was drafted in 1966, I am an old fart, because there was a little thing they called Viet Nam. I bitched and moaned for a few weeks and then I soon started to become a MAN. I went through basic training and came out proud as hell.

You've got to be the eldest Dave fan I've ever known,Stretch!

If I can get your attention off topic for a minute, what was your take on the Kerry/ Swiftboat thing?

And welcome home!!

:baaa:

knuckleboner
02-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by scamper

TV news is all about ratings. if nobody watched it, the news wouldn't show it.

scamper
02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
TV news is all about ratings. if nobody watched it, the news wouldn't show it.

I plead ignorance on the subject, how do they know?

Nitro Express
02-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Companies like AC Nelson and Arbitron use sophisticated market research tools to statistically derive ratings. It's a big business in itself.

The higher the ratings from these companies, the more the networks can charge for advertising during the highly rated shows.

Nitro Express
02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Believe me. There aren't to many accidents in the media. Everything is calculated by people who think they know what they are doing. They are trying to maximize the revinue through scientific means and that is what has ruined anything artistic in the mass media.