PDA

View Full Version : Opeth Appreciation!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Dudes, this band is AMAZING.

Let me be the first to say that I hate death metal.... but something about Opeth keeps my interest. Easily my favorite band right now.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5g58RGSYEY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5g58RGSYEY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

God, I wish I could but that talent in a bottle.

Dan
02-27-2007, 11:36 PM
:killer:

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-27-2007, 11:38 PM
They have the power to give goosebumps, yet they have the power to conjure the dead!

Originally posted by Dan
:killer:

Absolutely.

Dan
02-27-2007, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zAi7DC15M
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B5zAi7DC15M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B5zAi7DC15M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Fucking beautiful song.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-28-2007, 12:03 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3yeHuMoL1p0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3yeHuMoL1p0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Riff is insane...

Dan
02-28-2007, 01:43 AM
They are Fucking Ace.

bueno bob
02-28-2007, 04:36 AM
Glad you approve. They really opened the door to death metal for me. I was in a local music store and ran into Kreator's original bassist working there part time, just hanging out doing whatnot, and he turned me onto them, I haven't looked back since then.

Been a diehard fan ever since...

bueno bob
02-28-2007, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
God, I wish I could but that talent in a bottle.

And you know, that's the funny thing about it - to talk to Michael Akerfeldt or listen to him talk in an interview, he's the most down to earth, low-key, quiet and reserved dude you could ever hope to meet. The man's a genius, the band is genius and it's just all no big thing to them...to hear him say it, he doesn't think much of himself in regards to lyrics and just downplays his songwriting ability anytime he's asked...

Talent and humility - very rare combination...

binnie
02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Merry finally gets into Opeth!

Once your ears into it, there's no turning back!

bueno bob
02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
What a good day so far! Merry's into Opeth; we've got a new taste of Dio/Sabbath; the only thing that could make the day perfect is for me to be able to fondle, caress and do other assorted naughtiness with the boobs in my signature!

:D

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Kreator's original bassist

Been a diehard fan ever since...

Dude, AWESOME!

And you know, that's the funny thing about it - to talk to Michael Akerfeldt or listen to him talk in an interview, he's the most down to earth, low-key, quiet and reserved dude you could ever hope to meet. The man's a genius, the band is genius and it's just all no big thing to them...to hear him say it, he doesn't think much of himself in regards to lyrics and just downplays his songwriting ability anytime he's asked...

Talent and humility - very rare combination...

Yeah, I thought they were the coolest guys in the world after seeing the Ghost Reveries DVD.

Originally posted by binnie
Merry finally gets into Opeth!

Once your ears into it, there's no turning back!

No duh, man! So sweet... easily my favorite band.

caress and do other assorted naughtiness with the boobs in my signature!

Don't stop, believin'!

Matt White
02-28-2007, 11:54 PM
I've got a couple of their cds....

What the one...Blackwater Park or some such...

and Damnation.......

Talented bunch...........

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-02-2007, 04:29 AM
I recommend their newest one, Ghost Reveries.

Check out Ghost of Perdition, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, and the Grand Conjuration.

Last_Child
03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
uhh.. I tried to like them, but.. Damnation sucked & the cookie monsters vocals ruined it all.

But!
Fuck me, they are talented!

bueno bob
03-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, if you didn't like the "cookie monster" vocals, you weren't listening to "Damnation"...

binnie
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Last_Child
uhh.. I tried to like them, but.. Damnation sucked & the cookie monsters vocals ruined it all.

But!
Fuck me, they are talented!

You've got tp persevere with them, they're not one of those bands that you're gonna love straight off the bat, it's an aquired taste...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-02-2007, 04:45 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEP4Nz5tsgw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEP4Nz5tsgw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Their cookie monster vocals are actually really good. I can understand what he is saying and they are appropriately used.... it's not fucking Cannibal Corpse.

Last_Child
03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, if you didn't like the "cookie monster" vocals, you weren't listening to "Damnation"...

Nope, were listening to Blackwater Park and some earlier records.

Originally posted by binnie
You've got tp persevere with them, they're not one of those bands that you're gonna love straight off the bat, it's an aquired taste...

I know that. I tried to get into them for a perioed, but it didn't work out.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-04-2007, 05:02 PM
You should check out Damnation, or some of the more predominately soft songs on the harder records.

mako_kimura
03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Damn, now I'm an Opeth fan! The Grand Conjouration is a killer tune! Thanks to Bob and Merrykissmass for converting me

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
Damn, now I'm an Opeth fan! The Grand Conjouration is a killer tune! Thanks to Bob and Merrykissmass for converting me

Thank Bob the most. He used the force to convert my ass.

Actually, both binnie and Bob.

binnie showed me Carcass, which was a gateway to harder things. Opeth was natural to me. My biggest regret is that I didn't appreciate their music when I had the chance to see them on Gigantour.

ThrillsNSpills
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Carcass, which was a gateway to harder things.

Necrophilia?

:)

seriously though, sounds like a damn good band.
gotta give it a serious listen.

Bob's got me curious about Savatage too. (sp?)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Savatage is a progressive heavy metal band founded by the brothers Jon and Criss Oliva in 1979. The band is known for recording many concept albums.

Uh... hell yes, that enough is alone to get me interested.

Last_Child
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
You should check out Damnation, or some of the more predominately soft songs on the harder records.

I had that record for a while until I sold to a friend of mine who is a hardcore Opeth fan.

I didn't especially like it though..

bueno bob
03-05-2007, 04:02 PM
If you're going to listen to Savatage, I HIGHLY recommend anything between the era of 1983 ("Sirens") and 1994 ("Handful of Rain"). Criss Oliva, the most UNDERSUNG guitarist of the 80s IMO, died in '93 and was replaced by Alex Skolnik (ex Testament) by '94 for the "Handful of Rain" album, which was basically a farewell album to Criss.

As far as I'm concerned, though, Savatage pretty much quit existing in 1995 and forward; the band's actually much closer to being Trans-Siberian Orchestra at that point, and since they started the TSO thing round about then, there's not much distinction between the two. Savatage, as it was, quit existing when Criss died.

The only crap from the classic era was "Fight for the Rock" (1986), when Atlantic Records forced Jon Oliva to record the songs he was still in the process of writing for John Waite as a new Savatage album - everybody knew it was a bad idea, no one more than Savatage, and...it was... :)

Good band, though, well worth looking at.

mako_kimura
03-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Criss Oliva, the most UNDERSUNG guitarist of the 80s IMO, died in '93 and was replaced by Alex Skolnik (ex Testament) by '94 for the "Handful of Rain" album, which was basically a farewell album to Criss.

I thought Chris Caffery replaced him, then Alex came in when TSO started

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Does this Savatage band sound anything like Helloween, before I begin?

mako_kimura
03-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Definitely not. Why, do you not like Helloween?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
Definitely not. Why, do you not like Helloween?

No, they suck.

None of that over-dramatic metal like Edguy or Avantasia.

binnie
03-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Does this Savatage band sound anything like Helloween, before I begin?

No. They sound a little like Queensryche (a little!) with piano at times and crazy guitar playing.

Quite Operatic at times (Gutter Ballet).

I'm not really a fan, just can't get into them: I can appreciate them, they can play REALLY well, and they are invnetive and innovative, but it's just not my thing...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
06-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, I have been listening to a lot of Opeth lately... and I just heard Opeth's cover of Deep Purple's "Soldier of Fortune".

Åkerfeldt should be proud... his voice is beautiful.

This song shames the original.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3n3xhXZ5Fc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3n3xhXZ5Fc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
07-02-2007, 03:51 AM
I don't know about it being better than the original.

It's great, but the original has a certain magic too it...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-02-2007, 03:54 AM
whatever, just come out with a new album already åkerfeldt!

Golden AWe
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Going to see them this sunday oon a festival...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Geez, you're lucky!

Fill us in when you get back... maybe they'll surprise you and play a song from their new album.

binnie
08-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Opeth are set to drop a new record. Apparently it is something of a departure in sound: more progressive and less metallic.

Anyone heard much about it?

rocknrolldork
08-18-2011, 08:33 AM
I haven't heard much about the album other than they have something new coming out. Love this band though! They are playing Louisville and Nashville next week. Would love to catch at least one of those shows.

ashstralia
08-18-2011, 08:41 AM
.Blackwater Park or some such..

gotta love those 12 minute songs. in my top 10.

Golden AWe
09-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm falling in love with the new album. Amazing and new. The last few were good, but not really anything new for Opeth.

Take the new album and the song "Slither" for example. What a smashing appreciation towards Ritchie Blackmore of the 70's, Purple and Rainbow...

Be open-minded! The album's different.

"...GOD IS DEAD."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1pi7Dn87mY

binnie
09-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I'll be picking up the new one on Monday, along with Mastodon, Machine Head and Sebastian Bach. I'll be deaf by the end of the week.

Opeth are easily one of the best bands in the world - not just heavy bands, but bands. Period.

binnie
12-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I've been listening to 'Heritage' a lot. It's quite a step to the right.

What do you guys make of it?

Matt White
01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
I've been listening to 'Heritage' a lot. It's quite a step to the right.

What do you guys make of it?

I got it recently on itunes..............

I dig it!!!

Been listening to more "ambient" music of late...Ozric Tentacles...Porcupine Tree....very good stuff

neuralfraud
01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I love their music and really became a fan just before blackwater park came out. My Arms Your Hearse was the first album I heard and was blown away; I had to start from the beginning and listen to all of their music. If I could describe them succinctly, I'd say "Musical Genius."

Now, with that having been said....

I FUCKING HATE PER WIBERG'S STUPID FUCKING KEYBOARD PLAYING; I'M GLAD HE'S OUT!!!

Mike seems to have lost his mind first booting peter then hiring what can only be described as a circus organ player to ruin their last 2 albums.

I tried to listen to heritage but a lot of it seems directionless. The high point for me is ghost reveries. I like watershed but the moments that feature per's keyboard interludes make me want to kick the stereo.

binnie
01-17-2012, 03:08 AM
As it stands, I respect 'Heritage' a lot, I just don't really like it.

By any standard, it's a good record. But I just can't listen to it without a sense of what's missing.

WACF
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
As it stands, I respect 'Heritage' a lot, I just don't really like it.

By any standard, it's a good record. But I just can't listen to it without a sense of what's missing.

I need to give it more of a chance...but for me I did not find that wow moment.

I do like it...I just don't stick with it.