PDA

View Full Version : Joe Torre's brother waiting for kidney transplant

Bob_R
02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/02/27/2010.ap.bbo.frank.torre.1st.ld.writethru.0182/index.html

Joe Torre's brother waiting for kidney transplant
Posted: Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 5:22 PM

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -Joe Torre's brother could undergo a kidney transplant in the next couple of months after tests determined two of his children are a match for the procedure.

Former major leaguer Frank Torre, the brother of the New York Yankees' manager, needs the operation because of medication he's taken since receiving a new heart more than a decade ago.

"He's excited,'' Joe Torre said Tuesday. "It could be a month, it could be two months. There are other tests that have to be taken, not as far as matchups, for whoever the donor is going to be, physical-wise. Make sure you can go through it, too.''

Frank Torre, 75, spent seven seasons with the Milwaukee Braves and Philadelphia Phillies from 1956-63. He had a heart transplant in October 1996. The following day he watched from his hospital bed as his brother managed the Yankees to victory in the World Series clincher against Atlanta.

Dave's PA Rental
02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
That heart transplant was TEN YEARS AGO??? Holey shit, time fucking keeps going faster the older you get.

Red Sox fans deeply respect Joe Torre. He is the only Yankee I ever applauded. The only time I went to Yankee Stadium was in 98 or 99...it was a game where they got their rings for the previous year's WS. I sat out in the RF bleachers, too. (No Sox gear on, though. I'm not stupid ;)) Clapped when Torre came out to get his ring...

Bob_R
03-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
The only time I went to Yankee Stadium was in 98 or 99...it was a game where they got their rings for the previous year's WS. I sat out in the RF bleachers, too. (No Sox gear on, though. I'm not stupid ;))

Yeah, smart move dude. :)