PDA

View Full Version : Total Lunar Eclipse to Be 1st in 3 Years

Ally_Kat
03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Total Lunar Eclipse to Be 1st in 3 Years

LONDON (AP) -- The first total lunar eclipse in three years will give nearly every continent at least a partial view when the moon turns a shade of crimson as light reaching it from the sun is blotted out by the Earth.

People in the eastern parts of North and South America will find the moon already partially or totally eclipsed by the time it rises over the horizon, while east Asia will see the eclipse cut short by moonset.

Earth's shadow will begin moving across the moon at 3:18 p.m. EST, with the total eclipse occurring at 5:44 p.m. EST and lasting more than an hour.

Europe, Africa and the Middle East will have the best view, weather permitting; eastern Australia, Alaska and New Zealand will miss Saturday's show but will have front row seats to the next total lunar eclipse, on Aug. 28.

Lunar eclipses occur when Earth passes between the sun and the moon, blocking the sun's light. The event is rare because the moon is usually above or below the plane of Earth's orbit.

Sunlight still reaches the moon during total eclipses, but is refracted through Earth's atmosphere, bathing the moon in an eerie reddish light.

A variety of webcasts were carrying the event, and astronomers urged the public not to miss out on the spectacle.

"It's not an event that has any scientific value, but it's something everybody can enjoy," said Robert Massey of Britain's Royal Astronomical Society.

Eyes of the Night
03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Trippy ... to bad we're on da west! ...

katie
03-03-2007, 07:14 PM
just been looking at it in the UK 10pm to midnight the moon had a nice reddish glow

Katie

Eyes of the Night
03-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Niiice ... maybe as red as my eyes are right now? ...

Seshmeister
03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

It's been fun watching the Bible being proved as bullshit for an hour tonight. For once here in Scotland it was a clear night.

It was very cool but unlike a solar eclipse the moon never disappears just gets darker with a tinge of red.

Cheers!

:gulp:

WARF
03-03-2007, 07:28 PM
What happened?
Did Fabulous Shadow Bendover???

WARF
03-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by katie
just been looking at it in the UK 10pm to midnight the moon had a nice reddish glow

Katie

That was the same red glow I saw, when I was slappin' your ass from the back DOGGYSTYLE!!!

FORD
03-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice to see that Sesh can work his blasphemous hatred of God into just about any thread. :(

Seshmeister
03-03-2007, 08:38 PM
BURN THE BLASPHEMER!:D

What you saying FORD?

I'm wrong and the Bible is right?

You're making me feel like Galileo here man...:)

Cheers!

FORD
03-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
BURN THE BLASPHEMER!:D

What you saying FORD?

I'm wrong and the Bible is right?

You're making me feel like Galileo here man...:)

Cheers!

You know God didn't write that shit, so why did you have to bring Him into it?

Seshmeister
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
A lot of Christians say that the Bible is the word of God.

If it isn't then it's the writings of primative people.

Given the incredible unscientific claims of the Bible then if it has no unfallible diety input then what does that leave you with?

Tradition?

Cheers!

FORD
03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
I really never look at the Old Testament as anything other than a historical document myself. It was written in the context of the times, and in that context, the sun and the moon looked like a couple of big lightbulbs in the sky because the concept of a giant ball of flaming gas 93 million miles away, and another big ball of rock 250,000 miles away reflecting light from the other one really wouldn't have made much sense to them.

Seshmeister
03-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok.

So what's the difference with the New Testament?

Also remember that Jesus is reported as saying the Old Testament was all true.

FORD
03-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Ok.

So what's the difference with the New Testament?

Also remember that Jesus is reported as saying the Old Testament was all true.

If Jesus said anything on that subject, He probably would have been referring to the major stuff like Moses and the prophets. not minor details which again the people of 2000 years ago were in no better position to question than those around in Moses' time.

bueno bob
03-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Didn't get much out here - drove about 60 miles to get a good vantage point, but the cloud cover obscured most of it.

bluemustard
03-04-2007, 02:01 AM
I saw the eclipse.
I wanted to film it but was to dark.
I did make a timelapse of the clouds a couple of hours before it happened at 20 frames a minute.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKqTcdfrk3o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKqTcdfrk3o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
03-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by FORD
If Jesus said anything on that subject, He probably would have been referring to the major stuff like Moses and the prophets. not minor details which again the people of 2000 years ago were in no better position to question than those around in Moses' time.

Jesus believed that the Old Testament was divinely inspired, the veritable Word of God. He said, "The Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35). He referred to Scripture as "the commandment of God" (Matthew 15:3) and as the "Word of God" (Matthew 15:6). He also indicated that it was indestructible: "Until Heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law, until all is accomplished" (Matthew 5:18). Notice that he mentions even the words and letters!

When dealing with the people of His day, whether it was with the disciples or religious rulers, Jesus constantly referred to the Old Testament: "Have you not read that which was spoken to you by God?" (Matthew 22:31); "Yea; and have you never read, 'Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babes thou hast prepared praise for thyself'?" (Matthew 21:16, citing Psalm 8:2); and "Have you not read what David did?" (Matthew 12:3). Examples could be multiplied to demonstrate that Jesus was conversant with the Old Testament and its content. He quoted from it often and He trusted it totally.

He confirmed many of the accounts in the Old Testament, such as the destruction of Sodom and the death of Lot's wife (Luke 17:29, 32), the murder of Abel by his brother Cain (Luke 11:51), the calling of Moses (Mark 12:26), the manna given in the wilderness (John 6:31-51), the judgment upon Tyre and Sidon (Matthew 1-1:21), and many others.

Not only did Jesus confirm the historicity of these accounts, He also authenticated some of the passages that are most disputed today. Many modern scholars do not believe that Moses wrote the first five books of the Old Testament, but Jesus did (see Matthew 19:8, 9; John 7:19; Mark 12:29-31).
Some modern scholars also assume the existence of more than one Isaiah, but Jesus believed in only one. In Luke 4:17-21, He cites Isaiah 61:1, 2 (the so-called second Isaiah or Deutero-Isaiah) while in Matthew 15:7-9 He refers to the first part of Isaiah's work (Isaiah 6:9) without the slightest hint of more than one author.

The account of Daniel is rejected today by many as actually coming from the pen of Daniel, but the Lord Jesus believed him to be a prophet (Matthew 24:15). The account of Adam and Eve often is ridiculed today as legend, but Jesus believed the story to be true (Matthew 19:1-6).

Likewise, the narrative of Noah and the great flood not only is authenticated by Jesus (Matthew 24:37), it also is used as an example of His second coming. Finally, the most unbelievable of all-the account of Jonah and the great fish-is used by Jesus as a sign of His resurrection (Matthew 12:39ff).

It almost seems as though Jesus was anticipating 20th century biblical criticism when He authenticated these accounts. The con-clusion is simple. If a person believes in Jesus Christ, he should be consistent and believe that the Old Testament and its accounts are correct. Many want to accept Jesus, but also want to reject a large portion of the Old Testament. This option is not available. Either Jesus knew what He was talking about or He did not. The evidence is clear that Jesus saw the Old Testament as being God's Word; His attitude toward it was nothing less than total trust.

Time to get rid of those superstitions, it's the 21st century!

Coyote
03-04-2007, 07:51 AM
For some reason I didn't bother to read the title correctly.

This is about that Bonnie Tyler song, right?

(And fer chrissakes, cut the religion bullshit, will ya? I'm gettin' a fucking migraine over here...)

katie
03-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by WARF
That was the same red glow I saw, when I was slappin' your ass from the back DOGGYSTYLE!!!

Grow up WARF you are a mod.
Act you age and not your dick size.

katie
x

Diamondjimi
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM

Hope ya wore a noseplug .;)

Ally_Kat
03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
For some reason I didn't bother to read the title correctly.

This is about that Bonnie Tyler song, right?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIKk80Zl4zs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIKk80Zl4zs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIKk80Zl4zs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIKk80Zl4zs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

NOOOOOOO !!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

WARF
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by katie
Grow up WARF you are a mod.
Act you age and not your dick size.

katie
x

What if my dick size is bigger than my age?

Unchainme
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
What if my dick size is bigger than my age?

uhuhuhuhuhuhuh :)