PDA

View Full Version : Lieberman calls for end to partisan bickering over Iraq war

John Ashcroft
04-28-2004, 08:32 AM
WASHINGTON — Sen. Joe Lieberman on Monday urged an end to partisan bickering over the Iraq war, saying such debate hurts U.S. efforts on the battlefield by demoralizing soldiers and encouraging the enemy.

In a speech to the liberal-leaning Brookings Institution, the Connecticut senator and former Democratic presidential candidate said the two major political parties aren't far apart on key issues surrounding the conflict.

He noted that President Bush and Democratic presidential rival John Kerry agree that the United States must not abandon Iraq, that more troops are needed and that the international community should be more involved.

But he said partisan bickering — expected to follow Thursday's scheduled testimony by Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney before the independent Sept. 11 commission and Saturday's first anniversary of Bush's speech celebrating the fall of Baghdad — hurts the country's efforts on the battlefield.

"We can no longer afford such partisan politics as usual" because it "encourages our enemies" and confuses or demoralizes the soldiers serving in Iraq, Lieberman said.

He said Republicans and Democrats should continue to disagree and debate many Iraq policy questions, including the cost, international participation and the transfer of authority to a new Iraqi government.

But the two sides, he said, must "secure a political peace here at home to help achieve a military victory in Iraq."

Lieberman, who also called for the creation of a bipartisan war council, said agreeing on the war won't hurt Democrats' efforts to oust Bush because Kerry has many other issues to raise in the campaign against Bush.

He acknowledged, however, that the heightened political atmosphere heading into the Nov. 2 presidential election may make complicate the goal of bipartisanship. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained," Lieberman said.

No direct link, requires registration (http://www.ajc.com)

Pink Spider
04-28-2004, 08:53 AM
When does Lieberman's opinion actually matter? He's a joke to his own party.

BigBadBrian
04-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Pink Spider
When does Lieberman's opinion actually matter? He's a joke to his own party.

The cannibals eat their own. :gulp:

FORD
04-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Joe Lieberman is an extreme partisan.

For the Likud party, that is.

John Ashcroft
04-28-2004, 12:23 PM
So, you don't agree with him on this?

You think your side should step up the undermining of our soldiers?

FORD
04-28-2004, 01:16 PM
No, I just think that Holy Joe is like the PNAC'ers. He puts the Likud opinions of "the security of Israel" above the security of the United States.

As for "undermining of our soldiers", what would you call over 700 of them dying in a country that was never a threat to the United States, but which WAS described, as a threat often in documents published by the Likud party and their treasonous double agents within the US government now known as PNAC.

Perle, Wolfoshitz, Feith, and the others who sat down with Sharon & Netanyahu and dreamed up this fascism are the ones diirectly responsible for killing our troops. Holy Joe wasn't present at those meetings, but he's bought into their lies just as much as Junior has.

Cathedral
04-28-2004, 02:12 PM
The soldiers that i know that have come home don't seem to agree with you Democrats.
They feel they were doing work that needed to be done a long time ago and are proud to have served in Iraq.

The friends they lost there were feeling the same pride.....It seems to me the Democrats are doing their best to make their return much like it was in the day of Vietnam.

Just go ahead and spit on them because they are the one's doing the job you complain so much about.
Saddam was not just a threat to the United States, he was a threat to his neighbors and the world as a whole.
And there are many other shit hole countries that need to learn the same lesson saddam did, and they will before it is all over.

Jesus Christ
04-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral

And there are many other shit hole countries that need to learn the same lesson saddam did, and they will before it is all over.

Which one of My teachings did you get that from, My son? :confused:

John Ashcroft
04-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by FORD
As for "undermining of our soldiers", what would you call over 700 of them dying in a country that was never a threat to the United States...

Well, you can't vote for Kerry then Ford. He said it himself. He said, "If you don't feel Saddam Hussein is a threat to the United States and needs to be removed, don't vote for me".

So who you gonna vote for?