PDA

View Full Version : Paul Davis

Steve Savicki
03-07-2007, 09:45 AM
<center>http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic200/drp200/p274/p27470qfqkx.jpg</center>
Lots of good soft/contemporary songs, but no matter how much I play the 70's material, the final tracks from '81 are the ones which stick most in my mind:

Cool Night

'65 love affair

SparkieD
03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Good God! I hope you're just spammin':(

Steve Savicki
03-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I suppose so, but I was listening to a compilation of his yesterday.

Wawazat
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.emmadavies.net/fairy/default.aspx?firstname=Steve&lastname=Savicki&submit=Find+My+Fairy+Name#form

bueno bob
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Hey, fuck all you all! I like Paul Davis!

:mad:

Steve Savicki
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Which tracks of his do you like Bob and do you have any original LPs? I mean aside from the 3 CD compilations that are available?

Bill Lumbergh
03-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Who could forget the often covered metal classic "I Go Crazy"??!! The 81' live version in Pompeii is my personal fave, though I'm kinda partial to Dallas 87'............

Pasadena Bunnie
03-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Soft Rock....for the dental visit. I'd rather hear Paul Davis than Van Hagar - both of which they play on those stations.

ThrillsNSpills
03-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD
Good God! I hope you're just spammin':(

We're Spammin'

Ooh, yeah! All right!
We're spammin':
I wanna spam it wid you.
We're spammin', spammin',
And I hope you like spammin', too.

Ain't no rules, ain't no vow, Stee can do it anyhow:
I'n'ee will see you through,
'Cos everyday we pay the price with a shit post sacrifice,
Spammin' till the Boolshit is through.

We're spammin' -
To think that post jammin' was a thing of the past;
We're spammin',
And I hope this spam will be in the past mon

No bullet can stop us now, we neither beg nor we won't bow;
Neither can be bought nor sold.
We all defend the right; Sarge/ Jah children must unite:
Your board is worth much more than gold.

We're spammin' (spammin', spammin', spammin')
And we're spammin' in the threads on the Board;
We're spammin' (spammin', spammin', spammin'),
We're spammin' right straight from uh the third cubicle from the left, mon.

Yeh! Holy Mount Zion;
and Poly Mount Thunda:
Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation.

bueno bob
03-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Which tracks of his do you like Bob and do you have any original LPs? I mean aside from the 3 CD compilations that are available?

Well, I learned a lot of piano from Paul Davis' work. Used to hear him on the radio a lot when I was young.

Anyway, I've got the "Best of" and "Greatest Hits" both, but I've also got CD-Rs of "Paul Davis" and "Cool Night" hanging around. In so far as soft rock is concerned, it's actually rather well written stuff. Musically, I consider my tastes ecclectic more than just diverse, and there are times when Paul Davis' material suits my mood perfectly.

The interesting thing about the Cool Night album is that, being on Arista instead of the Bang label, they pushed him in a more pop rock oriented direction, instead of his familiar country-based stomping grounds. The new band he had on the album was already an existing band, and each of the members were capable of singing lead, which added a whole new dynamic to the backing vocals, something I'm sure he was pretty interested in. Honestly, it's a great album back to back, but apparently he never felt comfortable going into a pop rock direction and getting away from the country, so it became his last album to date.

I don't know...but I think that the Cool Night album was the only thing he ever actually toured behind in '81. Prior to that, he was basically a studio musician, or a writer for other people. Honestly, had he kept being a solo artist, with as many hits as he was racking up at that point, today he'd be a legend in the industry. I guess he was always more comfortable writing for other country singers, because that's basically all he's done since.

Interestingly enough, he was actually rumored to be doing an album for the Bang II label when that relaunched, but of course it never materialized. I do wonder, though, if there's any tapes he's got laying around...? Maybe someday we'll see them....

Pasadena Bunnie
03-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Nah, I won't knock Paul Davis. In fact, I actually enjoy (when I'm not in my normal Heavy Rock mode for CVH) is stuff by Gordon Lightfoot or Steely Dan, Donald Fagen solo material. Also, a great new artist, if you enjoy a sexy brazilian beat is Bebel Gilberto.

Steve Savicki
03-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Bob, you play piano? Any more instruments?

rustoffa
03-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Time flies when you're having fun!
:D

Paul Davis sucks big green donkey dicks (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12133)

Bill Lumbergh
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Holy shit, this is scary.... :D

ThrillsNSpills
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Bob, you play piano? Any more instruments? And what about dinner Friday?

bueno bob
03-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Bob, you play piano? Any more instruments?

Piano, bass (my strongest instrument), basic drums (nothing special, I'm not great - competent, maybe), some rhythm guitar, and my register is alright for backing vocals.

I always wanted to learn violin and cello, but never got around to it.

Bill Lumbergh
03-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Piano, bass (my strongest instrument), basic drums (nothing special, I'm not great - competent, maybe), some skin flute(practice makes perfect), and my register is alright for backing vocals.

I

Cool.

bueno bob
03-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Cool.

You know it!

I am the mother fucking YNGWIE MALMSTEEN of skin flute, buddy!

Steve Savicki
03-09-2007, 02:38 AM
Russ, I swear I used the search and that thread didn't show up.

Bob, I was wondering if you were going to say bass. The last time I saw you bring it up, you were invited to replace a friend's bass player for a gig that was playing Sammy tunes. You didn't want to do it, but for the money you did. Can't locate the thread.

bueno bob
03-09-2007, 02:41 AM
Russ, I swear I used the search and that thread didn't show up.

Bob, I was wondering if you were going to say bass. The last time I saw you bring it up, you were invited to replace a friend's bass player for a gig that was playing Sammy tunes. You didn't want to do it, but for the money you did. Can't locate the thread.

I think it's in Non somewhere...

I didn't end up having to do it (thank God)...strange bunch of folks to be wanting a Hagar only set...

To be 100% honest, I'm retired from actively chasing the proverbial pot of RIAA gold...too many kids for that shit anymore, getting too old...

bueno bob
03-09-2007, 02:42 AM
I got into a little bass talk up in Main a week or two back, but for the most part I don't like talking shop around here...

Tiki-Tom
03-09-2007, 08:09 AM
You know it!

I am the mother fucking YNGWIE MALMSTEEN of skin flute, buddy!

Damn! You do go crazy:eek: ;)

I got into a little bass talk up in Main a week or two back, but for the most part I don't like talking shop around here...

I'm tellin' ya man. Make some time to crank out some groove's. Your never too old...:D

ThrillsNSpills
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Damn! You do go crazy:eek: ;)
I'm tellin' ya man. Make some time to crank out some groove's. Your never too old...:D

well said Tom