PDA

View Full Version : Piazza ties home run record for catchers

Bob_R
04-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Piazza Ties Home Run Record for Catchers
Wed Apr 28, 10:07 AM

Mike Piazza caught Carlton Fisk, and Chad Moeller hit for the cycle. Quite a night for catchers in the National League. Piazza tied Fisk's major league record of 351 home runs as a catcher, hitting a tiebreaking shot to help the visiting New York Mets beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 9-5 on Tuesday.

Moeller became the first Brewers player to hit for the cycle since Paul Molitor in 1991, and Milwaukee rallied past the Cincinnati Reds 9-8 at Miller Park.

Molitor will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer. Robin Yount, already enshrined in Cooperstown, also accomplished the feat with Milwaukee in 1988 - but Moeller is the first Brewers player to do it at home.

"It's pretty darn cool to be in that company. They are some of the best that have ever played the game," Moeller said. "I am nowhere even in the ZIP code of being with those guys. But with this one little silly stat I am."

In other NL games, it was: Philadelphia 7, St. Louis 3; Colorado 13, Florida 10; Arizona 10, Chicago 1; San Diego 3, Montreal 0; and Atlanta 12, San Francisco 3.

Houston's game at Pittsburgh was postponed because of rain and rescheduled as part of a doubleheader on Sept. 9.

Milwaukee won on pinch-hitter Bill Hall's two-run homer off Danny Graves (0-2) with two outs in the ninth inning.

Fighting muscle aches and chills the past few days, Moeller homered in the second, doubled in the fourth, tripled in the fifth and singled in the seventh.

Acquired from Arizona last offseason in the Richie Sexson trade, Moeller became the fifth Brewers player to accomplish the feat. The unheralded catcher earned a standing ovation from the second-smallest crowd (8,918) in Miller Park history.

"I really do feel under the weather," he said. "My whole focus was really just getting through nine innings behind the plate somehow, some way."

Piazza, who hit his first 177 homers with the Dodgers, went 16 games without one after connecting twice at Atlanta on April 7.

"I've been thinking about it a little bit lately, so I'm hoping I can get one more and kind of turn the page and get it over with," Piazza said.

The 10-time All-Star ended the drought against former batterymate Hideo Nomo (3-2), lining his fourth homer of the season to left-center in the sixth inning for a 4-3 lead.

"It's special to do it here, no question about it," said Piazza, the first Dodger to hit a home run out of Dodger Stadium. "I came up through this organization and they gave me a chance when no one else did. It means a lot. It really does. It's a little emotional for me."

It was Piazza's 362nd home run overall, moving him past Joe DiMaggio into 58th place on the career list - seven behind Mets broadcaster Ralph Kiner.

Tom Glavine (3-1) gave up three runs in six innings.

DLRismydad
04-28-2004, 03:30 PM
finally the catchers are getting some respect. I think it's now safe to say that Mike piazza has solidified himself as the best offensive catcher of all time

Lou
04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Mike Piazza was a great offensive player PLAYING catcher. He was not a great offensive CATCHER.

DLRismydad
04-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Mike Piazza was a great offensive player PLAYING catcher. He was not a great offensive CATCHER.

can I ask what the difference is. I meant he was a good hitting catcher isn't that the same as what you said

POJO_Risin
04-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I would agree with that...everyone would agree with that...but he DID crouch behind the plate for several years...

Other than Morgana giving hummers to the umps...I think he's earned the right to be called a catcher...if he sucked or not...

I think he was so prodigiously good as an offensive player that he never had a shot at being respected as a catcher...especially since he had a weak arm...

Trust me...I think it's safe to say that any sensible baseball fan would love to have a guy who's going to knock out 400 career dingers as their catcher, even if they couldn't catch a dead rat in a rat trap...

Lou
04-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah, I just don't know why a team didn't tell him to play first base or left field, unless Piazza told them he wouldn't play period unless he was catching.

Lou
04-28-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm saying he wasn't a good catcher, meaning defensively. He was a great offensive player who played catcher, but he was never a great natural catcher.

redblkwht
04-28-2004, 06:28 PM
With his nubers witht the dodgers he shoulda had the record
a couple years ago..all hype then.
you saying hes a pilllow biter for sure? gross.

DLRismydad
04-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I'm saying he wasn't a good catcher, meaning defensively. He was a great offensive player who played catcher, but he was never a great natural catcher.

thats why I said he was a good offensive catcher instesad of just a great catcher.

Brett
04-29-2004, 06:56 PM
He was never as good after he left the Dodgers. And that's pretty impressive considering Dodger Stadium isn't a "hitters" park.

POJO_Risin
05-01-2004, 03:02 PM
He was at least as good in his post-Dodger career, as he was in his Dodger career...

Since he was traded to the Marlins in the middle of the 1998 season...he hit over 30 dingers every year but last year's injury marred season...that's six seasons...he's had more than 100 ribbies three times...and over 90 twice...'cept for last season...

He batted over .300 4 times...and over .280 the other two seasons...

really...his only bad season was due to injury...

so saying he wasn't as good as he was with the Dodgers is just plain wrong...not a hitters park or not...

Shea certainly isn't considered a hitters park by any stretch...

redblkwht
05-05-2004, 02:26 AM
When does his contract expire? anyone know..
I dont see him wanting to stay in NY.

Bob_R
05-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by redblkwht
When does his contract expire? anyone know..
I dont see him wanting to stay in NY.

I believe this year or next but I'm not sure.

BTW, he broke the record the other night.