PDA

View Full Version : Brian May Talks About New Q+PR Album

Shaun Ponsonby
03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html

"OK - I know I don't write much about our music recording work in the studio. But, it's deliberate really ... I feel a reluctance to take advantage of this Soapbox platform to expose too much of what must essentially be a private process, needing room to breathe and develop organically. I'm happy to say that the process has worked, in a very fine way.

This (second) period of 3 weeks of QUEEN/RODGERS recording sessions is over now, so, for a while at least, I can get my life back a bit ! It's actually tough, being so closely focussed on what has to be a very emotional workplace, and during these times, life outside virtually stops. But we have some good music on the boil ... about 8 songs so far - with some great moments, I think ....very grown-up and organic in feel. It is ALL played ... together as a band; no samples, drum machines, or protools fabrications. You can hear the interactions of us as musicians in a room - very rare these days ! We are very excited, but conscious that there is a little further to go before we are ready to launch the new material on the world. The greatest thing for me has been to see us evolving into a proper band - like the old days. Every day we have played together in the studio, trying out ideas, and most of the tracks we are working on are the result of playing a song for the first or second time only ... the freshness and spirit of adventure all being there. And we have not even been 'careful' ! By this I mean that mostly we have treated our playing together not as a baseline, but as the front line of what the performance will turn out to be. In the past we have often put down a pure backing track - say, Drums, bass and rhythm guitar, and added the 'top lines' - lead vocals and lead guitars - afterwards. In what we are doing now, Paul sings it for real, on the take, as well as playing piano or guitar, or bass, and I play the lead guitar for real, and Roger is interacting in the moment too, so this very organic, live moment is what you will hear on the final mix. We are able to add some craftsmanship to this in the ways that we have learned over the years, especially as regards those trademark harmony vocals and guitar 'orchestras' - plus play with the blend of sounds ... and gradually the new music is taking shape. To my ears it sounds as if it is full of our joint heritage, but different from anything either Paul or Queen have done in the past. This session produced some welcome heavy crunch, as well as some more contemplative textured moments ... These things, it seems, cannot really be planned ... they happen, if you are lucky, when you put the work and spirit in, when you keep an awareness of the balance between instinctive and analytic, and when the Muses smile on you.

A break, now - time for getting perspectives, regaining freshness, and having new thoughts.

Cheers
Bri"

Shaun Ponsonby
03-10-2007, 06:07 PM
REALLY looking forward to this.

katie
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
REALLY looking forward to this.

So am i,
I am not into them using the name Queen, even by association but yes this should be good.

Tiki-Tom
03-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Without Freddie And John Deacon, and with Paul singin' ............Well, they may as well call it "The Other, Other Half". :mad:
Not Queen + anything
Nothing wrong with continuing to play, but this way? Fuck em'

Shaun Ponsonby
03-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Well, I think they needed to use the brand name somewhere, otherwise people aren't gonna know what the fuck it is. If they went out simply as "Queen"...then, i'd have a problem. But they didn't, they went out as "Queen + Paul Rodgers", so I don't really mind.

The name thing doesn't bother me as much as it does other people.

binnie
03-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Not convinced by this, but then I was never a Queen fan.

I'll give it a listen when it comes out, as I love Paul's voice.

SparkieD
03-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Well, I think they needed to use the brand name somewhere, otherwise people aren't gonna know what the fuck it is. If they went out simply as "Queen"...then, i'd have a problem. But they didn't, they went out as "Queen + Paul Rodgers", so I don't really mind.

The name thing doesn't bother me as much as it does other people.

Now who doesn't know Brian May and Roger Taylor were in Queen? Sorry, I ain't buyin' that they need it. You don't see Paul Rogers using the Bad Co. brand, and he is just as entitled. Might as well call themselves Free the Queen by that rationale. Besides, it's only half of Queen.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Actually, yes.

The "Merchants of Cool" DVD didn't feature Mick Ralphs or Boz Burrell.

But, anyways, if they did give themselves a new name, without their surnames (ie-ABWH) then, they wouldn't know who it was unless you kept up to date with the music press. Look at Riders on the Storm, most people thought that they were a tribute band as opposed to half the real members of The Doors. When they were called The Doors of the 21st Century, people knew.

Bill Lumbergh
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
It's not like it's gonna be a huge seller anyway.....In my mind there is NO Queen without Freddie, even using the + in the title sucks....that said, they have a right to use it....

Shaun Ponsonby
03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
It'll probably sell quite well in Europe. But, nowhere near to the extent of Queen w/Freddie.