PDA

View Full Version : favorite 80s metal band

DLRismydad
04-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite 80s metal band is. This is excluding Van Halen or DLR. Mine would definatly be Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction was great.

rustoffa
04-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Mercyful Fate or The Plasmatics......shit, too many to mention.

PHOENIX
04-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by DLRismydad
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite 80s metal band is. This is excluding Van Halen or DLR. Mine would definatly be Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction was great.

My favorite 3 were Maiden. GnR and Metallica.

rustoffa
04-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
My favorite 3 were Maiden. GnR and Metallica.

Yeah, shoulda mentioned Maiden......Priest as well.

Hollywood Jesus
04-28-2004, 11:13 PM
I was the perfect little '80s metal consumer. Blasted Motley, Ratt and Leppard alongside VH early on. AC/DC was a given, but they were '70s really.

Faded off in mid-'80s not liking Bon Jovi and Poison as much. Probably a Van Hagar funk. GNR helped me though even though Axl is a prick. Metallica helped too, but I don't call them '80s metal.

Late bloomers like Skid Row, Bullet Boys, Firehouse and Badlands are still what I call some of my "new CDs." Guess I'm an old fart!

Alot of decent stuff to be had yet in the bargain bins if you're a gamblin' man. There was some talent in amongst the Aquanet. I still have so many of these forgotten cassettes 'cause they ain't worth anything to anyone else.

Dickface McSlapnuts
04-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Priest and GNR...

Mr Badguy
04-29-2004, 05:00 AM
The 80`s top 6

Maiden
Priest
Motley Crue
Whitesnake
Guns n Roses

Midnight Oil

Mr Badguy
04-29-2004, 05:02 AM
And let`s not forget the 80`s top underground success:

RUSH

9 Albums, all killer, no filler

Golden AWe
04-29-2004, 06:21 AM
Back then I was listening to W.A.S.P., Twisted Sister, Motley Crue and GNR...

I even lip-synched W.A.S.P. when I was 8...wearing stockings and tiger-colored swimming pants...that was cool.

Full Bug
04-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Def Leppard
W.A.S.P.
Ozzy
VH
Iron Maiden
Motley Crue
Guns N Roses
I remember when Quiet Riot first came out, I was in grade 6 or 7, my whole school was into them and used to play Metal Health all the time, funny looking back on that now....BANG YOUR HEAD!

David Van Via
04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Metallica for me. I enjoyed what they bring to the 80's.

ALinChainz
04-29-2004, 04:19 PM
VH (of course)
Metallica
Ratt (seen a dozen times in concert at least, which also means I saw Poison more than I would have liked)
Crue (almost double figs, don't remember much of the 80s)
Maiden
Rush
Guns
Lep
Skid Row
Badlands
Bulletboys

Probably more, that one brain cell left working over to remember these. Good thread though.

tobinentinc
05-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Dio
Guns 'N Roses
Metallica
Rush
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Judas Preist
Ozzy Osborne
Motley Crue
. . . .just to name a few

gothqueen
05-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Van Halen
Guns N' Roses
Bon Jovi
Skid Row
Motley Crue
Cinderella
Poison
Ozzy Osbourne
Whitesnake
Def Leppard
Quiet Riot

Slammy Gaygar
05-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Tie between Crue and GnR for me. and I don't care what anyone says, I fucking like poison.

Wayne L.
05-02-2004, 03:26 PM
VH isnt an 80's rock band last time I checked with Eddie's excellent guitar virtuosity & Dave's showmanship & bad ass attitude & bigger than life rock star personas because it would take a million years for 80's rock bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi & Ratt to record & release classic rock albums like Van Halen, Fair Warning & 1984. I do NOT have any personal favorite 80's rock bands at all but I like a few classic rock albums from that era like Out Of The Celler by Ratt, Shout At The Devil by Motley Crue, Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi, Metal Health by Quiet Riot & Appetite For Destruction by Guns-N-Roses.

secrets
05-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
And let`s not forget the 80`s top underground success:

RUSH

9 Albums, all killer, no filler

Good choice Rush are amazing and way underrated.

Marillion were also a great 80's band. "Misplaced Childhood" is an excellent album. Not really "metal" though but still very good.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-02-2004, 06:13 PM
rock and roll all nite! i also love motley crue, aerosmith

secrets
05-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
rock and roll all nite! i also love motley crue, aerosmith

Best Aerosmith album of the 80's is PUMP IMO, I think Dave loved that one too. Listen to ALAE and you'll some Aerosmith influence.

thefive
05-02-2004, 06:29 PM
You know what I like the SCORPIONS a lot.

Mr Badguy
05-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by secrets

Marillion were also a great 80's band. "Misplaced Childhood" is an excellent album. Not really "metal" though but still very good.

Yes, although the Yanks will scratch their heads.

Strange comparisons with VH:

1) Fans cherish the early albums
2) Replaced fan favourite original vocalist with unpopular choice
3) Currently refuse to play early material
4) Ex-singer and band have media slanging matches
5) Fans yearn for reunion with original singer

secrets
05-02-2004, 07:40 PM
I was going to make a similar comparison myself but you did it way better.

Fish made Marillion in the same way that DLR made Van Halen and both bands went down hill after these guys left.

Anyone out there who hasn't heard "Misplaced Childhood" should treat themselves; better than some of the 80's hair metal bands so far mentioned.

Mr Badguy
05-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by secrets
I was going to make a similar comparison myself but you did it way better.

Fish made Marillion in the same way that DLR made Van Halen and both bands went down hill after these guys left.

Anyone out there who hasn't heard "Misplaced Childhood" should treat themselves; better than some of the 80's hair metal bands so far mentioned.

If anyone is looking for a crash couse then buy their two 80`s live albums "Reel to reel" and "The theiving magpie" which feature all of their best songs and a full live version of the entire "Misplaced childhood" album.

Probably all the Marillion you`ll ever need.

Recommended if you love keyboard driven progressive rock with excellent melodies.

hot for david
05-06-2004, 12:41 AM
my fav bands are :
STRATOVARIUS
HELLOWEEN
IRON MAIDEN
SKID ROW
POISON
METALLICA
GUNS N' ROSES
JUDAS PRIEST
PANTERA