PDA

View Full Version : A letter from Iraq

BigBadBrian
04-28-2004, 10:00 PM
This is a letter from Ray Reynolds, a medic in the Iowa Army National Guard, serving in Iraq:

As I head off to Baghdad for the final weeks of my stay in Iraq, I wanted to say thanks to all of you who did not believe the media. They have done a very poor job of covering everything that has happened. I am sorry that I have not been able to visit all of you during my two week leave back home. And just so you can rest at night knowing something is happening in Iraq that is noteworthy, I thought I would pass this on to you. This is the list of things that has happened in Iraq recently: (Please share it with your friends and compare it to the version that your paper is producing.)

* Over 400,000 kids have up-to-date immunizations.
* School attendance is up 80% from levels before the war.
* Over 1,500 schools have been renovated and rid of the weapons stored there so education can occur.
* The port of Uhm Qasar was renovated so grain can be off-loaded from ships faster.
* The country had its first 2 billion barrel export of oil in August.
* Over 4.5 million people have clean drinking water for the first time ever in Iraq.
* The country now receives 2 times the electrical power it did before the war.
* 100% of the hospitals are open and fully staffed, compared to 35% before the war.
* Elections are taking place in every major city, and city councils are in place.
* Sewer and water lines are installed in every major city.
* Over 60,000 police are patrolling the streets.
* Over 100,000 Iraqi civil defense police are securing the country.
* Over 80,000 Iraqi soldiers are patrolling the streets side by side with US soldiers.
* Over 400,000 people have telephones for the first time ever
* Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to prevent the spread of germs.
* An interim constitution has been signed.
* Girls are allowed to attend school.
* Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years.

Don't believe for one second that these people do not want us there. I have met many, many people from Iraq that want us there, and in a bad way. They say they will never see the freedoms we talk about but they hope their children will. We are doing a good job in Iraq and I challenge anyone, anywhere to dispute me on these facts. So If you happen to run into John Kerry, be sure to give him my email address and send him to Denison, Iowa. This soldier will set him straight. If you are like me and very disgusted with how this period of rebuilding has been portrayed, email this to a friend and let them know there are good things happening.

Ray Reynolds, SFC
Iowa Army National Guard
234th Signal Battalion

BigBadBrian
04-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Snopes and other Urban Legends sites say the letter is a fake, but the facts are indisputable regardless of source.

FORD
04-28-2004, 11:35 PM
First the Moonie crap, now a KNOWN fake letter. Isn't there a National Enquirer board where you can post lies?

lucky wilbury
04-29-2004, 12:49 AM
isn't that called DU?

FORD
04-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
isn't that called DU?

Only since the DLC took over :(

Cathedral
04-29-2004, 09:13 AM
I dunno about calling it a fake, seems to be the same exact things I was told by two of my friends who just returned home from Iraq a couple of months ago.

But of course you would stand right in front of them and tell them they were telling lies as well, wouldn't you? (unless you have served I wouldn't recommand it)

And that would be the most hypocritical thing you could ever do being as you never picked up a weapon and defended yourself on the streets of Iraq, eh?

I'm sorry but i find it offensive that so many political minded people wouldn't know the truth if it swam up and took a chunk out of their ass.
But of course someone who sits behind a computer monitor spewing conspiracy theories and Liberal bias all day and never set foot in an oppressed country has all the facts, right?

Jesus Christ
04-29-2004, 09:34 AM
When did bearing false witness become acceptable? For if the only way the Son of Bush can sell his war is through circulating lies, then verily what kind of a person does that make him?

Cathedral
04-29-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm not talking about Bush here, and changing your name to Jesus doesn't give you special credibility, bro.

I'm talking about soldiers that actually served and you dodged my question again.
I still have a friend in Afghanistan who is serving and believes whole heartedly in what their mission is and it is succeeding there as well.

Your problem isn't the war, it is who is in office and that mixing of the issues has you clouded on what the right thing to do actually is.

But just like any other liberal, you are asked a specific question and your only answer is about Bush.....Try answering the damn question..

Would you call a soldier who stood in front of you and told you what the facts are in Iraq a lier?
I'm not talking about the chicken shits who signed up to get college money, I'm talking about the level headed soldiers who signed up to actually defend this country.

ELVIS
04-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Here we go with the liberal Jesus bullshit...:rolleyes:

Tell me Mr. enlightened savior impersonator.. what are Jesus' views on abortion and sticking your dick up a man's ass ??

ELVIS
04-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Your problem isn't the war, it is who is in office and that mixing of the issues has you clouded on what the right thing to do actually is.

But just like any other liberal, you are asked a specific question and your only answer is about Bush.....Try answering the damn question..

That's not possible for FORD. He thinks he's teaching us something.. he has this crazy agenda in his paranoid head...

The only thing I have learned from FORD is how far right I really do lean...

Fuck the liberals!

Jesus Christ
04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
James and Gregory, let Me asketh thee a question:

Ye know that Luke, the author of the Gospel wrote his words several years after I ascended to Heaven, and that he never met Me in person.

Verily then, if Luke had written his gospel in the "first person", claiming that he had personally witnessed My miracles, My teachings, My crucifixion, etc, knowing that he hath indeed NOT witnessed these things, would his Gospel be bearing a false witness?

ELVIS
04-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Yes asswipe.. now reply to Cat's post...

FORD
04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
I believe He just did ;)

BigBadBrian
04-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I believe He just did ;)

You need help.

FORD
04-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Tabloid Moonie boy thinks I need help....

Geezus, I guess that settles it :rolleyes:

John Ashcroft
04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
OK then, how's about this letter from the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines Commander, to the wives of his Marines:

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 2:03 AM
Subject: Update from Lt Col K

Dear Ladies, the last two days have been the hardest two days this battalion has faced in over 30 years. Within the blink of an eye the situation went form relatively calm to a raging storm. You've known that since arriving there has been violence; attacks have been sporadic and mostly limited to roadside bombs. Your husbands have become experts at recognizing those threats and neutralizing them before we are injured. Up to this point the war has been the purview of corporals and sergeants, and the squad they lead.

Yesterday the enemy upped the ante.

Early in the morning we exchanged gunfire with a group of insurgents without significant loss. As morning progressed, the enemy fed more men into the fight and we responded with stronger force. Unfortunately, this led to injuries as our Marines and sailors started clearing the city block by block. The enemy did not run; they fought us like soldiers. And we destroyed the enemy like only Marines can. By the end of the evening the local hospital was so full of their dead and wounded that they ran out of space to put them. Your husbands were awesome all night. They stayed at the job of securing the streets and nobody challenged them as the hours wore on. They did not surrender an inch nor did flinch from the next potential threat. Previous to yesterday the terrorist thought that we were soft enough to challenge. As of tonight the message is loud and clear that the Marines will not be beaten.

Today the enemy started all over again, although with far fewer numbers, only now the rest of the battalion joined the fight. Without elaborating too much, weapons company and Golf crushed their attackers with the vengeance of the righteous. They filled up the hospitals again and we suffered only a few injuries. Echo Company dominated the previous day's battlefield. Fox company patrolled with confidence and authority; nobody challenged them. Even Headquarters Company manned their stations and counted far fewer people openly watching us with disdain. If the enemy is foolish enough to try to take your men again they will not survive contact. We are here to win.

The news looks grim from back in the States. We did take losses that, in our hearts, we will always live with. The men we lost were taken within the very opening minutes of the violence. They could not have foreseen the treachery of the enemy and they did not suffer. We can never replace these Marines and Sailors but they will fight on with us in spirit. We are not feeling sorry for ourselves nor do we fear what tomorrow will bring. The battalion has lived up to its reputation as Magnificent Bastards. Yesterday made everyone here stronger and wiser; it will be a cold day in Hell before we are taken for granted again.

I thought these guys didn't know what they were doing over there? And not one mention of a baby-killing squad???

FORD
04-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Sounds like another astroturf letter to me. Source?

John Ashcroft
04-29-2004, 12:45 PM
You won't like it, but it was sent to Rush Limbaugh by an Air Force Major that's in theatre (works in the Prince Sultan Air Base CAOC). The name's witheld at their request, but Rush posted pics of the shadow box and accompanying letters these folks sent him after flying the flag over Baghdad.

It's real. Even if you hate Limbaugh's guts, the one thing he's got going for him is that he doesn't put false info out. You may disagree with his commentary, but his links and supporting material is always legit.

Oh, and I can't link it because it's in his member's only area (was on his public site on Wednesday, April 21st, but now it's archived).

FORD
04-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
You won't like it, but it was sent to Rush Limbaugh by an Air Force Major that's in theatre (works in the Prince Sultan Air Base CAOC). The name's witheld at their request, but Rush posted pics of the shadow box and accompanying letters these folks sent him after flying the flag over Baghdad.

It's real. Even if you hate Limbaugh's guts, the one thing he's got going for him is that he doesn't put false info out. You may disagree with his commentary, but his links and supporting material is always legit.

Oh, and I can't link it because it's in his member's only area (was on his public site on Wednesday, April 21st, but now it's archived).

So in other words, there's absolutely no way to verify the authenticity. Great.

ELVIS
04-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Fuck you FORD...

Gawd...

FORD
04-29-2004, 01:04 PM
No, FUCK YOU!

I'm not going to aid the propagtion of blatant fucking lies designed to boost Bush Jr's image in an election year.

FUCK THESE LIES AND PROPAGANDA!!

If a "letter" cannot be verified to be written specifically by the person whose name is on it and that person cannot be confirmed to be in the position to write such a letter, I will assume such a document is a forgery intended for propaganda purposes.

ELVIS
04-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Even if the person called you to verify the authenticity, you still wouldn't believe it...

ELVIS
04-29-2004, 01:11 PM
BTW.. Limbaugh is not part of some vast conspiracy propaganda machine...

FORD
04-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Even if the person called you to verify the authenticity, you still wouldn't believe it...

Since my cellphone would probably say "Out of Area" as opposed to "Fallujah Iraq" they would have to be very convincing on the phone.

John Ashcroft
04-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Dude, with the minions of people just lying in wait to discredit Limbaugh, you think he's gonna make an amaturish mistake?

When he suspects a fake, he says so. Then researches it and updates as necessary. On this particular letter, it was sent to him direct from a Major that's been corresponding with him for months.

ELVIS
04-29-2004, 04:23 PM
No.. It's part of a much bigger conspiracy. Yuo and I are too closed minded to see it...:rolleyes:

Cathedral
04-30-2004, 02:28 AM
Ok, this is grade school stuff...*ding ding*, Ford (Jesus), school is in session.

I ask a question that requires a yes or no answer and you reply with a yes or no answer...

Now pay attention because here is the question.

Q: Would you call a soldier who stood in front of you and told you what the facts are in Iraq a lier?
I'm not talking about the chicken shits who signed up to get college money, I'm talking about the level headed soldiers who signed up to actually defend this country.

Ok, now this is the part where you answer with a YES or a NO....

I have had 2 tell me to my face that the job is getting done, life is better for the citizens of Iraq, and that the trouble is caused by insurgents NOT Iraqi's.
Both are proud to have served in Iraq because they KNEW it was a noble cause and WE were the country that had to do it, we're the only country that would do it, and Iraq will be a great friend to the United States for our actions.
They also know that the very moment things are settled in Iraq and they can defend and protect their own country themselves they will want our immediate withdrawl and that WILL happen.

You say we have turned our backs on our biggest and best Allie's?
BULLSHIT buddy, They are slowly being exposed for the true reasons they were against the war....Their fucking hands are covered in the blood of innocent Iraqi civilians who died at the hands of a murdering dictator and for the sake of monetary profit....

Honestly, we should cut the fucking hands off of those so called Allie's for their crimes against humanity and be done with them. This is bigger than just changing the name of a damned potato in the shape of a shoestring, it's about loss of life, real life, innocent life and for what?
Billions in profit from programs implemented to help those who were being murdered.

Now, answer the damn question Yes or No!
Stop playing PC Savior and Political Advocate based on hatred for a man who will spend limited time (8 years) in office. Their suffering has lasted a hell of a lot longer than any single person will ever serve as President in this country. But their new found freedom and a democratic system will ensure that their childrens children will have one hell of a great shot at being free to live a life they choose.

So, what is the answer?

John Ashcroft
04-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Silence is the answer.

Great post though Cat.

ELVIS
05-01-2004, 01:37 AM
What a big pussy you are FORD...

Cathedral
05-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Ahhhh, don't be to hard on the guy. It's a tough question to answer and i pretty much get from the lack of an answer that he wouldn't dare challenge a person who was there and did the job they have done.

In May my buddy in Afghanistan comes home, I'll have a sit down with him also over a few pitchers of brewski.

My point is simply that if you want to know the truth, seek out a soldier who was there and talk to them. Fuck what you see on the idiot box and read in politically motivated newrags.

ELVIS
05-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Yeah I know...

Mr. Hot air FORD who has something negative to say about everything can't answer you ???

C'mon...

He probably bitches about his orders at McDonalds...

Cathedral
05-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Hell, I bitch about my orders at McDonalds.....They suck and can't hear a damn thing through those stupid headsets they wear.

I'd rather cook at home and know what i'm eating anyway.

FORD
05-01-2004, 01:05 PM
I rarely eat at McDonalds these days. All carbs, no nutrition. And the fact that they're sponsoring the Van Hagar tour was the last straw.

FORD
05-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Ahhhh, don't be to hard on the guy. It's a tough question to answer and i pretty much get from the lack of an answer that he wouldn't dare challenge a person who was there and did the job they have done.

If I actually KNEW someone who had been in Iraq and could trust this person's word, I would absolutely accept what they said. I do not extend that courtesy to professional propagandists however, no matter what uniform they pose in for a photo op. And the existence of such propagandists has been proven with this Fraudministration. i.e. the "colonel" who writes the Astroturf letters and then signs soldiers names to them before spamming newspapers nationwide.

In May my buddy in Afghanistan comes home, I'll have a sit down with him also over a few pitchers of brewski.

I know a guy who's over there also. Actually I don't know the dude all that well, only met him a couple of times. But through extended family ties, I get e mail updates from his mom about what little he's able to report from Afghanistan. If I get the chance to talk to him when he gets home, I'll ask him .

[quote]My point is simply that if you want to know the truth, seek out a soldier who was there and talk to them. Fuck what you see on the idiot box and read in politically motivated newrags.

Fact is the truth might be uglier than you or I would want to believe. This torture bullshit, for example. Yeah, I would hope to God that it's a very small minority of very fucked up people that are committing such crimes, but even ONE such person is too many. Especially if you try to rationalize the entire occupation with the fact that "well at least we got rid of that scumbag piece of shit who was killing and torturing Iraqi civillians".