PDA

View Full Version : Bush/GOP Led Congress Mostly to Blame for VA Underfunding

Nickdfresh
03-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Congress’ For Veterans Cuts

President Bush spoke to the American Legion today, claiming that “support of our veterans has been a high priority in my administration,” and that one of his priorities is “making sure that our veterans have got good, decent, quality healthcare.”

President Bush should save his rhetoric. In an interview with National Public Radio, even American Legion National Commander Paul Morin, a regular political ally of the White House, pointed out that Bush has consistently skimped on veterans funding. “We are not pleased with the budget for the military and for the VA hospitals for our veterans,” Morin said. “I blame the President and Congress for insufficient funding of the VA health care system.”

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN (http://websrvr80il.audiovideoweb.com/il80web20037/ThinkProgress/2007/legion.mp4)

A look at the facts back up Morin’s claims about Bush’s short-changing of veterans:

Bush plans to cut veterans health care after 2008. “The Bush administration plans to cut funding for veterans’ health care two years from now — even as badly wounded troops returning from Iraq could overwhelm the system. … Even though the cost of providing medical care to veterans has been growing rapidly — by more than 10 percent in many years — White House budget documents assume consecutive cutbacks in 2009 and 2010 and a freeze thereafter.”

Bush raises health care costs for veterans. For the fifth year in a row, Bush’s budget has attempted to raise health care costs on 1.3 million veterans, calling for “new enrollment fees and higher drug co-payments for some veterans.”

Bush administration has claimed veterans benefits are “hurtful” to national security. In 2005, the Wall Street Journal noted the growing cost of veterans benefits due to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Pentagon’s response was to complain that it would “rather use [the funds] to help troops fighting today.” “The amounts have gotten to the point where they are hurtful. They are taking away from the nation’s ability to defend itself,” says David Chu, the Pentagon’s undersecretary for personnel and readiness.

Transcript:

[BUSH SPEECH]

The support of our veterans has been a high priority in my administration. This year I’ve asked Congress for more than $86 billion for veterans services. If Congress approves my request, this would amount to a 77 percent increase of the budgets since I took office. It would be the highest level of support for our veterans in American history.

We share with your concern about making sure our vets have good healthcare. I’ve talked to your commanders, past. I suspect I’ll be talking to your commanders, future, about making sure that our veterans have got good, decent, quality healthcare.

Since 2001 we’ve helped over one million more veterans. Added a million veterans. Take advantage of the VA healthcare system. The 2008 budget proposal will increase the VA healthcare budget by 83 percent since I took office.

[NPR INTERVIEW]

NPR: Are you going to try to push for more money for veterans care than the President has requested in his budget?

MORIN: Yeah, the President requested $36.6 billion for medical care. We recommended $38.4 billion.

NPR: Are you going to talk with the President about that when you speak to him?

MORIN: We have talked with the President. We have notified him that we are not pleased with the budget for the military and for the VA hospitals for our veterans.

NPR: You spoke just a minute ago about having long experience in doing battle with the VA. And it might be surprising for a lot of people to hear. The thinking might be that five years into two wars, the VA would be doing all it could. Where is the problem? Who do you blame?

MORIN: I blame the President and Congress for insufficient funding of the VA health care system.

ThinkProgress.org (http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/06/morin-bush-va/)

BigBadBrian
03-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Hell, I wish Congress and the POTUS would give the VA everything they ask for EVERY year. But it's not going to happen, not under this or ANY President. Spending under this POTUS has increased like 40 some odd percent over the previous Administration.

Hell, let's take tax dollars away from some of those ridiculous liberal Hand-out programs and give them to the VETS!!!!

:killer:

ULTRAMAN VH
03-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Hell, I wish Congress and the POTUS would give the VA everything they ask for EVERY year. But it's not going to happen, not under this or ANY President. Spending under this POTUS has increased like 40 some odd percent over the previous Administration.

Hell, let's take tax dollars away from some of those ridiculous liberal Hand-out programs and give them to the VETS!!!!

No, the libbys would not allow that. They like to keep the handouts flowing, it keeps them in control of a portion of the population that keeps pumping out babies, doing illegal drugs, refusing to earn a living and will not take responsibility for their actions. And lets not forget the illegal aliens who are also taking advantage of handouts, but that is another story. It is one thing to help someone get back on their feet, but to allow them to kick back on taxpayers money for an infinite period of time is deplorable. Ahh! but lets not forget that in the eyes of the politicos, these welfare sheep are voters.

Nickdfresh
03-17-2007, 08:30 AM

What about not politically punishing and silencing those Congressional Republicans and Democrats that try to ask for more?

Especially when the casualties started rolling back from the the War they voted us into...

BTW, the "spending has increased" because the Neocunts have have caused something on the order of over 20,000-30,000 casualties that will need treatment for decades to come.

It's the Neocon gift that will keep on giving, and you guys voted for it!

Nickdfresh
03-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
No, the libbys would not allow that. They like to keep the handouts flowing...

Listen to the Chickenhawk dummycon disparage US troops getting a "handout."

Why do you hate US veterans Ultrabitch Van Hagar? Why do you hate America?

ULTRAMAN VH
03-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Take a downer, Secret Squirrel. Did you not read my post? I was agreeing with BBB, that the veterans should get the checks that these bullshit welfare leeches are getting. Again I recommend, anger management classes.

Nickdfresh
03-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
Take a downer, Secret Squirrel. Did you not read my post? I was agreeing with BBB, that the veterans should get the checks that these bullshit welfare leeches are getting. Again I recommend, anger management classes.

Oooohwhoowhooo...

Ultrabitch is blaming the failures of his gov't on welfare?

Nice excuse fuckwit...

Corporate welfare, maybe...

Way to "take responsibility for your actions!"

And I recommend ANY classes at the local community college, since it's pretty obvious that you've never attended any...

blueturk
03-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Maybe if Bushco wouldn't have paid Halliburton $45.00 each for cases of Pepsi, there would be more money for the vets....

BigBadBrian
03-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Oooohwhoowhooo...

Ultrabitch is blaming the failures of his gov't on welfare?

Nice excuse fuckwit...

Corporate welfare, maybe...

Way to "take responsibility for your actions!"

And I recommend ANY classes at the local community college, since it's pretty obvious that you've never attended any...

Nick, please refrain from your third-grade-level name-calling antics.

It's very troubling that you behave this way.

:gulp:

Warham
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Listen to the Chickenhawk dummycon disparage US troops getting a "handout."

Why do you hate US veterans Ultrabitch Van Hagar? Why do you hate America?

I think he was referring to things like welfare, etc., not veterans benefits.

Nickdfresh
03-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I think he was referring to things like welfare, etc., not veterans benefits.

And I think I was offended that he would even bring that enabling shit into this thread.

Nickdfresh
03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Nick, please refrain from your third-grade-level name-calling antics.

It's very troubling that you behave this way.

:gulp:

Suck my balls, poopyhead...

Warham
03-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Can't we all just get along? :)

BigBadBrian
03-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Suck my balls, poopyhead...

"Ahhh, those guys are fags."

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/esemelis/2920080131.jpg

Ellyllions
03-21-2007, 08:04 AM
MORIN: Yeah, the President requested $36.6 billion for medical care. We recommended $38.4 billion.

That's just 2 billion more. Do you believe that 2 billion is going to properly fund the 20,000 or 30,000 you speak of? Morin isn't quite leading the way for radical change with just 2 billion more.

Here's what's happening. AND BOTH PARTIES ARE DOING IT....'08 seems to be the magic number for a whole host of issues. The passed 8 years have been a clusterfuck and they ALL know it. So they're all passing the buck to the upcoming new administration to straighten it all out. Ever started a new job and found that the last person really left you a mess?

Pelosi even stated that she wanted the troops out of Iraq by Fall '08.

hmm....wonder why she'd make that a significant time for the pullout of Iraq?......*ponders*

Warham
03-21-2007, 08:09 AM
She wants it that way so that the Democrats don't have to worry about terrorism when Hillary or Obama take office.

scamper
03-21-2007, 09:16 AM
The gov. has been cutting VA benefits forever, ask any vet and they'll tell you that the contract they signed wasn't worth squat.