PDA

View Full Version : Christians Protest Iraq War

Nickdfresh
03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Anti-war protesters gather in D.C.
Christian group calls Iraq war ‘offense against God’; police arrest hundreds
The Associated Press
Updated: 11:51 a.m. ET March 17, 2007

WASHINGTON - Hundreds of anti-war demonstrators and supporters of the U.S. policy in Iraq shouted at each other Saturday from opposite sides of a street bordering the National Mall as protesters formed a march to the Pentagon to denounce a war entering its fifth year.

The anti-war group carried signs saying “U.S. Out of Iraq Now,” “Stop Iraq War, No Iran War, Impeach” and “Illegal Combat.” The other side carried signs saying “Peace Through Strength,” “al-Qaida Appeasers On Parade” and “We Are At War, Liberals Root For the Enemy.”

Police on horseback and foot separated the demonstrators, who were on opposite sides of Constitution Avenue in view of the Lincoln Memorial. Barriers also kept them apart.

Cheryl Davis, 62, a library assistant from Celina, Ohio, endured a nine-hour overnight drive in the wake of a late-winter storm to raise her voice against the conflict that has killed more than 3,200 members of the U.S. armed forces. “I just want peace,” she said. “I just have to do my part.” She had supported the Vietnam War when her ex-husband fought in it.

‘I’m not sure I’m in support’
Protesters met at the starting point of the epic 1967 march on the Pentagon, which began peacefully but turned ugly in clashes between authorities and more radical elements of the crowd. More than 600 were arrested that day. It was there that anti-war activist Abbie Hoffman led the masses in chants, with the fanciful goal of levitating the building.

Saturday’s march was the main event in demonstrations around the country, stretching to the anniversary of the invasion Tuesday.

Police on horses ensured anti-war protesters and counterdemonstrators stayed apart at the staging area. Several thousand people, many of them service members, rallied in support of the war. They played “The Battle Hymn of the Republic;” the anti-war crowd danced to Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.”

Veterans, some from the Rolling Thunder motorcycle group, lined up at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

“I’m not sure I’m in support of the war,” said William “Skip” Publicover of Charleston, S.C., who was a swift boat gunner in Vietnam and lost two friends whose names are etched on the memorial’s wall. “I learned in Vietnam that it’s difficult if not impossible to win the hearts and minds of the people.”

‘We were quite proud’
Park Police Lt. Scott Fear said more than 200 people were arrested from a crowd of several thousand protesters who marched to the White House on Friday night after a peace service at the Washington National Cathedral. Those arrested were handcuffed, taken away on buses and fined $100 for disobeying a lawful order or crossing a police line. They had demonstrated on the sidewalk in front of the White House, where protesters are required to continue moving.

The windows of the White House were dark, as President Bush was away for the weekend at Camp David in Maryland.

The church service and weekend protests drew John Pattison, 29, from Portland, Ore., to his first anti-war rally. He said his opposition to the war had developed over time.

“Quite literally on the night that shock and awe commenced, my friend and I toasted the military might of the United States,” Pattison said. “We were quite proud and thought we were doing the right thing.”

He said the way the war had progressed and U.S. foreign policy since then had forced him to question his beliefs.

‘An offense against God’
The ecumenical coalition that organized the event, Christian Peace Witness for Iraq, distributed 3,200 tickets for the service in the cathedral, with two smaller churches hosting overflow crowds. The cathedral appeared to be packed, although sleet and snow prevented some from attending.

“This war, from a Christian point of view, is morally wrong — and was from the beginning,” the Rev. Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourners/Call to Renewal, one of the event’s sponsors, said toward the end of the service to cheers and applause. “This war is ... an offense against God.”

In his speech, the Rev. Raphael G. Warnock, senior pastor at Atlanta’s Ebenezer Baptist Church, lashed out at Congress for being “too morally inept to intervene” to stop the war, but even more harshly against President Bush.

“Mr. Bush, my Christian brother, we do need a surge in troops. We need a surge in the nonviolent army of the Lord,” he said. “We need a surge in conscience and a surge in activism and a surge in truth-telling.”

Celeste Zappala of Philadelphia recounted how she learned of the death of her son, Sgt. Sherwood Baker, who served in the National Guard. When a uniformed man came to her door asking if she was Baker’s mother, she said yes.

“‘Yes,’ and then I fell to the ground and somewhere outside of myself I heard someone screaming and screaming,” she said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17655224/)

Ellyllions
03-17-2007, 03:37 PM
...and Rolling Thunder rides again...

I Love Those people!

hideyoursheep
03-17-2007, 03:50 PM
The religious right are waking up slowly to the fact their beliefs have been hijacked in order for W push his agenda, and that they were an afterthought.

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The other side carried signs saying “Peace Through Strength,” “al-Qaida Appeasers On Parade” and “We Are At War, Liberals Root For the Enemy.”

Dumb as Haggis' fans..Throw rocks at them, too.....:rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
03-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
The religious right are waking up slowly to the fact their beliefs have been hijacked in order for W push his agenda, and that they were an afterthought.

Dumb as Haggis' fans..Throw rocks at them, too.....:rolleyes:

Which beliefs are those?

Abortion?

Gay-marriage?

Try again, boy.

hideyoursheep
03-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Which beliefs are those?

Abortion?

Gay-marriage?

Try again, boy.

Yes,

...and don't call me boy, gimp.:mad:

FORD
03-17-2007, 05:05 PM
So Chimpy left town again like the FUCKING GUTLESS AND NUTLESS COWARD that he is??

Why am I not surprised?

And Praise Jesus for the protestors!!

Nickdfresh
03-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Which beliefs are those?

Abortion?

Gay-marriage?

Try again, boy.

Or killing "Islamofascist" babies?

Or having one of the highest infant mortality rates and child poverty rates in the developed world?

Warham
03-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
Yes,

...and don't call me boy, gimp.:mad:

Keep calling him boy, Brian.

:D

Ellyllions
03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
"Christians" isn't the group I've heard was protesting.

AND I'm pretty pissed off that all the information coming out of the media appears to be so fucking inaccurate.

This blog link is a good friend of mine who was THERE in the flesh:
http://www.whatbubbaknows.com/goe03172007.html

Obviously the reason the counter protestors were there initially was to protect the Vietnam War Memorial (the Wall) as last time there was a demonstration some of the memorials were vandalized. Some members of Rolling Thunder rode from MS just to be there.

Also, according to my friend, the "Gathering of Eagles" outnumbered the anti-war protestors by almost 2X. To add insult to injury, there were quite a few Palestinian flags being flown for the anti-war side. Now, why the hell would an American fly a Palestinian flag?

FORD
03-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Every time one of these protests happens, other groups try to steal the spotlight with their own agendas.

That describes both the pro Palestinian crowd and the fucking ridiculous Rolling Thunder display.

War protestors are going to defile the Vietnam Memorial??

I don't think so. Those of us who oppose this insane war are trying to keep another huge black granite wall from being built next to it with another 58,000 names who died for ABSOLUTELY NO VALID REASON.

Let the bikers chase down the Phelps cult all they want. Leave the legitmate war protestors alone.

As for the rights of Palestinians, I'm all in favor of that discussion, but it's completely a seperate matter from the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq, so they should stay away from that.

Ellyllions
03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Rolling Thunder are more than a biker group. They're a group comprised of mostly Vietnam vets who do all kinds of civil duties across the country. They even went to New Orleans and volunteered their time in the aftermath of Katrina. They've also done a LOT to secure better funding for heathcare and benfits for veterans of all kinds.

They stood firm in protection of the Vietnam wall because they felt it was necessary. No need to put a judgement on that. Most of them were in Vietnam when the first protest like this took place. So, in my mind, they have more of a right than anyone to be there on the anniversary.

Just because they made a presence at the protest doesn't mean they were affiliated with either side. Because some were anti-war. BUT the fact that they could stand together in unison makes them better people than most of us.

I only WISH I could be a part of Rolling Thunder.

To add: there were actually rumors that the "ANSWER" group was intending to vandalize the Wall. Was it taken seriously? Well, the VA State Police had a tent set up and was making people empty their pockets before they could go through to get to the wall....so I guess somebody was taking it seriously.

But here you go Ford, go ahead and tell Rolling Thunder how you feel....

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/

I double dog dare you.

FORD
03-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I'll do that right after you do some research on COINTEL Pro. That's the code name for the BCE government's infiltration of legitmate protest movements with their own operatives who make sure they are seen committing destructive and sometimes even illegal acts in order to discredit the protest movement.

As I said, it makes absolutely no sense that opponents of needless war would desecrate a huge black wall that reminds us of the LAST needless war, and the 58,000 Americans who died needlessly because of it.

Not to mention all those who have died since then, whether from cancer caused by chemical weapons, or suicide brought on by the fact that they couldn't leave behind what they had seen over there :(

One of the most infamous images of the Seattle WTO riots in 1999 was a moron in a black ski mask kicking in a Starbucks window.......with a $4 cup of coffee still in his hands!

Anybody who believes that guy was an actual protester should report to their local mental health clinic for a psychiatric examination. Yet that's how it was reported, as that masked BCE agent's picture was printed on newspapers world wide.

Legitimate protesters don't need to hide behind masks. They're proud of their actions and are trying to bring about a better world.

But government agents infiltrating such movements hide behind masks because they are cowards, trying to turn public opinion against those who speak their minds in the name of what is right.

Ellyllions
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
COINTEL Pro?

You got it.

I'm not a big conspiracy theory person though I won't say it isn't "Possible". I can only speak about the people I know personally as I have done.

As far as Rolling Thunder would be concerned, it doesn't matter who it is set to touch that wall in a disrespecful manner, they'd be there to prevent it if they could.

Guitar Shark
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'll do that right after you do some research on COINTEL Pro. That's the code name for the BCE government's infiltration of legitmate protest movements with their own operatives who make sure they are seen committing destructive and sometimes even illegal acts in order to discredit the protest movement.

As I said, it makes absolutely no sense that opponents of needless war would desecrate a huge black wall that reminds us of the LAST needless war, and the 58,000 Americans who died needlessly because of it.

Not to mention all those who have died since then, whether from cancer caused by chemical weapons, or suicide brought on by the fact that they couldn't leave behind what they had seen over there :(

One of the most infamous images of the Seattle WTO riots in 1999 was a moron in a black ski mask kicking in a Starbucks window.......with a $4 cup of coffee still in his hands!

Anybody who believes that guy was an actual protester should report to their local mental health clinic for a psychiatric examination. Yet that's how it was reported, as that masked BCE agent's picture was printed on newspapers world wide.

Legitimate protesters don't need to hide behind masks. They're proud of their actions and are trying to bring about a better world.

But government agents infiltrating such movements hide behind masks because they are cowards, trying to turn public opinion against those who speak their minds in the name of what is right.

I'd like to do some research on this "BCE" you keep going on about. Do they have a web site?

FORD
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I'd like to do some research on this "BCE" you keep going on about. Do they have a web site?

They have several.....

www.newamericancentury.org

www.thecarlylegroup.com

www.dunkindonuts.com

www.halliburton.com

www.kbr.com

www.foxnews.com

Just to name a few......

Guitar Shark
03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
They have several.....

www.thecarlylegroup.com

www.dunkindonuts.com

www.halliburton.com

www.kbr.com

www.foxnews.com

Just to name a few......

Dear FORD,

I went to each of those web sites and didn't find a single reference to this "BCE" thing you keep talking about. How do you explain this?
:confused:

PlexiBrown
03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
“Peace Through Strength,”

They should reverse this to "Strength Through Peace".

Jano
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I though that BUSH talked to god before going to war?
So now god is pissed about it!
What's wrong?

Unchainme
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Only 30 Old Hippies protested in my whole area up at Kent State, I guess people have lives? and would rather be with their families, than stand in the cold and protest something?

Warham
03-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Gathering of Eagles: 30,000 Patriots Hit D.C.

Reports are in and it appears the Gathering of Eagles (GOE) in Washington D.C. on March 17 was an unqualified success. Timed to coincide with International A.N.S.W.E.R.'s annual antiwar protest on the date of the start of the Iraq war, the Gathering of Eages consisted of a grassroots coalition of Vietnam veterans, military family members, conservative activists and just plain folks. All manner of patriots gathered in D.C. to protect the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial from vandals and express the opposition of the once "silent majority" to a repeat of the self-induced defeat of the Vietnam War.

Despite mainstream media efforts to downplay attendance or ignore the event altogether, blogosphere reports count 30,000 GOE participants vs. 5,000-10,000 antiwar protesters. This may mark the beginning of the end of mainstream America's complacency in the face of a vastly outnumbered but vocal (and overreported) antiwar movement whose platform spells disaster for the United States and Iraq.

Never again will America's brave warriors and their cause be abandoned and the people our country has pledged to liberate be left to perish at the hands of tyrants. Those days are most definitely over.

http://cinnamonstillwell.blogspot.com/2007/03/gathering-of-eagles-30000-patriots-hit.html

Warham
03-19-2007, 05:03 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6T5wV4mZrWI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6T5wV4mZrWI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
03-19-2007, 06:50 PM

Actually, that was the "agent provocateur" approach...

Not COINTEL Pro...

Nickdfresh
03-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Gathering of Eagles: 30,000 Patriots Hit D.C.

Reports are in and it appears the Gathering of Eagles (GOE) in Washington D.C. on March 17 was an unqualified success. Timed to coincide with International A.N.S.W.E.R.'s annual antiwar protest on the date of the start of the Iraq war, the Gathering of Eages consisted of a grassroots coalition of Vietnam veterans, military family members, conservative activists and just plain folks. All manner of patriots gathered in D.C. to protect the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial from vandals and express the opposition of the once "silent majority" to a repeat of the self-induced defeat of the Vietnam War.

Despite mainstream media efforts to downplay attendance or ignore the event altogether, blogosphere reports count 30,000 GOE participants vs. 5,000-10,000 antiwar protesters. This may mark the beginning of the end of mainstream America's complacency in the face of a vastly outnumbered but vocal (and overreported) antiwar movement whose platform spells disaster for the United States and Iraq.

Never again will America's brave warriors and their cause be abandoned and the people our country has pledged to liberate be left to perish at the hands of tyrants. Those days are most definitely over.

http://cinnamonstillwell.blogspot.com/2007/03/gathering-of-eagles-30000-patriots-hit.html

Complete bullshit...

The DC police "unofficially" estimated the anti-War protesters to be at about 15,000-25,000 (they will no longer officially estimate protests/rallies for political reasons, and the estimate was not far off the organizers upper end count of 30K), and the counter-demonstrators were far less numerous overall according to the Post. Though they were clustered and vocal at various points...

These blogs are just making up numbers...

Nickdfresh
03-19-2007, 06:58 PM
They have several.....

www.thecarlylegroup.com

www.dunkindonuts.com

www.halliburton.com

www.kbr.com

www.foxnews.com

Just to name a few......

Dunkin Donuts? Oh-god Noooo!

Warham
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Complete bullshit...

The DC police "unofficially" estimated the anti-War protesters to be at about 15,000-25,000 (they will no longer officially estimate protests/rallies for political reasons, and the estimate was not far off the organizers upper end count of 30K), and the counter-demonstrators were far less numerous overall according to the Post. Though they were clustered and vocal at various points...

These blogs are just making up numbers...

Actually, I'd believe the blogs of people who were there than I would the mainstream media. They've got an agenda to push.

I'm surprised they didn't say there were 100,000 anti-war protestors there.

Warham
03-19-2007, 07:47 PM
The National Park Service gave the estimate of 30,000, not a blogger.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/425140661_b3e035983e.jpg?v=0

hehe

Ellyllions
03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
"Bubba" also says that the anti was sorely outnumbered. And he's so brutally honest that I know for a fact he wouldn't lie. He enjoyed being with the Eagles.

FORD
03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Dunkin Donuts? Oh-god Noooo!

Seriously.... Carlyle/BCE bought out them and Baskin Robbins last year.

Guess it makes it easier that way.... they can import certain agricultural substances into the country labeled as "powdered sugar" without attracting suspicion now.

FORD
03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
The National Park Service gave the estimate of 30,000, not a blogger.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/425140661_b3e035983e.jpg?v=0

hehe

That picture is a filthy lie! Hillary is owned by AIPAC. Chimpy is owned by Al Qaeda (a wholly owned subsidiary of Bush Criminal Empire, Inc.)

FORD
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
"Bubba" also says that the anti was sorely outnumbered. And he's so brutally honest that I know for a fact he wouldn't lie. He enjoyed being with the Eagles.

If 30,000 people showed up looking for the "Eagles" they probably misunderstood, and were looking for these guys.....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rd9WBhum_oc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rd9WBhum_oc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Warham
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I need to post some more pictures from the event.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/425140444_a9a8eb9dc5.jpg?v=0

FORD
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Freepers are truly sick excuses for human beings :(

Ellyllions
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2wO3eSmWVo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2wO3eSmWVo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Warham
03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/425140618_52d01134a2.jpg?v=0

FORD
03-19-2007, 09:58 PM
See how obsessed these fucking idiots are? It's really pathetic.

Warham
03-19-2007, 10:01 PM

You mean these US veterans, FORD?

Warham
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/425140761_ee7a00021a.jpg?v=0

ODShowtime
03-19-2007, 10:11 PM
"safe since 9-11"

What the fuck does that mean? Safe since 3000 people were ruthlessly murdered? Great.

FORD
03-19-2007, 10:26 PM
You mean these US veterans, FORD?

If Vietnam Veterans are still troubled by the war, they should seek help.

If they're still troubled by Jane Fonda - who never did a damn thing to them in the first place - then they definitely NEED it.

And as for John Kerry.... He IS a Vietnam Vet. Unlike that fucking piece of shit you voted for.

FORD
03-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
"safe since 9-11"

What the fuck does that mean? Safe since 3000 people were ruthlessly murdered? Great.

Nah, it's just that Freepers have learned to limit the size of the words they use on their signs, since they're usually illiterate shitheads with horrible spelling.

Guitar Shark
03-20-2007, 01:13 AM

That reminds me, how many times have you mentioned the "BCE" in the last 5 years?

FORD
03-20-2007, 02:58 AM
That reminds me, how many times have you mentioned the "BCE" in the last 5 years?

How many things have they done to destroy this country?

Warham
03-20-2007, 07:14 AM
If Vietnam Veterans are still troubled by the war, they should seek help.

If they're still troubled by Jane Fonda - who never did a damn thing to them in the first place - then they definitely NEED it.

And as for John Kerry.... He IS a Vietnam Vet. Unlike that fucking piece of shit you voted for.

I'm troubled by this anti-veteran stance, FORD.

Warham
03-20-2007, 07:21 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/87/425143172_232171e423.jpg?v=0

BigBadBrian
03-20-2007, 07:43 AM
How many things have they done to destroy this country?

None.

The BCE is a made-up fantasy of your imagination.

Nickdfresh
03-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I need to post some more pictures from the event.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/425140444_a9a8eb9dc5.jpg?v=0

Cindy Sheehan supports the Bush Administration?

Who knew!?

Ellyllions
03-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Cindy Sheehan is a mom suffering with incredible guilt which has probably led to a monster case of Post-Traumatic Stress disorder. She's not functioning on all 4-cylinders.

Er go, she is NOT a good example for speaking on anything. She needs mental help.

FORD
03-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Cindy Sheehan is completely sane. Or as sane as a mother can be, whose son was slaughtered for oil profits and Likud paranoia.

It's this fucking BCE murderous treasonous foreign policy which is INSANE.

Guitar Shark
03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
No offense, FORD, but you aren't exactly the poster child for sanity.

What appears insane to you probably appears sane to most other people.

FORD
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
No offense, FORD, but you aren't exactly the poster child for sanity.

What appears insane to you probably appears sane to most other people.

How does declaring war on a nation which was NEVER a threat to the United States appear sane to anyone?

Or at least anyone who is themselves sane, by any logical standard.

Ellyllions
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
She is NOT sane.

What mother, who just lost a son, would leave her husband and her two other little ones behind to persue anything.

Tragedy will do one of 2 things to you:
Draw you closer to your support system, or throw you in the padded room .... You guess which one happened to Cindy.

I feel sorry for the lady, I truly do.

Warham
03-21-2007, 01:43 PM
To see if she's sane or not, just look at the people she's hanging out with.

bueno bob
03-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I was in the PDX rally last weekend...

Didn't stay long...I can't stand crowds...

I got some really cool pics, though. I'll see about getting them up later if nobody's opposed...