PDA

View Full Version : Dog & Cat food recall:

VHChic4Dave
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone need info on the recall? I'm a Registered Vet Tech.. Maybe I can help explain the problem with the food. All these recalls are for CANNED foods. Lots of diff brands containing "wheat gluten" which is a type of protein. The pets affected died from kidney failure. Any high protien amts can cause the kidneys to shut down... it is though that other substance could be invloved. When I get all the info from work
I will post.

If you see your pet become: off balance, decrease water in take. vomiting or general lethargia (seems lazy or tired)it could be signs of a problem.

IF YOU BOUGHT THE FOOD TAKE YOUR PET IN AND HAVE THE DVM CHECK THEM OUT AND GET THEM ON MEDICATION RIGHT AWAY.

GOD BLESS. Jeannette
concerned RVT & pet lover
:angel:

Tiki-Tom
03-20-2007, 02:41 AM
No questions here but I wanna say this much.
This is a very cool gesture on your part.
keep up the good work. Bless you.:)

VHChic4Dave
03-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Tiki-Tom:

Thanks... Just trying to help out. Your very kind to type back.

The treatment is going to be Dialysis to flush out the pets system.
This involves either Sub-Q fluids (under the skin) or IV cath placement
if any signs of kindey problems start.
This is what the Vets have told us. Everyone just stop feeding any canned or pouched wet food. This recall does not include any dry foods. More info later. J

Oh, dry food is better for your pets teeth anyway. :D

Dr. Love
03-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Hm, I fed my cats a soft food can about 2 days before the recall, think I should have a concern?

Guitar Shark
03-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Hm, I fed my cats a soft food can about 2 days before the recall, think I should have a concern?

Dr. Love's cats eat cans. That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

PumpedUpMidget
03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
What about the neighborhood bums who scrape by daily by eating Alpo? Do they have to worry?

Dr. Love
03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Dr. Love's cats eat cans. That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

As if I'd share the food with them! I am the human in this house!

VHChic4Dave
03-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Dr LOVE: Cool looking CAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is more info: Foods Manufactured between 12-3-06 thru 3-6-07

There at least 30 types of food brands effected by the recall. I wish I could tell you if your cats ate one of these brands
The foods are both manufactured & sold under private =label and are cantract - manufactured for some national brands.

BEST THING TO DO IS FEED DRY food. Watch for any change in eating . drinking or overall personality. i.e (hyper cat becomes & lethargic)

So, here is the Contact info for a list of foods that are on the recall
list.

1-866-895-2708
www.menufoods.com

Good luck everyone. And remember animals give unconditonal LOVE !!
They are there for you when no one else seems to give a shit !!!;)

diamondsgirl
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
My cat, Zachary, was almost in kidney failure. My brother is a vet and he noticed the symptoms and we tested Zack and sure enough...his creatinine was waaay up. He spent the day in clinic with his "uncle" getting his IV and then came home on a special prescription diet.

Here's what pisses me off though...this woman down the street (you know, the neighborhood "cat lady") was the one feeding this food to my cat. So when my bro asked me what I was feeding him...it didn't add up. He thought maybe it was related to Zack's age (he's 17).

When this story broke and I remembered the loony down the street had been luring him into her house with her yummy tasting canned food. (I always fed him dry food.) My cat is such a food whore that he went for it...

IMO, no one should feed other people's animals, especially when they are clearly being well cared for.

Unless, of course, they are asked to. :)

http://www.geocities.com/stuckinthe70s/images/morris.jpg

DeadOrAlive
03-24-2007, 01:22 AM
I love my kitty.