PDA

View Full Version : Push Comes To shove Is Fuckin Awesome

Kilkmaru
03-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Puts me in such a Good Mood for some reason.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-21-2007, 02:52 AM
I believe it was inevitable.

Kilkmaru
03-21-2007, 02:54 AM
What was that? Also id like to say that Fair Warning is probably my favorite album ever.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-21-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Kilkmaru

Originally posted by Kilkmaru
What was that?

You've got to be kidding me.

fryingdutchman
03-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
You've got to be kidding me.

Clearly it MUST be his favorite song, seeing how he latched on so quickly to your lyrical reference.

Kilkmaru
03-21-2007, 11:39 AM
haha yeah im slow right now

frets5150
03-22-2007, 12:06 AM
I always hated that song when It first came out but just learned it in the last 2 days. I know i'm a lil slow. :D I like the way he plays with daves vocals "Thats when push come to shove I beleive the words unevitalbe"
Great shit havin a hard time with 124 sec to 133 i got the first layer down i cant get the second 1 yet.By far Ed's best RHYTHEM song

chi-town324
03-24-2007, 04:34 PM
whats there to do tonight anything?

flappo
03-26-2007, 03:02 PM
the solo is a fookin masterwork

one of his best

jero
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by flappo

one of his best

That's the problem with CVH. Every week I have a new favorite song/solo

Diamondjimi
10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by flappo

one of his best

Dude ya read fuckin my mind. Fuckin brilliant solo !

ace diamond
10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
is there anything left in that bottle?

DlocRoth
10-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah.

Give it here, man. Give it here.

jharp84
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Used to get stoned in the famous" Juice" back porch - listened to fair warning w/the gang, even some of the gals, did not like "push comes to shove" however, that was 1981-1982! The song grew on me BIG TIME! The SOLO is "priceless"

Back-porch: Awesome!
Doobage: OK!
Annie's chest: FUCKIN AWESOME!
Solo from Push: PRICELESS!

chi-town324
10-30-2007, 09:21 PM
does it seem cold in here to you?

chi-town324
10-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
Used to get stoned in the famous" Juice" back porch - listened to fair warning w/the gang, even some of the gals, did not like "push comes to shove" however, that was 1981-1982! The song grew on me BIG TIME! The SOLO is "priceless"

Solo from Push: PRICELESS! we need to get you a new back porch my brother

jharp84
10-30-2007, 09:24 PM
No! Not with Annies Chest! DIG???

chi-town324
10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
enlighten

brianjayy
11-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Give him another cigarette, dammit...Actually, it's an OK tune, but it's in a bad spot on the album...I wish "Unchained" went right into "So This Is Love"...

Howlin' Wolf
11-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Great Hoggily Woggily this tune is reggae rock thug pop......

jharp84
12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
SOLO SMOKES MUDDAFUCKIN ASS! they do this live 2ND leg! it would kill!

binnie
12-04-2007, 02:58 AM
I think it might be the most emotional track Van Halen ever recorded. One of my favourite set of lyrics...

jharp84
12-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I think it might be the most emotional track Van Halen ever recorded. One of my favourite set of lyrics...

Shit yes! BINMASTER! :cool: They need to say ba-bye to I'll Wait, and a few others.... Add this bad boy and now the stage is "smolderin" :killer:

binnie
12-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
Shit yes! BINMASTER! :cool: They need to say ba-bye to I'll Wait, and a few others.... Add this bad boy and now the stage is "smolderin" :killer:

It'd work great live, and there's a lot that they could do with it as part of the show/ talking to the crowd etc...

jharp84
12-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Ad INFINITUM! VH - keep the faith! BINMASTER! If they come back to chicago for a 3rd fuckin show! In 8 months! They fuckin well mean biz about overseas! Fuck it! Send me a pm w/addy and I send some 2007 dvd's!

diamondsgirl
12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey J

I believe it was inevitable... :cool:

jharp84
12-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Gospel! Speaketh! DG! So it is written! sO IT SHALL BE!

chi-town324
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
could this be the one that got away?

BALLYJUNKIE
12-18-2007, 06:22 AM
i play a little harmonica riff ,with push comes to shove .....its great !!!

sadaist
12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
One of my top 3 VH songs. Solo is incredible.

Terry
12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
A track that grew on me over the years...seemed out of place on the album at the time, agreed...I'd gladly rather see them play this than I'll Wait live...I'll Wait was always a dead-spot for me on record, and live it just grinds everything to a halt.

Cato
09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
is it reggae?

discuss...

Cato
09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I hope no one remembers I've started the same thread before....

vaijuju
09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Push comes to shove is like this (Ska/rock? reggae?)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSiJnzlxofo?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSiJnzlxofo?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(i like this band, all my youth)

Cato
09-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Push comes to shove is like this (Ska/rock? reggae?)

yes. sounds like almost the same song.

Diamondjimi
09-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I hope no one remembers I've started the same thread before....

No worries, Chef will be along soon with a link... :hee:

(j/k Chef):biggrin:

Diamondjimi
09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
I'd say it's a bit disco,reggae, soft rock.

I def. got one of my fav. solo's....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3aW7oofNgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3aW7oofNgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

vaijuju
09-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I'd say it's a bit disco,reggae, soft rock.

I def. got one of my fav. solo's....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3aW7oofNgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3aW7oofNgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

me too i like this solo

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-weTyMbfVFU?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-weTyMbfVFU?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

i have a theory vai do the big trouble' solo after listen push comes to shove!(the end of the solo)

PS : yes! diamondjimi there's some disco like this(the bass) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxHE876o3ME&ob=av2e

vanhalen1r2
09-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Its a great song and the solo is killer, but I do not think its influenced by nor sounds reggae

VAiN
09-02-2010, 04:11 PM
If nothing else, to me it sounds like Eddie was channeling some Stones. What a grate fuckin song.. totally underrated. One of my favs for sure! You can hear its influence in Secrets as well... but with less production.

Cato
09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
No worries, Chef will be along soon with a link... :hee:

(j/k Chef):biggrin:
just recalled it was 8 years ago.

Diamondjimi
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjcqMLi8WPQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjcqMLi8WPQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
me too i like this solo

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-weTyMbfVFU?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-weTyMbfVFU?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

i have a theory vai do the big trouble' solo after listen push comes to shove!(the end of the solo)

Very similar in vibe. Vai's solo is fuckin mint!

vanhalen1r2
09-03-2010, 07:37 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjcqMLi8WPQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjcqMLi8WPQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Is that you playing ?? Damn good job

VanHalenFan5150
09-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Sorry to jump in, but I don't think PCTS sounds like reggae... It's just a very subliminal song for Van Halen

ashstralia
09-04-2010, 08:22 AM
btw, jojo zep is an aussie band, joe camilleri is still very active in the scene here.
i always thought pcts had more of a smoky blues vibe, def one of my fave solos.
and vai on big trouble? best vai solo ever imho.

vaijuju
09-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Sorry to jump in, but I don't think PCTS sounds like reggae... It's just a very subliminal song for Van Halen

Push Comes to Shove (3:48)
"Push Comes To Shove," according to Edward, came about partly because Dave wanted to cash in on the reggae craze that was sweeping the nation in the very early 80's. Edward played the solo at least 20 different times, but Ted wasn't happy with it. They called it a day, and Ed returned to the studio that night and played it again, the same way he had done earlier that day. The next day he showed it to Ted and the producer loved it.
(from classicvanhalen.com)

lesfunk
09-05-2010, 01:51 PM
It always felt like a lazy funk jam to me

Little Texan
09-06-2010, 04:25 AM
I always thought that Push had kind of a disco sound to it, as did Dancing In The Street on Diver Down.

SunisinuS
09-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Some people live apart
They break your heart so damn easy
An' then one night in stunning victory
She decides and you agree: she's leavin'

I get the message, guess I knew it all along
Says you're a stranger here in paradise, you fool
It seems like forty days and forty nights
Since someone used my first name, including you

Straight up blues....channelling Al Jolson "Ah! It's a small change" and "Fool in the Rain" through the drool of a David Lee Roth/Janis Joplin growl that makes you wish you never met her.

SunisinuS
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Solo from Push: PRICELESS!

Well chick's should be ashamed of themselves whenever this song is played......... :hitch:

Va Beach VH Fan
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Threads merged...

ShadowOfTheWave
09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Probably my favorite song on FW. Kick ass bass, and some of best lyrics DLR every wrote.

diamondsgirl
09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I dunno. Kind of at the bottom of the (6) pack for me.

Just (barely) above I'll Wait and Jump.

I always thought of it as the weak spot on FW.

chefcraig
09-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I always thought of it as the weak spot on FW.

I'll admit, the song pretty much falls apart after it, but that guitar solo and everything leading up to it strikes me as some of the finest stuff VH ever recorded. The tune really showed (as did several songs on Fair Warning) a dark and almost introspective side to the band, far removed from it's usual hedonistic party themes. Sadly, that is also likely why it stunk in the sales department.

VHscraps
09-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, I think Dave once described it as 'a cosmic Latin reggae kind of thing'. And I've read Ed say in an interview that Dave tried to get him to come up with a kind of reggae feel for that song.

But, I don't think it really sounds like reggae the closer you listen.

The bass is more funk-like, than it is reggae - Mike Anthony said that Eddie got him to listen to Percy Jones's bass playing (he's the guy who played with Allan Holdsworth at the time). Eddie's guitar part is kinda reggae-ish in its rhythm - if it was isolated it might sound quite reggae-ish - but it's still different than reggae guitar, which is more clipped and has more 'holes' in it. The idea with reggae is that 'less is more', so as a reggae tune develops it often ends up with more space in it. Dub reggae is the most extreme form of that, where a song begins usually with everything in the picture, so to speak, but then gradually musical instruments or phrases drop out, leaving bass and drums and the rest very minimal.

I don't think Alex plays like a reggae drummer on this - I can't explain what makes me say that, but maybe something to do with not being locked in with the bass - that's also what makes the bass line seem more like a funk kinda thing.

I think it's just a Van Halen stew of a variety of influences that comes out sounding different than anything else they ever did.

But, all the same, it has a feel that is not really 'rock'

chefcraig
09-23-2010, 04:49 PM
But, I don't think it really sounds like reggae the closer you listen...I don't think Alex plays like a reggae drummer on this - I can't explain what makes me say that, but maybe something to do with not being locked in with the bass - that's also what makes the bass line seem more like a funk kinda thing.

It's fairly simple to explain. In 4/4 rock music, the accents are on the 2 and the 4, whereas in reggae they are on the 1 and the 3. Instead of attempting a reggae beat, Alex chose to plod along with a traditional rock beat, as was his usual routine in that era. The fact is, he didn't come into his own as an inventive drummer until sometime in the late eighties.

VHscraps
09-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Instead of attempting a reggae beat, Alex chose to plod along with a traditional rock beat, as was his usual routine in that era. The fact is, he didn't come into his own as an inventive drummer until sometime in the late eighties.

Maybe Alex should've dropped the Schlitz and smoked some more ganja.

'Push' is still one of my favourites. Eddie's solo is brilliant. I thought Alex's playing on 1984 was great all the way through - I love the way he comes in on 'House of Pain', totally disorientated before kinda straightening out.

I've seen him compared to Bonham, but to me he seems like the least Bonham-like of rock drummers. I think he has a lighter touch and can swing, though. Probably listened to a lot of non-rock stuff when he was growing up as well.

hotsummerknight
07-12-2011, 12:52 AM

hell yeah. that and one foot out the door are pretty cool sleepers off that album.

SunisinuS
07-12-2011, 02:46 AM
It's fairly simple to explain. In 4/4 rock music, the accents are on the 2 and the 4, whereas in reggae they are on the 1 and the 3. Instead of attempting a reggae beat, Alex chose to plod along with a traditional rock beat, as was his usual routine in that era. The fact is, he didn't come into his own as an inventive drummer until sometime in the late eighties.

Hmmm.

You ever listen to VH1 and 2?

Sorry....Alex ain't half bad.

VHscraps
07-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Remember reading that Ed said it was Dave who pushed him - so to speak. He wanted some kind of reggae vibe, and once it goes through the mincer you have something totally not like reggae, but also quite a bit different. And yay, the solo is a masterclass in feel.

VAiN
07-22-2011, 12:34 AM
The rhythm parts to that song always blow me away... So much with so little. Just amazing and beautiful. I'd love to hear isolated tracks and just pick it apart. A masterpiece, IMO.

Nitro Express
07-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Is there anything left in that bottle? Over here.

SunisinuS
07-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Is there anything left in that bottle? Over here.

Yeah.

Nitro Express
07-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Some people live apart
They break your heart so damn easy
An' then one night in stunning victory
She decides and you agree: she's leavin'

I get the message, guess I knew it all along
Says you're a stranger here in paradise, you fool
It seems like forty days and forty nights
Since someone used my first name, including you

Straight up blues....channelling Al Jolson "Ah! It's a small change" and "Fool in the Rain" through the drool of a David Lee Roth/Janis Joplin growl that makes you wish you never met her.

I never paid attention to the lyrics but the bitch says she's leaving and it's her loss because she's leaving the paradise she never was worthy of. Ha! That is some sweet poetry the way Dave laid it down.