PDA

View Full Version : Brian Young

DirtyDeeds
03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey, I'm new.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any Brian Young sites or anywhere where I can get info on him, particularly specs about his gear and whatnot. Also, what is he up to now that VH and The DLR Band are on hiatus?

I really like his tone, and would like to know what he uses to achieve a great EVH sound without having to sit through trying to be sold on EVH signature crap.

I'm sorry if this should have gone in the musicians section. I'm not all too familiar with how your forum runs. But hey everyone!

indeedido
03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I remember seeing them in Dallas and saw he had several of the Marshall 1959 Plexis. Here is part of an article I found. Intersting stuff too about Dave:

Brian: I have two main guitars. Mike Charvel, Wayne Charvel’s son, did most of the work on my guitars. I’m using Seymour Duncan pickups. One’s called a Custom Custom that I’m using. Floyd Rose tremolo, and it’s pretty basic. Got the D-Tuna thing on it. And then the amps I’m using are two Peavey 5150 II’s into two 100 watt Marshalls and into some power amps...there’s a Marshall 100 watt power amp and an H&H power amp to drive speakers on the other side of the stage. So it’s a lot of power going on. And then, I’m just using an MXR Phase 90, MXR flanger and a Boss digital delay and a Bad Horsey wah-wah pedal. And a Bradshaw switching system to switch all my effects.

http://tormentedvhfans.com/interview/2004/brian_young.shtml

eddie007
03-21-2007, 03:55 PM
I heard he used a Mojave Ampworks Scorpion Amp too.

www.mojaveampworks.com

Prothro
03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Don't know anything about his gear , but I did get to meet him one time in Valdosta Ga , he was cool , gave me a pic and took some pictures with the fans.

Panamark
03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Elvis will tell you all about Brian Young :)

He reckons he's fantastic ! lol :D

Nitro Express
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
You can get a classic VH tone on the 5150 II and the 5150 combo if you tweak it. You can't on the regular 5150.

I heard a guy playing some VH tunes through a 5150 combo and it blew me away how brown the tone was. He claimed the amp was factory stock.

jhale667
03-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Panamark

LOL :D

ELVIS
03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

I also reckon this thread might be a setup...

:elvis:

BrownSound1
03-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Brian uses the Mojave Scorpion for sure, or he did last time I talked to him.

Diamondjimi
04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Never cared much for his sound. Not enough headroom.
IMO....

BrownSound1
04-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Brian's a great guy, but I wish he'd ditch the EMG pickups. I HATE those damn things...too sterile and lifeless. Of course who the hell am I...he's the one making a living playing music. :D

Diamondjimi
04-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Brian's a great guy, but I wish he'd ditch the EMG pickups. I HATE those damn things...too sterile and lifeless. Of course who the hell am I...he's the one making a living playing music. :D

LOL !

I hear ya there .....

:D

Nitro Express
05-06-2007, 03:52 PM
It's the player more than the equipment. I've heard great players sound good through the cheapest of amps. A top notch plexi isn't going to make a shitty guitar player sound good.

Equipment only refines the sounds coming from the fingers.

Nitro Express
05-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I was talking to Ted Nugent last summer and he told me people are learning to play guitar through too much shit. He said learn to play through a basic amp with no effects and no distortion peddles. He said you learn to coax sound out of the strings and guitar that way. He's right. The less crap, the better you learn to play.

I have found amps I didn't like before have a whole knew life just because I pick and play the strings differently.

Nitro Express
05-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Ted might be an asshole in some ways but where he's cool is if you want to learn how to play guitar. He is very open in showing you what he does. He's not some asshole that plays games with you or tells you it's a big secret. You can learn more talking to the Nuge in five minutes than you can talking to someone else for hours. He's played with everybody from Hendrix and Van Halen. He giggled and showed me something Jimi Hendrix showed him years ago. How cool is that. I mean this dude hung out with Andy Warhol. Can you believe that? LOL!

jhale667
05-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I was talking to Ted Nugent last summer and he told me people are learning to play guitar through too much shit. He said learn to play through a basic amp with no effects and no distortion peddles. He said you learn to coax sound out of the strings and guitar that way. He's right. The less crap, the better you learn to play.

I have found amps I didn't like before have a whole knew life just because I pick and play the strings differently.

Actually, the best way to practice is without an amp at all...if you can get your note articulation down to where you can hear every note in a fast run acoustically, you will be blazing by the time you do play amplified...;)

cdwillis
05-07-2007, 08:18 AM
True about playing without an amp, but you also miss out on all the string noise the amp would pickup on.

jhale667
05-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by cdwillis
True about playing without an amp, but you also miss out on all the string noise the amp would pickup on.

Ah, but if you're articulating the notes properly acoustically, there should be less string noise anyway. ;)

BrownSound1
05-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Hell just practice on an acoustic. :D Builds the fingers up.

DirtyDeeds
05-10-2007, 02:46 AM
I've always been a guitar-straight-into-amp kind of guy myself. That's really cool about the Nuge. I didn't know he knew all those people. I've been working hard to sharpen up my skills. By the end of summer I'm looking forward to getting some top-notch gear. Why not? It's fun, I've been saving and training for it, and I might as well do it now while I'm young (19) before I have real big bills to pay.

cdwillis
05-10-2007, 05:48 AM
You might as well get top quality instead of some piece of shit equipment and have to put just as much money into it to make it decent.