PDA

View Full Version : Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes battle to court

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes battle to court

March 22, 2007
BY LISA FEDOROWICZ
A Neuqua Valley High senior has gone to federal court seeking the right to wear an anti-gay T-shirt to school next month on the day after a national event in support of gays is scheduled in schools.
Heidi Zamecnik, 17, is asking the court to order her school and Indian Prairie District 204 to allow her to express her anti-gay beliefs on April 19, the day after the 11th annual "Day of Silence'' is scheduled to protest harassment of gays in schools.

According to the Web site www.dayofsilence.org,students and teachers across the country plan to observe the day in silence "to echo'' the silence that gay students face all the time.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday on behalf of Heidi and an NVHS freshman did not state what written message they planned to wear on T-shirts.

'Day of Silence'
Heidi's father, Carl Zamecnik, declined to comment Wednesday night on behalf of his family, and he referred calls to an attorney.
Because of her family's "sincerely held religious beliefs" against homosexuality, "they wish to share their conviction that true happiness cannot be found through homosexual behavior," the suit says.

During her first two years of high school, the Naperville resident did not outwardly object to the "Day of Silence," in which students wear pro-gay messages on T-shirts. But in her junior year, Heidi wore a T-shirt the day after a "Day of Silence." It read in part, "BE HAPPY, NOT GAY."

That day, April 26, 2006, Dean of Students Bryan Wells told Heidi to remove the shirt or leave because her message offended others, according to the suit. When she refused, her mother was called.

'Be Happy. Be Straight'

Linda Zamecnik and Wells agreed Wells could alter the shirt's message to read "Be Happy. Be Straight."
But the suit says the agreement was broken when a school counselor crossed out "NOT GAY" in black marker but nothing replaced it.

The suit says Linda Zamecnik discussed the issue with the principal and superintendent and was told that staff had done nothing wrong.

The suit says Heidi suffered unlawful discrimination, humiliation and punishment by school personnel merely because they didn't agree with her viewpoint.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/308282,CST-NWS-gay22.article)

FORD
03-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Should we let little Klan kids wear their bedsheets to school next?

Keep your fucking hate out of the school.

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Hate has nothing to do with it.

Of course, I would expect such a statement from those of you, like yourself, FORD, who are sexually "ambiguous."

:lol:

FORD
03-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Of course, I would expect such a statement from those of you, like yourself, FORD, who are sexually "ambiguous."

Only Republicans would be hateful enough to believe that you have to be a member of a minority group to support their civil rights.

Nickdfresh
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM

Or psuedo-macho freaks that really, really seem to care about gays, a lot?:)

Shamrock
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
I personally don't think that an individual should be able to wear shirts that discriminate against any race, religion or sexual orientation, however, I also think that this is a two way street. If you are not going to allow people to express themselves about their anti-beliefs of something, schools should not be participating in the national day of silence or any other event that is related to race religion or sexual orientation.

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Or psuedo-macho freaks that really, really seem to care about gays, a lot?:)

Such as liberals like yourself?

Considering the above statement, you just had to post didn't you?

:D :D

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Shamrock
I personally don't think that an individual should be able to wear shirts that discriminate against any race, religion or sexual orientation, however, I also think that this is a two way street. If you are not going to allow people to express themselves about their anti-beliefs of something, schools should not be participating in the national day of silence or any other event that is related to race religion or sexual orientation.

Exactly.

This is the point that the young lady was trying to prove, obviously.

Free Speech is a two-way street.

Nickdfresh
03-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Gee BigBitch, who started this thread again?:)

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Gee BigBitch, who started this thread again?:)

Nick, you just can't post a damned thing without an insult, can you?

Anyhow...

I'm comfortable with my heterosexuality.

What about you and your butt-dart friends?

:D

Warham
03-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Liberals here slander gays often. It makes me wonder where the compassion is, the tolerance.

Nickdfresh
03-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Exactly.

This is the point that the young lady was trying to prove, obviously.

Free Speech is a two-way street.

Well, I'm all for freedom of speech (unlike you):)

But...

The problem is that I'd read too many of these partisan "issues" only to find that there are two sides to this, and that the article intentionally misrepresents the facts and often lies by omission...

I'm speaking of the numerous "War on Christmas"/"War on Easter" crap articles you've posted...

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Liberals here slander gays often. It makes me wonder where the compassion is, the tolerance.

Exactly, how many times have the members of the Lunatic Left here in the Frontline insulted someone by calling them a "fag."

Then they whine and bitch when Ann Coulter uses the term...most appropriately I might add. :D

Nickdfresh
03-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Nick, you just can't post a damned thing without an insult, can you?

Um, dickhead, 90% of your posts have been derogatory attacks on other people, or their opinions and ideas. All while offering none your own.

Anyhow...

I'm comfortable with my heterosexuality.

What about you and your butt-dart friends?

Yeah, I can tell you are, squid. So comfortable, you are constantly worried about the 'homo agenda' or some shit like that...

I mean, you must have some insight into all this gayness you can share.;)

Maybe you can share with us some of the great Christian thoughts on gays --by Ted Haggert?

As for my "Butt-dart" friends (my, aren't we clever).

I don't currently have any, but did have a gay friend while I was in the Army. He was a good guy, and far more moral than me and some of my fellow heterosexual friends, and about 90% of the 20-somethings I served with.

But anyhoo, I could share insights like gay teenagers are the highest suicide demographic (I think), and are far more likely to be victims of a hate crime, by "macho" guys "comfortable" with their "heterosexuality."

Not that a homophobic, repressed prick like you would care about that.

Guitar Shark
03-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Only Republicans would be hateful enough to believe that you have to be a member of a minority group to support their civil rights.

Well said.

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Well said.

Slow day in the E.R., huh?

Nickdfresh
03-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Slow day at the...say --what is it that you do anyways?

So much for "insults," huh hypowit...

Guitar Shark
03-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Brian, you should really go find another website where more than 10% of the other users will actually take you seriously. Free advice, no charge.

Warham
03-22-2007, 07:29 PM

What a bunch of poppycock.

Baby's On Fire
03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Shamrock

BINGO.

Faggots are constantly seeking attention and flaunting it......all these gay parades. It is everyone's right to express their disdain for it. Expressing disdain does not equate to hate. That's horseshit.

BigBadBrian
03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Brian, you should really go find another website where more than 10% of the other users will actually take you seriously. Free advice, no charge.

You're deluded if you DO take this site seriously.

We haven't had any meaningful debates in here in over two years, and you know it.

Gee, I wonder what crop of posters showed up then? :rolleyes:

Keef
03-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes battle to court

March 22, 2007
BY LISA FEDOROWICZ
A Neuqua Valley High senior has gone to federal court seeking the right to wear an anti-gay T-shirt to school next month on the day after a national event in support of gays is scheduled in schools.
Heidi Zamecnik, 17, is asking the court to order her school and Indian Prairie District 204 to allow her to express her anti-gay beliefs on April 19, the day after the 11th annual "Day of Silence'' is scheduled to protest harassment of gays in schools.

According to the Web site www.dayofsilence.org,students and teachers across the country plan to observe the day in silence "to echo'' the silence that gay students face all the time.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday on behalf of Heidi and an NVHS freshman did not state what written message they planned to wear on T-shirts.

'Day of Silence'
Heidi's father, Carl Zamecnik, declined to comment Wednesday night on behalf of his family, and he referred calls to an attorney.
Because of her family's "sincerely held religious beliefs" against homosexuality, "they wish to share their conviction that true happiness cannot be found through homosexual behavior," the suit says.

During her first two years of high school, the Naperville resident did not outwardly object to the "Day of Silence," in which students wear pro-gay messages on T-shirts. But in her junior year, Heidi wore a T-shirt the day after a "Day of Silence." It read in part, "BE HAPPY, NOT GAY."

That day, April 26, 2006, Dean of Students Bryan Wells told Heidi to remove the shirt or leave because her message offended others, according to the suit. When she refused, her mother was called.

'Be Happy. Be Straight'

Linda Zamecnik and Wells agreed Wells could alter the shirt's message to read "Be Happy. Be Straight."
But the suit says the agreement was broken when a school counselor crossed out "NOT GAY" in black marker but nothing replaced it.

The suit says Linda Zamecnik discussed the issue with the principal and superintendent and was told that staff had done nothing wrong.

The suit says Heidi suffered unlawful discrimination, humiliation and punishment by school personnel merely because they didn't agree with her viewpoint.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/308282,CST-NWS-gay22.article)

I say let people do whatever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with someone else. And that's across the board.

I know why you start these type threads.. so do you. And... Fuck you for it:)

DrMaddVibe
03-23-2007, 07:46 AM
What definition did the kid mean?

Top Web Results for "gay"

19 results for: gay
[ Nearby Entries ]
View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
gay [gey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
Ðadjective
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
5. homosexual.
6. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
Ðnoun
7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.
Ðadverb
8. in a gay manner.
[Origin: 1275Ð1325; 1950Ð55 for def. 5; ME gai < OF < Gmc; cf. OHG g?hi fast, sudden]

ÑRelated forms
gayness, noun

ÑSynonyms 1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.
ÑAntonyms 1. unhappy, mournful.
ÑUsage note In addition to its original and continuing senses of Òmerry, livelyÓ and Òbright or showy,Ó gay has had various senses dealing with sexual conduct since the 17th century. A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, a gay house a brothel. This sexual world included homosexuals too, and gay as an adjective meaning ÒhomosexualÓ goes back at least to the early 1900s. After World War II, as social attitudes toward sexuality began to change, gay was applied openly by homosexuals to themselves, first as an adjective and later as a noun. Today, the noun often designates only a male homosexual: gays and lesbians. The word has ceased to be slang and is not used disparagingly. Homosexual as a noun is sometimes used only in reference to a male.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Better yet...sue the fuck out of the school, the county and the state!

Dr. Love
03-23-2007, 09:54 AM
9. Lame or stupid

Hardrock69
03-23-2007, 12:50 PM

We haven't had any meaningful debates in here in over two years, and you know it.

So true. I wonder....when you will post anything meaningful?
:gulp:

Hardrock69
03-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Fucking hilarious, Dr. Love...
http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/here/sig.php

scamper
03-23-2007, 02:11 PM
This thread is gay

Nickdfresh
03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Just like the guy who started it! And the people that actually have to wear shirts so no one thinks them of being gay (since they apparently can't get girls, and this leads to confusion)...

stringfelowhawk
03-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Gotta agree with Shamrock here! I think that post pretty much expresses my opinion without leaving me to have to elaborate any further.

Good Job Homey!

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-23-2007, 07:56 PM
First Amendment. Bottom line. Google "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" if you don't believe me.

Satan
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
First Amendment. Bottom line. Google "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" if you don't believe me.

Well, the bong hits part sounds pretty good.....

Nickdfresh
03-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, I'd track down the article.

But Brianne provided a faulty link. Go figure...:)

Dr. Love
03-23-2007, 10:48 PM
yes ... YES ... enjoy my new signature images!!

Nickdfresh
03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Seriously funny shit Dr.Love...

BigBadBrian
03-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Well, I'd track down the article.

But Brianne provided a faulty link. Go figure...:)

Did not.

Operator error, obviously.

Nickdfresh
03-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Okay it works now, but I couldn't get it yesterday...

Nickdfresh
03-24-2007, 07:20 PM
So, what if your son told you he was gay? what would you do "BigBadBrian?"

Just wondering...

Angel
03-29-2007, 02:06 AM
I've been studying native american culture, and found it very interesting to learn that traditionally it was considered a gift to be considered gay, what the native community refers to as being a "two-spirited person".

"It is a lasting testament to the psychological sophistication of Native tribes that they recognized two-spirit people as being engines of creativity, change and innovation (much as they have been in other cultures and continue to be in ours) and co-operated in creating the sacred space in which such people could manifest. As Joe Medicine Crow, a Crow traditionalist, told Walter Williams, “We don’t waste people the way white society does. Every person has their gift.” "

http://www.androphile.org/preview/Culture/NativeAmerica/amerindian.htm

When I was in Tahiti many years ago, I learned the same is true of Polynesian culture:

"Historically, Polynesian gays have been a vital part of the soiciety. They were delegated important domestic roles in the family. For example, they often acted as caretakers for the young and elderly. Furthermore, they were relied upon to cook, clean and nurse the infirm. These responsibilities gave them a place in the community and resulted in their acceptance in Polynesian society."

http://www.polyutopia.com/about/art/3.htm

I guess it just goes to show that homophobia is just more crap brought on by fucking idiotic missionary type white men a long time ago...

DLRdelight!
03-29-2007, 02:45 AM

seriously what a bitch

BigBadBrian
03-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Angel
"It is a lasting testament to the psychological sophistication of Native tribes that they recognized two-spirit people as being engines of creativity, change and innovation (much as they have been in other cultures and continue to be in ours) and co-operated in creating the sacred space in which such people could manifest. As Joe Medicine Crow, a Crow traditionalist, told Walter Williams, “We don’t waste people the way white society does. Every person has their gift.” "

I guess gay Indians were in charge of Tipi decorating and landscaping the tribal area.

FORD
03-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I guess gay Indians were in charge of Tipi decorating and landscaping the tribal area.

Some of them were the spiritual leaders of their tribes. Kinda like Ted Haggard, I guess ;)

Angel
03-29-2007, 02:36 PM

Not at all.

"Two-spirited beings were revered as leaders, mediators, teachers, artists, seers, and spiritual guides. They were treated with the greatest respect, and held important spiritual and ceremonial responsibilities. Two-spirited people are once again emerging in their communities at the same time and in the same way that the drum, the pipe, the sweat, the medicines and other sacred aspects of community and cultural life are returning."

For people who are intelligently challenged, like BBB, this means that the shamans, medicine men, etc were two-spirited. To be a two-spirit was considered a gift from the creator.

Another reason why I feel that the whites that originally populated this land fucked up royally. I truly feel the world would be a much better place if instead of pushing christianity on first nations people, we should have adopted their ways. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the culture.

In Polynesian culture, however, the opposite is true, and gay men were relegated to household duties, and "masculine" gay men were frowned upon.

scamper
03-29-2007, 04:22 PM
I truly feel the world would be a much better place if instead of pushing christianity on first nations people, we should have adopted their ways.

Kind of like the Pawnee and the Sioux...

BigBadBrian
03-29-2007, 06:32 PM

For people who are intelligently challenged, like BBB, this means that the shamans, medicine men, etc were two-spirited. To be a two-spirit was considered a gift from the creator.

Which is why they were defeated and subdued by a dominant culture.

BigBadBrian
03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I truly feel the world would be a much better place if instead of pushing christianity on first nations people, we should have adopted their ways. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the culture.

Respect for their culture?

Yes, I do also.

Adopt their ways?

Huh uh.

You do the "Dances With Wolves" act all by yourself.

:cool:

Nickdfresh
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Which is why they were defeated and subdued by a dominant culture.

You mean through genocide, right?

hideyoursheep
03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Exactly, how many times have the members of the Lunatic Left here in the Frontline insulted someone by calling them a "fag."

Oh, I dunno? How many times?

Fag.

Seriously, I think it's hilarious that there are homos and heteros frightened by each others sexual orientation.

I won't partake, but what do I care if you do?

Just wash your hands before shaking mine, that's all I ask.

..And stop looking at my ass....

hideyoursheep
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
So, what if your son told you he was gay? what would you do "BigBadBrian?"

Just wondering...

He would probably attempt an exorcism...

Angel
03-30-2007, 02:10 AM
You mean through genocide, right?

No fucking kidding! Germ warfare at it's finest.

Plus good old fashioned lies. "Here, let's meet and sign this treaty. We'll toast with a glass of wine... we just won't tell you it's really poison."

Hatred sucks, BBB no matter who it's against... this thread however is about gays.

I really don't understand homophobia.

FORD
03-30-2007, 03:05 AM

Hatred sucks, BBB no matter who it's against... this thread however is about gays.

I really don't understand homophobia.

I think most homophobes really fear what's in themselves more than anything, the recent story of Ted Haggard being the perfect example. Here's a guy who was finally forced to admit that he had been gay all of his life, and he knew it, but he thought of it as a "dark side" which had to be controlled. And when he couldn't control it, he had to snort Drano while taking it up the ass from a prostitute.

And now he's "completely heterosexual"

Right. And I'm Ronald fucking Reagan.

I've seen enough people going through the "coming out" process to know that I would never ask anybody to remain in a closet. And I can't understand why anyone would want to. :confused:

hideyoursheep
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Hard to debate things like facts, Brian....Face it, your beloved party is out of favor with real americans who haven't seen the light until AFTER the '04 election. Sad but true. Your shitbag party can't do anyting right,and america is tired of subsidizing and supporting incompetence and greed.Have fun in '08.

BigBadBrian
04-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
Hard to debate things like facts, Brian....Face it, your beloved party is out of favor with real americans who haven't seen the light until AFTER the '04 election. Sad but true. Your shitbag party can't do anyting right,and america is tired of subsidizing and supporting incompetence and greed.Have fun in '08.

Thanks for the insight, Nick. :)

smithcreww
04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
i believe everyone has the freedom of choice in every aspect of life, if I agree or disagree.

Nickdfresh
04-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the insight, Nick. :)

Why are you thanking me?