PDA

View Full Version : Knut Implicated In The Death Of A Panda!

Viking
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Polar rival finds fame too much to bear

Polar rival finds fame too much to bearBy Simon Jeffery / World news 05:05pm

Just days after Knut the polar bear cub warmed even the most satirical of hearts, tragedy has struck Berlin zoo with the death of the panda Yan Yan.

A dead panda is a bad thing. But that's not all. There are accusations in the German press that Knut was in part responsible, with the disruption from the visitors who crowded the zoo at the weekend leading to the 22-year-old's untimely demise.

As Germany's Spiegel Online (in English) puts it:

Some 30,000 people crowded the zoo at the weekend, several times more than usual, and many who couldn't get a glimpse of Knut went over to check out Yan Yan.

Following the worldwide success of Knut, whose first public appearance was witnessed by about 300 journalists from around the world and broadcast live on CNN, the death of Yan Yan marks something of an emotional rollercoaster for the zoo.

A polar bear is born, a panda dies. It seems somehow emblematic of the relative cultural values of the two bears. As the Chinese panda breeding programme achieves greater success and global warming puts polar bears under greater threat, it's the Arctic mammal that is becoming the environmental icon.

While the birth of a panda used to be enough to make the newspapers, the bar is now higher - the Times last month featured a three-legged specimen who needs a prosthetic paw if she is ever to have sex again.

As for Knut and Yan Yan, Berlin Zoo sensibly denies the accusations. After all, how could Knut ever do anything wrong? :D

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2007/03/27/polar_rival_finds_fame_too_much_to_bear.html

Ally_Kat
03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Here's Knut resting from the feast:

http://x73.xanga.com/a51d520141730114031539/w81480975.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
yeah ...it's killer knut...

Viking
03-28-2007, 06:05 PM
And I'm coming for your pic-a-nic basket next, cameraman! :D
http://x73.xanga.com/a51d520141730114031539/w81480975.jpg

DrMaddVibe
03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Club him now!!!!

Ally_Kat
03-29-2007, 01:17 AM
haha, you inspired me Viking. Altho, I'm sure it would have been funnier if I put it in German

DavidLeeNatra
03-29-2007, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
haha, you inspired me Viking. Altho, I'm sure it would have been funnier if I put it in German

you speak any?

Ally_Kat
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
you speak any?

Unfortunately, no. I wanted to so bad because everyone on my dad's side and everyone in town did. My parents pushed Spanish saying it would be beneficial for my future, but I never quite picked that up. Learning and visiting is on my list of things to invest in.

Altho, I'm think it would have started off as Ich komme (kommen?) something something.

Anonymous
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Viking
While the birth of a panda used to be enough to make the newspapers, the bar is now higher - the Times last month featured a three-legged specimen who needs a prosthetic paw if she is ever to have sex again.

This is very interesting... hey, I've tried everything. Maybe what I need is a prosthetic paw too.

Cheers! :bottle:

Viking
03-29-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm trying to figure out how a paw is keeping that panda from getting laid. Hell, I could be down to nothing but a torso and a pecker, and I'd still find a way to dog it. :D