PDA

View Full Version : A Rock Opera MASTERPIECE!

Vinnie Velvet
04-04-2007, 12:12 PM
(disclaimer: V V was not high or drunk when he wrote this.
:D ).

http://www.kissfaq.com/albumcovers/cover_elder_small.jpg

YES!

Music From THE ELDER -- by KISS.

---------------------------------------

I my mind, this album is too easily dismissed as being very poor and so on.

Yes, as a "KISS" album, it fails, miserably. And that is where lies the problem. Not taken as a KISS album, it can be viewed in a better light.

I listened to this album many times and to me, its a MASTERPIECE of storytelling, combined with a rock opera soundtrack that smokes.

The basic plot of Music from "The Elder" involves the recruitment and training of a young hero (The Boy) by the Council of Elders who belong to the Order of the Rose, a mysterious group dedicated to combating evil. The Boy is guided by an elderly caretaker named Morpheus. The album's lyrics describe the boy's feelings during his journey and training, as he overcomes his early doubts to become confident and self-assured. The only spoken dialogue is at the end of the last track, "I." During the passage, Morpheus proclaims to the Elders that The Boy is ready to undertake his odyssey.

And yes, the odyssey BEGINS with the theatrical/orchestra sounds of "Fanfare" before we are introduced to the Paul Stanley helmed "Just a Boy" -- I never really liked this song in particular, however, taken into the context of the story, it works.

Which then leads to one of my favorites --- "Odyssey". Great song.

Other highlights include the Ace Frehley-led "Dark Light" which encompasses one of the greatest solos laid down by the Spaceman, the operatic, yet rocking, "The Oath" and the Frehley-Eric Carr instrumental "Escape from the Island".

To me, this album is one of the most forgotten gems in music.

Listen, and LET THE ODYSSEY BEGIN!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Single_hol_i1.jpg

Mr Badguy
04-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah!

"Mr Blackwell" isn`t that good but the rest of it is well worth it.

When I bought the remasteres CD they had changed the tracklisting around, my LP began with "The Oath" but the CD opens with "Fanfare/Just a buy", and the story seemed to make a lot more sense.

The brown cover as shit today as it always was.

Mr. Vengeance
04-05-2007, 07:58 PM
No, no. no...Sorry V V....

I love KISS, but I hate this album. It has so little to enjoy. The story is fucking lame, if you can even follow it, to make it worthwhile as a Rock Opera.

It's slow, boring, silly...ugh!

cMb
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I own every Kiss CD and I rarely listen to the Elder. It has 2 or 3 good tunes, but I mostly find it unlistenable.

The lyrics are corny as shit, Paul's falsetto vocals are just dreadful & the story is lame, if you can even make any sense of it. If I want art-rock, or prog-rock, I don't reach for my Kiss collection. Kiss was lucky to recover from this mistake.

It was an improvement from Unmasked, though.

V.V., if you weren't high, maybe you were having a flashback when you wrote this?;)

Terry
04-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I will agree that it is unfair in a way to comapre the Elder to the rest of the KISS stuff, since it was intentionally so different from the rest of it...

Suppose they deserve points for trying, but there just wasn't a need for an attempt at a concept album with Gene and the boys doing a half-assed Pink Floyd impression.

Tiki-Tom
04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
I think its a good listen for what it is, Kiss Tryin' too hard to be taken serious, musically. I agree, the story is awful and paul sings like a drag queen on a mission. That part aside, I still like it better (musically) than most of the 80's crap they unleashed on us later.

But then again, what do i know? I liked Unmasked also.

Tiki-Tom
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I also dig the 4 bonus songs on Killers from about the same time frame as the Elder.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00005RDCM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS500_.jpg

1. I'm A Legend Tonight
2. Down On Your Knees
3. Nowhere To Run
4. Partners In Crime

Great, somewhat rare Kiss thats worth a listen

cMb
04-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
I also dig the 4 bonus songs on Killers from about the same time frame as the Elder.

1. I'm A Legend Tonight
2. Down On Your Knees
3. Nowhere To Run
4. Partners In Crime

Great, somewhat rare Kiss thats worth a listen

These trax were recorded at about the same time as the Elder's follow-up, 'Creatures Of The Night'.