PDA

View Full Version : Why One Illegal Alien Is Worth Six Americans

ULTRAMAN VH
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Why One Illegal Alien Is Worth Six Americans
by Mac Johnson (more by this author)
Posted 04/03/2007 ET
Updated 04/03/2007 ET

Of all the questions that I get asked (via email and in interviews) regarding the chronic crisis of illegal immigration, the most frequent is, “why do our elected representatives feel so safe in opposing the will of the overwhelming majority of Americans on this issue?”

After all, it is pointed out, most polls show that Americans, regardless of party affiliation, oppose continued tolerance of immigration crime by a 2:1 margin or better. This means that politicians, fanatical bean counters when it comes to polling data, are risking the disapproval of a net 69 million Americans of voting age -- all in an attempt to curry favor with an estimated 12 million illegal aliens and their supporters. How is this possible, especially since not one illegal alien can vote legally? Why do politicians seem to think that the opinion of one illegal alien is worth that of six Americans?

There are several reasons. One is that illegal labor is the basis of a very profitable underground economy. The corrupt corporations and individuals that make money by undercutting the wages of Americans have bought quite a bit of influence with their illegal profits. But money goes only so far, even in politics. The donations of Tyson Foods and its ilk cannot alone explain the confident disregard in which most politicians hold for their own constituents on this issue.

Other contributing factors include the sense of safety provided to politicians by the mainstream media’s ideological filtering of any news regarding immigration criminals, and their desire to win support from hyphenated Americans that believe their loyalty is owed to their racial group rather than to their countrymen. But again, these factors are not strong enough alone, or even in combination, to successfully explain politicians’ calculated defiance without some larger and more significant factor added to the equation.

This larger factor is that politicians understand that it does not matter what Americans think, it only matters how they vote. Americans may complain about illegal immigration, but they base their votes on other issues. War, taxes, education, minimum wage laws, abortion, judicial nominees, health care, subsidy and other issues all combine to trump any consensus on immigration. When voters are offered ballot initiatives on fighting immigration crime, these single-issue resolutions pass overwhelmingly. But when voters are offered a standard election between two candidates, one of whom is tough on immigration issues and the other of whom is a prostitute on immigration issues, most voters choose the candidate promising more free stuff.

Contrast this behavior to that of the proponents of open borders. If you’re an “entrepreneur” whose whole business model is built around sweatshop labor, you vote based on immigration policies. If you’re a member of a racist identity group, such as La Raza, you vote on immigration policy. And if you’re an illegal alien hoping for amnesty and citizenship, you will promise your future voting power to anyone that thinks your way on just one issue: immigration, particularly your illegal immigration.

Politicians understand that it matters what you believe, but it matters even more how passionately you believe it.

Until a substantial fraction of the anti-open-borders electorate votes based in large part upon a politician’s actions on illegal immigration, the political math will remain that one illegal alien cancels out six distracted Americans. It is this math that has led to a new amnesty bill (Flake/Gutierrez) being introduced into Congress last week. Many politicians, including the President, believe they can pass the amnesty now and by the time the 2008 election finally gets here, you’ll be so worried about Hilllary-care, or Iran, or a recession, or gas prices, that you’ll forget how mad you were when they gave away the country before your stunned eyes.

The number of Americans that would need to organize and vote around the issue would not need to be large. Consider what the National Rifle Association has been able to accomplish politically with a dedicated membership of small size, compared to the electorate as a whole. While the NRA today has 4.3 million members, this is still equivalent to only about 2% of the voting age population and less than 7% of gun owners. This membership is also at a near peak, having grown considerably as the association has become increasingly successful in organizing and voicing the concerns of gun owners. The NRA became a potent political force with less than a million members.

It was able to do so because a few hundred thousand dedicated people, when organized and sharing information so as to concentrate their resources at key moments and pressure points, wield much more influence than when they are scattered and uninformed. What the opponents of immigration corruption need is increased formal organization. We need an NRA for immigration issues.

Imagine how different the debate would be if an “NIA” representative could walk into a congressman’s office and say: We have 1,000,000 members that believe very deeply that amnesty is morally wrong and counter-productive. There are over 2500 members in your district alone and they run the gamut from Republicans to Independents to Democrats. Every election, they receive a report card on your voting record as well as special mailings and alerts regarding important bills. We have tens of millions of dollars in our political action committee and we are prepared to spend most of it in a few dozen critical races if we have to. Can we please have a moment of your time to discuss your position on this issue?

One million members would represent less than seven tenths of 1% of the voting age population that is opposed to illegal immigration. It’s just a matter of getting them together.

There are numerous organizations that have grown up around the illegal immigration issue. The last two years have been a period of rapid growth for many of them as the problem has become increasingly serious. No one group is the equivalent of the NRA politically and organizationally, but together they are a good start to organizing those voters that wish to keep America American. Several of the more prominent ones are listed below.

If you care about the damage done to our country by corrupt immigration and labor practices, you need to connect with a group, get on their mailing list, and donate. And nothing says you can’t join more than one. Until enough people actually act on their frustration, the political math will remain skewed.

Potential Rallying Points:

Team America PAC: A political action committee founded by Rep. Tom Tancredo, Team America has the notable advantage of being run by a trustworthy congressional insider. The committee collects donations from individuals and funnels them toward candidates that support immigration enforcement and border security.

Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR): FAIR is a national grassroots organization that “seeks to improve border security, to stop illegal immigration, and to promote immigration levels consistent with the national interest—more traditional rates of about 300,000 a year.” FAIR frequently testifies before Congress and issues the best email alerts on pending legislation that I know.

Numbers USA: A public policy institute focused on the economic, environmental, and quality of life issues surrounding unlimited immigration.

The Center for Immigration Studies: The “nation's only think tank devoted exclusively to research and policy analysis of the economic, social, demographic, fiscal, and other impacts of immigration on the United States.” A fantastic source of information and research.

Mr. Johnson, a writer and medical researcher in Cambridge, MA., is a regular contributor to Human Events. His column generally appears on Tuesdays. Archives and additional material can be found at www.macjohnson.com.

humaneventsonline.com

BigBadBrian
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't know about you all, but I'll pay more fucking money for a head of lettuce if it's picked by LEGAL labor.

:gun:

hearboutitlater
04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Alright, you pay $84 for a head of lettuce to cover the legal picker's 401k, health insurance, fica, and meet their cost of living and i'll be the 2/$1 lettuce my local grocer's usually puts on... :D

knuckleboner
04-05-2007, 11:27 AM
but it ain't just lettuce: it's the busboys at restaurants, it's the orderlies at hospitals, it's the maids at hotels, it's the construction workers building our houses...

there are a lot of implications.

mind you, i am NOT arguing for ignoring illegal immigration. but it's pretty clear that we have plenty of jobs here. the question is getting a good, workable LEGAL immigration policy and then sticking to it and enforcing it.

BigBadBrian
04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
the question is getting a good, workable LEGAL immigration policy and then sticking to it and enforcing it.

Hey, that's all I'm saying. I don't give a damn which party comes up with the plan either.

:)

FORD
04-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Alrighty then...... why don't we see where the current candidates for President stand on the issue. Let's start with Senator Obama...........

Floor Statement of Senator Barack Obama on Immigration Reform
Monday, April 3, 2006

Mr. President, I come to the floor today to enter the debate on comprehensive immigration reform. It is a debate that will touch on the basic questions of morality, the law, and what it means to be an American.

I know that this debate evokes strong passions on all sides. The recent peaceful but passionate protests that we saw all across the country--500,000 in Los Angeles and 100,000 in my hometown of Chicago--are a testament to this fact, as are the concerns of millions of Americans about the security of our borders.

But I believe we can work together to pass immigration reform in a way that unites the people in this country, not in a way that divides us by playing on our worst instincts and fears.

Like millions of Americans, the immigrant story is also my story. My father came here from Kenya, and I represent a State where vibrant immigrant communities ranging from Mexican to Polish to Irish enrich our cities and neighborhoods. So I understand the allure of freedom and opportunity that fuels the dream of a life in the United States. But I also understand the need to fix a broken system.

When Congress last addressed this issue comprehensively in 1986, there were approximately 4 million illegal immigrants living in the United States. That number had grown substantially when Congress again addressed the issue in 1996. Today, it is estimated that there are more than 11 million undocumented aliens living in our country.

The American people are a welcoming and generous people. But those who enter our country illegally, and those who employ them, disrespect the rule of law. And because we live in an age where terrorists are challenging our borders, we simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, and unchecked. Americans are right to demand better border security and better enforcement of the immigration laws.

The bill the Judiciary Committee has passed would clearly strengthen enforcement. I will repeat that, because those arguing against the Judiciary Committee bill contrast that bill with a strong enforcement bill. The bill the Judiciary Committee passed clearly strengthens enforcement.

To begin with, the agencies charged with border security would receive new technology, new facilities, and more people to stop, process, and deport illegal immigrants.
But while security might start at our borders, it doesn't end there. Millions of undocumented immigrants live and work here without our knowing their identity or their background. We need to strike a workable bargain with them. They have to acknowledge that breaking our immigration laws was wrong. They must pay a penalty, and abide by all of our laws going forward. They must earn the right to stay over a 6-year period, and then they must wait another 5 years as legal permanent residents before they become citizens.

But in exchange for accepting those penalties, we must allow undocumented immigrants to come out of the shadows and step on a path toward full participation in our society. In fact, I will not support any bill that does not provide this earned path to citizenship for the undocumented population--not just for humanitarian reasons; not just because these people, having broken the law, did so for the best of motives, to try and provide a better life for their children and their grandchildren; but also because this is the only practical way we can get a handle on the population that is within our borders right now.

To keep from having to go through this difficult process again in the future, we must also replace the flow of undocumented immigrants coming to work here with a new flow of guestworkers. Illegal immigration is bad for illegal immigrants and bad for the workers against whom they compete.

Replacing the flood of illegals with a regulated stream of legal immigrants who enter the United States after background checks and who are provided labor rights would enhance our security, raise wages, and improve working conditions for all Americans.

But I fully appreciate that we cannot create a new guestworker program without making it as close to impossible as we can for illegal workers to find employment. We do not need new guestworkers plus future undocumented immigrants. We need guestworkers instead of undocumented immigrants.

Toward that end, American employers need to take responsibility. Too often illegal immigrants are lured here with a promise of a job, only to receive unconscionably low wages. In the interest of cheap labor, unscrupulous employers look the other way when employees provide fraudulent U.S. citizenship documents. Some actually call and place orders for undocumented workers because they don't want to pay minimum wages to American workers in surrounding communities. These acts hurt both American workers and immigrants whose sole aim is to work hard and get ahead. That is why we need a simple, foolproof, and mandatory mechanism for all employers to check the legal status of new hires. Such a mechanism is in the Judiciary Committee bill.

And before any guestworker is hired, the job must be made available to Americans at a decent wage with benefits. Employers then need to show that there are no Americans to take these jobs. I am not willing to take it on faith that there are jobs that Americans will not take. There has to be a showing. If this guestworker program is to succeed, it must be properly calibrated to make certain that these are jobs that cannot be filled by Americans, or that the guestworkers provide particular skills we can't find in this country.

I know that dealing with the undocumented population is difficult, for practical and political reasons. But we simply cannot claim to have dealt with the problems of illegal immigration if we ignore the illegal resident population or pretend they will leave voluntarily. Some of the proposed ideas in Congress provide a temporary legal status and call for deportation, but fail to answer how the government would deport 11 million people. I don't know how it would be done. I don't know how we would line up all the buses and trains and airplanes and send 11 million people back to their countries of origin. I don't know why it is that we expect they would voluntarily leave after having taken the risk of coming to this country without proper documentation.

I don't know many police officers across the country who would go along with the bill that came out of the House, a bill that would, if enacted, charge undocumented immigrants with felonies, and arrest priests who are providing meals to hungry immigrants, or people who are running shelters for women who have been subject to domestic abuse. I cannot imagine that we would be serious about making illegal immigrants into felons, and going after those who would aid such persons.

That approach is not serious. That is symbolism, that is demagoguery. It is important that if we are going to deal with this problem, we deal with it in a practical, commonsense way. If temporary legal status is granted but the policy says these immigrants are never good enough to become Americans, then the policy that makes little sense.

I believe successful, comprehensive immigration reform can be achieved by building on the work of the Judiciary Committee. The Judiciary Committee bill combines some of the strongest elements of Senator Hagel's border security proposals with the realistic workplace and earned-citizenship program proposed by Senators McCain and Kennedy.

Mr. President, I will come to the floor over the next week to offer some amendments of my own, and to support amendments my colleagues will offer. I will also come to the floor to argue against amendments that contradict our tradition as a nation of immigrants and as a nation of laws.

As FDR reminded the Nation at the 50th anniversary of the dedication of the Statue of Liberty, those who landed at Ellis Island ``were the men and women who had the supreme courage to strike out for themselves, to abandon language and relatives, to start at the bottom without influence, without money, and without knowledge of life in a very young civilization.''

It behooves us to remember that not every single immigrant who came into the United States through Ellis Island had proper documentation. Not every one of our grandparents or great-grandparents would have necessarily qualified for legal immigration. But they came here in search of a dream, in search of hope. Americans understand that, and they are willing to give an opportunity to those who are already here, as long as we get serious about making sure that our borders actually mean something.

Today's immigrants seek to follow in the same tradition of immigration that has built this country. We do ourselves and them a disservice if we do not recognize the contributions of these individuals. And we fail to protect our Nation if we do not regain control over our immigration system immediately.

Link (http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060403-floor_statement_of_senator_barack_obama_on_immigra tion_reform/index.html)

knuckleboner
04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Hey, that's all I'm saying. I don't give a damn which party comes up with the plan either.

yeah, i know. i fault both parties on this one.

and surprisingly, on this issue, i give the most credit to bush.

Nickdfresh
04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Um Brian, seriously, have you been to Northern VA recently?

I mean everything, virtually EVERYTHING! is run by immigrants.

Who is going to do those jobs at the Wendy's drive-thru?

Nickdfresh
04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
Why One Illegal Alien Is Worth Six Americans
by Mac Johnson (more by this author)
Posted 04/03/2007 ET
Updated 04/03/2007 ET

Of all the questions that I get asked (via email and in interviews) regarding the chronic crisis of illegal immigration, the most frequent is, “why do our elected representatives feel so safe in opposing the will of the overwhelming majority of Americans on this issue?”

You see, this is the bullshit that creeps in. There is no "vast majority" that want to lynch immigrants. Most are in favor of some sort of guest worker program.

I am, but I also favor strict restrictions on industries employing them as well..

sadaist
04-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by hearboutitlater
Alright, you pay $84 for a head of lettuce to cover the legal picker's 401k, health insurance, fica, and meet their cost of living and i'll be the 2/$1 lettuce my local grocer's usually puts on... :D

Idiot. A $1 head of lettuce would rise to about $1.07. A $5 bag of tomato's would go up to about $5.35. Keep in mind the millions of heads of lettuce that are sold every week. It doesn't take too much of a price hike to cover the extra costs of legal workers. Most of the cost of these items are going to legal workers already. The delivery drivers, grocery clerks, stores, etc... Do your homework before you spout off.

sadaist
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Teenagers, dropouts, parolees, learning disabled, senior citizens supplementing their income...

Nickdfresh
04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Teenagers, dropouts, parolees, learning disabled, senior citizens supplementing their income...

There are nowhere near enough.

FORD
04-05-2007, 06:52 PM

....Chimpy, after he's thrown out of office.....

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-05-2007, 06:55 PM

I thought that was Brian's job? No wonder he feels threatened.

knuckleboner
04-05-2007, 11:03 PM

nick's right.

we have like a 2% unemployment rate in northern virginia. seriously, if we somehow deported all of the illegal immigrants tomorrow, our inflation would go through the roof.

(it's not my argument to keep slacking on illegal immigration; but practically, we can't lose all of those workers at once and not have problems, economically.)

ULTRAMAN VH
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
You see, this is the bullshit that creeps in. There is no "vast majority" that want to lynch immigrants. Most are in favor of some sort of guest worker program.

I am, but I also favor strict restrictions on industries employing them as well..

There was nothing in that paragraph that stated anything about lynching illegals. He stated that an overwhelming portion of legal tax paying citizens are fed up with picking up the tab for illegals who are coming to this country in droves, not paying taxes, committing crimes, forming gangs, enlarging the illegal drug trade, draining the health care system and not assimilating to American culture. And that is just a short list of the problems Illegal Aliens are causing.

FORD
04-06-2007, 02:54 PM
So what's your solution, Ultradouche?

And spare me the right wing fantasy about building a Berlin wall across the southern border and rounding up 12 million people, because we all know that isn't happening.

Nickdfresh
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
There was nothing in that paragraph that stated anything about lynching illegals. He stated that an overwhelming portion of legal tax paying citizens are fed up with picking up the tab for illegals who are coming to this country in droves, not paying taxes, committing crimes, forming gangs, enlarging the illegal drug trade, draining the health care system and not assimilating to American culture. And that is just a short list of the problems Illegal Aliens are causing.

But many ARE paying taxes! And the economic benefits, rightly or wrongly, far outweigh whatever drain on social services there is...

And look at the statistics. What you are saying is completely racist bullshit! Just like BigDumbBrian's illegal immigrant drunk drivers are worse than white American drunk drivers. I mean, is it really worse if your kids are killed by a beaner than by white trash, or a yuppie cunt?

And have you ever been to the Southwest? IT IS Mexican/Spanish culture already! There are whole tracks of American families of Mexican or Spanish decent whose first language is Spanish that go way back. A large segment of people that fought at the Alamo were Mexican "Texicanos."

And immigrants are far form the cause of the healthcare crisis emerging in this country...

Very little crime is attributed to illegals, and most gang members are citizens...

ULTRAMAN VH
04-06-2007, 03:03 PM
But many ARE paying taxes! And the economic benefits, rightly or wrongly, far outweigh whatever drain on social services there is...

And look at the statistics. What you are saying is completely racist bullshit! Just like BigDumbBrian's illegal immigrant drunk drivers are worse than white American drunk drivers. I mean, is it really worse if your kids are killed by a beaner than by white trash, or a yuppie cunt?

And have you ever been to the Southwest? IT IS Mexican/Spanish culture already! There are whole tracks of American families of Mexican or Spanish decent whose first language is Spanish that go way back. A large segment of people that fought at the Alamo were Mexican "Texicanos."

And immigrants are far form the cause of the healthcare crisis emerging in this country...

Very little crime is attributed to illegals, and most gang members are citizens...

Damn, you are predictable. I knew you would throw the racist card in there.

FORD
04-06-2007, 03:10 PM

When you have skinheads showing up with Nazi and Confederate flags to "defend the border", I'd say the racist card is already in play.

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/Minutemen%20rally-793875.jpg
SIEG HEIL!!

ULTRAMAN VH
04-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So what's your solution, Ultradouche?

And spare me the right wing fantasy about building a Berlin wall across the southern border and rounding up 12 million people, because we all know that isn't happening.

At this point, I don't see a solution. George Bush and the entire political regime that is running this country into the ground have made it clear that even in a time of war are borders will remain wide open. That includes the Dumbocrats. They support the illegal invasion also.

Nickdfresh
04-06-2007, 03:14 PM

What about the "facts card?" DO you have any reliable, unbiased statistics to back up the scapegoating crap you're laying on the immigrants?

Or do you just get the partisan spin crap from Towncunt.com?

hearboutitlater
04-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by sadist
Idiot. A $1 head of lettuce would rise to about $1.07. A $5 bag of tomato's would go up to about $5.35. Keep in mind the millions of heads of lettuce that are sold every week. It doesn't take too much of a price hike to cover the extra costs of legal workers. Most of the cost of these items are going to legal workers already. The delivery drivers, grocery clerks, stores, etc... Do your homework before you spout off.

Dude....that was sarcasm.... or maybe the big flashy smile didn't tip you off... and anyway, why getting so bent out of shape? This site isnt about having a John Mclaughlin group type of discussion or a college paper where we have to go out and find facts, back them up, do apa style, have 1" margins around the post, and make sure references are listed to back up support. And as for illegal immigration, what can be done? We can't pack them up and send them all back to their respective countries since it would be one of the largest human rights violation. The reason that illegal immigration even exists is because of us :eek: That's right, you, me, and everyone else out there in the US are the cause of this. Why? We like to buy cheap shit. Why else is Walmart the number one retailer in the US? We will drive 2+ miles, spending probably $1+ of gas in the driving, haul our collective obese hides out of our car to save 3 cents on that colgate tube of toothpaste. Maybe you are willing to pay a few cents more, but the majority of America certainly isn't. As a result, how do we get cheap stuff? We get cheap labor by hiring people that are willing to work cheaper than we do. In fact, this guy (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=walmart) makes a better argument than I do. Still dont believe me? Just look at the trade defecit. We buy more crap from other countries than we sell to other people. In the end, we are fighting market forces. One of the major reasons why there is immigration of anykind is economics. If I see more opportunities in one place, I will risk all to go there and make it. You have to kinda' applaud these guys for risking, jail, their families and themselves to make an earning that none of us would EVER take. So before YOU go spouting off your mouth, you do your own homework and realize this is mainly a I-speak-my-opinions-even-if-they-are-right-or-wrong-and-I-am-a-big-fan-of-DLR-site. I didnt come here to make a full dissertation on the American impact on its economics, ethics, and laws discussion...it was just a comment, I leave it, and I go on to read that post about fifth grades having sex.... :D
Maybe all of this crap I typed means nothing and you got tired half way*i know i did* And maybe alot of people think this is happening: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/immigrant.gif (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/immigrant.gif)
Doesnt mean anything, just thought it was funny... and if people are too lazy to click on the link....

Big Train
04-08-2007, 12:23 AM
You know why they are so "brazen"? It's because they know if we just keep pissing up a rope year after year, it becomes a done deal and they become legal voters. How? The babies.

Do the math yourself. Those born in the years in and around the Reagan amensty in 86 are now in their 20's. They were born on American soil, thus legal from the drop. Now dad is grandpa. You can throw an old man who has been here so long. You can but you look like an asshole to the legal voter, the kid.

The longer nothing happens, no decision has been made, the more "dialogue" that needs to happen, the more it all becomes a moot point. That's why they don't give a fuck what you think.

The scariest proposition you could make would be to change that fundamental understanding. In exchange for amnesty of this crop, no baby from a foreign national will be considered an American.

Which goes beyond Mexicans and affects Asian immigrants much worse. Stop the incentive and back doors and it shuts down a lot of ways people claw into the country.