PDA

View Full Version : Cheney Says Pentagon Full of Shit About al-Qaeda/Iraq Links

blueturk
04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Despite the fact that the Pentagon has even slammed a special office in it's own building for bad intel, Uncle Dick doesn't want to hear it. Dammit! Bush and Cheney got what they wanted - we invaded Iraq. Isn't that good enough? Does Cheney have to keep fucking lying?

Cheney still insists al-Qa'ida had links with Iraq, despite evidence

Saturday, April 07, 2007
By Rupert Cornwell in Washington

Vice-President Dick Cheney continues to insist that al-Qa'ida had close ties with Iraq before the 2003 US-led invasion, despite the publication of further evidence, including the interrogation of Saddam Hussein, confirming the consensus to the contrary of US intelligence.

Mr Cheney's assertions came as Congress released the full declassified version of a Pentagon report that sharply criticises a special office in its own building for writing intelligence reports alleging such contacts.

Those claims flatly contradicted the considered judgement of other US agencies - including the CIA and the Defence Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon's official in-house intelligence unit - that no such links existed.

The new report, whose broad conclusions were released earlier this year, gives the clearest picture yet of how Bush administration hawks manipulated intelligence to advance the case that Saddam was working with al-Qa'ida.

Before the invasion, President Bush and Mr Cheney fostered that impression in speech after speech - so successfully that at one point, polls showed, two-thirds of Americans believed the Iraqi dictator had a hand in the attacks of 11 September.

The report says that Saddam himself, as well as the former Iraqi foreign minister Tariq Aziz and the former intelligence chief Mani al-Rashid al-Tikriti, all confirmed under questioning that they had no significant pre-war dealings with the organisation headed by Osama bin Laden.

The under fire Pentagon office was run by Douglas Feith, anadvocate of the invasion. The office sent its reports to Mr Cheney and his then chief-of-staff Lewis Libby - who was convicted last month of perjury and obstruction of justice in a case connected to pre-war intelligence. Mr Feith has also been discredited, and resigned from the Pentagon in mid-2005.

Interviewed by the conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, Mr Cheney said that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the al-Qa'ida commander killed in 2006, was active in Iraq well before 2003. "He took up residence [in Baghdad] before we ever launched into Iraq, organised the al-Qa'ida operations inside Iraq before we even arrived on the scene."

Another key element in the case for Iraq/al-Qa'ida links was an alleged meeting in Prague in mid-2001 between an Iraqi official and Mohammed Atta, leader of the September hijackers. The CIA discounted the idea, producing evidence that Atta could not have been in Prague. In 2002 Mr Feith's office wrote that the CIA's conclusions "ought to be ignored." In 2004, the report of the 9/11 Commission - the most authoritative study of the attacks - was also deeply skeptical of any links.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/article2430534.ece

ODShowtime
04-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah I read this yesterday too.

I wouldn't get so upset about this nonsense if it hadn't cost so many innocent lives AND SO MANY TAX DOLLARS!

I'm just sick and tired of the lies and the supporters who believe them.

blueturk
04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I just can't comprehend how anybody with an IQ higher than a houseplant could still support these corrupt bastards. Although most of the sheep who try to get on my shit about my "Worst President Ever" bumpersticker don't seem like they would be a great mental challenge for the average houseplant. I get idiots telling me I should thank Dubya that the terrists arent over here killing us (in between spitting their tobacco out), or telling me what a great Christian Bush is.....

"The solution to Iraq -- an Iraq that can govern itself, sustain itself and defend itself -- is more than a military mission. Precisely the reason why I sent more troops into Baghdad." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 3, 2007

Nickdfresh
04-07-2007, 02:33 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/BagdhadDick.jpg

Hardrock69
04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Here is further evidence of the fabrication of intel linking Saddamite and Al-Quaeda...this time from Downing Street:

Downing Street Memo Redux: DoD Provides New Evidence of Bush ‘Fixing’ Pre-War Intel
Posted by Jon Ponder | Apr. 6, 2007, 11:53 am

There is a new report out from the inspector general at the Dept. of Defense that provides clear evidence that senior Bush officials at DoD “fixed” the pre-war intelligence on Iraq to suit their policy of fictitiously connecting Saddam Hussein to al Qaeda’s attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001, in order to motivate the public to go to war against Iraq.
A normal president would be held accountable if proof were offered from within his own government that his team deliberately falsified intelligence in order to trick the country into going to war. And yet this revelation yesterday is barely even news.

In particular, the IG’s report includes a January 2002 memo from Paul Wolfowitz, the neocon architect of the war who was then deputy defense secretary, written to Douglas Feith, DoD’s number three official:

“We don’t seem to be making much progress pulling together intelligence on links between Iraq and Al Qaeda,” Wolfowitz wrote…

Using Pentagon jargon for the secretary of Defense, Donald H. Rumsfeld, he added: “We owe SecDef some analysis of this subject. Please give me a recommendation on how best to proceed. Appreciate the short turn-around.”

…The memo marked the beginnings of what would become a controversial yearlong Pentagon project supervised by Feith to convince the most senior members of the Bush administration that Hussein and Al Qaeda were linked — a conclusion that was hotly disputed by U.S. intelligence agencies at the time and has been discredited in the years since.

What this brings to mind, of course, is a key section of the Downing Street Memo:

[Unnamed British official “C”] reported on his recent talks in Washington. There was a perceptible shift in attitude. Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy. The NSC had no patience with the UN route, and no enthusiasm for publishing material on the Iraqi regime’s record. There was little discussion in Washington of the aftermath after military action.

You recall that the “memo” was actually the minutes of a meeting of top officials in Tony Blair’s government in July 2002 — seven months into the “yearlong project” to link Saddam and 9/11.

When the memo was leaked in May 2005, the mainstream media ignored it for weeks. As I recall it, its release dd not make the front page of the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, the Washington Post or any major U.S. daily paper. When the memo finally made it into the news, the Gang of 500 dismissed it, as did rightwingers like comedian Rush Limbaugh:

I purposely haven’t talked about this Downing Street memo much because, frankly, A, it didn’t interest me. And, you know, if it doesn’t interest me I’m not going to talk about it. And the reason it didn’t interest me is because it was just another one of these ginned up things by the libs…

Wrong again, Rush. And yet, while it’s nice to (once again) get proof of Bush’s skulllduggery, this revelation (once again) amounts to little more than cold comfort.

A normal president would be held accountable if proof were offered from within his own government that his team deliberately falsified intelligence in order to trick the country into going to war. And yet this revelation yesterday is barely even news.

http://www.pensitoreview.com/2007/04/06/downing-street-memo-redux-dod-provides-new-evidence-of-bush-fixing-pre-war-intel/

BigBadBrian
04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

I'm just sick and tired of the lies and the supporters who believe them.

Then become a conservative!!!

FORD
04-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

.....and turn your brain to absolute mush, so you can no longer recognize the lies.

Nickdfresh
04-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by FORD
.....and turn your brain to absolute mush, so you can no longer recognize the lies.

Brian's brain was mush to begin with...

ODShowtime
04-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

The people you support are NOT conservative. I grow tired of you bringing your rush limbaugh vocabulary words of the day in here before you fully understand them.

BigBadBrian
04-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
The people you support are NOT conservative. I grow tired of you bringing your rush limbaugh vocabulary words of the day in here before you fully understand them.

OD, please excuse yourself from our little dialogue here, OK?

You're in way over your head...as usual.

:cool:

blueturk
04-10-2007, 05:10 PM
OK BBB, what do YOU think? Do you think Uncle Dick is right? Just curious.....