PDA

View Full Version : Have ya heard about Live Earth?

Ellyllions
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=257904&GT1=7702

Live Earth Concert Lineups Revealed
Apr 10, 10:09 AM EST

The Associated Press

LONDON -- Live Earth concerts will be held July 7 in cities around the world, including London, aimed at raising climate change awareness.

Madonna, the Beastie Boys and Black Eyed Peas will headline the concert at Wembley stadium in London. They will be joined by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Keane, Foo Fighters and others.

Headliners for the U.S. concert at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., include Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band, Kanye West, Rihanna, John Mayer, Smashing Pumpkins and Fall Out Boy, it was announced Tuesday.

Other shows will take place in Shanghai, China; Johannesburg, South Africa; Sydney, Australia; Tokyo; and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Organizers have also promised an event in Antarctica.

The concerts mark the start of a new campaign called Save Our Selves, The Campaign for a Climate in Crisis.

"This monster lineup will ensure Live Earth meets our goal of bringing together people from around the world to combat the climate crisis," Live Earth Founder and Executive Producer Kevin Wall said in a statement Tuesday. "Musicians who have answered our call span multiple genres and generations."

The concerts will be broadcast in the U.S. by General Electric Co.'s NBC network and on more than 120 networks around the world, and streamed live online.

Promoters hope the concerts will reach an audience of 2 billion people. Proceeds will create a foundation to combat climate change led by The Alliance for Climate Protection, which is chaired by former Vice President Al Gore.

http://liveearth.msn.com/USPR410

http://liveearth.msn.com/UKPR410

FORD
04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I hope President Gore announces his re-election campaign at this event, so an audience of BILLIONS can cheer and let Hillary know her bullshit is over. :)

I also hope they get some more bands on board. Sting's always involved in these kind of shows, so the Police should put in an appearance. Genesis was supposed to be involved, and since Peter Gabriel is at as many benefit concerts as Sting, you might even see the original 5 man lineup of Genesis. Heard rumors the Stones might show up. Rush is touring this year, give 'em a call eh?

And has anyone called Bono or The Boss yet??

binnie
04-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Another celeb do-good fest?

Fuck me: how is this going to help anyone?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I hope President Gore announces his re-election campaign at this event, so an audience of BILLIONS can cheer and let Hillary know her bullshit is over. :)

I also hope they get some more bands on board. Sting's always involved in these kind of shows, so the Police should put in an appearance. Genesis was supposed to be involved, and since Peter Gabriel is at as many benefit concerts as Sting, you might even see the original 5 man lineup of Genesis. Heard rumors the Stones might show up. Rush is touring this year, give 'em a call eh?

And has anyone called Bono or The Boss yet??

The Police are appearing in NJ. Bruce probably will seeing as its NJ (I just hope its with Steve Van Zandt on guitar).

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 07:46 AM
So far, pretty much sucks (with the possible exceptions of John Mayer and the Foo Fighters).

Hopefully they'll add some good uns. Roger Waters recently said he'd like to play with Floyd at a Live 8-type thing again, so maybe they'll do it again (all depends on Gilmour).

The problem is, most new bands are dull. They may have some good tunes, but they don't know how to entertain people.

bueno bob
04-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Well, I'm not especially interested so far...depends who all gets confirmed to play, I guess...

Ellyllions
04-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Live on stage in London will be:
Beastie Boys
Black Eyed Peas
Bloc Party
Corinne Bailey Rae
Damien Rice
David Gray
Duran Duran
Foo Fighters
Genesis
James Blunt
John Legend
Keane
Madonna
Paolo Nutini
Razorlight
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Snow Patrol
Additional performers will be announced at a future date.

The U.S. show will feature live on stage:
Kanye West
AFI
Kelly Clarkson
Akon
KT Tunstall
Alicia Keys
Ludacris
Bon Jovi
Sheryl Crow
Melissa Etheridge
Dave Matthews Band
Rihanna
Fall Out Boy
Roger Waters
Smashing Pumpkins
John Mayer
The Police

Firstly, why do they feel the need to say "Live" on stage? Yeah, satellite thingys an' all but there is no "via Satellite" option on either of the pages....LOL is there another way to appear on stage?

"Lifesize Cardboard stand-up appearances will be:" ? Is the word "live" necessary?

This show doesn't appeal to me at all other than The Police because Genesis without Peter Gabriel is just "The Phil Collins band". And John Mayer? Well, if he'd play guitar rock the whole set I'd be interested cause he's a hell of a Stevie Ray Vaughan "sound-a-like". But there's something phenomenally creepy about his love songs. *shudder followed with small gag*

binnie
04-11-2007, 08:28 AM
The Beastie Boys could be fun, as could the RHCPs, but Corine Bailey Gay?

No thanks.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 08:28 AM
OK , so they have the big people who, in general, suck, but will bring in interest from the kids (myself excluded), so now its time to bring in the god people who will actually make an impact on the day.

Call me what you want for saying this, but I'd put Michael Jackson on there. He could do with a showstopping performance in front of an international audience to show that he can still do it and he knows how to entertain an audience.

Ellyllions
04-11-2007, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't go to Kanye West's yard sale.

binnie
04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Michale Jackson would be a good idea, but do you reckon he can still do it?

When was the last time he toured?

Ellyllions
04-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Michael's only problem would be that he would "expect certain treatment" and this ain't the crowd of celebs that would appreciate that. Most of these performers are pretty "hippy-crowd" free-love type folk.

bueno bob
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Michael Jackson's too busy constructing 100 foot tall laser shooting robots of himself in Las Vegas that will wander the Nevada desert...he can't be bothered with doing something like music...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Michale Jackson would be a good idea, but do you reckon he can still do it?

When was the last time he toured?

His last tour was 1996-1997, but he did 2 shows in New York in 2001 (one of them was actually September 10th 2001. In New York.)

I remember when he was in the UK last November for the World Music Awards. My ALAN, the press are really oot to get him. They all said he was performing, which hadn't even been discussed. Turned oot to be Chris Brown doing a tribute. So, MJ apparently decided at the last minute to just singa bit so as not to fuly disappoint fans who had traveled from all over the world to see him, so he sang a few lines of "We Are The World" with the choir who were booked for the finale. He had no monitors (in fact he was using the same mic from his speech), did no vocal warm ups, and couldn't hear anything except for everybody in the room screaming at the top of their voices (seriously, an incredible reaction, particulary considering the events of the past few years), and so, naturally, he didn't sing as well as he could have had he been properly equiped (considering he's nearly 50, he needs all that stuff). The press the next day said he was terrible, he's finally lost it, let's all write him off again etc. Worse than that, they claimed he was booed off stage, which is utter bollocks. I have seen just aboot every bit of fotage from the segment, as recorded both pro and on mobile phones, and not once have I heard anyone booing, just screaming and crying (you've seen how people react to him, still). So, fuck the press.

Thus concludes the rant.

On a side note, I have heard he is riddled with arthriteous (which, I can't spell, but I'm sure you can work oot what I mean) because of all the body popping he's done, which would explain why he doesn't perform so much any more.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Michael's only problem would be that he would "expect certain treatment" and this ain't the crowd of celebs that would appreciate that. Most of these performers are pretty "hippy-crowd" free-love type folk.

True, to an extent...he is used to special treatment.

But, on the other hand, at least half of the people on there are people who I'm pretty sure would gladly let him have that treatment, considering his influence.

Hell, he's worked/working with one of the Black Eyed Peas, Madonna, John Legend, Akon and Sheryl Crow.
Heres some clips from his last proper performance (with The Jacksons at Madison Square Garden in 2001), Binnie...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XrAsuBnWvdE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XrAsuBnWvdE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4sxVXXAmXM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4sxVXXAmXM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t9K9RSIzjEQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t9K9RSIzjEQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db6O6ctsFlw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db6O6ctsFlw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Michael Jackson's too busy constructing 100 foot tall laser shooting robots of himself in Las Vegas that will wander the Nevada desert...he can't be bothered with doing something like music...

Come on, Bob, can you honestly say that if you had the money, you wouldn't do that?

binnie
04-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Those performances were pretty decent actually....

Coyote
04-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Live on stage in London will be:
Beastie Boys
Black Eyed Peas
Bloc Party
Corinne Bailey Rae
Damien Rice
David Gray
Duran Duran
Foo Fighters
Genesis
James Blunt
John Legend
Keane
Madonna
Paolo Nutini
Razorlight
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Snow Patrol
Additional performers will be announced at a future date.

The U.S. show will feature live on stage:
Kanye West
AFI
Kelly Clarkson
Akon
KT Tunstall
Alicia Keys
Ludacris
Bon Jovi
Sheryl Crow
Melissa Etheridge
Dave Matthews Band
Rihanna
Fall Out Boy
Roger Waters
Smashing Pumpkins
John Mayer
The Police

Great. A lineup consisting mostly of shit.
(Who the fuck is Paolo Nutini?)

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 08:26 PM
He's a singer-songwriter. Quite big over here. Very mediocre.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Exactly, exactly.

Just a shame aboot N Sync ruining it (although Britney acted as some eye candy).

Coyote
04-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
He's a singer-songwriter. Quite big over here. Very mediocre.

Mediocre, thy name is Brit-pop... :D

(Genre labels be damned)

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 09:34 PM
To be honest, i'm not even sure if he's British.

He comes across as European.

Coyote
04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
To be honest, i'm not even sure if he's British.

He comes across as European.

You never know. Might be an act.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Well, he's not doing too well so far, acting like a good singer-songwriter.

Coyote
04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Lack of practice. (Maybe talent, too.)

ELVIS
04-12-2007, 01:14 AM

Lip synced...

binnie
04-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Lip synced...

On a second watching, I think you are right.

binnie
04-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Well, he's not doing too well so far, acting like a good singer-songwriter.

I beleive he's Italian but could be wrong.

He was another housewives favourite, big for 2 months in which he sold a couple of hundred thousand records: James Blunt and James Morrison fall into the same category.

Mediocre is the best word: it's not adventurous enough to be offensivley bad, it's stereotypical, generic "music" churned out for a quick buck.

Hardrock69
04-12-2007, 09:45 AM
99% of artists who participate in these things are fucking pop artitsts who put out lame crap that I would not want to even expose my dog to.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Lip synced...

Dunno if they're lip synched, maybe a bit touched up. Just looks like the Crue DVD to me.

Wawazat
04-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Great. A lineup consisting mostly of shit.

Lot of reasons to smash the tv

Shaun Ponsonby
04-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, we are missing a rock n roll element (no pun intended), so we could throw it oot the window.

Ellyllions
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Wouldn't that be littering?

Kinda goes against Live Earth don'tcha think

(yeah, I'm a stinker ;))

Coyote
04-13-2007, 05:44 PM

Only if it doesn't hit something.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-14-2007, 08:14 AM

Kinda goes against Live Earth don'tcha think

(yeah, I'm a stinker ;))

Well, they're technically breaking their own rules anyways, using all that electricity to stage 7 massive concerts to be broadcast all over the world, where 80,000 per concert (at least) will drive there in their cars.

Although, I did hear a rumour that lighting will be supplied by the light that shines out of Bono's ass.

binnie
04-14-2007, 10:18 AM

Although, I did hear a rumour that lighting will be supplied by the light that shines out of Bono's ass.

LOL!!

Did you watch Have I Got News For You last night?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes.

Yes I did.

I always do.