04-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Is this his new single or something?

If so haven't heard it..

bueno bob
04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
New album, coming out pretty quick...

bueno bob
04-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Among the eleven new tracks Osbourne has recorded is "Not Going Away", which Rolling Stone describes as "a fiery rocker with ominous riffs from guitarist Zakk Wylde," and "Lay Your World On Me", which was inspired by Ozzy's wife and manager's recent battle with cancer. Other songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Countdown's Begun", "The Almighty Dollar", "Not Going Away" and "Civilize The Universe".

The follow-up to 2001's "Down To Earth", was recorded with the same band that backed Osbourne on his scattered 2006 Ozzfest dates — Zakk Wylde on guitar, Mike Bordin on drums, and former Rob Zombie bassist Rob "Blasko" Nicholson. The album has no official producer, although longtime Mutt Lange protégé Kevin Churko is serving as the engineer.

The new CD is the first to be recorded in Osbourne's home studio, located in the newly soundproofed guest house behind his Beverly Hills mansion, which he's outfitted with a mixing desk and a ProTools rig. "If you ever have inspiration, you can put down an idea," Osbourne told Rolling Stone of recording at home. "The bad thing is your wife can get ahold of you all the time for whatever she wants you to do."

bueno bob
04-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Not much info, but here's the Wiki entry on it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rain_%28Ozzy_Osbourne_album%29

binnie
04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Ok, the new album.

I've heard that Zakk told Ozzy that their last few records were shit, and they needed to make a "diary of a Madman" record. Now there's no way that'll happen, but if they have some fire it could be cool.

Although "Dreamer" was an abomination, I didn't mind Down to Earth: it was solid if not spectacular, and I thought "Gets Me Through" was one of the best Ozzy tunes since "No rest...." - admitedly that's not saying much.

I can't see the album being anywhere near vinatage Ozzy, but I'm optimstic it could be better than his last three solo records; he has the talent around him to make something worthwhile listening to, that's for sure.

katie
04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Interview with Zakk taken from glam-metal.com
link here - http://www.glam-metal.com/zakk77.html

The next Ozzy record, what were your contributions?

I wrote all the songs with Ozzy and everything like that, and Mike Borden, and Blasko threw down on the bass. So, everything’s cool. Kevin Gergo worked with Mutt Lange and Kevin did an amazing job, and he’s a Black Label guy, a beautiful guy, and Ozzy’s singing his ass off. They’re mastering it right now.
Ozzy was like, “No More Tears,,,blah, blah, blah.” I was like fuck no more tears, Oz, come on man, the last couple records we put out are all fuckin shit. It’s gotta be slammin’ Oz! I mean what’s the fuckin’ point of showin’ up?

It’s good that you’re there to keep him on track and be up front & honest with him.

(at this point Zakk gets a little belligerent and starts yelling)
I DON’T GIVE A FUCK about bein’ famous! FUCK IT! If it sucks… IT SUCKS, I mean I’m not playing to go 7 to 9. I want the fuckin’ ring! I wanna win the fuckin’superbowl. I’m not doing tour dates, liftin’ weights and doin all this shit to come in second place. No one remembers who came in second place. FUCK THAT. We’re the the fuckin’ Ozzy Osbourne band. Now lets go kick some mother fuckin’ ass and go home and get this shit done with I wanna get a blow-job from the wife, alright? So that’s it.

ThrillsNSpills
04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
I haven't heard it but appreciate the heads up.

Fuck Sharon will always apply for messing with the classics but she saved ozzy from a life of debauchery, abuse, and destruction. well maybe not but he made some good albums didn't he.....

bueno bob
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Heheheh...Ozzy "writing"...that's a fuckin' good one, Zakk - got any other bridges you wanna sell me?

I don't imagine "Black Rain" will be ANY different than No More Tears, Ozzmosis, and Down to Earth were - regardless of what Zakky-poo says about it all. He's said that about every damn record and it never pans out as such.

The samples don't sound very promising...Ozzy's last gasp was "No Rest for the Wicked"...the last CLASSIC Ozzy album...

binnie
04-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Does it have to be great though, or can we accept a decent metal record?

I mean, he's an old fucker now, he ain't going to make Blizzard or Diary again is he?

As long as it's an improvement on the last couple, I'll be happy...

theicecreamman
04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
"I've heard that Zakk told Ozzy that their last few records were shit, and they needed to make a "diary of a Madman" record."

I don't think Ozzy has it in him anymore. Besides Zakk playing is completley different than Rhoads. I gave up on Ozzy after No More Tears.

binnie
04-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I haven't given up, but by the same token I don't expect a classic record from a man pushing 60, just one that's better than the last couple.

bastardog
04-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I will hear it just if I can find it for free.
Not a single cent of my hard earned money to Sharon

BruinJer
04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
it will be floating around the internet soon enough... I feel no need to BUY it either,

bueno bob
04-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Complete track listing:

I Don't Wanna Stop
Not Going Away
Thank God For The Almighty Dollar
Civilize The Universe
Black Rain
Countdown's Begun
Trap Door
Here for You
Lay Your World Down on Me
11 Silver

...doesn't sound like an earth-shattering album...based on the song titles, I'd guess he went with the same song-writing team that wrote Down to Earth...

Mr Badguy
04-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I don`t care.

Why?

Ozzy will only play maybe one song from it in concert and will play the same old stuff.

That isn`t the sign of an album he believes in.

Terry
04-12-2007, 03:03 PM
No longer interested.

Not interested in him doing anything with Sabbath OR solo anymore.

Let him put out some old solo live footage with RR playing. Short of that, not so much.

Bill Lumbergh
04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I will always be an Ozzy fan, even though he(Sharon) destroyed his legacy and his last album SUCKED.....still, I've got WAY too many good memories of growing up listening to the Ozz either with Sab or solo to just say "Fuck him"....we all know how much the thread starter loves Ozzy :rolleyes:

indeedido
04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm looking forward to it. I still like Oz and Zakk. I liked Down to Earth. Zakk didn't write the tunes, but he changed them around and made them better. I still like it. I like the tone and vibe.

This one should be a return to roots so to speak.

I read Ozzfest will be free this year. Beat that!

http://melodicrock.com/

Ozzy will support BLACK RAIN with a world tour beginning in Moscow on May 27 which continues through July 6. Then starting July 12 in Seattle, he'll headline the 12th annual Ozzfest tour throughout America (www.ozzfest.com).
The pioneer and trendsetter has pulled the plug on ticket prices in America and given the power back to the fans, calling this summer's Ozzfest "FreeFest.” That's right, this year's Ozzfest is entirely free for fans, an unprecedented move for an artist and tour of this stature.

cMb
04-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I'll give it a listen, but I definitely won't buy it w/o hearing it first.

Oh, yeah, I still gotta roll with 'Fuck $haron' on the poll, tho...

ELVIS
04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Click! (http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/)

:elvis:

BruinJer
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I will always be an Ozzy fan, even though he(Sharon) destroyed his legacy and his last album SUCKED.....still, I've got WAY too many good memories of growing up listening to the Ozz either with Sab or solo to just say "Fuck him"....we all know how much the thread starter loves Ozzy :rolleyes:

I agree... I LOVE is first 3 albums (B.O.O., Diary & Speak Of The Devil) they bring back memories of a happy, care-free time in my life. He still is a likable guy and I LOVED the TV show, it's his wife who I have grown to hate. She has killed his career.

ELVIS
04-12-2007, 06:00 PM
I care but those clips pretty much suck...

PHOENIX
04-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Boy from what i've heard so far this album is gonna suck.

ELVIS
04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Pro Tools computer generated garbage...

ELVIS
04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Sample number 8 sounds cool, but thats about it...

Little Texan
04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Just as long as this album is better than Down To Earth! God, what a stinking pile of shit that album was! And beyond the first four or so songs on Ozzmosis, that was also a horrible record! I thought No More Tears was great...I really dug that one! I'm optimistic that this will be a better effort from the Ozzman this time!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I honestly don't care.

If he'd have made a good album instead of "Down To Earth" (although I did like "Gets Me Through" and "That I Never Had"), then maybe I could have forgiven him (but, NOT $haron) for what he's become, but not now. Too little, too late.

I'm much more excited aboot where Heaven and Hell are gonna go. It's funny, 10 years with Ozzy produces nothing, but 10 minutes with Dio and they get 3 kewl songs.

And Dio can still do it.

ELVIS
04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

And Dio can still do it.

Barely...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-12-2007, 09:36 PM
WHAT?????????????????????????????

Are you kidding me?

ELVIS
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
No, he sounds old, his voice has really changd...

binnie
04-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

As far as Ozzy's vocals go, yes there is a lot of "studio magic" there.

But I quite liked some of the riffs, the first five samples or so.

Sounded rawer and crunchier than most of his stuff in the last 20 years or so.

But there's not a lot we can gauge from five second soundbites (cheers for posting the link though!)

bueno bob
04-13-2007, 06:44 AM

Ozzy's been a walking Pro Tools machine for years now...my wife was asking me about a year back why his voice sounded digitized all the time anymore...I just had to laugh...

binnie
04-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Most modern bands record on Pro Tools though, right?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-13-2007, 11:12 AM
No, he sounds old, his voice has really changd...

OK, so there's the obvious age-related decline, which everyone faces sooner or later.

BUT, I would NOT say he sounds the age he is rumoured to be.

bastardog
04-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
OK, so there's the obvious age-related decline, which everyone faces sooner or later.

BUT, I would NOT say he sounds the age he is rumoured to be.

At 70 there should be a decline........I hope most of the singers out there got a decline so soft at 70 as Dio did.

indeedido
04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
I liked the clips. I thought 6 and 7 sucked, but the others sound like they have potential in the full length. Nice and crunchy and some nice grooves.

Freewheelin
04-13-2007, 04:17 PM
LMFAO Dio has been doing medieval BS and hasnt made a decent fucking metal album since "Last in Line " Wake the fuck up people , you should all line up and kiss Ozz's wrinkled white ass . He is the Godfather of Metal !!! I wasnt crazy about some of his more recent efforts either but give me a friggin break his legacy and contribution to metal far outshines anything Dio ever had . If not for Vivian Campbell I doubt Ronny would have had the solo succes he did. If you dont like his more recent efforts thats fine but dont rag on the man for it , at least he is still out there touring and trying to keep rock alive . The influence of Black Sabbath and Ozzy are to thank for some of the greatest heavy bands there are today . I am sure Dimebag would be flippin in his grave right now if he could see the shit that some of you have put up here .

Shaun Ponsonby
04-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Fuck off.

binnie
04-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Freewheelin
LMFAO Dio has been doing medieval BS and hasnt made a decent fucking metal album since "Last in Line " Wake the fuck up people , you should all line up and kiss Ozz's wrinkled white ass . He is the Godfather of Metal !!! I wasnt crazy about some of his more recent efforts either but give me a friggin break his legacy and contribution to metal far outshines anything Dio ever had . If not for Vivian Campbell I doubt Ronny would have had the solo succes he did. If you dont like his more recent efforts thats fine but dont rag on the man for it , at least he is still out there touring and trying to keep rock alive . The influence of Black Sabbath and Ozzy are to thank for some of the greatest heavy bands there are today . I am sure Dimebag would be flippin in his grave right now if he could see the shit that some of you have put up here .

OK, I am a huge Ozzy fan but most of what you just said doesn't hold water.

You argue that Dio would have had no solo career without Viv Cambell, but it could be argued that Ozzy's carrer would ahve been far less of a success without Randy, in fact I bet he'd admit it. Also, the use of hired writers since No more Tears could also be used against him.

Dio is a metal God just like Ozzy: both made great records with Sabbath (even if Ozzy's have the edge) and both have some fantastic solo output. Dio is clearly the better singer, whose voice outlasts any other rock singer I can think of, and Ozzy clearly has the edge as a frontman.

Dio's solo output in the 90s is far stronger than Ozzy's to these ears, and he has probably remained more consistent to his roots: all you have to do is think of every band he's been in and you see that he's raised the bar in some respects, Rainbow is a prime example.

Ozzy is the Godfather of metal, not doubting it. But Dio fuckin rules too.

binnie
04-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by indeedido
I liked the clips. I thought 6 and 7 sucked, but the others sound like they have potential in the full length. Nice and crunchy and some nice grooves.

Agreed, hard to tell from such short soundbites but some of it sounded promising to these ears...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by binnie
OK, I am a huge Ozzy fan but most of what you just said doesn't hold water.

You argue that Dio would have had no solo career without Viv Cambell, but it could be argued that Ozzy's carrer would ahve been far less of a success without Randy, in fact I bet he'd admit it. Also, the use of hired writers since No more Tears could also be used against him.

Dio is a metal God just like Ozzy: both made great records with Sabbath (even if Ozzy's have the edge) and both have some fantastic solo output. Dio is clearly the better singer, whose voice outlasts any other rock singer I can think of, and Ozzy clearly has the edge as a frontman.

Dio's solo output in the 90s is far stronger than Ozzy's to these ears, and he has probably remained more consistent to his roots: all you have to do is think of every band he's been in and you see that he's raised the bar in some respects, Rainbow is a prime example.

Ozzy is the Godfather of metal, not doubting it. But Dio fuckin rules too.

Dio's last couple of albums have been killer too. Especially "Master of the Moon".

Little Texan
04-18-2007, 07:54 PM
If the first single, I Don't Wanna Stop, is any indication, this is going to be one hell of an album! That song blows away anything that was on Down To Earth!

Tiki-Tom
04-19-2007, 01:24 AM
As for the record, I don't give a crap anymore. It's just gonna suck like most things he's touched in the last few years. Why should I care
about this hack anymore?
Hell, Rush's new one will be coming out soon as well and they can still put out great tunes that are worthy of my attention. Sharon is more worried about raping Ozzy's tired ass for yet another cash grab. Zakk's number one priority is kissing Sharon's ass. Fuck 'em!

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 02:37 AM
LMFAO Dio has been doing medieval BS...

Blah blah blah.

Congratulations, asshole - you've just posted the most ignorant bullshit I've seen since Three Lock Rock's rants. Be proud.

Tiki-Tom
04-19-2007, 02:44 AM
If not for Vivian Campbell I doubt Ronny would have had the solo succes he did.
Yep, we all see how well Viv has been workin' his mojo with Def Leppard:rolleyes:
Ronnie is the man!! Deal with it............

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 03:54 AM
LMFAO Dio has been doing medieval BS and hasnt made a decent fucking metal album since "Last in Line"

Not true. Medieval themes are not really as dominant in Ronnie's music and lyrics as his detractors seem to think. More so, if you actually listen to what's being sung about, medieval themes (WHEN they're used) are usually referencing something modern (examples: "Killing the Dragon" is actually about online stalkers; "The Man Who Would Be King" is about George W. Bush and his bullshit...etc etc).

Wake the fuck up people, you should all line up and kiss Ozz's wrinkled white ass.

But you're doing such a wonderful job of it on your own! :rolleyes:

He is the Godfather of Metal!!!

No he's not. He's one of four guys who are credited for paving the way for it. "Godfather of Metal" is what the fanboys like to attach to him. And if you wanna get REALLY technical about it, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler are FAR, FAR more responsible for that than Ozzy will ever be...

I wasnt crazy about some of his more recent efforts either but give me a friggin break his legacy and contribution to metal far outshines anything Dio ever had.

His contribution to metal? Sure. But be sure that you also give credit there to Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Randy Rhoads, and Bob Daisley, because without THEIR contributions, Ozzy'd be bagging groceries in Brimingham to this very day. Ozzy is nothing without his bands writing for him, period. And you'd better thank $haron, too, because without her cutthroat business practices of building financial empires out of the wallets of hard working musicians, Ozzy wouldn't have gotten there, either.

Ozzy?

12 excellent albums (Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, Bark at the Moon, The Ultimate Sin, Tribute, No Rest for the Wicked).
2 so-so albums (Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die).
9 shitty albums (Speak of the Devil, Just Say Ozzy, No More Tears, Live and Loud, Ozzmosis, Reunion, Down to Earth, Live at Budokan, Under Cover).
12 to 11...that's close to 50/50 output right there. And "Black Rain" is still a toss-up.

Ronnie?

19 excellent albums (L.A. 59, Trying to Burn the Sun, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Live in Germany, Rainbow Rising, On Stage, Long Live Rock and Roll, Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Holy Diver, The Last in Line, Sacred Heart, Intermission, Dehumanizer, Inferno: Last in Live, Magica, Killing the Dragon, Evil or Divine: Live in New York, Master of the Moon)
6 so-so albums (Elf, Live Evil, Dream Evil, Strange Highways, Angry Machines, Holy Diver Live)
1 shitty album (Lock Up the Wolves)

When it comes to album quality over the years, Ozzy's been hit and miss...and it's been a miss for so long than his bad material now almost outweighs the good. Ronnie's put out album after album of quality work and very rarely has he ever slipped up.

If not for Vivian Campbell I doubt Ronny would have had the solo succes he did.

Ha! Pot meet kettle, hunh?

:rolleyes:

If you're going to do something foolish, such as blaming Vivian Campbell for Ronnie's success, you better start pointing a LOT of fingers back at Ozzy rather than look completely hypocritical, don't ya think?

If you dont like his more recent efforts thats fine but dont rag on the man for it , at least he is still out there touring and trying to keep rock alive .

You think Ronnie's not out there touring? Have you missed the Heaven and Hell tour, which is turning out to quickly be THE summer metal show to see?

The only reason Ozzy's out touring is because $haron keeps throwing him out there to do it. He's not trying to keep rock alive...he's barely alive himself.

The influence of Black Sabbath and Ozzy are to thank for some of the greatest heavy bands there are today.

No argument there. Of course, that's mostly due to (...anyone?)...that's RIGHT! Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler! Let's face it, they wrote everything.

I am sure Dimebag would be flippin in his grave right now if he could see the shit that some of you have put up here .

Well, that's all sad and tragic sounding, but frankly, I don't give a fuck what Dimmy Darrell thinks of my opinion on Ozzy vs. Dio. Why is he even fucking relevant to the conversation?

:confused:

Get your head in the here 'n' now, Sparky. This isn't Pantera debate.

Bill Lumbergh
04-19-2007, 04:12 AM
No more Tears and Ozzmosis are shitty albums?! Maybe they're not your cup of tea, but "shitty"?!

Bill Lumbergh
04-19-2007, 04:14 AM
We all know and love the great Iommi(no sarcasm, he's the fucking man), but at least give Ozzy some fucking credit now and then.....

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 04:42 AM
No more Tears and Ozzmosis are shitty albums?! Maybe they're not your cup of tea, but "shitty"?!

Yeah, I gotta say it...I thought they were crap, especially No More Tears...Ozzmosis a little less so, but crap none the less...

:)

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 04:42 AM
We all know and love the great Iommi(no sarcasm, he's the fucking man), but at least give Ozzy some fucking credit now and then.....

Well, OK...he sure can hum a melody! :D

:lol:

Panamark
04-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Dammit !

Links are not working now..

Im hoping this really is the follow up
to No More Tears...

Ozzy Rocks !

ace diamond
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
sharon may be a psycho cunt.....but i am still down with the ozzman.

he is still the godfather of heavy fucking metal......he was that long before he ever met that bitch. and he will always be. i am a heavy metal musician,so with out ozzy and black sabbath there would be no heavy fucking metal. who cares about sharon anyway?

Panamark
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Anyone seen alternative links to the samples ?
The ones Elvis posted are dead now..

ThrillsNSpills
04-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Anyone seen alternative links to the samples ?
The ones Elvis posted are dead now..

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/article/?id=46443

ThrillsNSpills
04-20-2007, 06:31 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=70000

Panamark
04-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks Unca Fester ! (T'n'S's)

I head I dont wanna stop (quite catchy on first listen)
the other link goes to sony, which for some reason
my media player wont play...

I quite liked that first track, will definetly give this
album a listen..

cMb
04-21-2007, 11:12 AM
http://www.black-sabbath.com/images/covers/blackrain.jpg

The_KiD
04-21-2007, 11:20 AM
My personal expectations are LOW.. So maybe I will be impressed but doubtful.. I grew up listening to Blizzard of OZ and Diary of a Madman but those days are long gone..

KiD

bueno bob
04-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Yup...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by The_KiD
My personal expectations are LOW.. So maybe I will be impressed but doubtful.. I grew up listening to Blizzard of OZ and Diary of a Madman but those days are long gone..

KiD

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Well, I might do.

OK, I probably could.

Actually, I definatley could.

binnie
04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't think anyone's expecting a Blizzard or a Diary, but I'm just joping for a decent solid metal record, no more no less....

DeadMan1984
04-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Heh I've given up on Osbourne. Ozzmosis and Down to Earth were shit and that shitty tv show really turned me off. Sharon can go to hell for bringing this uninspired man out of retirement.

ace diamond
04-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by DeadMan1984
Heh I've given up on Osbourne. Ozzmosis and Down to Earth were shit and that shitty tv show really turned me off. Sharon can go to hell for bringing this uninspired man out of retirement.

FUCK NO!!!!DON'T YOU DARE SEND THAT FUCKING CUNT ASS BITCH DOWN HERE!!!!!
THAT WOULD BE A REWARD.IF YOU WANT TO GIVE HER THE WORST TORMENT POSSIBLE..........
SEND HER STUPID GREEDY ASS UP TO HEAVEN.

Antman
04-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Ozzy should retire for good and take his fuckin family with him.

ace diamond
04-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Antman
Ozzy should retire for good and take his fuckin family with him.

Vinnie Velvet
04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
The only way for Ozzy to put out another great album is to have Bob Daisley back into the fold- helping Oz write lyrics and melodies.

Of course, no way in hell that would happen considering the ongoing legal disputes over royalties between him (with original drummer Lee Kerslake) and Oz and Sharon.

Freewheelin
05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Well at least Ronny wont have to bow down to kiss Ozzy's ass , he might need a stepladder. And btw the Heaven and Hell was the only good effort that Dio gave Sabbath . Mob Rules was marginal at best , the difference between Ozz and Dio with guitarists is that Ozz has had probably the greatest of all time with Randy and TOny but also has brought us Zakk who is great in his own right . Viv C was the right fit for Dio and a great guitar player and Dio has a great voice but to try and compare legacies Dio falls far short of the mark . When Ozz left Sabbath and I know that Bill Ward at least agrees with this, it wasnt Sabbath any more . You can call me ignorant I really dont care but dont rag on one of the top frontmen in rock history motherfuckers.

binnie
05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Sorry dude, but I can't agree with those statements.

Sabbath was at it's best with Ozzy: no question.

But the Dio-era records were fuckin stella too, Mob Rules is probably a better record than Never Say Die for instance.

As far as solo amterial goes, Dio has been way more consistent: Ozzy's output post 1991 has been mediocre at best, and that might be being genrous.

Love Ozzy to bits, but it's over I'm afraid. We might get a decent album this time, but decent is the best we can hope for.

ELVIS
05-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Mob Rules was marginal at best

You're an idiot, and we'll rag on anyone we damn well please...:rolleyes:

binnie
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
You're an idiot, and we'll rag on anyone we damn well please...:rolleyes:

That's pretty much what I wanted to say, I was just being polite...lol!

Vinnie Velvet
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Ozzy has made his mark as a frontman and vocalist, but ANYONE with ANY knowledge on the history of metal and hard rock must realize that without Tony, Geezer, Randy and Bob Daisley, Ozzy would be in the shitter. Heck, he'd probably admit to it (maybe not the Daisely remark).

Tony and Geezer, along with Bill Ward, gave Sabbath their SOUND and ultimately ushered in the birth of 'heavy metal'. Ozzy contributed his part with his vocal stylings and performance which doesn't go without notice.

And we all know that had Ozzy not have hooked up with Randy Rhodes and Bob Daisely, he would've been drowning in his own piss and alcohol.

Freewheelin
05-08-2007, 06:51 PM
I never said that the other members werent also responsible for the bands success, there is no question about that I fucking love TOny Geez , Bill, Randy, Bob etc ALL those guys helped make Ozz great no question, and Binnie I totally respect your opinion , you and I see eye to eye on other music threads in this forum . Bueno I am sure that YOU think that all of those Dio albums you named were just fucking wonderful but frankly I disagree. As for being called a "fanboy" umm all due respect but being called a fanboy by someone who has "Diamond" status on a David Lee Roth Forum is like being called a bigot at a klan rally . I lost most interest in Dio after Sacred Heart came out and I moved into heavier genres of music . I will ALWAYS be an Ozzy fan even if all he ever did was play tha classic stuff . DIo was a replacement singer albeit a good one he is not and will never be the legend that Ozzy is . Do I think Ozzy would have had a succesful solo career without Randy ? Randy is one of a kind and Ozz was fortunate to have him but yes I think Ozz would have still been succesful without him . Considering Randy was only part of Ozz's career for a short time and Ozz has managed to carry on somehow these last 20 some years without him I think thats proof enough. I guess I tend to get a bit hotheaded when I see the flames from people on here that are all too willing to overlook the 30+ years of entertainment that the man has given us . Its alot easier to take potshots at an aging perfomer than it is to remain loyal I guess.

binnie
05-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Ozzy has made his mark as a frontman and vocalist, but ANYONE with ANY knowledge on the history of metal and hard rock must realize that without Tony, Geezer, Randy and Bob Daisley, Ozzy would be in the shitter. Heck, he'd probably admit to it (maybe not the Daisely remark).

Tony and Geezer, along with Bill Ward, gave Sabbath their SOUND and ultimately ushered in the birth of 'heavy metal'. Ozzy contributed his part with his vocal stylings and performance which doesn't go without notice.

And we all know that had Ozzy not have hooked up with Randy Rhodes and Bob Daisely, he would've been drowning in his own piss and alcohol.

Ozzy usually says "There would have been no Sabbath without Ozzy Osboure, and no Ozzy Osbourne without Black Sabbath."

And we all know he's forever giving Randy props.

He's not one to have an inflated sense of his own talents - although maybe these days he's got a deluded sense of how long they've lasted...

cMb
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
It doesn't work for me using Firefox, but this album is available for streaming here:
http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/Music/Artists/Articles/OzzyOsbourne

binnie
05-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Works fine for me, cheers cMb.

30 seconds in, and 27 pinch harmonics already....lol

binnie
05-17-2007, 03:34 AM
I love the irony of the fact that there's a song called "God Bless the Almight Dollar"! It's got a groove to it once it gets going, but the opening of that track sucks: what's with the funky bass line?

This is much darker than the last album so far: I quite like the title track, there's a half-way decent vocal line on it.

binnie
05-17-2007, 03:50 AM
My major criticism with this album is why so many ballads: if your voice is shot, why try and sing slow ballads that only highlight that fact?

Civilize the Universe; Here For You; & Lay Your World on Me are not good, not good at all. Actaully a little embarrassing at times....

Not as bad as Dreamer, but that's not saying much.

I quite like the heavier stuff on here though: it's not vintage Ozzy by any stretch of the imagination but it's perfectly solid heavy metal: 11 Silver is the fastest and angriest he's sounded since "No Rest.." and has an amazing solo in it - I was starting to think that Zakk only did one solo these days.

Not Going Away and Countdown Begun sound quite similar to me: slow brooding riff and simple drums - perfect for rocking too, but I'm not sure they'll be memorable.

And the vocals on Trap Door remind me of 80s-electro in the verse, and then like normal Ozzy in the chorus: different, but I think it's interesting here.

Over all I find this album more consistent than Ozzmosis or Down to Earth for sure, but it was never going to be a classic.

Pretty much as I expected: solid rather than spectacular.

Anyone else?

DrMaddVibe
05-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Binnie, dead on with respects to Black Sabbath and Ozzy.

Freewheelin', Dio, not a legend? That guy can hit the same notes he did as a kid. Ozzy can't. When Ozzy chose to medicate himself it was Dio that ressurected Black Sabbath from its slumber. Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell are stellar releases and proved that all the rest of the band needed was someone to get in front of the mic and lay it down. They toured extensively on both releases as well.

Ozzy's best move was signing Randy. Without Randy, Ozzy wouldn't ahve been able to enjoy the long standing success of boring releases that he's had. Sharon was instrumental in running the Ozzy bandwagon and I respect her for her part as a shrewd businessperson, but she's outlived her usefulness. She's a liability that Ozzy should've muzzled a LONG time ago. Ozzy has been neutered and cannot stand up for whatever he is nowadays.

I hope that Zakk can finally play on a record without sounding redundant. He's a good guitarist, but after 3 songs I'm done with it.

The mere notion that Dio was a replacement for Ozzy is a joke too. Dio was a slap in his face by Ozzy's former bandmates for walking out on them. Dio fit Black Sabbath and dared to push them into darker updated territory after a long career in Heavy Metal. Dio belonged with the rest of them and the fact that Black Sabbath is continuning to work with him dismisses the idea that he's a "replacement". Dio still brings the goods and finishes tours. Dio tours religiously. Dio doesn't walk around on MTV in his pajamas cursing at his family while out of his skull on anti-depressant medication.

Get over the fact that you THINK you're some big fan of Black Sabbath. If you can't accept what Dio did then you're actually ripping on Black Sabbath itself. Dio didn't bring any disgrace to Black Sabbath like Spammy McGaygar did with Van Halen. He knew the previous works were hallowed ground and respected what Ozzy had done in the past. Not by copying him, but by singing those songs as he could...With all of his motherfucking Heavy Metal voice. Even now the band has to play under the moniker "Heaven And Hell" paying homage to what they had done WITH Dio.

binnie
05-17-2007, 07:33 AM
No-one else listened to "Black Rain" yet?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Nope...don't intend to.

binnie
05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
You're not even going to give it a chance?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm cynophobic.

I cun't listen to ozzy now without thinking of dogs and cats pissing all over his floor, and him shuffling along to clear it up.

As somebody who is cynophobic, I don't want that.

Plus, I don't want to fund $haron's next escapade.

binnie
05-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Well, that's fair enough.

It's good that you have a moral fibre, I mean that.

ace diamond
05-17-2007, 03:40 PM
No-one else listened to "Black Rain" yet?

not available in america until next tuesday.:mad:

binnie
05-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by cMb
It doesn't work for me using Firefox, but this album is available for streaming here:
http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/Music/Artists/Articles/OzzyOsbourne

Ace, click on this link to hear streaming of it.

It worked for me yesterday.

DrMaddVibe
05-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Ummm...torrents?

binnie
05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Ummm...torrents?

Sorry, I don't understand....

Bill Lumbergh
05-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Waiting for the official release to listen to it....

ace diamond
05-18-2007, 02:45 PM
thanks, binnie......streaming audio.......gotta love it!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I don't understand....

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

cMb
05-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Ozzy isn't going to 'change the game' or set any 'standards' for the heavy metal genre at this point. He's been there, done that. Did he do it single-handedly? Hell, no, but who has?

Black Rain is a collection of 10 accessible songs, none of which are spectacular, but none are embarrassments either. Sure, Ozzy's voice has more than a little studio-magic applied to it, but hasn't he always been that way? He sounds in fine form here. At 10 tracks, clocking in at 46 minutes, the album isn't really long enough for Ozzy's voice to become an issue. I mean, if you just never liked his voice to begin with, this album isn't going to change your mind.

You want pinched harmonics? Well, you got em here!
Much like Ozzy's voice, if you aren't a fan of Zakk's style, there's nothing on this album that is going to sway your opinion. At this point, I personally would probably rather hear the Ozzman with a new collaborator, but Zakk gets the job done in fine fashion.

Mike Bordin is solid on percussion, as always. The songs don't really allow for a whole lot of 'virtuoso' styling from the rhythm section, so Mike probably did what he was asked to do, and keeps it simple & straight-forward. Being a huge Faith No More & Mike Bordin fan, the snare sound here is a little too mechanical sounding for me.

There is more than a little 'Zombie' influence on this album. I don't know if Blasko had anything to do with it, but IMO it's a good thing. The low-end hits hard. There's 'nu-metal' elements incorporated into this album, some bass parts would even fit right in on a Korn album. Kevin Churko, a Mutt Lange protoge, has made a very modern sounding album which still manages to retain some 'classic' Ozzy sound.

I like this album more than I thought I would. There's one ballad too many & it could probably use another balls-out rocker.
Having just listened to No More Tears yesterday, IMO this album is as good, if not better.
This is a fine addition to Ozzy's catalog.:rockit2:

8/10

ThrillsNSpills
05-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Most if not all of the tracks are on Youtube.

DrMaddVibe
05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Civilize The Universe is a pretty good song.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Ozzy_Osbourne_-_Black_Rain.jpg

binnie
05-21-2007, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

Cheers for the clarification.

binnie
05-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Overall, I'd say that this record is a pleasant surprise - not the embarrassment it could have been...

tjvhou812
05-22-2007, 12:46 AM
ozzy is like a fine wine

ELVIS
05-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by cMb
Ozzy's voice has more than a little studio-magic applied to it, but hasn't he always been that way?

No...

You want pinched harmonics?

No...

This is a fine addition to Ozzy's catalog.:rockit2:

It's alright, but nowhere near all the pumped up crap I read from Zakk a month ago...

ELVIS
05-23-2007, 01:02 AM
This is kinda cool...:cool:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WBI0m8Wl7wc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WBI0m8Wl7wc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
05-23-2007, 02:21 AM
This is kinda aggravating but cool...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sFUbsFQiLBE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sFUbsFQiLBE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
05-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Anyone seen the actual video for I Don't Wann Stop yet?

Is it any good?

col5150
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
im real pleased he aint did an encore to changes with his delightful daughter ahem

Gave the album a lsiten to twice or three times and some of its pretty good not great by any means but pretty good

zakk wylde's a great guitar player in my opinion.....but he looks wierd without a beard

Bill Lumbergh
05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Nothing ground breaking, or classic, but it's a damn good effort.....blows that fucking POS "Down to Earth" away, and is on par with "Ozzmosis" (which I like, and still cant believe the hammering that one takes.....)....I'm pleased :D

Vinnie Velvet
05-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Nothing ground breaking, or classic, but it's a damn good effort.....blows that fucking POS "Down to Earth" away, and is on par with "Ozzmosis" (which I like, and still cant believe the hammering that one takes.....)....I'm pleased :D

I agree.

I'm liking it. Maybe a few more listens I'll like it more.

But yeah, it blows away the crappola that was Down to Earth and I actually like it better than Ozzmosis (never did like that one).

Seems like the Ozzman and Zakk put in a good effort here.

bueno bob
05-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, I just finally got around to stealing it...

I'm on track 7 - have been listening to as much of each song as I can possibly stomach, and that's been, on average, about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. I'll be deleting it off of my computer immediately after I'm finished without bothering to upload it to my MP3 player or burn it onto a CD for prosperity.

There is simply no excuse for piss-poor songwriting. In addition to piss poor songwriting, this thing is mired by shitty Pro-Tools vocal effects, horrific lyrics and Zakk Wylde pinch harmonic masturbation with a pile of over-production in all the wrong places. Ballads are complete fucking cheese. This is a tired, washed-up, out of steam, out of gas Ozzy Osbourne and it's really tragic to hear it.

Final score? 1 out of 10. Only redeeming quality that I can give it is the song "Trap Door" (which I'm on now), which has HINTS of a decent working song, if there'd been some more time taken with it. Other than that, this is just pure, unadulterated corporate horseshit.

Won't lose any sleep never hearing it again.

Mr. Vengeance
05-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I am going to give it about a 6.5 out of 10. Certainly not Ozzy's finest. Some lazy tunes, and what started off strongly as an album without too much harmonizer on Ozzy's vocals, quickly went BAD. The ballads are typical Ozzy ballads. They're okay. There's not really any song that I can say is great. But none are really awful either.

DrMaddVibe
05-26-2007, 07:33 PM
No way this gets a one in my book.

There's 3 stellar songs on this, and plenty to listen to except the ballads. He shouldn't have put them in there.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well, I just finally got around to stealing it...

I'm on track 7 - have been listening to as much of each song as I can possibly stomach, and that's been, on average, about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. I'll be deleting it off of my computer immediately after I'm finished without bothering to upload it to my MP3 player or burn it onto a CD for prosperity.

There is simply no excuse for piss-poor songwriting. In addition to piss poor songwriting, this thing is mired by shitty Pro-Tools vocal effects, horrific lyrics and Zakk Wylde pinch harmonic masturbation with a pile of over-production in all the wrong places. Ballads are complete fucking cheese. This is a tired, washed-up, out of steam, out of gas Ozzy Osbourne and it's really tragic to hear it.

Final score? 1 out of 10. Only redeeming quality that I can give it is the song "Trap Door" (which I'm on now), which has HINTS of a decent working song, if there'd been some more time taken with it. Other than that, this is just pure, unadulterated corporate horseshit.

Won't lose any sleep never hearing it again.

Absolutely agree.

ace diamond
05-28-2007, 06:54 PM
does anyone have the 3 bonus tracks?

please post them

cMb
05-28-2007, 07:09 PM
2 of the 3 are on Demonoid in lossy format

WARF
05-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Expecting Ozzy to put out another "blizzard" album would be like expecting Sammy Sosa to hit 60 hr's this year... both can still perform... but both of their glory years are far behind them!

ace diamond
05-29-2007, 08:13 PM
here is the official "I DON'T WANNA STOP" video:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-Vha5lJinU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-Vha5lJinU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DrMaddVibe
05-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Nice.

WACF
05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
The more I hear this song the more I like it musically.

It is radio fodder and breaks up everything quite nicely.

I just hate the cliche, goofy lyrics in this song...

binnie
05-30-2007, 03:18 AM
The lyrics aren't great by any means, but the song is really growing on me...

cMb
05-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I like the whole album(except Here for You) & have listened to it everyday since I bought it.

I like it enough that I think I'm gonna make the 2 hour trip to Ozzfest to see Static-X & Ozzy.

I listend to the 95 remaster of Bark At The Moon today, & his voice sounds an awful lot like it does on Black Rain.
Ever since he went solo from Sabbath, he's always used alot of effects.

I watched the Speak Of The Devil DVD over the weekend & his voice is completely digitized on that. It's almost unlistenable...

binnie
05-31-2007, 03:03 AM
Yeah, I'm seeing Ozzy June 19th and can't wait!

After hearing Black Rain, I don't think his voice is half as bad as people make out - not what it used to be, but it's not awful either...

ELVIS
06-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Trap Door absolutely kicks ass!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TCZiRVwC64o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TCZiRVwC64o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Best Ozzy song in many many years if you ask me...

Kinda reminds me of Technical Extacy type of stuff...

And not a single pinched harmonic!

Can you see your reflection
False strength, hollow protection
Run from pain and rejection
The truth stabs again

Till the skin is broken
And the cut is open
And the words once spoken
Just fade away

Too late, standing on the trap door

Big head leads to confusion
Strong heart pumps up delusion
Tough talk, one voice communion
Medicate the pain

Justify your ego
Living with denial
And the thoughts so vile
Won't fade away

It's coming
You're falling
You're on your own with no one left to blame

Can't sleep? 'cause you've made your own bed
The sentence of the helpless
Sink deep to the trial in your head
The court of the selfish
Why? Tell me why? Can't evade or escape the reality

A true lie and a broken promise
A Judas and a doubting Thomas
A tragedy just to keep you honest
Guilty always fall

Through the trap door
Fear the trap door
Through the trap door
The trap door, the trap door

No fear, too scared to look up
Can't win, nothing but bad luck
Clock ticks, your time to face up
You can't run for long

When your world is broken
Your trap door is open
The very words you choke on
Just fade away

ELVIS
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Good luck Ozzy remembering those lyrics...

Even with the teleprompter...:D

binnie
06-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Trap Door is a cool song, but 11 Silver is my favourite, sounds pissed off and rocks hard!

Ozzy was great at Wembley last week. With the excpeption of some tapes helping him out on War Pigs, it was all him singing.

His voice isn't what it was (and it was never much anyway), but he created such an atmosphere and seemed genuinely overwhelmed by the audience reaction to him. Magic.

I'd say the only downside was Zakk. Now I'm a big fan, but he was totally overplaying all of the old Randy tunes, inserting pinch harmonics at the end of every riff, inserting licks into the verses which jacked it up. Too much already.

I'm not qualified to talk about who had the better technique and style (although I'm guessing RR could have played circles around him, and Jake E Lee could too) but it seems to me that what separates Zakk and Randy is that the latter had an ear for melody and gave solos a beginning, middle and end.

Only a minor quibble in what was a great night though, and when Zakk did cut that shit out, the band sounded fantastic.

Only real surprise was that Ozzy only played two new tunes: "I'm not Going Away" and "Here for You" (which is a hunk of shit). Does the fact that he didn't even play his current single ("I don't wanna stop") imply that he has no faith in this record? Maybe that's readiing a little too much into things

ELVIS
06-27-2007, 04:24 AM
OPzzy doesn't know either way...

ELVIS
06-27-2007, 04:37 AM
(and it was never much anyway)

I'm always taken aback when I hear that...

Ozzy is one of the greatest Rock and Roll singers ever...

And his attitude of "I Just Wanna Rock and Roll, man" shows the real Ozzy Osbourne. Not The Osbournes...

He's always been a sincere performer...

ELVIS
06-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Me

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TCZiRVwC64o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TCZiRVwC64o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Can you see your reflection
False strength, hollow protection
Run from pain and rejection
The truth stabs again

Till the skin is broken
And the cut is open
And the words once spoken
Just fade away

Big head leads to confusion
Strong heart pumps up delusion
Tough talk, one voice communion
Medicate the pain

Justify your ego
Living with denial
And the thoughts so vile
Won't fade away

It's coming
You're falling
You're on your own with no one left to blame

Can't sleep? 'cause you've made your own bed
The sentence of the helpless
Sink deep to the trial in your head
The court of the selfish
Why? Tell me why? Can't evade or escape the reality

A true lie and a broken promise
A Judas and a doubting Thomas
A tragedy just to keep you honest
Guilty always fall

Through the trap door
Fear the trap door
Through the trap door
The trap door, the trap door

No fear, too scared to look up
Can't win, nothing but bad luck
Clock ticks, your time to face up
You can't run for long

When your world is broken
Your trap door is open
The very words you choke on
Just fade away

cMb
06-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Flame away if ya want, but the more I listen to Black Rain (+ Japan Bonus trax), the more I think it's his best since 'Diary'.

Civilize the Universe, Trap Door, 11 Silver, Not Going Away, Almighty Dollar, I Can't Save You & Black Rain are all top notch, modern heavy metal.

One too many ballads & not enough Zakk solo's are my only complaints.

This album rocks!

binnie
07-02-2007, 03:54 AM
I'm always taken aback when I hear that...

Ozzy is one of the greatest Rock and Roll singers ever...

And his attitude of "I Just Wanna Rock and Roll, man" shows the real Ozzy Osbourne. Not The Osbournes...

He's always been a sincere performer...

He was always sincere, true; and he kicks ass on the Sabbath records, and the first four or five solo ones.

But he was never a great "singer" in the technical sense was he? He's not a great singer like Dio is a great singer, or Robert Plant is a great singer.

I love Ozzy's voice, but it's because it communicates his unique personality, and like you say, his sincerity....

Terry
07-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Dude at work burned me a copy. Have been listening to it in the car for a few days.

Just an average effort. The studio trickery and distorted effects surrounding Ozzy's voice get somewhat tiresome rather quickly. Lot of the guitar verse riffs and chord progressions are very similar from one song to the next. Couple of solid choruses here and there. Many of the various musical passages don't really flow together all that well; sounds and feels like some of them were smacked together for the sake of making a song rather than flowing together organically. Production sounds a bit dry, without much depth of sound.

Wouldn't say it is terrible, but wouldn't put it up there among Ozzy's best work even as far as the Zakk Wylde stuff goes. Suppose in some ways it's better than I would have thought Ozzy was capable of at this stage of his career, and it's also good that he actually decided to do something new, as so many other bands and artists who have been around as long as he has just don't bother with new stuff anymore because it just doesn't seem to sell for anyone.

Anyone who seriously thinks this stuff is on a par with Blizzard or Diary, well, music is subjective and one certainly has a right to one's own opinion, but...no.

cMb
07-04-2007, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't put it in the same class as Diary or Blizzard, but the drop-off in quality after those first 2 albums is pretty drastic IMO.

Black Rain has as many bangin' tracks as anything post-Diary. Just MHO.

binnie
07-05-2007, 03:30 AM
I'd say it's his best record since No More Tears.

I like it, and wished he played more of the material on it when I saw him...

atomicpunk5151
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM
saw Ozzfest last night. My review....

Ozzfest Sacramento(Marysville), CA 7/17/07 review

Overall pretty great show from Ozzy & Zakk.

Started out at a few local bars north of Sacramento for a few beers since we didn’t need to see the opening bands. Got out to Marysville where the Outdoor Amp is, around 30 miles or so North of Sacramento. Sold out show, the place was packed, but since we were so late we ended up in the VIP parking right up front with no charge. Normally parking is $20. Also, perfect weather, nice and cool, usually it is 100 degrees at Ozzfest.

After a few beers in the parking lot we headed inside around 8pm. Lamb of God was just starting so we got more beer then headed to the lawn. Over 20,000+ people, totally full. We were able to walk right up to the front center of the lawn with out any hassle. Couple of huge pits were going, even saw a girl fight in one of the pits. Lamb of God was ok, the younger crowd seemed to know several of the songs and they got good crowd response. They played for just over an hour.

More $7 beers during the set change. It was now dark outside. The Ozzy comedy video came on and got several laughs. Then Ozzy came out and they opened with Bark at the Moon. Great response from the crowd. Zakk was shredding, some nice playing at the end with the outro solo. Good start.

The crowd of 20,000+ then went crazy during the opening notes of Mr Crowley. Ozzy was in very good sprits, vocals were a bit rough, but hell, he is almost 60. Decent response for the new song NGA, this was the only song he played from Black Rain. They dropped “Here for you”. Another big sing along for War Pigs, which is always a crowd favorite. Great rendition of Suicide Solution with a pretty long guitar solo from Zakk. Zakk played parts of the Randy Rhoads “spotlight solo” as a nice tribute. Did a bit of his own soloing as well. Zakk was really on tonight.

The it was back into I Don’t know. Finished up with the big hits in the encore. Of course the crowd went insane for “Crazy Train” & “Paranoid”

Bark at the Moon
Mr Crowley
Not Going Away
War Pigs
Road to Nowhere
Suicide Solution
Zakk Solo
I Don’t know
I Don’t want to Change the World
Mama I’m Coming Home
Crazy Train
Paranoid

Overall great night. Good times with some good friends, plenty of beer and some good tunes.

If you're on the fence I would say just go to see Ozzy & Zakk. I should have some pics and videos later.

ELVIS
07-18-2007, 09:02 PM
C'mon dude, let's have a bit more of a review on Ozzy's vocals rather than "a bit rough."

Please and thankya, thankya verymuch...

Hoongood
07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I have loved Ozz for years, but this album is huge disappointment.

Where are the guitar solos? Half the songs have none! Did the 90s come back or something?

This cat that is writing Ozzy's lryics now isn't hitting on shit either. Bring back Bob Daisley for some cool lyrics with some literary value.
I would rather hear Ozzy sing songs about monster fantasies than some dumbassed global warming fantasy, and weak anti-war rhetoric.

The anti-war songs are very lame. I guess Geezer wasn't available write something of value like War Pigs.

BLS has become a much better representation of the Ozzy legacy than the new Ozzy effort.

Seshmeister
07-19-2007, 11:14 PM
I'd say it's his best record since No More Tears.

That's not saying much though is it?

I guess I gave up on Ozzy a long time ago...

Basically Zakk and Ozzy can't write songs. Ozzy hasn't been able to sing for what 25 years but early on in his solo career he was surrounded with great people and you could overlook that. He never paid them and now he's surrounded with mediocrity. Someone bought me the Prince Of Darkness boxset as a present and the new material is shit beyomd belief. I'd rather listen to Strummin with the Devil and I detest cuntry music.

Everything I've heard from BLS is mediocre as fuck too. There is a big fucking emperors new clothes thing going on here with people trying to like stuff that is just not very good. In fact I think it's surprisingly bad. I'm not alone in finding Zakk's playing increasing annoying with the constant fucking pinched harmonics but again I could get past that if he would write a decent fucking song. How can you be a professional hard rock guitarist for 20 years and not come up with something better than that tedious derivative shit that's been done a 1000 times before better.

Diary of a Madman, gimme a fucking break. Lets get this in propotion ZW has been playing for OZZy on and off for nearly 20 years! Randy Rhodes died at 28!

It's not ZW's fault he's not a genius but you would think he could have done better than to just turn into a fat mediocre biker.

The last time I saw Ozzy was pre the TV show maybe around 1995 the tour after No More Tears and he was playing in 2000 venues when his career was fucked. I think he was much better then than he is now and that's saying something.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
07-19-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm saying this as someone who thought the first 2 or 3 Ozzy albums were just about my favourite music for a long time.

That's why I'm so pissy about it.

Seshmeister
07-19-2007, 11:28 PM

No it doesn't.

I don't understand you thinking that at all???

If that took more than 15 minutes to write then they should be shot.

WACF
07-19-2007, 11:35 PM
The fact everyone around me that knows I like heavier music has been telling me about the great new Ozzy disc is enough to confirm to myself it sucks!

ELVIS
07-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Well, I hear ya Sesh, and I generally agree...

I still stand by the song Trap Door though, even with no guitar solo...

No pinched harmonics either, by the way...

I love it, one of my favorite new songs by anyone...

ELVIS
07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
No it doesn't.

I don't understand you thinking that at all???

If that took more than 15 minutes to write then they should be shot.

I dunno man, I really like it...

It kinda reminds me of Technical Ecstacy or something...

Seshmeister
07-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Well everything that made early Ozzy music special isn't there.

The vocal melody is shocking and the music is derivative and obvious.

Its powerful enough but without any subtley or artistry then to me it's nothing.

Cheers!

:gulp:

ELVIS
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
I sure as hell expected (well, maybe I really didn't) a lot more when I read this Zakk interview on how heavy and kick ass this album was going to be...

Supposedly it's selling really well...

ELVIS
07-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Anyway sesh, stop complaining and watch this crap...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eV23AytI0UI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eV23AytI0UI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
07-20-2007, 01:26 AM
I don't know why he bothers to do the lip sync crap or whatever...

This is live and he doesn't sing terrible, although I doubt it can be tuned down anymore with out the strings falling off the guitars...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMZ52D0DzVQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMZ52D0DzVQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
07-20-2007, 01:32 AM
2000 with Joe Holmes (I think)

Not bad...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t8PsBS9oNoM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t8PsBS9oNoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

sadaist
07-20-2007, 01:59 AM
ZW was quoted as saying something to the effects of "I told Ozzy we needed to make a real OZZY album, back to real Ozzy music". Once he said that, Ozzy should have called Jake E. Lee.

binnie
07-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Once he said that, Ozzy should have called Jake E. Lee.

Ha Ha!!