PDA

View Full Version : NJ governor Corzine critically injured.

FORD
04-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Corzine injured in car crash

Hurt on way to Imus-Rutgers confab, gov is lucky to be alive, says trauma surgeon

BY OREN YANIV and LEO STANDORA
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/04/13/amd_corzineaccident.jpg

Van that Gov. Jon Corzine was riding in sits atop guardrail on Garden State Parkway in New Jersey after last night's crash. Corzine was on way to Imus-Rutgers meeting at governor's mansion.

New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine suffered a broken leg, a dozen fractured ribs and other serious injuries in a highway crash yesterday while on his way to a meeting between the Rutgers women's basketball team and Don Imus, authorities said.

The surgeon who operated on Corzine for two hours said the injuries were so severe that the governor was lucky to be alive.

Corzine's communications director, Anthony Coley, said the governor was taken from his vehicle on a stretcher and helicoptered to the trauma center at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, N.J.

His other injuries included a broken breastbone and collarbone and a slight fracture of the lower vertebrae, said Dr. Steven Ross, the hospital's trauma director. But he said Corzine suffered no brain or spinal cord damage.

Dr. Robert Ostrum, Corzine's surgeon, said the most damage was to the upper part of the governor's left leg, where two fractured bones pierced his flesh.

Ostrum said the damage was repaired by inserting two metal rods and screws.

Corzine was in "critical but stable" condition on a breathing tube and in intensive care following the surgery, during which he got seven units of blood.

Two more operations are scheduled for tomorrow and Monday, doctors said.

"He has a significant rehab ahead of him," Ostrum said, estimating it will take three to six months before Corzine is back to normal.

New Jersey state Senate President. Richard Codey was named acting governor after Corzine was hospitalized.

"On behalf of all the citizens of the state of New Jersey, we wish the governor a speedy recovery," Codey said.

The accident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. on the Garden State Parkway near mile marker 43.5 in Galloway Township in Atlantic County, about 114 miles south of Manhattan.

Corzine spokesman Brendan Gilfillan confirmed the governor was on his way to Drumthwacket, the governor's mansion in Princeton, where the disgraced radio talk show host and the Rutgers University players were to meet.

Imus, who had denigrated the players with racist and sexist slurs after their appearance in the NCAA championship game, had asked for the chance to apologize in person. Sources said the closed-door session went on as planned, just hours after CBS fired Imus for his remarks.

State Police Superintendent Rick Fuentes said the accident occurred as a state trooper drove Corzine, who was in the front passenger seat, and an aide, who was in the back, north on the parkway in a Chevy Tahoe after a meeting in Atlantic City.

Fuentes said "a red pickup driving erratically on the right shoulder suddenly swerved onto the roadway," forcing a white pickup into an "evasive maneuver" that took it into Corzine's path.

He said the trooper tried to avoid the white truck, but the Tahoe was sideswiped, sent into a spin and hit a guardrail on the passenger's side.

The SUV stopped with its front on debris-littered grass and its rear end over the top of the rail.

Bobby Juska of Lanoka Harbor, N.J., said Corzine's legs were hanging out the window after the crash and the governor was screaming, "My leg! My leg!"

Corzine, the ex-chairman and CEO of investment giant Goldman Sachs and a former U.S. senator, usually does not wear a seat belt. Fuentes said it was unclear if he wore one yesterday.

Corzine's driver, Trooper Robert Rasinski, suffered what were believed to be minor injuries. He was also being treated at Cooper University Hospital.

The aide, Samantha Gordon, 25, did not require hospitalization and was "all right," her brother said from their Prince.ton home.

Police said the driver who caused the accident fled and troopers were looking for him last night.

With Kerry Burke and News Wire Services

Link (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/04/13/2007-04-13_corzine_injured_in_car_crash.html)

Guitar Shark
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Corzine, the ex-chairman and CEO of investment giant Goldman Sachs and a former U.S. senator, usually does not wear a seat belt. Fuentes said it was unclear if he wore one yesterday.

Fucking dumbass. Good example he's setting there...

FORD
04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Fucking dumbass. Good example he's setting there...

From the picture above, the wreck doesn't look that devastating, and both the trooper and the aide escaped with minor injuries.

Sounds like a seatbelt might have helped in this case.

knuckleboner
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
why does don imus hate new jersey?

BigBadBrian
04-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by FORD
From the picture above, the wreck doesn't look that devastating, and both the trooper and the aide escaped with minor injuries.

Sounds like a seatbelt might have helped in this case.

The state trooper driving the vehicle should be the one to ticket his ass for riding in the front passenger seat without a belt.

:D

Guitar Shark
04-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
The state trooper driving the vehicle should be the one to ticket his ass for riding in the front passenger seat without a belt.

:D

Actually, I think it's usually the driver who gets ticketed if he allows one of his passengers to ride in the car without a seat belt.

But you're right, that would be pretty funny.

Nickdfresh
04-14-2007, 06:53 AM
"Fuentes said "a red pickup driving erratically on the right shoulder suddenly swerved onto the roadway," forcing a white pickup into an "evasive maneuver" that took it into Corzine's path."

I've had this happen to me. Fortunately I was playing the part of the "white pickup" and not one was to the left of me. But I had a pickup run out form the shoulder right in front of me.

I almost followed him....

And I was wearing my seatbelt. I don't always, on short trips. But anyone that gets on a New Jersey highway with no seatbelt on is just a complete dolt...

ELVIS
04-14-2007, 07:40 AM
How is it Imus' fault ??

If you want to play that game, I say it's Sharpton's fault...

:elvis:

FORD
04-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
How is it Imus' fault ??

Was Sharpton going to be at the meeting at the Governor's mansion??

I was obviously joking.

It was Chimpy's fault of course. ;)

hideyoursheep
04-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
How is it Imus' fault ??

EDDIE DID IT!

FORD
04-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
EDDIE DID IT!

Was he the drunk driver that ran 'em off the road?

And what the Hell was he doing in Jersey?

PlexiBrown
04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
I lived in NJ for 43 years. The powers that be really enforce the seatbelt law in NJ and this clown doesn't think he needs to wear his.

hankster
04-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Actually, I think it's usually the driver who gets ticketed if he allows one of his passengers to ride in the car without a seat belt.

But you're right, that would be pretty funny.

If the person who is in violation of the law is over 18, then that violator gets the ticket reguardless of the operator. I know from past experience in NJ, I was riding in a car where the driver and the passenger in the front of the car weren't wearing any seat belts and they were both ticketed. I was given a stern warning and explanation of the law from a very nice State Trooper