PDA

View Full Version : If you think Steve Vai sucks...

Kilkmaru
04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
...Then you suck!

Kilkmaru
04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
http://www.zappa.com/zpz/videos.html

chi-town324
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
yea his solo albums sold millions

Diamondjimi
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324
yea his solo albums sold millions

He's sold his share. He moved 100,000 copies of "Flexable" before signing to a major label. Not too shabby.

Vai is downright scary on the geetar !

Terry
04-15-2007, 08:05 PM
A very talented player with the technical ability to express probably just about anything he wants to on the guitar, yet does little to nothing for me these days.

Sure, my jaw dropped when I first heard his stuff in the 1980s. As a guitar player, I can totally appreciate what he does.

What is remembered in the long-haul is the SONGS, and in the songwriting ability department he hasn't come up with much that is memorable.

DrMaddVibe
04-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Good enough to play with Frank Zappa...legendary status to me!

chi-town324
04-15-2007, 08:21 PM
just never cared for his style..talented yes

rustoffa
04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
IMHO, he and Satriani both owe alot to Jeff Beck. Therefore, being mentioned in the same sentence with Jeff Beck gives them instant credibility. Not that they need credibility...they've both earned that based on talent alone. But every so often? Highway Jam rolls across the playlist, and you go, "Fuck, I think some extremely talented guiatrists are thankful that Jeff Beck exists!"

Terry
04-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
IMHO, he and Satriani both owe alot to Jeff Beck. Therefore, being mentioned in the same sentence with Jeff Beck gives them instant credibility. Not that they need credibility...they've both earned that based on talent alone. But every so often? Highway Jam rolls across the playlist, and you go, "Fuck, I think some extremely talented guiatrists are thankful that Jeff Beck exists!"

What it takes Vai and Satriani 3,000 notes to say, Beck can do in three.

DeadOrAlive
04-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Steve Vai is talented, but couldn't write a good song in his solo career to save his life. His material with Dave was great, but then again he was working with a genious.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-16-2007, 09:26 AM
I think he's a technically GRATE player, but he doesn't play with much soul.

Also, he has no idea aboot how to fit a solo in a song, he's just all aboot showing off and not how to compliment the song with a solo (hence, "Big Trouble", the solo in that has always seemed out of place to me).

I've got 4 or 5 of his solo albums. They're decnt enough (quite like "Sex and Religion"), but on the whole, all he has is fast fingers.

PlexiBrown
04-16-2007, 09:32 AM
You can tell that Vai practiced 10 hours a day for a lot of years but his playing is very annoying to my ears. I bought one of his CD's once. I think it was called Passion and Warfare. I couldn't make it through the whole CD. I have not listened to it again since. I also can't handle all of his posing and all of those forced facial expressions he makes when he plays.

bueno bob
04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Steve Vai is talented, but couldn't write a good song in his solo career to save his life. His material with Dave was great, but then again he was working with a genious.

Ditto. Honestly the only Steve Vai album I've ever heard that I can honestly stand listening to him on (repeatedly) is Alcatrazz's "Disturbing the Peace". EEAS, Skyscraper, Whitesnake, solo...with the bands, he's OK, but I've never been "into him" as a guitarist...

theicecreamman
04-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Vai is amazing. I can't wait to buy his upcoming releases Sound Theories (also known as Aching Hunger bootleg). It should be out soon.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by PlexiBrown
You can tell that Vai practiced 10 hours a day for a lot of years but his playing is very annoying to my ears. I bought one of his CD's once. I think it was called Passion and Warfare. I couldn't make it through the whole CD. I have not listened to it again since. I also can't handle all of his posing and all of those forced facial expressions he makes when he plays.

my little brother (pete) hates the fact he's always posing his nipples. "make sure ya see my nipples!"

i liked the compilation album 7 or 7songs, all his "ballad" tunes track 7 from each album. smoke some kgb and kick back in the pool with the wife. life is good

Hardrock69
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
If I never hear him again it won't bother me.

Sure he is technically amazing and can write some interesting cosmic noodle-glop, but it has gotten pretty old.

At his live shows, I find myelf wishing I was somewhere else about 30-40 minutes into the performance, then actually acting on that desire.

Same with Ygor Fatsteen.

One-trick pony.

Blazingly and perfectly fast.

Yadda yadda yadda.

I saw them each several times in different venues from clubs to arenas.

I don't need to see them anymore, nor really even listen to their music, as they will bring nothing new to the table.
:rolleyes:

Hardrock69
04-16-2007, 11:08 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ydcp6z_qAnY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ydcp6z_qAnY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Shaun Ponsonby
04-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Sure he is technically amazing and can write some interesting cosmic noodle-glop, but it has gotten pretty old.

At his live shows, I find myelf wishing I was somewhere else about 30-40 minutes into the performance, then actually acting on that desire.

I don't need to see them anymore, nor really even listen to their music, as they will bring nothing new to the table.

Exactly, exactly.

binnie
04-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Same with Ygor Fatsteen.

One-trick pony.

Blazingly and perfectly fast.

Yadda yadda yadda.

I saw them each several times in different venues from clubs to arenas.

Same with me actually. I love "Passion and Warfare", but after that he really doesn't do much for me..

rustoffa
04-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Terry
What it takes Vai and Satriani 3,000 notes to say, Beck can do in three.

Ronnie Wood: "Recording with Jeff is a tough gig for anyone. Look what it did to Stewies' hair.....and mine!!!"
:lol:

Loons The Great
04-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Jack Butler from Memphis?