PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin introduced, promises to restore Giants' pride

Sarge
01-07-2004, 05:55 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6987291

Coughlin introduced, promises to restore Giants' pride
Jan. 7, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eleven years after they first courted him, the New York Giants finally introduced Tom Coughlin as their coach.

Advertisement

"It really struck me from an emotional standpoint how very deep my emotions go toward this position and this particular franchise," Coughlin said at a news conference Wednesday, a day after signing a four-year, $12 million contract.

Coughlin succeeds Jim Fassel, who was fired following a season that began with Super Bowl expectations and ended with the team's worst season (4-12) in two decades.

A former Giants receivers coach under Bill Parcells, Coughlin promised to bring back the brand of football that led New York to two Super Bowls under his mentor.

"What we must be all about now is the restoration of pride, of self pride, of team pride, the restoration of our professionalism and the dignity with which we conduct our business," the 57-year-Coughlin said.

"We must restore our belief in the process by which we will win, and we must replace despair with hope and return the energy and passion to New York Giants football," the former Jacksonville Jaguars coach said.

A business-like Tom Coughlin was able to crack a smile at his introduction Wednesday.(AP)
A no-nonsense coach, Coughlin said the Giants must eliminate turnovers and costly penalties, which hurt the team badly last season.

"I believe the young men who represent the New York Giants want strong leadership," Coughlin said. "They want clear and stated objectives. They want superb detail and organization and discipline which provides us all with the confidence to win."

John Mara, the Giants' executive vice president, was convinced Coughlin was the right man for the job after his second interview on Monday.

"We like what his vision is, what his football philosophy is," John Mara said. "We like the passion he brings to the game. I go back to the old (former Giants general manager) George Young attitude in looking for a head coach, you want someone with a high energy level and with something to prove."

Coughlin has both. The energy level was obvious in the strength of his voice and the determination with which he spoke. It was almost as if this was a talk at a team meeting.

He also has something to prove after being fired after the 2002 season, his third straight in Jacksonville. He had a 72-64 record in eight seasons with the Jaguars, twice leading them to the AFC title game.

Coughlin stressed the key to winning is at the line of scrimmage.

Center Chris Bober thought Coughlin would be a good fit after a mistake- and injury-marred season.

"I heard he likes to run a ball-control, smash-mouth style of football and, as a lineman, that's exciting," said Bober, eligible to become a free agent in March. "I hope I can be a part of it."

The Giants finished the season with an eight-game losing streak, but the downward spiral started early in the season, when New York gave away wins against Dallas and Philadelphia with last-minute mistakes.

"The hiring of coach Coughlin signals a new chapter for the Giants and for my career," defensive end Michael Strahan said. "I'm already looking forward to getting ready for next season and working to reach the goal we've set for the team of winning a championship."

Coughlin was the only candidate granted a second interview for the opening created when Fassel was fired Dec. 17. Fassel was allowed to coach the final two games.

New England Patriots coordinators Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis, and St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith also were interviewed.

Crennel and Smith are black, and the Giants have never had a black head coach. Of the last 11 Giants coaches, eight have been former assistants with the team.

The Giants offered Coughlin their head-coaching job in 1993 after firing Ray Handley. Coughlin turned it down, saying he wanted to complete a rebuilding program he started at Boston College.

Coughlin said he's changed a little in his year away from football and is willing to accept not having total control off the field.

Longtime Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell recently said his experience with Coughlin wasn't all that bad. The two frequently were at odds.

"He was a tough coach, a demanding coach, but he knew what he wanted," Brunell said. "And his bottom line was always figuring out a way to win."

Troy
01-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Isn't this guy a big control freak??? I remember people saying in Jacksonville that he should've let others call the plays.

Flash Bastard
01-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Hmmmmmmmm..........

Va Beach VH Fan
01-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Coughlin knows where to go to get the best coaches....

Just three days after being fired by the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tim Lewis is back in the NFL. New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin made the veteran assistant the first hire for his new staff on Friday.

Lewis, 42, will be the Giants' defensive coordinator, the same position he held the past four seasons with the Steelers. He interviewed Thursday for five hours with Coughlin and Giants officials, was said to have been very impressive, and was offered a contract. He returned home to Pittsburgh on Thursday night to discuss the opportunity with his wife, and accepted the deal Friday afternoon.

The New York Jets had also been interested in hiring Lewis to fill their coordinator spot, a vacancy that was created when coach Herm Edwards fired Ted Cottrell.

Details of the Lewis contract were not immediately available.

There is little doubt, though, that Coughlin coveted Lewis as his initial hire. As he was riding to the press conference at which he was announced as the Giants' new head coach, Coughlin noticed a newspaper story reporting that Lewis had been fired in Pittsburgh. He told a companion he had to get in touch with Lewis quickly, because he knew Lewis would be a hot commodity on the open market.

In four seasons as the Steelers coordinator, Lewis never had a unit rank lower than ninth statistically in overall defense, and that was this past season. Pittsburgh was seventh two times under Lewis, in 2000 and 2002, and rated No. 1 in 2001.

"Tim Lewis is a very impressive young coordinator and play-caller," said Coughlin, who actually attempted to recruit Lewis out of high school. "His presentation when I met with him yesterday was outstanding. He has had great success over the last four years, and I have watched him develop because we competed in the same division. His style will establish toughness and an aggressive style of play."

He originally joined the Steelers staff in 1995, as the defensive backs coach, a position he held for five years before being promoted to coordinator.

Lewis began his coaching career in 1987 at Texas A&M under head coach Jackie Sherrill, who had been his coach at the University of Pittsburgh. He then coached the defensive backs at Southern Methodist from 1989-92, followed by a stint at his alma mater (1993-94).

Lewis was a standout player at Pittsburgh and with the Green Bay Packers, though his career was cut short by injury. He played at Pittsburgh from 1979-82, and was a starting cornerback his final two seasons. Lewis was named an NEA All-America in 1982 and was named the Defensive MVP of both the Senior Bowl and the East-West Shrine games following his senior season. He received an economics degree from Pittsburgh in 1983.

In 1983, the Packers chose Lewis with the 11th overall selection in the NFL draft. Lewis played 52 games for the Packers, twice led or shared the team lead in interceptions and finished his career with 16 picks. His 99-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Rams in 1984 is still the Packers' team record.

But in the third game of the 1986 season, a Monday night contest against the Chicago Bears in Lambeau Field, Lewis suffered a career-ending neck injury. He began his coaching career the following year.

Lou
01-10-2004, 03:57 AM
I think Coughlin will be a fine coach. But Kerry Collins AND Tiki Barber have got to go if you're a Giants fan. If I were running the Giants I'd absolutely draft a QB in the high rounds. I'd also flat-out cut Tiki Barber or trade him for whatever draft pick you could get, because he was an absolute joke last year. He had way more fumbles than TD's and he just wasn't explosive like he used to be. I think you can pretty much stick a fork in him, he's done being a featured back.