PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone: "40 Songs That Changed The World"

FORD
04-21-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.rollingstoneextras.com/patron40songs/images/siteList.gif

Can't really argue with most of the choices. Even the ones I don't like.

Exceptions - the last two. I really don't think Titney Spears or the White Stripes changed shit - except for demonstrating that corporatist labels now completely push image over talent.

The_KiD
04-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow.. Pretty interesting list. Nice find.

KiD

Unchainme
04-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Wheres Van Halen?

ThrillsNSpills
04-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Safe to say Baby One more Time was not our proudest moment in the history of recorded arts. :)

Shaun Ponsonby
04-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Yea, I would say that was pretty accurate.

Although, I would put something in to represent prog.

SA ME WHO
04-21-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't know about the White Stripes, but unfortunately, Britney did usher in the teenage girl pop star era that, along with Latin music, dominated much of the very late 90's/early 00's music scene.

So, as much as I hated it, I kind of have to agree with that pick.

I agree with most of the choices too (a couple I'm just not familiar enough with to make an informed decision). But, I'd like to look this up, article-wise, and see their rationale for not only the choices, but also their positioning. Might make things a little more/less debatable.

Terry
04-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Not off the mark as they usually are, agreed, although I personally couldn't give a shit about #s 38-40.

DLRdelight!
04-21-2007, 05:49 PM
just like rollingstone to include no van halen

smithcreww
04-21-2007, 08:38 PM
great post! the world has definitely changed for the better since music has come into society.

DrMaddVibe
04-21-2007, 09:25 PM
That list is a joke!

Louie,Louie? LOL!

The Boss? LMAO!

Donna Summer? LMMFAO!

Sugarhill Gang? C'mon!

Michael Jackson? White or Black?

RunDMC and Aerosmtith(sic)? Well, they got the tit part right!

Britney Spears? Vomit!

Any musical list that has Dre and Led Zeppelin in the top 50...you know some asshole wrote it.

FORD
04-21-2007, 10:34 PM
You don't think ZEPPELIN belongs on the list, AssVibe??

Who would you put in their place?

And remember, this list is ranked not in order of importance, but chronologically. so if you deleted Zep, who deserves to take their place and time on the list?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
04-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Sabbath?

PumpedUpMidget
04-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Bob Dylan and The Ramones???? What a joke...both of them suck big time

(Unchainme--you forgot the Cleveland Crusaders on your list)

MAPRamone
04-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
That list is a joke!

Louie,Louie? LOL!

The Boss? LMAO!

Donna Summer? LMMFAO!

Sugarhill Gang? C'mon!

Michael Jackson? White or Black?

RunDMC and Aerosmtith(sic)? Well, they got the tit part right!

Britney Spears? Vomit!

Any musical list that has Dre and Led Zeppelin in the top 50...you know some asshole wrote it.

Louie Louie is one of the most if not THE most covered tunes of all time, definitely deserves a spot. Donna Summer? I don't get that one either. Sugarhill Gang had the first big rap hit in history with Rapper's Delight. Billie Jean? A massive hit from the biggest selling album of all time.

Panamark
04-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
I'm looking at slots 27 through 36 and thinking Metallica should be in there somewhere.

Yeah, not much real metal representation there..
I was thinking the same thing.

mako_kimura
04-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Well, I don't think there's really any metal songs or bands that are really World changing, so the list still works. I'll have to go with most of em, except #'s 38-40 and Black Flag, mostly because I haven't the slightest clue what Black Flag ever changed

fe_lung
04-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Safe to say Baby One more Time was not our proudest moment in the history of recorded arts. :)

But it did launch that whole teen pop movement.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by PumpedUpMidget
Bob Dylan and The Ramones???? What a joke...both of them suck big time

(Unchainme--you forgot the Cleveland Crusaders on your list)

Whether you like them or not, to deny their impact is ignorant and plain stupid.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2007, 09:41 AM
That list is a joke!

Louie,Louie?
- So many people have covered that song, so it obviously had a major impact

The Boss?
- Like it or not, "Born To Run" was a massive album.

Donna Summer?
- "I Feel Love" practically started disco. Whether you like disco or not, it was a huge movement at the time.

Michael Jackson?
- I think the biggest selling solo artist of all time with biggest selling album of all time deserves to be represented

RunDMC and Aerosmtith(sic)?
- Brought rap into the mainstream

Britney Spears?
- A Lot of people copied her after that video, a lot of teeny-boppy people like her came through

Led Zeppelin - I've never really been a Led Zep fan, but you can't deny their impact. An important band, even if I personally have never considered them a GRATE one.

This list isn't the 50 greatest songs ever, its 50 important songs. 50 songs that influenced people, for better or for worse. So, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Sorry to have to point that out to you.

DrMaddVibe
04-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by FORD
You don't think ZEPPELIN belongs on the list, AssVibe??

Who would you put in their place?

And remember, this list is ranked not in order of importance, but chronologically. so if you deleted Zep, who deserves to take their place and time on the list?

Fuckwit...stay with me here...Dre doesn't belong with Led Zeppelin!

Then again, YOU liked the fucking list!:confused:

PumpedUpMidget
04-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Whether you like them or not, to deny their impact is ignorant and plain stupid.

And what impact would that be? The only thing that is plain stupid, is that Rolling Stone put it out, and everyone knows how relevant a Rolling Stone 'list' is...

jharp84
04-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Rolling Stone hates classic rock/metal! Fuck the stripes and Britney! However, the director's cut unrated VIDEO of baby one more time might make a list!!!!!!

bantonelli
04-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SA ME WHO
I don't know about the White Stripes, but unfortunately, Britney did usher in the teenage girl pop star era that, along with Latin music, dominated much of the very late 90's/early 00's music scene.

So, as much as I hated it, I kind of have to agree with that pick.

I agree with most of the choices too (a couple I'm Ijust not familiar enough with to make an informed decision). But, I'd like to look this up, article-wise, and see their rationale for not only the choices, but also their positioning. Might make things a little more/less debatable.

Britney did shit. She is a copy-cat wanna be Madonna, who with "Like a Virgin" at the same age as Britney pioneered what Britney copied. Spears' song did nothing for Rock n' Roll.

I would also argue that Van Halen's Runnin' with the Devil changed Rock whereas GNR was a band that was inspired by VH.

I heard this list on the radio and laughed. Yes, most of the choices are true, with the exception of the few I mentioned that have no value in this category.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
And what impact would that be? The only thing that is plain stupid, is that Rolling Stone put it out, and everyone knows how relevant a Rolling Stone 'list' is...

How many singer-songwriters have been inspired by Dylan?

How many punk bands have been inspired by the Ramones?

I hate the Ramones myself, and never really liked punk either, but to deny these bands impact is cuntpletely stupid.

fe_lung
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Was this list compiled by Rolling Stone or the tequila company?

cMb
04-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Teen pop has been around since the Beatles, Bay city Rollers etc... Britney didn't change anything. Neither did Madonna. Just because they sold boat-loads of records doesn't necessarily mean they changed anything. They were just writing & performing great pop songs, nothing world changing about that. If you are going to put Britney on here, you may as well add Nsync or the Backstreet Boys.

NWA 'Straight Outta Compton' or 'Fuck the Police' should be recognized as one of the most influential rap (or any genre) songs ever. Dre infused more melody later on with his solo work, but it wasn't particulary 'world changing' at that point.

VH, Sabbath, Stevie Wonder, Bee Gees, Metallica & Beastie Boys should be represented in here somewhere.

White Stripes, Britney, GNR, The Cure, Madonna, U2, Joni Mitchell or Velvet Underground really never 'changed the world', did they?

fe_lung
04-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by cMb

White Stripes, Britney, GNR, The Cure, Madonna, U2, Joni Mitchell or Velvet Underground really never 'changed the world', did they?

VU? Absolutely
U2 and The Cure? Oft immitated
Joni? Not familiar, but I'm gonna go with yes
Madonna? A huge force in the last 25 years of music
Stirpes - re launced the garage rock thing, but time will tell about their legacy
GNR - the bridge between pompous hair metal of the 80's and 90's alt rock.
Briney - one of the first superstars of the last teen pop movement (though I think I'd give Hanson or Backdoor Boys the "credit" first.

DeadMan1984
04-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Ok where's Eruption, Black Sabbath, and Master of Puppets? Those 3 songs changed music more than Baby 1 More Time, Fell in Love with a Girl, or TV Party.

PumpedUpMidget
04-22-2007, 07:10 PM
How many singer-songwriters have been inspired by Dylan?

How many punk bands have been inspired by the Ramones?

I hate the Ramones myself, and never really liked punk either, but to deny these bands impact is cuntpletely stupid.

I do not know of any acts inspired by either Dylan or the inbred fucks known as the Ramones....And so since you disagree with me, I am stupid? Coming from an 18 year old.......

BALLYJUNKIE
04-23-2007, 05:40 AM
" RAPPERS DELIGHT ,THATS A JOKE RIGHT ? RAPPERS DELIGHT WAS A SAMPLE OF " GOOD TIMES BY CHIC ,NOT THE LAME SUGERHILL GANG ..... THE 1ST RAP SONG WAS SAMPLED (RIPPED OFF ) AND THOSE LAME RAPPERS HAVENT STOPPED SINCE !!!!

jero
04-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
" AND THOSE LAME RAPPERS HAVENT STOPPED SINCE !!!!

It's a shame.....

FORD
04-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Well, that's not the way it looked when you wrote it.

But again, this list isn't comparing Led Zeppelin to Dre or anyone to anyone else. It's a chronological list, starting in 1954, and continuing to the present decade.

Is the list perfect? Fuck no. I doubt it could be. I don't think anyone is going to agree completely with someone else's list of 40 songs that changed the world.

Van HALEN definitely belongs on the list. And I probably would replace Black Flag with Metallica, even though I love Black Flag. And as far as Dre goes, I would say the NWA "Straight Outa Compton" album had much more of an impact than Dre's solo album "The Chronic" did.

Add Black Sabbath in at their relevant position in the list and we can get Titney and the White Stripes out of there.

FORD
04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
" RAPPERS DELIGHT ,THATS A JOKE RIGHT ? RAPPERS DELIGHT WAS A SAMPLE OF " GOOD TIMES BY CHIC ,NOT THE LAME SUGERHILL GANG ..... THE 1ST RAP SONG WAS SAMPLED (RIPPED OFF ) AND THOSE LAME RAPPERS HAVENT STOPPED SINCE !!!!

There ya go..... Like I said, you don't have to LIKE the impact that the songs had, but you just admitted that it DID have an impact. ;)

FORD
04-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I do not know of any acts inspired by either Dylan or the inbred fucks known as the Ramones....And so since you disagree with me, I am stupid? Coming from an 18 year old.......

You gotta be kidding!

Dylan influenced an entire generation of songwriters, not the least of which was one John Lennon. The Byrds and Hendrix had bigger hits with his songs than he did. Dylan's singing voice is an "acquired taste", but you can't knock him as a lyricist.

As for the Ramones, again far more influential than their record sales would have you believe. Millions may not have bought their albums, but a lot of those who did buy them, formed their own bands. Starting with all the English kids who saw them in 1976, on up to more current bands like Green Day and The Donnas.

You don't have to like 'em, but you can't deny the impact. Shit, I can't stand Michael Jackson, but that don't mean I can pretend "Thriller" didn't sell 40 million copies. (Let alone the role of one Edward Van Halen in that horrible album)

Shaun Ponsonby
04-23-2007, 01:20 PM

I said it was stupid and ignorant to deny a band's/artists influence just because you're personal preference doesn't include them.

I'm pretty sure if a 65 year old said to you "Van Halen don't deserve to be in such a list because they suck" you would say something along the same lines.

And what the fuck has my age got to do with it anyways?

Maybe you're just like all the other ignorant, senile old people in the world.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Shit, I can't stand Michael Jackson, but that don't mean I can pretend "Thriller" didn't sell 40 million copies. (Let alone the role of one Edward Van Halen in that horrible album)

I think thats doubled now, since all the reissues and what-not.

SA ME WHO
04-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
Britney did shit. She is a copy-cat wanna be Madonna, who with "Like a Virgin" at the same age as Britney pioneered what Britney copied. Spears' song did nothing for Rock n' Roll.

I would also argue that Van Halen's Runnin' with the Devil changed Rock whereas GNR was a band that was inspired by VH.

I heard this list on the radio and laughed. Yes, most of the choices are true, with the exception of the few I mentioned that have no value in this category.

While I'll be happy to agree about Brit revamping the early Madonna schtick, the fact remains that, whether it be timing or what not, come Britney's break, that whole little-girl-wannabe-adult time period of music permeated all major music markets and let to the onslaught of even less talented females to try their hand at it because they too could afford to buy a fake rack over which boys would drool.

While I find it holds no musical merit whatsoever, I have to say that in the musical landscape, for that time period, it does hold some amount of groundbreaking importance. Which, from what I understand, is what they were judging upon.

(I too find little merit in all RS lists. But, I do have to say that this one is pretty spot on in comparison to how far off other lists were.

Terry
04-23-2007, 03:23 PM

" Fuckwit "

hee hee

Terry
04-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Thought most of the rap put out until about 1991 or so was tolerable, but the shit sliding down the pipe the last ten years or so does nada for me.

Yes, yes, I get it. You pump your pimped hoes while keeping it real making your bling and I won't be looking at you less'n you buss a cap in my ass, be-yawch!:rolleyes: Lovely.

BITEYOASS
04-23-2007, 05:19 PM
So some Elvis song I've never heard of is No. 1; "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts club band", "All you need is love" or some other more worthy Beatles songs aren't even on there; BoRap isn't higher; no "Stairway to Heaven"; no MC5; and worst of all NO VAN HALEN WTF?!?! :MAD:

BITEYOASS
04-23-2007, 05:19 PM
:mad:

PumpedUpMidget
04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I said it was stupid and ignorant to deny a band's/artists influence just because you're personal preference doesn't include them.

I'm pretty sure if a 65 year old said to you "Van Halen don't deserve to be in such a list because they suck" you would say something along the same lines.

And what the fuck has my age got to do with it anyways?

Maybe you're just like all the other ignorant, senile old people in the world.

You know, I have never had any kind of beef with you, I have always thought of you as a cool dude (Wasn't it you that came up with "Napalm Up Yo Ass"?)--I just do not appreciate being called either stupid or senile--Living in Minnesota, I have heard about Dylan my whole life, and like Ford said, he is an acquired taste (Fortunately, not mine), and as far as the Ramones go, the Clash were vastly superior in my mind.....

DeadMan1984
04-23-2007, 08:19 PM
You gotta be kidding!

Dylan influenced an entire generation of songwriters, not the least of which was one John Lennon. The Byrds and Hendrix had bigger hits with his songs than he did. Dylan's singing voice is an "acquired taste", but you can't knock him as a lyricist.

As for the Ramones, again far more influential than their record sales would have you believe. Millions may not have bought their albums, but a lot of those who did buy them, formed their own bands. Starting with all the English kids who saw them in 1976, on up to more current bands like Green Day and The Donnas.

You don't have to like 'em, but you can't deny the impact. Shit, I can't stand Michael Jackson, but that don't mean I can pretend "Thriller" didn't sell 40 million copies. (Let alone the role of one Edward Van Halen in that horrible album)

Calling Thriller horrible is just as bad as calling Van Halen I horrible.

FORD
04-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DeadMan1984

No it isn't.

Combat Ready
04-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by DeadMan1984

Umm....Nope---Calling Thriller horrible is accurate and calling Van Halen 1 horrible is idiotic.

SA ME WHO
04-24-2007, 12:39 AM
What it appears to me, which means nothing (I realize that), is that some people are talking about how much they like or dislike a song.

This isn't asking what song is the most popular or likable, it's which song were the most influential, in terms of changing the world (of music, I assume, more specifically). While I disagree with the White Stripes and don't know enough about a couple songs to dispute them, I think most of the songs have pretty decent merit to be in the list.

I agree there are some that deserve to be there and aren't there. I also question the logic (implied by myself or other readers) used to place some of the songs on here. But, I hope like or dislike of a song isn't coloring anyone's opinion toward it being on this list. If criteria used to place it here is used to disprove it, fine. Like or dislike, not so.

pflo
04-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Rolling Stone is irrelevant , and has been since 1980. Pay it no mind.

Loons The Great
04-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by pflo
pfwo is irrelevant , and has been since 1980. Pay it no mind.

Nah you talkin'!!

pflo
04-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Blind Lemon Loons is also irrellevant. ......

Loons The Great
04-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Shut up you insignificunt little fuck bastardo.

pflo
04-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
I fuck birds! Loons have the tightest twats! Better than ducks even! They dont tell anyone what I did to them because they have beaks. Thats just disgusting..for shame...

Loons The Great
04-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Thats just disgusting..for shame...

Little alias bitch. To chicken to post under your real name? Chickenshit douchebag.

What a worthless, sick bastid you are. Sho' 'Nuff.

FORD
04-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
So some Elvis song I've never heard of is No. 1

You serious??

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yFZLXVZkkbg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yFZLXVZkkbg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Loons The Great
04-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Awww, sing it Arthur Crudup!!:D

Shaun Ponsonby
04-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
So some Elvis song I've never heard of is No. 1; "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts club band", "All you need is love" or some other more worthy Beatles songs aren't even on there; BoRap isn't higher; no "Stairway to Heaven"; no MC5; and worst of all NO VAN HALEN WTF?!?! :MAD:

Its in chronological order, not order of importance.

Vinnie Velvet
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
CVH and Sabbath should be on this list.

CVH changed the way guitar players played-- fuck it changed the way SONGS were played.

And Sabbath made way for a new sound -- distinct from Zeppelin -- METAL.

And those are good enough to say that they too changed the world.

pflo
04-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Little alias bitch. To chicken to post under your real name? Chickenshit douchebag.

What a worthless, sick bastid you are. Sho' 'Nuff. And your name is "Loons the Great" ? Or is THAT an alias? Momma didnt like you much, huh? 100 years old and black. Issues......:monekyl:

Loons The Great
04-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by pslo
And your name is "Loons the Great" ? Or is THAT an alias? Momma didnt like you much, huh? 100 years old and black. Issues......:monekyl:

Is yer name pflo? Is that French for fuckstain?

"Momma didn't like me much, huh?" We gotta God damn Sigmund Fucking Freud here!!

I'm not really 100 years old, idiot. It's a state of mind/triflin' pieces of trash like you make me feel 100.

When did I say I was black? I guess because I'm a blues fan that means I'm saying I'm black? Wrong.

Was your mattress down at the shelter a lil' too lumpy for you?

pflo
04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Its Paul Floyd. Pflo. Get it?? How many people here post their real names?? EVERYONE has an alias....thats how its done, dipshit, whats yer problem? Whats your name? Care to step up? A friendly tip for ya- THINKING youre great does NOT make you great..........:smilieci:

FORD
04-24-2007, 10:16 PM
pflag, get a life :rolleyes:

Loons The Great
04-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by pfwo
Its Paul Floyd. Pfwo. Get it?? How many people here post their real names?? EVERYONE has an alias....thats how its done, dipshit, whats yer problem? Whats your name? Care to step up? A friendly tip for ya- THINKING youre great does NOT make you great....

May your nose be plugged with smog and your leg humped by a dirty dog.

:smilieci:

Seshmeister
04-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Not really sure what 'Changed the world' means but I don't think that Sweet Child infuenced anyone very much.

And why 'When Dove's Cry'?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Its Paul Floyd. Pflo. Get it?? How many people here post their real names??

I do.

Wawazat
04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
THINKING youre great does NOT make you great..........

A theory you'll never have to worry about anyway.

Loons The Great
04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Wawazat
A theory you'll never have to worry about anyway.

LMAO!! 5 stars nah.

FORD
04-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Not really sure what 'Changed the world' means but I don't think that Sweet Child infuenced anyone very much.

And why 'When Dove's Cry'?

"Sweet Child" probably made the list because it was the first GnR single in the US. I don't think "When Doves Cry" is the best representation of Prince though. I would have went with "1999". Maybe even "Controversy".

Seshmeister
04-25-2007, 07:49 PM
But how did their first big single(Welcome to the Jungle was before that and in the UK at least 'It's so Easy' was their 1st) change the world?

GNR were very big but I don't think they influenced much they were just the culmination of what had went before in the LA scene.

I know this is a pointless argument but Rolling Stone journalists really should know what the hell they are talking about.

Seshmeister
04-25-2007, 07:54 PM
That all said I think the biggest ommision is Sabbath.

You could argue they invented Heavy Metal and they were hugely influential for all the thrash, death, Nu, and generally upset metal I don't like much that came after.