PDA

View Full Version : Deep Purple/Styx/Thin Lizzy in Manchester

Shaun Ponsonby
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Its funny...3 classic bands (and I mean classic bands) and not a classic line up in sight. Had it been possible for all 3 bands to have been on a bill together in their heyday, I'm pretty sure this would have been in a stadium.

Ah, well, it was good entertainment anyways.

The opening band was (quote-on-quote) "THIN LIZZY". Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott is like Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott. It's just not Thin Lizzy. And you had that feeling watching them. In fact, there were more members of Whitesnake on stage than there was Thin Lizzy (John Sykes, Tommy Aldridge and Marco Mendoza). I was half expecting David Coverdale to come onstage.

However, they did play well. They were good as a support act, even if they were a bit quiet. They were actually better than I thought they would be, probably because everybody in the building knew the songs. The opening trio was "Jailbreak", "Waiting For An Alibi" and "Don't Believe A Word" for Gawd's sake (in fact, at times Sykes sounded like Lynott). They are doing a headlining tour in the winter. I don't know if I want to see them headline. I mean, they were really good, but there was something missing. The best way to view them is as the official Thin Lizzy tribute band. They shouldn't call themselves Thin Lizzy. Queen don't go out simply as "Queen", The Doors don't go out simply as "The Doors", Thin Lizzy shouldn't go out as simply "Thin Lizzy". I wonder how far they can go, cos they will never get away with new material.

Set List

Intro/Jailbreak
Waiting For An Alibi
Don't Believe A Word
Are You Ready?
Emerald
Cold Sweat
Suicide
Cowboy Song
The Boys Are Back In Town

STYX came next. I thought they were an odd choice to suppport Deep Purple at first, they're a bit more AOR. I've never been much of a fan. Did a few good tunes, but that's aboot it as far as I'm concerned. And the less said about "Babe" the better. However, I actually really enjoyed the set. Even if Tommy Sure reminds me of Hagar and some of their choreography during "Come Sail Away" was...I don't want to say gay...but, I'm left with very little choice.

I have no idea who was playing keyboards, but he was the most entertaining person on stage all night. Even more entertaining behind a keyboard than Keith Emerson (headstands and all). And longtime fans were thrilled when Chucky Panozzo walked out to play bass on several songs.

It must be said they're vocals were spot on, absolutley perfect harmonies, even if they are fucking full of themselves.

As I said, I'm not really a fan, so I can't name all the songs in the setlist. However, I can say they played Blue Collar Man, Miss America, Come Sail Away, Grand Illusion and Renegade, amongst others.

They went down well, though, in fact I started to doubt whether DEEP PURPLE could follow it. How do you follow Thin Lizzy's hits and Styx's hits? Easy-with Deep Purple's hits. Of course, the set wasn't perfect. For example, they didn't play all of "Machine Head", like they said they were, and I would have loved to have heard "Woman From Tokyo", "Speed King", "Flight of the Rat"etc, but, hey you can't have it all. They played excellently, and Gillan, although he looked worn out at the end of the set, sounded better than I have heard on bootlegs from the past few years.

All in all, they played well, had a kewl light show and some timeless songs to top it off.

Set List

Intro
Pictures of Home
Things I Never Said
The Battle Rages On
Strange Kind of a Woman
Rapture of the Deep
Fireball
Steve Morse Solo
When a Blind Man Cries
Lazy
Don Airey Solo
Space Truckin'
Highway Star
Smoke on the Water
---------------------------------
Hush/Ian Paice solo
Black Night (w/Roger Glover intro).

Overall, a GRATE night. It was hard to pick the best band. Styx went down almost as well as Deep Purple did, but the only time everybody in the arena was standing up was during Thin Lizzy. 3 sets of classic rock hits.

Not a bad night, really.

Viking
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Shit, nothing from Perfect Strangers, either. They left a lot of good shit off their setlist.

WACF
04-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Fuck...I'd go see Lizzy just to listen to John Sykes play.

There seems to be a on and off rumour of a Blue Murder tour.

binnie
04-24-2007, 02:32 AM
Great review SP, glad you had a good night.

The Thin Lizzy thing seems a little odd: do you like "Don't Believe A Word"? Seems like you were shocked by its inclusion in the set (or am I reading you incorrectly?)

One of my fav Lizzy songs....

Hardrock69
04-24-2007, 09:40 AM
I always laff hysterically when I hear that song....a rock musician talking to a groupie slut....

Don't believe me when I tell you
Especially when I tell you
That I'm in love with you....

:D

I agree...TL is dead. All that is left is a TL tribute band.

I woulda thought they woulda just toured with TL and DP and left Stynx off the bill.

But oh well.

Nice review!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Great review SP, glad you had a good night.

The Thin Lizzy thing seems a little odd: do you like "Don't Believe A Word"? Seems like you were shocked by its inclusion in the set (or am I reading you incorrectly?)

It was meant to be a good thing.

binnie
04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
It was meant to be a good thing.

Good, just checking!!

Glad you had a good night.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Viking
Shit, nothing from Perfect Strangers, either. They left a lot of good shit off their setlist.

I think they cut a song out for time. There was a point where Gillan sort of pointed at his watch between songs.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Good, just checking!!

Glad you had a good night.

So am I.

They're doing well, though, DP, considering 10 years ago they were having trouble selling oot the small-ish places.

Hardrock69
04-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Last time I saw them was the US DP/Scorpions/Dio tour.

Had front row seats, and it was an amazing show.....just a few months after Jon Lord announced he was retiring from DP, and Don Airey was on keyboards.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-24-2007, 05:58 PM
FUUUUCK.

Deep Purple are up there with The Stones with support acts making value for money.

I think their last UK tour was with Peter Frampton.

Terry
04-24-2007, 10:23 PM
That Lizzy set looks like it was really short...9 tunes?

Styx I can't be bothered with.

Odd setlist for Deep Purple...too many great songs left off for lesser ones, IMO, but good to hear Ian is singing well.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-25-2007, 04:24 AM
Lizzy had 40 minutes

Styx had about an hour (+ an encore, thankfully it wasn't "Babe")

Purple had about 90 minutes.

Wawazat
04-25-2007, 06:39 AM

My neighbors love it.

Well maybe not, but they know it oh so well.

Never do i hear them complain anyway :D

binnie
04-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Wawazat
My neighbors love it.

Well maybe not, but they know it oh so well.

Never do i hear them complain anyway :D

Ha!!

Annoying the neighbours is always good.

Mine love Machine Head at the moment: they keep banging on the wall, which I assume is a sign that they want me to turn it up!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Either that or they're holding somebody hostage.

Wawazat
04-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Ha!!

Annoying the neighbours is always good.

Mine love Machine Head at the moment: they keep banging on the wall, which I assume is a sign that they want me to turn it up!

Guess you're right, i just don't understand why you can even hear that banging noise ?

good album btw. like it!

TURN IT UP :killer:

Wawazat
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Either that or they're holding somebody hostage.

lmao

bueno bob
04-25-2007, 08:49 AM
I can't be troubled with a Ritchie Blackmore-less Deep Purple. Won't be troubled with it is probably more accurate. Love Ian Gillan, but without Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore to flesh it out, it ain't Purple.

Styx...what can I say...without Dennis DeYoung, they're fucking WORTHLESS musically. Live, studio, everything, they're completely incompetant and will never amount to fucking anything. In the years since Dennis has been removed, it's been firmly established that he was the key that made Styx work at all. Larry whatshisfuck on keyboards can fuck right back off to Canada for all I care. James Young has the biggest fucking ego on the planet, bar none - ego that makes Van Halen's combined ego look minimal in comparison.

Thin Lizzy was Phil, and without Phil, well - ain't Thin Lizzy. Fuck the rest of them.

All that being said, Purple seems to be the closest to a "real" band on the bill...and that doesn't say too much, unfortunately...

Heaven and Hell :rockit2: :)

binnie
04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Wawazat
Guess you're right, i just don't understand why you can even hear that banging noise ?

good album btw. like it!

TURN IT UP :killer:

It is a good one isn't it!

Angel
04-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I have no idea who was playing keyboards, but he was the most entertaining person on stage all night. Even more entertaining behind a keyboard than Keith Emerson (headstands and all).

That would be Canadian Larry Gowan on keyboards. :D

bueno bob
04-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Angel
That would be Canadian Larry Gowan on keyboards. :D

Ah yes! I may actually go to a Styx concert for the sole reason of throwing shit at him, James and Tommy...

Binky
04-29-2007, 02:55 AM
Dude! I was fucking there man! I was at the front with me fella at the barrier and I don't care what anyone says they all fucking rocked! Seriously, I have never been to a better gig. Deep Purple also rocked at Monsters of Rock last year, best live show! I may have seen you as well, where were you? I was the red-head with a skirt and biker jacket. *^_^* \m/

I also got a Thin Lizzy plectrum *cute smile*

Shaun Ponsonby
04-29-2007, 09:23 AM
I was up at the side. Block 114, Row R...I think.

Binky
04-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Sooooo, in a huge crowd then lol! *^_^* \m/

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Kinda. Good view though, not too far from the stage.

Hardrock69
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Here ya go Shaun..photos from the Bournemouth gig:

http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?ref=deep%20purple%20270407&version=int

A couple of samples:

http://photo.wenn.com/get_preview.php?id=1986366/1986366.jpg

http://photo.wenn.com/get_preview.php?id=1986337/1986337.jpg

Shaun Ponsonby
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
HA!

Thanks.

binnie
05-02-2007, 11:38 AM
There comes a point when people are too old to wear bandanas...

Shaun Ponsonby
05-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I think its to cover his lack of hairline

Coyote
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
There comes a point when people are too old to wear bandanas...

Shh! Don't tell that to the guy in Poison...