PDA

View Full Version : Why the Ched Rocker won't be voting for Hillary

FORD
04-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Senator Hillary Clinton Endorses 55 MPH Speed Limit
2008 Presidential contender Hillary Clinton endorses a return to the 55 MPH speed limit.

US Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) on Tuesday endorsed a return to the 55 MPH maximum speed limit for "most" of the country during a speech at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. Senator Clinton, who is leading in the polls for the Democratic nomination for president in 2008, responded to a question about whether she supported the Carter administration's national maximum speed limit.

"The 55 mile speed limit really does lower gas usage, and wherever it can be required and that people will accept it, we ought to do it," Clinton said.

The senator admitted that the move would be too unpopular to implement nationwide. "Well, there are just some parts of the country where that's just not going to happen," she said. "You know, where you've got miles of open, flat road."

"I mean, there are things that can be done. So maybe the trade off is, you know, most of the country where 55 miles an hour doesn't seem like a burden, we have that. In the rest of the country, inflate your tires before you head off into the sunset," Clinton concluded.

A newly elected Republican majority Congress repealed the national 55 MPH speed limit in 1995 over the objection of then-President Bill Clinton after groups like the National Motorists Association demonstrated the law's shortcomings as a "life-saving measure."

Well, I wasn't gonna vote for her anyway, but that fucking seals it!:mad:

Link
(http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/11/1148.asp)

Guitar Shark
04-24-2007, 02:21 PM
LOL. Who is advising her campaign? Seems like a stupid move if you ask me.

DLR'sCock
04-24-2007, 02:22 PM
That is a moronic move.

scamper
04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by FORD

"and that people will accept it, we ought to do it,"

Who's going to accept it?

FORD
04-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Who's going to accept it?

The same people who accept a right wing pandering corporatist AIPAC shill as a "Democratic" candidate in the first place?

Nickdfresh
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Idiotic. Just enforce the 65mph limit more stringently...

Coyote
04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
I wonder if Hilary realizes that she's a walking Monty Python-skit...

Nitro Express
04-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Holy hell. We can get off oil by using alternative fuels and electrici motors. We don't have to go back to driving Model T's at a creeping pace. It's fucking 2007! When I was a kid in the early 70's watching men go to the moon and the Jetsons, I thought we would be driving flying cars by now.

Fuck Hillary and her backward ways. Go back to Arkansas you hick! Ride a donkey.

Nitro Express
04-24-2007, 10:15 PM
We need another JFK with vision. I'm sure people thought the man was nuts saying we would put a man on the moon before the decade was out but we fucking did it.

We need leaders with vision. Not backward thinkers who only want to get in the way and slow us down.

We need a Manhattan Project level program geard at getting us off of oil. Where's the vision Hillary? Lighting the house with candles and riding a mule is not the answer. Fuck that!

scamper
04-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Is it still 65 in places?

FORD
04-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Is it still 65 in places?

Out here it's actually 60 in metropolitan areas. Which unfortunately is about an 80 mile stretch of I-5 here in the Puget Sound region. Of course the traffic is usually so bad that 60 is optimistic. 45 is more likely, in the good spots :(

It's 70 outside those areas. Don't see a 75 until you cross into the Mountain time zone.

FORD
04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
We need another JFK with vision. I'm sure people thought the man was nuts saying we would put a man on the moon before the decade was out but we fucking did it.

We need leaders with vision. Not backward thinkers who only want to get in the way and slow us down.

We need a Manhattan Project level program geard at getting us off of oil. Where's the vision Hillary? Lighting the house with candles and riding a mule is not the answer. Fuck that!

Makes you wonder where else we might have gone in the 60's, had we actually had the leadership of JFK through his natural 2 terms. The moon landing was accomplished despite the fact that LBJ and Nixon were obsessed with blowing up southeast Asia.

These stupid bastards in the White House can't see past their corporate donors. Maybe if China had developed the type of biofuel program that Brazil has, they would look at it as a "defense" matter and take it seriously.

bueno bob
04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Out here it's actually 60 in metropolitan areas. Which unfortunately is about an 80 mile stretch of I-5 here in the Puget Sound region. Of course the traffic is usually so bad that 60 is optimistic. 45 is more likely, in the good spots :(

It's 70 outside those areas. Don't see a 75 until you cross into the Mountain time zone.

I averaged 75-80 heading out to Salem over the last weekend. Traffic was surprisingly easy. I got 320 to a tank on the highway and inside city limits I'm lucky to see 230 or so (of course, I-5 being in decent shape out there helps a lot at those speeds, anyway).

That's a 90 mile difference right there - if it was dropped to 55 mph, I'd be right back at the 230 a tank mark.

That's stupid math any way you add it up...unless I'm missing something...? I guess I'm missing Hilly's logic here...

:confused:

Guitar Shark
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I averaged 75-80 heading out to Salem over the last weekend. Traffic was surprisingly easy. I got 320 to a tank on the highway and inside city limits I'm lucky to see 230 or so (of course, I-5 being in decent shape out there helps a lot at those speeds, anyway).

That's a 90 mile difference right there - if it was dropped to 55 mph, I'd be right back at the 230 a tank mark.

That's stupid math any way you add it up...unless I'm missing something...? I guess I'm missing Hilly's logic here...

:confused:

It's the stop and go that makes the difference in city driving. If you drove 100 miles at 60 mph and 100 miles at 75 mph, you'd save gas during the 60 mph portion. There's no way around it. Of course, it'll take longer to get there.

Bob, isn't the speed limit 55 in the Portland area? I hate driving through Portland for that reason alone. Plus, in my experience Portland traffic is worse than Seattle traffic a lot of the time.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Tell it to Jon Corzine, buddy...

bueno bob
04-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
It's the stop and go that makes the difference in city driving. If you drove 100 miles at 60 mph and 100 miles at 75 mph, you'd save gas during the 60 mph portion. There's no way around it. Of course, it'll take longer to get there.

Bob, isn't the speed limit 55 in the Portland area? I hate driving through Portland for that reason alone. Plus, in my experience Portland traffic is worse than Seattle traffic a lot of the time.

Yeah, we're still stuck at 55. Traffic starts picking up at about noon and doesn't let up until 6:30ish...horrific...

FORD
04-25-2007, 07:49 PM
On the other hand, I've made several trips to the Oregon Coast and back without seeing a single cop south of the Columbia River. Though I'm usually careful when driving through the small towns, because I've heard of their local "revenue enhancement" programs. (i.e. bust the non-residents for speeding)

bueno bob
04-25-2007, 08:46 PM
On the other hand, I've made several trips to the Oregon Coast and back without seeing a single cop south of the Columbia River. Though I'm usually careful when driving through the small towns, because I've heard of their local "revenue enhancement" programs. (i.e. bust the non-residents for speeding)

Well, Al Gore got busted for speeding out in Astoria not too long back, if memory serves correctly. Once you get out in the back woods out in that direction, though, it's REAL easy to do...

You do have to be VERY careful of the small town cops, absolutely. Go through Dundee or Lafayette 5 miles per hour over the limit and you can seriously be looking at a $300 (or more) ticket...just because. Even if the speeding doesn't merit it, they can always find other things to site you for (vehicle tag is obscured, you seemed to be weaving, etc).

FORD
04-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Usually I go over the Columbia at Longview and take Highway 30 into Astoria. I heard Clatskanie was supposed to be one of the worst speed traps, but I've never seen any porcine species in the vicinity. Wonder where they hide?

ODShowtime
04-26-2007, 08:01 AM
A newly elected Republican majority Congress repealed the national 55 MPH speed limit in 1995 over the objection of then-President Bill Clinton after groups like the National Motorists Association demonstrated the law's shortcomings as a "life-saving measure."

what a crock of bullshit. Fuck her. The silverbacks down here would LOVE that since they go 50 in the left lane anyway.

It's just another excuse for the po-lice to harrass people, generate revenue, and bust druggies.

DrMaddVibe
04-26-2007, 08:07 AM
You'll vote for her when she wins the nomination...bet on it!

BigBadBrian
04-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
You'll vote for her when she wins the nomination...bet on it!

Exactly.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-26-2007, 09:29 AM
I think it's safe to say there's just as much chance of FORD voting for Jeb as Hillary.

In other words, it ain't gonna happen...

ODShowtime
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Exactly.

It's odd how excited you two morons get about that whole topic.

ODShowtime
04-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
I think it's safe to say there's just as much chance of FORD voting for Jeb as Hillary.

In other words, it ain't gonna happen...

I think Jeb would make a far better pres that hillary.

I think he might be independent and intelligent enough to not be a complete disaster/disgrace like his brother. But nothing could be worse that the hilla-monster. I'm just as scared as you guys are.

FORD
04-26-2007, 04:03 PM
There's nothing "independent" about Jeb. He'd be a worse pResident than his brother, because he would actually be in charge.

I don't ever want to see another Bush OR Clinton in the White House again.

ODShowtime
04-26-2007, 07:12 PM
There's nothing "independent" about Jeb. He'd be a worse pResident than his brother, because he would actually be in charge.

I don't ever want to see another Bush OR Clinton in the White House again.

First of all, sorry for the same typo twice in one post. yikes.

Anyway, I'm just saying, if you had to pick one or the other, I'd pick Jeb. That's based on factoring in the country's chances of survival for the 4 year period.

But you had to live here Ford. He really wasn't a horrible governor on the surface. At least he dealt with the hurricanes competently. The people he appointed weren't complete fucknuts.