PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Monkeys

DLRdelight!
04-25-2007, 02:04 AM
anyone here like them??? i got their latest cd and to me it is much better than their first. im going to see them this thurs at the jimmy kimmel show. so what are your thoughts??

binnie
04-25-2007, 03:04 AM
I'm kind of sick of them, they are overplayed in the UK like you wouldn't believe.

Not my cup of tea, but they definately have some strong points: I always like storytelling lyrics, and the Monkeys certainly have a way with them - pretty accurate portrait of the life of someone in their late-teens in the North of England I'd say...

Musically, they're just a punk band right? So many of the bands around now rip-off XTC so badly it's not even funny: The Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers etc...

DLRdelight!
04-25-2007, 03:18 AM
well here in the us dont really hear much of them. maybe thats because i dont listen to the radio but i have read many things about them and they do seem overplayed in the uk. and yes i like their lyrics also, but dont know if i would call them a punk band

binnie
04-25-2007, 03:24 AM
If you think about the arrangments, there is a definate Punk influence.

They may not play with such a hard sound as many punk bands, but the influence is there nonetheless...

DLRdelight!
04-25-2007, 03:56 AM
well yeah of course

Shaun Ponsonby
04-25-2007, 04:32 AM
HA!

I'm with Binnie for the most part.

But, I also find them dull and boring. They've only ever done 1 TV interview, which was on Soccer AM, bizzarely enough, and they were so boring, they were lifeless. Just nothing remotely interesting was said in a remotley interesting way. And Soccer AM is a loud, lively programme with a loud crew and attractive women jumping on trampolines whenever the opurtunity arises.

I like characters...there don't seem to be any in the Monkeys. I don't HATE them, but I don't really like them.

Much prefer the Fratellis when it comes to indie bands.

binnie
04-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I'd have to agree Shaun.

As far as Indie goes, I've never really been a fan: if you're gonna rock, do it full out not with half measures....

Shaun Ponsonby
04-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Thats why I like The Fratellis.

Lyrics like

"I met her in a bar the men with big guitars were playin'
And I listened with my ears but couldn't hear what she was sayin'
I guess she talked with her mind, I didn't want to seem unkind, so I just laughed,
Kept my eyes peeled to the door, wondering what I was there for

It's alright, It's alright
I got my nuts from a hippy in a campervan on saturday night"

Now, thats obviously aboot wanting to bang someone, then you look at the Monkey's;

"I bet she looks good on the dancefloor"

Now, if I'm truthful, I'm not exactly a sexual predator, but I've never saw a girl and though "Oooooh, I bet SHE looks good on the dancefloor".

On a side note, I actually also suspect that one of the Fratellis posts here, cos they got a song called "Cuntry Boys & City Girls", and I've never been anywhere else where CUNT is used in other words.

WelshJon
04-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Arctic Monkeys lick balls.

Coyote
04-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Arctic Monkeys...

limpwristed
uninspiring
boring
tossers

Take your pick.

DLRdelight!
04-27-2007, 02:44 AM
well went to the mini concert at the jimmy kimmel show and it was great. the other guitarist looked tires as hell though or sick, but they played 12 songs. good free show

binnie
04-27-2007, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Lyrics like

I guess she talked with her mind, I didn't want to seem unkind, so I just laughed,

Now, thats obviously aboot wanting to bang someone, then you look at the Monkey's;

Now, if I'm truthful, I'm not exactly a sexual predator, but I've never saw a girl and though "Oooooh, I bet SHE looks good on the dancefloor".

On a side note, I actually also suspect that one of the Fratellis posts here, cos they got a song called "Cuntry Boys & City Girls", and I've never been anywhere else where CUNT is used in other words.

Those Fratelli lyrics are pretty cool actually, still not my cup of tea though...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Not you're cup of tea...but I bet if "Chelsea Dagger" came on the jukebox in your local after a few drinks, you couldn't resist the chorus.

pflo
04-28-2007, 02:20 PM

Lyrics like

On a side note, I actually also suspect that one of the Fratellis posts here, cos they got a song called "Cuntry Boys & City Girls", and I've never been anywhere else where CUNT is used in other words. Its " I bet that YOU look good on the dancefloor" , delivered with biting sarcasm.Guess you missed that. Changes the whole point of the song, dunnit? They are brilliant sarcastic witty assholes, and for that they get my vote.

The_KiD
04-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I'm kind of sick of them, they are overplayed in the UK like you wouldn't believe.

Not my cup of tea, but they definately have some strong points: I always like storytelling lyrics, and the Monkeys certainly have a way with them - pretty accurate portrait of the life of someone in their late-teens in the North of England I'd say...

Musically, they're just a punk band right? So many of the bands around now rip-off XTC so badly it's not even funny: The Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers etc...

I am with you on this one binnie. There was all this hype regarding their first album. I listened to it and listened to again and just did not get what was so great. I mean we have all heard it before..

Anyway, not a bad band but average at best in my book..

Cheers,

KiD

Tiki-Tom
04-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Man, the Blow Monkeys suck!!!!!!!:confused: What the fuck? Oh yeah, the Arctic Monkeys Blow;)

Shaun Ponsonby
04-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by pflo
Its " I bet that YOU look good on the dancefloor" , delivered with biting sarcasm.Guess you missed that. Changes the whole point of the song, dunnit? They are brilliant sarcastic witty assholes, and for that they get my vote.

They have no personality, so how can they deliver things with sarcasm?

pflo
04-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I guess it takes intelligence on the listeners part. In your case, Nickelback may be a better choice.

binnie
04-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I guess it takes intelligence on the listeners part. In your case, Nickelback may be a better choice.

Since when did the Artic Monkeys play to intellectuals?

pflo
04-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Do you have to be an intellectual to be intelligent?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 06:05 AM

No, Nickelback suck ass too.

I think if I can understand Yes and The Flower Kings, I can understand the Arctic Fuckin' Monkeys.

Do you have to be intelligent to spot when people have no personality?

binnie
04-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Do you have to be an intellectual to be intelligent?

No: but you do not have to be intelligent to understand the Artic Monkeys.

Fucking hell, the songs are about drinking and fucking - not that there's anything wrong with that - we aren't talking about existentialism here.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Fucking?

Drinking?

I must have missed that.

I thought they were aboot politley sipping and asking a girl's father if you could be betrothed.

binnie
04-30-2007, 10:41 AM

I thought they were aboot politley sipping and asking a girl's father if you could be betrothed.

No-one in the Artic Monkeys knows what betrothed means....

You're probably right though...

pflo
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey, that new song "Brianstorm" is a smokin mofo, I just heard it. I cant fathom that ANY CVH fan would say that song sucks. Check it out. Its gnarly.

pflo
04-30-2007, 11:03 PM
No: but you do not have to be intelligent to understand the Artic Monkeys.

Fucking hell, the songs are about drinking and fucking - not that there's anything wrong with that - we aren't talking about existentialism here. I agree, but there is definately some sarcastic biting wit there, very northern England. They may be young, but the lyrics are not dumb. They are not like Poison or Nickelback.

DLRdelight!
05-01-2007, 02:00 AM
i guess its just you like them or dont

binnie
05-01-2007, 03:08 AM
I agree, but there is definately some sarcastic biting wit there, very northern England. They may be young, but the lyrics are not dumb. They are not like Poison or Nickelback.

On that we agree, it is very Northern England.

And, no they are definatley not Posion or Nickleback...lol...

Shaun Ponsonby
05-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey, that new song "Brianstorm" is a smokin mofo, I just heard it. I cant fathom that ANY CVH fan would say that song sucks. Check it out. Its gnarly.

That song sucks.

binnie
05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
I haven't heard anything from the second album, so I really can't comment.

A lot of the new indie bands sound exactly like them, however...

Shaun Ponsonby
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
They're no different from the rest of em.

binnie
05-01-2007, 08:20 AM
It's times like this when the first two Oasis records start looking really quite good......

Not great, but better than a lot of the shit around now.

Coyote
05-01-2007, 08:26 AM

No, it's shit.

pflo
05-01-2007, 09:00 PM
That song sucks. Wow, you really know how to engage an audience.

FORD
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Wow, you really know how to engage an audience.

Fuck off, pedophile.

pflo
05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Fuck off, pedophile. Bush is out to get you, closet terrorist.I made some calls.You're fucked.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow, you really know how to engage an audience.

Wow, you really know to become one of the most hated people in the history of the interweb.

binnie
05-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Ahhh, he's no Three Lock Rock!

Shaun Ponsonby
05-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats true...even suckdicki is more irritating.

So, he's not even the best at being hated,..

binnie
05-02-2007, 11:39 AM
It is true, some people manage to go through life achieving nothing.

pflo
05-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Thats true...even suckdicki is more irritating.

So, he's not even the best at being hated,.. "shaun" is a girls name....."Ponsonby", well, I dont know what the fuck that is.

pflo
05-02-2007, 07:51 PM
z

pflo
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Bin laden masturbates in a cave with an IV drip.

binnie
05-03-2007, 02:46 AM
Bin laden masturbates in a cave with an IV drip.

Wow, you've hurt my feeling because I am the real Osama Bin Laden...

DLRdelight!
05-03-2007, 02:57 AM
Wow, you've hurt my feeling because I am the real Osama Bin Laden...

all this time i thought you were.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-03-2007, 06:39 AM
HA! BANNED!

Shaun's a girls name?

Would he say that to Sean Connery?

Even in his 70s, I think he'd kick his ass.