PDA

View Full Version : Political music

Ellyllions
04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
M'kay, let me get my disclaimer out before I post this video...

A friend of ours has become involved with an activist group of way-right leaning (I mean off the rails to the right) folks. Too extreme and excitable for me, but they're attending an event locally and have organized for a music group to perform.

He sent my husband the youtube video of the group's newest songs and I wanted to drop it here to see what the consensus of opinion is.

Personally? I don't like the song at all. From a musical standpoint, there is nothing that "stands out" about any of it, it's too long, and it lacks a climax. From a lyrical standpoint (to me) it's shocking and a bit disturbing to me.

If you would like to see the video and have some discussion, let me know. It's a cheaply made video and it's not horrific or anything...it's not white supremacy (let me get that out) but it is against Islam. **and it does NOT represent MY views at all**

The mods will have to tell me it's ok to post it before I do.

binnie
04-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah I'd like to see it, sounds interesting.

Never understood why really political people use music as a vehicle: is a song going to change opinion?

I'm not talking about bands like Rage Against the Machine, whose primary existence was still as a band; i'm talking about people whose primary existence is as a political group, who use music to express it.

Why music?

Thought?

Wawazat
04-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Got a message?, call Western Union

Ellyllions
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, music does influence people. It does bring about change.

*shrug*

binnie
04-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I really don't think that music does influence people to direct action.

Like any piece of art, it might provoke thought, which is a power in itself: Rage against the Machine, The Dead Kennedys etc certainly made you think. However a lot of "political" bands, especially in metal, are so generically left-wing that I doubt it provokes much in people that they haven't already thought about, depending on the average age of their fanbase (introducing kids to politics to music is great as far as I'm concerned...)

The problem is that music and other art forms generally raise issues that need addressing, but very rarely offer solutions to them. Nor am I suggesting that it is their job to do so, I am just pointing out that raising an issue isn't enough to trigger an action on behlaf of the listener/viewer etc etc. To proboke action you have ot provide a solution, a plan of action, and this is one thing art does not do.

I suppose the real political power of music is to unify people, by creating a point at which movements come together (I'm thinking of the late 60s and peace protests here...).

But that is not the same thing as bringing about change.

If you think about it, what did Live8 change: fuck all.

It put a little pressure on the G8 to make a token gesture of help towards Africa: real change did not ensue....

FORD
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by binnie

If you think about it, what did Live8 change: fuck all.

It put a little pressure on the G8 to make a token gesture of help towards Africa: real change did not ensue....

Yeah, but it did get Pink Floyd together for the first time in 25 years. That's an accomplishment in itself!

FORD
04-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
M'kay, let me get my disclaimer out before I post this video...

A friend of ours has become involved with an activist group of way-right leaning (I mean off the rails to the right) folks. Too extreme and excitable for me, but they're attending an event locally and have organized for a music group to perform.

He sent my husband the youtube video of the group's newest songs and I wanted to drop it here to see what the consensus of opinion is.

Personally? I don't like the song at all. From a musical standpoint, there is nothing that "stands out" about any of it, it's too long, and it lacks a climax. From a lyrical standpoint (to me) it's shocking and a bit disturbing to me.

If you would like to see the video and have some discussion, let me know. It's a cheaply made video and it's not horrific or anything...it's not white supremacy (let me get that out) but it is against Islam. **and it does NOT represent MY views at all**

The mods will have to tell me it's ok to post it before I do.

I haven't heard the song, obviously, but it sounds as though it might be a vehicle to incite hatred against Muslims, and that is not a good thing. Music can be a powerful political tool if used properly.

Music in the 80's helped bring attention to things like the Ethiopian famine, South African apartheid, the reckless policies of the Reagan administration, etc.

Music in the late 60's and early 70's fueled the protest movement against the Vietnam War, and helped circulate the message of the civil rights movement.

It would be a stretch to say that music itself solved these problems, but it did expand awareness, and bring more people into the process.

Corporate control of the music industry is suppressing a lot of politically oriented music lately. Mainstream recording artists like Neil Young, John Mellencamp, and Pink have had a hard time getting airplay for songs that take on the Bush Fraudministration and the Iraq war. Just as it was with Vietnam, this music could potentially expand awareness of the truth. But unlike Vietnam, the media is now controlled by many of the same corporations who profit directly from the war.

I'd encourage anyone with a valid political message to put it into music, whether I agree with it or not. I would however draw the line at something which incites hatred towards anyone, let alone billions of people.

Mr. Vengeance
04-26-2007, 05:24 PM
About the most political music I enjoy is Bob Marley and Bob Dylan. It's really the only stuff I actually care what the political words are. I listen to other "political" music, but generally I just block out the message, because it's so lame.....I don't need Joey Ramone telling me about poverty.

Terry
04-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Not really interested in "message" music. Even if it's a message I agree with.

Even less interested in political viewpoints by professional entertainers, which is basically what the actors, athletes and musicians of today are: either get your name on a ballot or have a nice, heaping bowl of shaddafugup!

binnie
04-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
, I don't need Joey Ramone telling me about poverty.

LOL!!

True 'dat...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I started reading through this thread, but it was so boring that I stopped...somebody give me the jist.

binnie
04-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I started reading through this thread, but it was so boring that I stopped...somebody give me the jist.

CAT

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Heaven's Above!

binnie
04-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Basically it's turned into a discussion about the merits of political music: does it have any effect, and if so, what?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
No.

The music may be good, but no-one gives a shit aboot the poltical lyrics.

Now, lets c(o)unt how many U2 fans are fed up with BONO wanting to be some kind of drunken Irish Christ figure...

FORD
04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
No.

The music may be good, but no-one gives a shit aboot the poltical lyrics.

Now, lets c(o)unt how many U2 fans are fed up with BONO wanting to be some kind of drunken Irish Christ figure...

Bono's lyrics about Christ and politics are what got me into the band in the first place. I still think "October" was a brilliant album.

As was this song, which wasn't on "October", but should have been......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBP64ZssRNY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBP64ZssRNY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

rustoffa
04-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I don't need Joey Ramone telling me about poverty.

Fuck Jon King too!!!
:D ;)

Seriously, Gang Of Four didn't whore themselves with political commentary. They saved that move for dance tracks!! Wot were ya thinkin' Andy?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPJHQmJAiKA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPJHQmJAiKA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Wawazat
05-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Well, music does influence people. It does bring about change.

*shrug*

So do i.

*sigh*

Shaun Ponsonby
05-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Music influences peoples lives, yes.

The way people dress tends to be dictated by the music they listen to, the way people have their hair etc.

But, the majority of people don't listen to Bob Dylan and go "oooh, I could just do with a nice, political change".