PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking: Learning to fly

Golden AWe
04-27-2007, 02:30 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6594821.stm

British physicist Stephen Hawking has completed a zero-gravity flight in a specially modified plane.

Professor Hawking, who suffers from motor neurone disease, was able to float free, unrestricted by his paralysed muscles and his wheelchair.

The flight, which lasted more than an hour took a series of dramatic dives, allowing the professor to experience 25-second spurts of weightlessness.

The event could be a step closer to Hawking's goal of going into space.

The modified Boeing 727 jet simulated the experience of weightlessness as it took plunges over the Atlantic Ocean.

"It was amazing," Prof Hawking said after the flight.

"The zero-G part was wonderful and the higher-G part was no problem. I could have gone on and on. Space, here I come!" he said.

Initially, the organisers had planned to go through between one and three zero gravity sessions.

In the end eight were completed, and Prof Hawking experienced weightlessness for about four minutes.

US firm Zero Gravity normally charges a fee of $3,750 (£1,915) for its passengers, but that fee was waived for the Cambridge physicist.

He was not given many years to live when he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in the 1960s, aged 22.

Long-held ambition

The plane took off from the space shuttle's runway at Nasa's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The planes used for parabolic flights are commonly referred to as "vomit comets".

During the flight, Professor Hawking's aides lifted him out of his chair and placed him gently on the floor of the plane during the sharply angled climb into the sky, in preparation for the first plunge.

The jet's interior was padded to protect the weightless fliers and equipped with cameras to record their adventure.

"We had a wonderful time. It was incredible, far beyond our expectations," said Peter Diamandis, chairman and CEO of Zero Gravity Corporation.

"The doctors felt he was in tremendous condition. His heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels were all normal and perfect," Mr Diamandis said.

Prof Hawking, 65, is one of the best-known theoretical physicists of his generation. Some of his groundbreaking work focuses on black holes and on the origins of the Universe.

He has at least one other motive for taking the weightless flight: he believes private space ventures are vital to reduce the cost of space tourism and make it accessible to a greater number of people.

"I think the human race doesn't have a future if it doesn't go into space," Professor Hawking earlier told the BBC News website.

He has a reservation for a sub-orbital flight with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic venture, scheduled to begin service in 2009.

In November last year, he told the BBC: "My next goal is to go into space; maybe Richard Branson will help me."

Virgin Galactic will own and operate at least five spaceships and two mother ships, and will charge £100,000 ($190,000) to carry passengers to an altitude of about 140km on sub-orbital space flights.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42853000/jpg/_42853663_hawk_ap_416.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42851000/gif/_42851445_111weightlessflight.gif

binnie
04-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Good for him, any break from his daily routine must be a Godsend...

VanHalener
04-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Mr Hawking....

I salute you, you bad ass...

my brother from the other mother...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ktsv2Pq3THk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ktsv2Pq3THk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

fryingdutchman
04-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Hawking took a ride on the ol' Vomit Comet!!

Good for him!

chi-town324
04-27-2007, 05:29 PM
i read this... good for him

Shaun Ponsonby
04-28-2007, 11:12 AM
I hope its not just some cruel joke and they've done it as a prank.

Its not like he can do anything aboot it.

Fucking bullies.

Viking
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Imagine having to vegetate like that in a wheelchair all your life, then suddenly being able to float free in space. He's got no motor control left to speak of, but look at the grin on his face - I bet he wouldn't trade a lifetime of sex for that one moment. As soon as he's fully up and running, Branson ought to give Hawking a freebie as the first private commercial passenger in space. The symbolism and marketing value alone is priceless. Hey, any other hi-tech rednecks follow the Rocket Racing League?

Antman
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
The man's a pure genius in every sense of the word. According tohim, time travel is possible. He practically proved it, mathematically anyway. I think there was a thread about this a few years ago. Anyone remember?

Baby's On Fire
04-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Antman
The man's a pure genius in every sense of the word. According tohim, time travel is possible. He practically proved it, mathematically anyway. I think there was a thread about this a few years ago. Anyone remember?

I read his book about it. It weas so complicated to follow I couldn't fathom it. Unbelievable.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I didn't read it myself, but my ye olde physics teacher told us. Its not time travel as you and I know it "ie-"Back to the Future"-esque) but you can go so far/fast that you can go ahead of time.

Its mathematically, but not physically possible.

knuckleboner
04-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I didn't read it myself, but my ye olde physics teacher told us. Its not time travel as you and I know it "ie-"Back to the Future"-esque) but you can go so far/fast that you can go ahead of time.

Its mathematically, but not physically possible.

actually, it's TOTALLY physically possible. in fact, you do it every day.

it's related back to einstein's theory of relativity.

time is not absolute. it doesn't go at the same rate for all places in the universe.

the faster that you go, relative to me, the slower that your time passes. this is true no matter how slowly you're actually going. if you and i have identical watches, perfectly synchronized, and you walk around the block at 2 kph faster than me (i'm stationary), then when you get back, your time would've passed just a slight bit slower than mine. now, completely undetectible at that speed, but carry it out to the 0.000000000000000000001 seconds and it's there.

studies have shown it to like miliseconds on cross country flights at 600+ mph.

the real technical (but currently not physically possible) part of the time travel is at much greater speeds. if you travel in a ship going about 85% of the speed of light for what seems like 1 year for you, and i'm stationary on earth, when you get back to earth, 2 years will have passed for me.

you do that for 40 years on your ship, and 80 years will have passed on earth. in effect, you will have travelled 40 years into earth's future. but, again, it works at all speeds (just at a really, really small level for slow speeds.)

in fact, it even works when you're travelling a little faster than your friend when you get up from the couch to go to the refridgerator. by the time you get back, you will have travelled a slight bit into your stationary friend's future.

so, einstein's other theory is apparently that beer=time travel...;)

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 06:33 AM
I mean that the human body couldn't take it.

binnie
04-30-2007, 07:12 AM

Fucking bullies.

LOL!!

That got me.

It's a bit like on tombstones when it says: "Not dead, just sleeping."

I always think, "that must be the ultimate practical joke..."

Anonymous
04-30-2007, 08:21 AM

Fucking bullies.

:lol:

Cheers! :bottle:

knuckleboner
04-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I mean that the human body couldn't take it.

the human body (or any matter) can't take worm holes, which have been theorized to permit time travel.

but we can definitely take moving faster. the only challenge is getting enough fuel in the rocket to move up to any significant speed.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Every physist I've spoken to has said that the human body couldn't take the speed you'd need to go, I'm just passing on the info I've been told.

knuckleboner
04-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Every physist I've spoken to has said that the human body couldn't take the speed you'd need to go, I'm just passing on the info I've been told.

if you were to go from a standstill up to 10% of the speed of light in a span of 2 minutes, the g-forces would destroy you.

on the other hand, constant, but gradual acceleration is completely doable. now, gradual might be over a span of a couple of years. but eventually you can do it (again, assuming you have the fuel, which to go to 10% of the speed of light would be astronomical...)

and once you're at the speed, if you keep it constant, there's zero additional strain on the body.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Stop correcting me.

I'm saying what other people have told me.

I failed physics at A-Level, and consequently lost interest in the subject.

So I couldn't give 3 fucks and a hooray.

knuckleboner
04-30-2007, 02:34 PM
easy...

i thought it was an interesting subject. if you don't care, you don't need to continue replying to me. no problem.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm a cunt, of course I'm gonna be doing that.

Jeezus, how long have you been here?

knuckleboner
04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
heh heh. since i don't fancy the red all that much, i don't step into the pen near enough. perhaps to my detriment. my apologies...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Give me beer...than the apology will be accepted.