PDA

View Full Version : The official "Snakes and arrows" thread

Mr Badguy
04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
It`s out today.

I picked it up earlier and have played it once.

Forget "Vapor trails", this is very much a return to the sound of "Test for echo".

Some people hated "Vapor trails" but I really dug it for what it was, with it`s dense sound and experimentation with no guitar solos, and I would have liked more of the same.

The guitar solos are back, so are the instrumentals (no less than three) and the acoustic/electric work by Lifeson. Opener "Far cry" even has an excellent "Hemispheres" style open chord.

Songs that caught my ear on first spin: "Far cry", "Spindrift", "The main monkey business" and "The way the wind blows".

Shaun Ponsonby
04-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Its oot today?

SHIT.

I'm gonna have to pick it up tomorrow.

I actually quite liked Vapor Trails too. And I thought "One Little Victory" and "Earthshine" were both some of the best tunes of the century thus far.

ODShowtime
04-30-2007, 07:07 PM
It comes out tomorrow in the states. Now I have something to do during lunch break.

WACF
05-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I have not got all the way through it yet.

You gotta crank "The Main Monkey Business".

I had to go back and listen to "Armor and Sword " a few times...something about that song keeps pulling me back before I can listen to every track on the CD.

Mr Badguy
05-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I`m beginning to get into the "sound" of it now.

Some good stuff towards the end.

"Bravest face" and "Malignant narcissism" rock.

The_KiD
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I just picked it up and am throwing in my rig now.. Sounds promising..

KiD

perilousepete
05-03-2007, 01:16 AM
so i woke up at 6 am on tuesday all excited and went out to wally world to by it, only to my chagrin of course. you can never count on sam to carry good cd's......why did i bother...now i'll have to drive like a half hour to best buy to get it, but i know it will be worth it.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-03-2007, 06:31 AM
I probably wont be able to get til Friday...

I wish it were Friday NOW.

ODShowtime
05-03-2007, 06:13 PM
The first couple tracks aren't doing anything for me yet. The first instrumental did though. I can already hear what it will sound like in concert.

Of course I love every Rush instrumental.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
My local Compact Discs in exchange for currency outlet isn't even STOCKING it.

They stock Spock's Beard but not RUSH?

And I question the inclusion of "High School Musical" in the shop.

Anyways, ordered it from PLAY.

Guess it will be here on Monday or Tuesday.

Mr Badguy
05-10-2007, 07:25 AM
I`m finally getting right into it now.

It took a good few spins but it paid off.

It`s well worth the effort.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Mine still hasn't come.

For FUCKS SAKE.

I could have made the album myself in this time.

DLR_EngineRoom
05-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
It`s out today.

I picked it up earlier and have played it once.

Forget "Vapor trails", this is very much a return to the sound of "Test for echo".

Some people hated "Vapor trails" but I really dug it for what it was, with it`s dense sound and experimentation with no guitar solos, and I would have liked more of the same.

The guitar solos are back, so are the instrumentals (no less than three) and the acoustic/electric work by Lifeson. Opener "Far cry" even has an excellent "Hemispheres" style open chord.

Songs that caught my ear on first spin: "Far cry", "Spindrift", "The main monkey business" and "The way the wind blows".

Love this album. Bought it on release date here in T.O. (May 1st) and can't stop listening to it. It definitely grows on you, couldn't grasp it first 2 times listening.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Finally arrived today...1 1/2 weeks down the line (Play are getting slow in their old age).

I can see why "Far Cry" was selected as the first single. Although there were more songs that grabbed me with "Vapor Trails" ("Eathshine", "...Victory", "...Cradle" etc), I can definatley see this becoming a better album with age...and I look forward to hearing the material played live.

I agree with Badguy on the songs that jumped oot at me here, but I'll add "Bravest Face" to the list.

Reverberator
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
It REALLY does get better the more you listen to it .

DLR'sCock
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I enjoy the instrumentals the most.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-17-2007, 02:26 PM
A few spins later...possibly album of the year?

WACF
05-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
I enjoy the instrumentals the most.

Rush are the masters of instumentals.....

Mr Badguy
05-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Any predictions about how much of it they`ll play live?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Probably more than they did of "Vapor Trails".

4 or 5?

I can see "Far Cry", "Main Monkey Business", "Way The Wind Blows" and "Spindrift" in there. Maybe "We Hold On" as well.