PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years , This is the Best they can Do?

LoungeMachine
05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
After five years, charges against Padilla peter out
PAUL KORING

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

May 15, 2007 at 6:32 AM EDT

WASHINGTON — After five years in prison, most of it in solitary in a grim navy brig where he was held as an enemy combatant, Jose Padilla went on trial Monday in a case that spotlights the Bush administration's legal tactics in the so-called war on terror.

Instead of representing America's worst nightmare - the homegrown Islamic extremist poised to turn a booming city centre into a deadly wasteland with nuclear debris - the trial of the onetime Chicago gang member and U.S. citizen has become a cautionary tale in prosecutorial hype.

"In apprehending al-Muhajir [Mr. Padilla's Muslim name] as he sought entry into the United States, we have disrupted an unfolding terrorist plot to attack the United States by exploding a radioactive dirty bomb," was the apocalyptic pronouncement by then-attorney-general John Ashcroft. At the time, fear gripped the country in the aftermath of the Sept 11, 2001, terrorist attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center.

The actual threat posed by Mr. Padilla, 36, seems to have steadily receded ever since.

Yesterday, in a Miami courtroom, the real case against him was revealed: He was accused of filling out an application form to become a jihadi, or holy warrior. "Joining an al-Qaeda training camp was an incredibly rare thing for an American to do," said assistant U.S. attorney Brian Frazier, claiming that Mr. Padilla and two co-defendants, Adham Amin Hassoun and Kifah Wael Jayyousi, also provided money and support to Muslims fighting in Kosovo, Chechnya and Lebanon in the 1990s.

Its not clear if the government intends to attempt to link any of the three to any actual terrorist attacks. The indictment no longer makes any mention of the dirty-bomb plot.

"The case is going to go out with more of a whimper than a bang," said Stephen Vladeck, a University of Miami law professor who had filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court challenging the legality of Mr. Padilla's detention in the navy prison in Charleston, S.C.

"The government's central argument is that Padilla is a bad guy who hung out with other bad guys," Mr. Vladeck told Reuters.

Defence lawyers dispute even that, claiming that Mr. Hassoun, a Palestinian computer programmer, and Mr. Jayyousi, a former school administrator, were engaged in nothing more sinister than helping downtrodden co-religionists in strife-torn parts of the world and that Mr. Padilla, a Muslim convert, simply wanted to study Islam.

The prosecution insisted that "Jose Padilla was an al-Qaeda terrorist trainee providing the ultimate form of material support - himself."

Mr. Padilla and his co-defendants could still face life in prison if convicted.

But it is not just Mr. Padilla on trial.

The case has attracted international attention and is regarded by many legal scholars as a test of whether the U.S. justice system will finally show itself capable of dealing with trials in a fashion more consistent with traditional legal standards.

Mr. Padilla's unprecedented detention as a enemy combatant nearly reached the Supreme Court although the Justice Department avoided any decision by agreeing to move the case to civilian courts. He spent three years without being formally charged and his interrogation is widely seen as having violated his constitutional rights, including the right to have a lawyer and remain silent.

The government has admitted that most of the evidence collected, including the dirty-bomb allegations, may have been extracted from other alleged al-Qaeda operatives who claimed they were tortured and thus is inadmissible.

"At stake in this case is nothing less than the essence of a free society," wrote U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens in comments on the Padilla case.

"Unconstrained executive detention for the purpose of investigating and preventing subversive activity is the hallmark of the star chamber."

Ellyllions
05-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah, this case is interesting. Especially in light of the recent attorney firings....

This is one point in all of the conspiracy theories that really makes me wonder...

DrMaddVibe
05-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Now you kinda know how I felt with your last record.

Nickdfresh
05-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Now you kinda know how I felt with your last record.

Just stick to Judy Garland's Greatest Hits, then...

Nickdfresh
05-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Yeah, this case is interesting. Especially in light of the recent attorney firings....

This is one point in all of the conspiracy theories that really makes me wonder...

Yeah, it does make one wonder, how few actual terror convictions there have been based on charges DIRECTLY linked to some sort of terror operations. Aside from the monkeys captured in Afghanistan, I believe Richard Ried is about it.

knuckleboner
05-15-2007, 11:32 PM
i have no doubt that padilla is a slime and probably deserved whatever he got.

but, i am slightly concerned with the whole concept of enemy combatant.

i have no inherent distrust of either the government or the military. but, at some point, i don't like having 1 entity (the military, in this case) effectively being the police, judge and jury of a person.

either call them prisoners of war, or call them criminals. hell, make "enemy combatant" a crime if you want. but at some point, if you want to hold a person against their will, indefinitely, i'd feel a whole lot better if we had some sort of judicial oversight for the process.

Lqskdiver
05-15-2007, 11:35 PM
either call them prisoners of war, or call them criminals. hell, make "enemy combatant" a crime if you want. but at some point, if you want to hold a person against their will, indefinitely, i'd feel a whole lot better if we had some sort of judicial oversight for the process.

Would those feeling apply if we had Bin Ladin in custody?

DEMON CUNT
05-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver

Why? Do you know him?

knuckleboner
05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver

yes.

i am 100% sure (well, 99.99999% sure) that bin laden is guilty of many crimes.

but if that's the case, then i don't just want to capture him and keep him in a cell forever.

i want SOME kind of oversight. not to protect "osama bin laden," but to protect the system in general. to protect the potential random person who might wind up ensnared.

if bin laden's guilty, we'll prove it. if we can't? then i don't think we should really hold him indefinitely.