PDA

View Full Version : The Two AIDS victims get suspended!

Mr. Vengeance
05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Serves them right, the ripoff fucks!

Dave looks pretty damn good right now.

McLEAN, Va. - XM Satellite Radio suspended shock jocks Opie and Anthony for 30 days Tuesday, one week after they aired crude sex comments about Condoleezza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth II and one day after they made light of the incident in their broadcast.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter," Washington-based XM said in a statement. "The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

Opie and Anthony, who last week apologized for the sex comments, struck a more defensive tone on Monday's broadcast. They lamented the state of radio and what they perceived as excessive reactions to comments made by themselves and other radio disc jockeys.

"We're under the same scrutiny as (National Public Radio) — it doesn't make sense," they said on Monday's show.

The pair also expressed sympathy for Don Imus, saying his career is now "gone, just because he was trying to entertain people."

Last month, cable network MSNBC dropped its simulcast of Imus' show, then CBS Radio fired him for using racist and sexist terms to describe the Rutgers women's basketball team.

On May 9, Opie and Anthony, whose full names are Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, aired a segment with a man they call Homeless Charlie. As the names of Rice, Bush and the queen came up, Charlie said in vulgar terms that he would like to have sex with each of them.

Opie and Anthony laughed as they imagined Rice's "horror" while describing a violent sexual encounter in which Rice is punched in the face.

Opie and Anthony were fired by CBS Radio in 2002 after broadcasting a call from two listeners who said they were having sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral.

XM hired the pair in 2004. Because the show airs on satellite radio, its content is not subject to regulation by the Federal Communications Commission.

Opie and Anthony also host a syndicated, tamer terrestrial radio program for CBS. Opie and Anthony will be on the air for that program as scheduled Wednesday morning, CBS Radio said Tuesday.

A call to Opie and Anthony's agent, Robert Eatman, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

A spokesman for XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. declined to say whether Opie and Anthony would be paid during their suspension, calling it a contractual matter.

___

BITEYOASS
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Somewhere Howard Stern is laughing his ass off right now. :D

Ally_Kat
05-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Somewhere Howard Stern is laughing his ass off right now. :D

I would hope not, esp with Howard going on about free speech during his last days on regular radio. If this kind of regulation on satellite starts to spread, his show will be hit eventually.

I mean, honestly -- let's all drop the radio show wars for a second and look at the bigger picture.

Unless this show's programming has changed since last I understood it, this show was on a subscription channel within a subscription service. Yet, they're still being subjected to a broadcasting line of conduct. I thought satellite was suppose to get rid of that? It was all said that jocks wouldn't have to worry about borders or punishment on satellite. Now look.

This will snowball to other shows and jocks. Wait.

Satan
05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Now XM has no excuses....they can launch the second liberal radio channel which they have needed for a long time.

Fuck Herpes and Assrimming. As much as I hate the BCE, jokes about raping Kindasleeza Rice are way beyond defensible.

Now that said, why the FUCK is that racist anti-semite Glenn Beck still spewing his filth on CNN?

twonabomber
05-16-2007, 12:35 AM
an O&A fansite is reporting that they are now FIRED.

free speech is one thing...but a guy saying he wants to fuck the first lady (and wasn't there a comment about punching her in the face?) looks like it's over the line.

after the Imus and JV and Elvis firings...they shoulda known better.

Ally_Kat
05-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber

after the Imus and JV and Elvis firings...they shoulda known better.

Yeah, but those two shows were on FCC controlled radio. That would be like saying HBO should rethink showing tits after the Janet Jackson thing on regular broadcast.

twonabomber
05-16-2007, 10:03 AM
looks like it wasn't so much the original comment, but the comments they made after the apology.

"Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

XM thought they were insub.

BITEYOASS
05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I would hope not, esp with Howard going on about free speech during his last days on regular radio. If this kind of regulation on satellite starts to spread, his show will be hit eventually.

I mean, honestly -- let's all drop the radio show wars for a second and look at the bigger picture.

Unless this show's programming has changed since last I understood it, this show was on a subscription channel within a subscription service. Yet, they're still being subjected to a broadcasting line of conduct. I thought satellite was suppose to get rid of that? It was all said that jocks wouldn't have to worry about borders or punishment on satellite. Now look.

This will snowball to other shows and jocks. Wait.

It ain't gonna touch Howard since he went to Sirius. But if this means less listeners to clear channel stations, then it's a step in the right direction.

Ally_Kat
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
It ain't gonna touch Howard since he went to Sirius. But if this means less listeners to clear channel stations, then it's a step in the right direction.

Dude, it was XM that did this, not the FCC, CBS, or ClearChannel. If this starts with one satellite conpany, it could spill over to the next.

Guitar Shark
05-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Now that said, why the FUCK is that racist anti-semite Glenn Beck still spewing his filth on CNN?

I don't know whether he's a racist anti-semite, but he's an ass. I don't understand how anyone likes him or why he's still on the air.

High Life Man
05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Either way, their show sucked. Norton was occassionally funny.

I'm a Stern and Carolla fan these days.

Nickdfresh
05-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
..."The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

Opie and Anthony, who last week apologized for the sex comments, struck a more defensive tone on Monday's broadcast. They lamented the state of radio and what they perceived as excessive reactions to comments made by themselves and other radio disc jockeys.

As much as I hate Dopie and Aidsthony, I have to agree with them 100%.

It's sickening as to what has happened to that medium. I think the sex on TV is far more problematic to parents than two tools doing a radio bit. Seriously, what a bunch of hypocrites. This comes down to basic political censorship...

I don't like Opie and Anthony, and find them to be crude and stupid without Sterns endearing charm and wit. You know what? I just don't listen to them. Everybody is free to do the same. But taking them off the air, for that? Yes, there's a line between hate speech designed to incite violence, and rude remarks --it was NOT passed here!

Fuck, I think I just decided to go satellite...

BITEYOASS
05-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Found something even better, with a shitload of stations to boot:

http://www.live365.com/index.live