PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To America...Now Speak English!!!

BigBadBrian
05-22-2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.bumperart.com/ProductImages/2004022501_Display-35.gif

Jesus Christ
05-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Welcome to Heaven. Speaketh Aramaic......

Little Texan
05-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ

Aramaic? Ye speaketh Olde English!

Jesus Christ
05-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan

Verily.....

For if I speaketh Aramaic, none would understandeth Me in this place.

Ellyllions
05-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm sorry, but I agree.
There has to be some standard here.

Working a deal for vacation plans. Needed to make sure that my dad (a diabetic) was recorded as such for his meal service. Told the rep (who barely spoke English, let alone understand it) that he needed a "bland diet".

Bitch recorded him as fucking "blind".

Had to go round and round with the company again to get that taken off. All because that hispanic female working the phones in Miami doesn't have to speak English to work here.

DEMON CUNT
05-22-2007, 02:27 PM
The reptile brains are getting all fired up for another immigration fight this election season! Suckers.

The person that some of you fancy as the "Son of God" once said "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me."

Who do you conservatives despise other cultures so?

So English as a second language makes someone a "bitch"? C'mon Elly, you are better than that. Why does your post begin with "I'm sorry, but..."

Ellyllions
05-22-2007, 02:32 PM
"Bitch" was used to show my frustration with the situation. Could you imagine what my dad's vacation would've been like had I not double-checked behind the rep? He and mom in a suite arranged for a blind person?

I hold no respect of persons. I just think that if the French can expect you to speak french to them (which is respectable) then there's no reason why there should be special circumstances for anyone in the US.

I've got no beef with the latest round of immigration talks other than it's slighted on the side of business instead the side of the immigrants. It's not as "nicey-nice" as people want to believe.

But thank you for trying. At least you're dependable.

Jesus Christ
05-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT

The person that some of you fancy as the "Son of God" once said "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me."

Very well said, My son. Except for that "some of you" part.

jhale667
05-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Rare as it is for me to agree with Brie on anything, I do on this. I've encountered idiots in LA that refuse to learn English. I had one woman DEMAND I speak spanish to her, I told her (in my best broken spanglish) "You're in America. Speak ENGLISH."

Having said that, when I visited Mexico recently, I tried my best to communicate in Spanish out of courtesy....

steve
05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't get this whole "threatened" feeling regarding English. It's already the most spoken language on earth. It's already the language used when a Chinese businessman speaks to a Japanese businessman. Aren't ENOUGH people speaking English for crying out loud?! :)
Think of how the French feel! French is becoming increasinly irrelevent as a world language. Now THEY should feel threatened, not us Americans. Frankly, all of us could probably broaden our horizons and at least learn a little Spanish, it's a wonderful tongue. Everywhere else on earth, educated folks have to learn a second language (and it is largely English) - why not us? We too damn good?

In 500 years you'll probably have about 1/4 of the planet speaking English, another 1/4 speaking Chinese, and the rest Spanish and Arabic. At least our language is destined for survival - and will not be obliterated with the rest of 'em. Lighten up.:cool:

Hardrock69
05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
There is no "threat".

If they want to live here, learn the fucking language!!!!
:mad:

What the fuck is so difficult about that?

Send the fucking illegals back to Mexico or wherever, and require them to pass a basic English exam in order to become a legal, United States citizen!

PERIOD!!!

jhale667
05-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
There is no "threat".

Send the fucking illegals back to Mexico or wherever, and require them to pass a basic English exam in order to become a legal, United States citizen!

PERIOD!!!

My point exactly. You wouldn't go to Russia or some shit and DEMAND the general populace speak English for YOU. Yet it's seen as somehow "racist" in LA to presume that someone who is here by choice shouldn't have to make ANY effort to assimilate... it's fucking crazy.

Nickdfresh
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
http://www.bumperart.com/ProductImages/2004022501_Display-35.gif

You first, Captain Inbred...

Unchainme
05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
There is no "threat".

PERIOD!!!

I do agree with HR69..:)..I think that one of the requirements of the Mexican Imigrant workers is they should take a basic one Year English/American Culture Course, in order for them to assimilate into our Culture better...

The Borders should be closed better though.

ELVIS
05-22-2007, 07:57 PM
The borders should be closed, PERIOD!

DEMON CUNT
05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
"Bitch" was used to show my frustration with the situation. Could you imagine what my dad's vacation would've been like had I not double-checked behind the rep? He and mom in a suite arranged for a blind person?

I am glad that you that you were there for your father.

You see an immigration problem. I see a daughter that cares about her parents.

Perhaps that woman on the other end of the line is working to help take care if her parents. That is pretty common.

I've got no beef with the latest round of immigration talks other than it's slighted on the side of business instead the side of the immigrants.

Business is at the center of our problem. It is the potential of employment that causes them to cross the border.

The employers are the cause. It is really no surprise to see any legislation favor business over humans.

DEMON CUNT
05-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

And we should all have blonde hair and blue eyes! Period.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Fuckin' A.

English or the grave in the US, sorry.

ELVIS
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
And we should all have blonde hair and blue eyes! Period.

How 'bout red eyes and fire hair ??

Cult of Roth
05-23-2007, 02:04 AM
I can understand people wanting to retain their cultural heritage, but I don't get the people who seem insulted by the idea that they should learn English. They are the same people who talk about what a horrible country the US is, and how proud they are of (insert country of origin here). If it's so damned great, then why aren't you still there?

By not learning the dominant language of the country they choose to immigrate to, they are only causing the self-induced ghettoizing of their ethnic group. They isolate themselves and reduce the chance of actually improving their station in life.

If you come to this country because it's a better place then the one you left, then why not try to embrace the new culture you find yourself in?

jhale667
05-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Cult of Roth
I can understand people wanting to retain their cultural heritage, but I don't get the people who seem insulted by the idea that they should learn English. They are the same people who talk about what a horrible country the US is, and how proud they are of (insert country of origin here). If it's so damned great, then why aren't you still there?

By not learning the dominant language of the country they choose to immigrate to, they are only causing the self-induced ghettoizing of their ethnic group. They isolate themselves and reduce the chance of actually improving their station in life.

If you come to this country because it's a better place then the one you left, then why not try to embrace the new culture you find yourself in?

Well said. And they can start by taking the giant bull and "I love El Salvador" stickers off their cars...:D

Big Train
05-23-2007, 02:33 AM
While i'm about as staunch a supporter of secure borders and assimilation as anyone is, I do think the "american" side should be a bit more tempered.

America is a place where we love our endless fast food joints and hotels.

A land where we love our "roll back" prices at Wal-Mart.

A land where the term "rights" is thrown around with abandon.

All I'm saying is if you want people who work for next to nothing and businesses who offer you items for rock bottom prices, expect that the people who do the labor to provide it might be less than Rhoades Scholars.

White America wants to have it's cake, eat it and have someone come and remove and wash it for them.

Like my boy Thompson says "America needs to have a serious discussion about what America really wants".

It would not kill any of us to pick up a foreign language. Within reason, national pride for your family is not a bad thing (how many people "go irish" on St. Pats day?).

My wife is of Mexican descent and her family is from Mexico. While proudly American, they do enjoy things from their native country and prefer to speak in their native tongue in their own home.

It is sad that we demand people learn our language, yet you would be hard pressed to find an American willing to learn another language just for the sake of learning. It creates an ignorance that adds to our national arrogance. Not healthy.

Hardrock69
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
It is sad that we demand people learn our language, yet you would be hard pressed to find an American willing to learn another language just for the sake of learning.

What rock you been hiding under? Thousands of people each year in this country learn another language for a variety of reasons.

That statement is kinda ridiculous.

Lqskdiver
05-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan

Naa, what not many people know is that JC had a lisp. That ith why he speaketh that way.

:D

steve
05-23-2007, 10:41 AM
What a STRAW MAN argument this whole "immigrants are not learning English" collective yelp is. Aside from many ways in which I think it's a threatened posture for no good reason, it's just not true. Half the people where I live are immigrants or first generation children of immigrants, and they all strive to speak English. The whole argument of "my Polish/Irish/Italian etc great grandparents strove to assimilate and these "new" (aka brown) immigrants don't". Bullshit, not true. Not from what I see. It's no different now than it was then...you had Little Italys, now you have the Vietnamese or Korean shopping centers, and districts with Ethiopian food. You have parts of town that are where Hispanic folks live. And their while the grandparents might struggle with English, ALL the kids speak it well and want to blend in and learn English. Their parents can't GET them to speak their native language at home.

jhale667
05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by steve
The whole argument of-blahblahblah- "new" (aka brown) immigrants don't"(assimilate). Bullshit, not true. Not from what I see.

Illegal Immigration a big problem in VA? You should visit Los Angeles. That's exactly what's happening. I don't give a fuck if they're GREEN immigrants.

hideyoursheep
05-23-2007, 02:35 PM
There is no "threat".

PERIOD!!!

www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com

And remember, the big man's always happy to see ya!:D

hideyoursheep
05-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
http://www.bumperart.com/ProductImages/2004022501_Display-35.gif They're FROM America, numbnuts...

Central America.

Somewhere about 300 years ago, I get this feeling that the Pawnee, Cherokee, Crow, Blackfoot, Lakota, Commanche, Apache and Miami were having the same debate.....

If I left anyone out, Sioux me.:p

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
No, they're from América, not the damn US.

Now shut the fuck up and speak English if you want to live here.

steve
05-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Illegal Immigration a big problem in VA? You should visit Los Angeles. That's exactly what's happening. I don't give a fuck if they're GREEN immigrants.

:D There are tons of Salvadorean illegal (and I stress illegal, as opposed to immoral) immigrants around these here parts. But I thought this thread was about speakin' zee English?;)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Steve, I fucking love your avatar.

Idiocracy was a pretty hilarious (at times) movie.

hideyoursheep
05-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
No, they're from América...

NO SHIT?

Now shut the fuck up and speak English if you want to live here.
Rimanga dietro il vostro calcolatore e protesti, voi disgrace!:mad2:

Big Train
05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
What rock you been hiding under? Thousands of people each year in this country learn another language for a variety of reasons.

That statement is kinda ridiculous.

I used the term "hard pressed". Thousands in a land of 300 million people = hard pressed.

BITEYOASS
05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
This thread reminds me of a fun little tune called.....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBCos2MlQ1Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBCos2MlQ1Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
05-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

They ARE closed you dummy!

Pay attention please.

The problem is that it's all fucking irrelevant and meaningless!

ace diamond
05-24-2007, 06:07 PM
The reptile brains are getting all fired up for another immigration fight this election season! Suckers.

Who do you conservatives despise other cultures so?

So English as a second language makes someone a "bitch"? C'mon Elly, you are better than that. Why does your post begin with "I'm sorry, but..."

english was my second language. i am an american, i was born here,i'll die here. i know first hand how difficult life can be when everyone else around you does not speak your language.
i also know how frustrating is is for them not being able to understand what i was saying.

i came to understand very quickly when i was a very young child that
i needed to learn english because it was then and is now the language of this great land nation. so i agree with the people the says,"LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH OR GET THE FUCK OUT."
I realised very quickly how necessary and beneficial it is to my survival.
It is much easier to get things done when the people you are dealing with can understand you.

ace diamond
05-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
They're FROM America, numbnuts...

Central America.

Somewhere about 300 years ago, I get this feeling that the Pawnee, Cherokee, Crow, Blackfoot, Lakota, Commanche, Apache and Miami were having the same debate.....

If I left anyone out, Sioux me.:p

i can personally assure the apache did not have that debate.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Rimanga dietro il vostro calcolatore e protesti, voi disgrace!:mad2:

:)

Don't know Italian, sorry.

hideyoursheep
05-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by ace diamond
i can personally assure the apache did not have that debate.

No. It wasn't about language was it?

hideyoursheep
05-25-2007, 11:01 PM
:)

Don't know Italian, sorry.

You see how easy that is?

They wanna speak their native tounge to each other we shouldn't care.

They try it with you and you say, "Don't know spanish. Speak english."

Usually they will at least attempt it.

Hell, I have a hard time with the southern accent speaking people.

I asked for a lemon in a Louisville bar....I laughed for 20 minutes.

And don't ask for a quarter or a car in Boston.

And Jeezus, The 3rd Para Regiment from Liverpool...TRANSLATOR!!

Okay, I'm rambling about accents now

ace diamond
05-26-2007, 08:09 PM
No. It wasn't about language was it?

no, it was not. it was about survival.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-26-2007, 08:13 PM

They try it with you and you say, "Don't know spanish. Speak english."

Yeah, even though I learned Spanish, I always use that line.

Why should I speak a foreign tongue in my own country, when they don't have enough respect to learn English?

hideyoursheep
05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, even though I learned Spanish, I always use that line.

Why should I speak a foreign tongue in my own country, when they don't have enough respect to learn English?
Who says you do?

Is this really about not speaking english, or illegals?

Who forces anyone to speak spanish?

svrwthr
07-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ

?

Jesus was just another speaker for God, where does armaic come into this? Dumb ass if you want to use a stupid analogy for a great thread topic be correct and say, Welcome to Heaven, speak single celled organism. because pretty sure they communicate in some form and they were the first on earth.

God that was a stupid point but WTF!