PDA

View Full Version : Why is Play.com taking pre-orders for LED ZEPPELIN "KNEBWORTH 1979" DVD

Mr Badguy
05-28-2007, 04:56 PM
I shit you not.

It`s coming out on 25th June.

Is this official or what?

www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/4-/3343129/Led-Zepplin-Knebworth-1979/Product.html

jharp84
05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Does not look like the full show! Does anyone have this on audio to trade??????

FORD
05-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Is this going to be an official release?

All Amazon has is what appears to be a bootleg someone's trying to sell for a 100 bucks.

WARF
05-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I've heard boots from NEBWORTH and from what I can recall the band was playing very sloppy and sounded very tired.

Terry
05-28-2007, 05:36 PM
There's also a 1977 Seattle show due to come out soon on amazon.com as well.

Doubt it's official. Probably along the same lines as the recent abridged 1975 Earl's Court dvd released by a company called masterplan. Just a high-end bootleg.

Rikk
05-28-2007, 06:13 PM
These are indeed high-end bootlegs.

KNEBWORTH is sloppy...but in its fixed-up mode on the official DVD, it's mind-blowing. Great stuff.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Wasn't some of the Knebworth show on the last big Zeppelin DVD set ??

WARF
05-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes it was.
That's why I think this is bullshit.
It was on the extras on disc two.

FORD
05-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Terry

Doubt it's official. Probably along the same lines as the recent abridged 1975 Earl's Court dvd released by a company called masterplan. Just a high-end bootleg.

I don't know how they could ever clean up the sound of the Seattle 77 show enough to release it commercially.

The Kingdome was notorious for horrible acoustics, especially in the early days before they replaced the ceiling tiles.

I didn't see the Zeppelin show (being only 11 at the time) but everything I've ever heard or read about it indicates that it sounded "more like an indoor Supercross (dirt bikes) show than a rock concert"

And yeah, they had the Supercross shows at the Kingdome too, so that was a reasonable comparison.

Terry
05-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I don't know how they could ever clean up the sound of the Seattle 77 show enough to release it commercially.

The Kingdome was notorious for horrible acoustics, especially in the early days before they replaced the ceiling tiles.

I didn't see the Zeppelin show (being only 11 at the time) but everything I've ever heard or read about it indicates that it sounded "more like an indoor Supercross (dirt bikes) show than a rock concert"

And yeah, they had the Supercross shows at the Kingdome too, so that was a reasonable comparison.

Apparently Page took a look at the Seattle footage when making the 2003 official LZ dvd and decided that it wasn't up to snuff for inclusion.

As far as bootlegs go, it's watchable and listenable in terms of the audio and video; you can see everything going on, it's in color, pro-shot with multiple angles etc...

A lot of the Knebworth stuff didn't sound all that great, either, until Page tweaked it and threw some reverb on it, so it'd be possible to maybe throw a couple Seattle tunes on a future official dvd release.

All I've really seen out there in terms of full length LZ bootleg concert vids is Earl's Court 1975, Seattle 1977 and Knebworth. They're worth getting if you're a fan of the band, but if one must pay for them anything over 20 or 25 bucks is a ripoff.

katie
05-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I shit you not.

It`s coming out on 25th June.

Is this official or what?

www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/4-/3343129/Led-Zepplin-Knebworth-1979/Product.html

I have a DVD promo of this in a plastic wallet with just track info etc on the disc.

No release date is printed anywhere which is strange.

Terry
05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Wasn't some of the Knebworth show on the last big Zeppelin DVD set ??

It was, and it was cleaned up quite a bit, audio and video.

All of the Knebworth boots I've seen and heard don't look or sound nearly as good as the official dvd set. Not terrible, but be warned.

Rikk
05-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by WARF
Yes it was.
That's why I think this is bullshit.
It was on the extras on disc two.

It wasn't an extra...it was one of the main features on Disc 2.

But it was only an hour of the show.

And yes...this is definitely bullshit. This is a high-end bootleg...people can just download it in the same quality from torrent sites as I did.

But the band is not releasing the whole show...it would have been hyped up for a year as the original DVD release was...

Rikk
05-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Apparently Page took a look at the Seattle footage when making the 2003 official LZ dvd and decided that it wasn't up to snuff for inclusion.

It wasn't just that. There was no multi-track for the SEATTLE show...just the mono soundboard audio. For Knebworth, Earl's Court, New York and RAH, he had multi-track tape and could remix it to a proper 5.1 surround sound. For Seattle, he would not have been able to fix any sections for a particular instrument or do a proper surround mix.

I have Seattle...downloaded the whole DVD with the cover. It's actually a pretty good show...in its raw form, it's better than Knebworth, though Knebworth is very good on the official DVD. But Seattle does indeed look and sound rough in parts. If anything, he should maybe have included a couple of songs as extras.

Hardrock69
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Shit, it is not just that, the performance SUCKED FUCKING ASS!!!

Good christ....I hope they are not actually going to release the Seattle 77 show.

The lighting sucks....the performance was from Jimmy pages heroin-infected slop days....god he sucked fucking ass. Lotsa mistakes, total slop.

Robert's voice was really rough...got a bit better later in the set, but not by much.....Bonzo and JP Jones were in better shape as far as playing their instruments, but their performance was lackluster...as if they were phoning the gigi in.

I already have this on DVD...I do not think anyone could improve this thing, no matter what they did with the sound quality....no way to go back in time and give them a kick in their fucking asses before the show....
:rolleyes:

ODShowtime
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM

I can assure you that Seattle '77 is NOT going to be released.

It's the god-damn shittiest, heroine-drenched wank fest I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Yes, of course it's pretty much the only live 77 video in general circulation.

You can see snippets during MTV shows like the Rockumentary.

Knebwoth 79 was two nights. THe first night was pretty decent and the second night was horrible. I've heard a pretty good matrix from the first night. I think most video out there is from the second night.

I bought a Knebwoth bootleg VHS MANY years ago and it sucked.

ODShowtime
05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
It wasn't just that. There was no multi-track for the SEATTLE show...just the mono soundboard audio. For Knebworth, Earl's Court, New York and RAH, he had multi-track tape and could remix it to a proper 5.1 surround sound. For Seattle, he would not have been able to fix any sections for a particular instrument or do a proper surround mix.

That's a very good point Rikk. Only having a 2 track stereo mix pretty much screws any official release.

I believe that the inclusion of the 6/21/77 Song Remains the Same with Super 8mm footage on the DVD was a message to fans from Jimmy to not get excited about ever hearing a decent 77 show.

Cheap bastard. How much could tape have cost back then?

Terry
05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
That's a very good point Rikk. Only having a 2 track stereo mix pretty much screws any official release.

I believe that the inclusion of the 6/21/77 Song Remains the Same with Super 8mm footage on the DVD was a message to fans from Jimmy to not get excited about ever hearing a decent 77 show.

Cheap bastard. How much could tape have cost back then?

The 6/21/77 audio for the 2003 dvd was actually taken from an audience recorded bootleg that has been circulating for years under the title Listen To This, Eddie.

Seattle 1977 really wasn't a great show from a performance standpoint, agreed. The show was overlong, with too much concert time given over to various band member solo spots, and Page made a lot of cringeworthy mistakes. The less than stellar audio certainly doesn't help matters any.

All told, neither of the Knebworth shows were all that great either when viewed or listened to in their entirety, from a performance standpoint. The band was trying a bit harder than they were on the Seattle 1977 show, but again the solo spots made the gigs really drag in spots (Moby Dick is just pondersome to me live, as is listening to JPJ play piano for fifteen minutes during No Quarter). Certainly sounds better than Seattle in terms of listening quality.

The funny thing is I've got an audio boot from the Europe 1980 tour, from Zurich on June 29, 1980, and the band is just BLAZING. A few bum notes here and there, but the effort and energy they're putting into the performance is palpable. Knocks the shit out of the Seattle 1977 and both Knebworth gigs. Plus, the show is around 2 hours, as opposed to 3 or 3 and a half hours like the others, so it's not quite an endurance test trying to get through 20 minutes of White Summer/Black Mountainside like in Seattle.

ODShowtime
05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
The 6/21/77 audio for the 2003 dvd was actually taken from an audience recorded bootleg that has been circulating for years under the title Listen To This, Eddie.

Seattle 1977 really wasn't a great show from a performance standpoint, agreed. The show was overlong, with too much concert time given over to various band member solo spots, and Page made a lot of cringeworthy mistakes. The less than stellar audio certainly doesn't help matters any.

All told, neither of the Knebworth shows were all that great either when viewed or listened to in their entirety, from a performance standpoint. The band was trying a bit harder than they were on the Seattle 1977 show, but again the solo spots made the gigs really drag in spots (Moby Dick is just pondersome to me live, as is listening to JPJ play piano for fifteen minutes during No Quarter). Certainly sounds better than Seattle in terms of listening quality.

The funny thing is I've got an audio boot from the Europe 1980 tour, from Zurich on June 29, 1980, and the band is just BLAZING. A few bum notes here and there, but the effort and energy they're putting into the performance is palpable. Knocks the shit out of the Seattle 1977 and both Knebworth gigs. Plus, the show is around 2 hours, as opposed to 3 or 3 and a half hours like the others, so it's not quite an endurance test trying to get through 20 minutes of White Summer/Black Mountainside like in Seattle.

Mike the Mic was the man. If you haven't already, check out Long Beach 75, which he also recorded, along with some great Stones and Pink Floyd shows. He was wheelchair bound and used that to hide his recording setup. Too bad he was crazy and burned all his masters before committing suicide. oh well.

Yeah, the whole 77 tour was WAY too self indulgent, but it worked on good nights, like 6/21 or Cleveland 4/28. I just listen to the OTHAFA solo from Seattle 77 and want to kick Jimmy's ass. I could do better.

I think if I was drunk I'd really enjoy Moby Dick live. I would just get SOOO pumped hearing (and feeling) bonzo do his thing. I don't know WHO the hell wants to hear JPJ play boogie woogie and classical and shit during the dark No Quarter. That shit sucks.

Zurich 80 is a pretty good show and some of it was released on a radio promo show back in the day. I think they fucked up Kasmir pretty good though. Try Brussels sometime, which is also a pretty good 80 soundboard.