PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Demands Trade

ALinChainz
05-30-2007, 06:40 PM
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer

May 30, 2007

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kobe Bryant asked to be traded from the Lakers on Wednesday, a day after calling the team's front office "a mess," and said nothing will change his mind.

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant told ESPN radio. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion, there's no other alternative. It's rough, man, but I don't see how you can rebuild that trust. I just don't know how you can move forward in that type of situation."

Bryant, who helped the Lakers win three consecutive NBA championships, has four years left on the seven-year, $136.4 million contract he signed July 15, 2004. That was a day after Shaquille O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat.

Bryant became infuriated Tuesday when a Los Angeles Times columnist quoted a Lakers "insider" as saying it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from O'Neal that prompted the trade to Miami.

Bryant also said he feels owner Jerry Buss misled him three years ago by telling him one thing and coach Phil Jackson something else about the team's goals.

Bryant said he was told the team would immediately try to rejoin the NBA's elite. But he said Jackson told him that Buss was not bringing him back as coach following the 2003-04 season because the Lakers were committed to reducing payroll and rebuilding long term.

"They said nothing to me about a long-term plan. Absolutely nothing," Bryant told KLAC radio, the Lakers' flagship station. "They told Phil one thing and they told me another. Actions speak louder than words."

"It's a trust thing," he added.

Buss issued a statement saying:

"We are aware of the media reports. However, Kobe has not told us directly that he wants to be traded. We have made it very clear that we are building our team around Kobe and that we intend for him to be a Laker his entire career. We will speak directly to Kobe and until we do that, we will not comment publicly about this."

Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not respond to several messages left by The Associated Press.

The Lakers won championships from 2000-02 and reached the NBA finals again in 2004, losing to the Detroit Pistons in five games. The team was broken up at that time. O'Neal was traded, Jackson left and other stalwarts -- Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry and Rick Fox -- went elsewhere or retired.

The Lakers failed to make the playoffs the following season. With Jackson returning before the 2005-06 campaign, they finished seventh in the Western Conference in each of the past two years, but were eliminated by Phoenix in the first round of the playoffs.

The Lakers appeared to be a title contender through the first half of this season, going 26-13 despite several injuries to key players. But they lost 27 of their last 43 games to finish 42-40 before losing to the Suns in five games.

Bryant urged the team at season's end to do what it takes to get back into contention. He essentially repeated those comments last weekend in an interview with the Los Angeles Times.

On Sunday, he suggested former Lakers general manager Jerry West should return. West left the team in the summer of 2000 and was succeeded by current GM Mitch Kupchak.

West, an employee of the Lakers for about 40 years as a player, coach and executive, is under contract as the Memphis Grizzlies' president until July 1. He turned 69 this week and has remained a close friend of Kupchak's. West has said he has "no plans to seek employment with any other organization."

It was West who brought Bryant to the Lakers, trading center Vlade Divac to Charlotte in the summer of 1996 for the rights to Bryant -- the 13th pick in the NBA draft. Bryant was only 17 at the time.

On Tuesday, Bryant did a series of radio interviews bashing the Lakers.

"That place is a mess," Bryant said, referring to the Lakers' front office. "If we're not making strides here to improve this team right now, to be aggressive in that nature, then what's the point of having me here?"

That same day the 74-year-old Buss was arrested in Carlsbad for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol. He was released later in the day.

Bryant earned $17.72 million last season and is owed $88.6 million over the next four years. He can terminate his contract following the 2008-09 season -- a move that would leave $47.8 million on the table.

By requesting a trade, Bryant would obviously waive his no-trade clause, but he has a trade clause in his contract that is believed to add about $13 million to his total contract value, a cost to be absorbed by any team that acquires him.

That money would be paid out similar to a signing bonus and would not count toward the salary cap. The Lakers had to pay a similar fee to Lamar Odom when they acquired him from Miami three years ago, paying him about $8 million.

Bryant has made the All-Star team in each of the past nine seasons, clearly establishing himself as an NBA great before age 30. Only one active NBA player, Kevin Garnett, has a longer tenure with one team than Bryant. Garnett has played 12 seasons for Minnesota.

The Lakers won 20 playoff series from 2000-04 but have won four postseason games and no series in the past three years. Since O'Neal left, they've received little from the draft, trades or free agency.

Bryant has stated repeatedly in the past that he was a Lakers' fan since childhood, and wanted to be a Laker for life. But the O'Neal matter and his feeling of being misled by Buss appear have changed things.

"The fact of the matter is that many people don't know what really went down when I was approaching free agency because I have stayed quiet about it this whole time," Bryant wrote on his Web site. "The real facts are that Dr. Buss requested a meeting with me during the '04 season long before I opted out of my contract, and he told me he had already decided not to extend Shaq, as he was concerned about Shaq's age, fitness and contract demands.

"Dr. Buss made it clear that his decision was final, his mind was made up, and no matter what I decided to do with free agency, he was still going to move Shaq."

O'Neal said on the Philadelphia Inquirer's Web site he believed Bryant "100 percent."

Bryant said he was considering signing with the Clippers and Chicago Bulls three years ago before hearing from Buss.

"Dr. Buss promised me he would rebuild right away, and I believed him," Bryant wrote. "That is why I put my trust in the Lakers. But when stuff like this is coming from the 'inside,' all I can do is hope that someone from the 'inside' comes forward to support me and set straight the facts of what really happened. This is the TRUTH."

AP Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakersbryant&prov=ap&type=lgns)

PlexiBrown
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Poor Kobe. :rolleyes:

chi-town324
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
now he said he didnt mean it after talking to with Phil ..what a tool

stringfelowhawk
05-31-2007, 04:45 AM
This guy is seriously talented and though I'm not a basketball fan, I do stop if I see a Laker game on just to see if he's lighting someone up. Since his rape ordeal he's been extraordinarily spoiled and openly a real jackass but still a very special player unlike Terrell Owens who's attitude overshadows his skill. Kobe's skills overshadows his attitude.

Having said that:

I'm very tired of the Jordan comparisons. There is and never will be another Michael Jordan. It is a pretty safe bet that no matter what you say or how much hype he got he can NEVER be called, "overrated!"
They both played in the NBA but they will never be in the same league!

fryingdutchman
05-31-2007, 05:02 AM
Change your pad, Kobe.

Another crybaby gazillionaire.

My heart is breaking that he's unhappy...

:rolleyes:

ALinChainz
05-31-2007, 01:31 PM
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer

May 31, 2007

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant were on different pages a few years back -- the disharmony prompting the Lakers' coach to call his star player uncoachable in a book he wrote.

Their relationship is much different now.

Feeling insulted and misled, Bryant asked the Lakers for a trade Wednesday, saying nothing could change his mind.

Then, he spoke with his coach.

"I don't want to go anywhere, this is my team," Bryant told KLAC radio. "I love it here. I called Phil, man, he and I talked, it was an emotional conversation, but he just said, 'You know what, Kobe? Let us try to figure this thing out.'

"Phil is a guy I lean on a lot."

Some three hours earlier, in an interview with ESPN radio, Bryant said: "I would like to be traded, yeah. Tough as it is to come to that conclusion, there's no other alternative. It's rough, man, but I don't see how you can rebuild that trust. I just don't know how you can move forward in that type of situation."

Bryant told KLAC, the Lakers' flagship station, that his agent had contacted general manager Mitch Kupchak early Wednesday. He also said he hadn't heard from owner Jerry Buss, indicating a conversation could go a long way toward resolving the matter.

Buss issued a statement after Bryant's request to be traded, saying: "We are aware of the media reports. However, Kobe has not told us directly that he wants to be traded. We have made it very clear that we are building our team around Kobe and that we intend for him to be a Laker his entire career. We will speak directly to Kobe and until we do that, we will not comment publicly about this."

Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, didn't respond to several messages left by The Associated Press.

Bryant, who helped the Lakers win three consecutive NBA championships, has four years left on the seven-year, $136.4 million contract he signed July 15, 2004. That was a day after Shaquille O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat.

Bryant was angered Tuesday after a Los Angeles Times columnist quoted a Lakers "insider" as saying it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from O'Neal that prompted the trade to Miami. Bryant said he knew who the so-called insider was, but wouldn't identify the person.

He also said he believes Buss misled him three years ago -- right before he re-signed with the Lakers -- by telling him one thing and Jackson something else about the team's goals.

Bryant said he was told the Lakers would immediately try to rejoin the NBA's elite. But he said Jackson told him Tuesday that Buss was not bringing him back as coach following the 2003-04 season because the Lakers were committed to reducing payroll and rebuilding long term.

"They said nothing to me about a long-term plan. Absolutely nothing," Bryant told KLAC on Tuesday. "They told Phil one thing and they told me another. Actions speak louder than words."

It was the following fall, when Jackson was out of coaching, that a book he wrote chronicling the 2003-04 season was released. He was most candid concerning his feelings about Bryant, but the two have grown close since Jackson returned as the Lakers' coach a year later.

The Lakers won championships from 2000-02 and reached the NBA finals again in 2004, losing to the Detroit Pistons in five games. The team was broken up at that time. O'Neal was traded, Jackson left and other stalwarts -- Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry and Rick Fox -- went elsewhere or retired.

The Lakers failed to make the playoffs the following season. With Jackson returning before the 2005-06 campaign, they finished seventh in the Western Conference in each of the past two years, but were eliminated by Phoenix in the first round of the playoffs.

The Lakers appeared to be contenders through the first half of this season, going 26-13 despite several injuries. But they lost 27 of their last 43 games to finish 42-40 before bowing to the Suns in five games.

Bryant urged the team at season's end to do what it takes to get back into contention. He essentially repeated those comments last weekend in an interview with the Times.

On Sunday, he suggested former Lakers general manager Jerry West should return. West left the team in the summer of 2000 and was succeeded by Kupchak.

West, an employee of the Lakers for about 40 years as a player, coach and executive, is under contract as the Memphis Grizzlies' president until July 1. He turned 69 this week and has remained a close friend of Kupchak's. West has said he has "no plans to seek employment with any other organization."

It was West who brought Bryant to the Lakers, trading center Vlade Divac to Charlotte in the summer of 1996 for the rights to Bryant -- the 13th pick in the NBA draft. Bryant was only 17 at the time.

Bryant has made the All-Star team in each of the past nine seasons, clearly establishing himself as an NBA great before age 30. Only one active NBA player, Kevin Garnett, has a longer tenure with one team than Bryant. Garnett has played 12 seasons for Minnesota.

Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ah237Jm2D9zuKLj7ZxoZV2w5nYcB?slug=ap-lakers-bryant&prov=ap&type=lgns)

rocknrolldork
05-31-2007, 03:18 PM
I can't stand Kobe Bryant. As long as he doesn't end up in Indiana then I could care less. The Pacers need some help but not from Kobe.

Romeo Delight
06-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Kobe should have made his concerns known to Phil and management...not some "insider".

Other than that, I have no problem whatsoever with what Kobe is saying.

Smush, Walton, Odom, Brown? Not likely to go too far. If he was promised more then how can Kobe be in the wrong here?

Executed improperly maybe.

ALinChainz
06-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Maybe?

C'mon bro ... team leaders go to management and ask,"What can WE do to make this team better?"

They don't cry for trades that will never happen and that he doesn't really want anyway.

Its like a kid stomping his feet, one that makes over $100 million. He had his chance to leave, he didn't. His giant contract is one of many reasons they have, besides the lousy deals they've made, that they can't go out and get Garnett. They should have gotten Kidd, they didn't.

Then to back track a day later, makes no sense.

bastardog
06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Is good that this shit happens to the Lakers......they should had keep Oneill and trade Kobe....but keept Kobe just for been younger.

We don't need Jordan's in a team......we need team players! like Magic....like Kidd

chi-town324
06-01-2007, 07:10 PM
two words....DRAMA QUEEN

Romeo Delight
06-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Just becasue Kobe makes a boatload of coin doesn't mean a damn thing.

We have no idea what was promised.

Look at your own job. If you were promised some good talent to help you department or role in the company and it never came, what would you do?

If it was promised, then a trade demand is warranted. I probably wouldn't do it, but how can you deny him that right?

He can't quit like you or I can and find a new job.

This is his only avenue. For all we know Kobe has been communicating with management all through this.

I'm tired of this argument that he makes alot of money so he should quit his whining.

That isn't a point of view, it's jealousy.

ALinChainz
06-01-2007, 10:16 PM
He's a player.

He is not management.

They don't have to promise him NOTHING.

They sign the check. They could be real nasty about and tell him to shut the fuck up and he's under contract. They have the control and his pissing and moaning is a lame attempt to gain it himself.

The right? The right to what? He is all Buss has. He knows it. He is using it to try and force a power play and fire who he wants fired. Legally and technically, he has no more rights that what that contract says. Play ball at our games and this is how we'll pay you. I bet you he doesn't have one clause in there that says, "we will consult you on any and all player and personnel moves."

How do we know he was promised anything? You act like you know exactly what he was promised and when. It doesn't matter. For all YOU know, but he HAS NOT been communicating with management through this whole thing because Dr. Buss knew nothing about it until it hit the media.

You really think this 29 year old veteran should have went public with a trade demand only to half-ass retract it the next day? Alot of players make his money and there are right ways and wrong ways to go about it.

He made his bed and is now pissing it and acting like a child doing it. His only avenue? He doesn't have avenues in management. He plays, they aquire and pay players. If it isn't to his liking, too bad. Handle it like a man instead crying in the media, stomping his feet, and trying to force shit by wanting a trade. He knows it can't happen for all the reasons I stated and more.

Romeo Delight
06-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
He's a player.

He is not management.

They don't have to promise him NOTHING.

But clearly they did promise something...and have not fulfilled their end of the bargain.

So when Kobe signed, there was no clear indication that they would bring in the right players? Please.

What is Kobe supposed to do, be a martyr like Garnett?

I admire his ability to play through year after year without a ring:rolleyes:

I have more respect for a guy like Kobe who wants to win.

He isn't happy with the support - is there a worse supporting cast in the league?

How can you say he has no power in this relationship?

An unhappy Kobe spells a ruined Lakers franchise...how long for them to rebuild then?

Best they do whatever they have to do to get some talent there or the Lakers, not Kobe will be worse for it.

Hilarious...NBA players have WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much power for my liking.

In this case, given that "they don't have to promise him NOTHING", he should utilize all the power at his disposal by bitching to anyone who will listen.

Oh but management holds all the cards:p

Too funny. Fact of the matter is they have made pathetic decisions and I couldn't blame Kobe for lobbying for West's return.

Either way, Kobe wins. You guys hate on him anyway, no matter what he does.

ALinChainz
06-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I hate on any dipshit who pisses and moans to get rid of Shaq, and then realizes he hoisting it 40 times a game isn't enough to win a championship.

The state of the Lakers is as much Kobe's doing as managements.

He made them choose, they chose Kobe, shipped Shaq, and Shaq won a ring and Kobe hasn't.

Ask West what he thinks of Kobe airing it out in the media.

Romeo Delight
06-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Isn't this whole debacle the result of some Laker "insider" revisiting the Shaq saga?

When Kobe called out Shaq, he was justified each and every time.
The only thing Kobe was wrong about was his admission to the cops about how Shaq pays them off when the Denver incident happened.

If people call that "pissing and moaning" well, they are just wrong.

Shaq was lazy and his work ethic sucked. His laziness cost them at least one ring.

ALinChainz
06-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Shaq has gotten heavy and pretty much pisses on the regular season. Kobe was on board when the Pistons beat them, nobody's fault there really. Shaq still seemed to have the numbers although Kobe hit the big shot in one game.

But he has won without Kobe, and the Heat have comparable talent, EXCEPT for Wade. Kobe hasn't had help, but he had to know with his contract and the cap situation, this was a possibility. He cannot expect Buss to just keep paying the luxury tax and quite frankly, it isn't like Kobe is that beloved around the league where many players are standing in line to play with him.

I understand it isn't his fault tha Odom gets hurt, or what players Kupchak brings in, and I don't think Kupchak is worth damn either I really don't.

But his method of handling it is wrong, and the issue that he has certain "rights" is something I don't agree with. He's thrown about everyone he can under the bus, which just isn't right for the face of the franchise, the undisputed leader of the team, and league icon to do. I can't agree with it.

Its basically the method T.O. used to get out of Philly, only now Kobe has brought about himself the criticism and jokes that are being played out throughout sports by backtracking and now basically saying he wants to stay.

He's won titles. There are great players, HOF's, who haven't. I would be more sympathetic maybe if he hadn't. In my opinion, Garnett has a bigger bitch, as does Kidd, and yet you don't hear about them in the same breath as what Kobe has done in this past week.

Someone in the front office brought up the Shaq deal again. Ok, maybe a dumb move, and a sore spot for Kobe and the organization, but its almost like he ran to his room and threw himself on the bed.

chi-town324
06-02-2007, 01:40 PM
funny....seems like LeBron is doing it all by himself....hummm:D

ALinChainz
06-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Close ... Lebron, the Pistons are helping big time, and the officials.

Yeah, pretty much a team effort.

Besides, the next round?

LeBron won't beat the Spurs by himself. They don't beat themselves like Detroit is right now.

Plus, although I doubt it, they were in this position last season also, up 3-2, going back to Cleveland ...

ALinChainz
06-02-2007, 01:50 PM
And yes, for the record ... Flamma, Unchainme, and Chi ... yes, I am a pissy loser.

I am not a bad winner, because I know how it is to lose. But yes when it comes to sports, and winning:

1. I am a homer, period.

2. I am a sore, pissy loser.

3. I am not out to offend anyone so don't ever be. I don't take it personal and don't make it such. Sports brings about passionate debate and opinions, which makes for good forums.

4. Repeat #1 & #2.

:bottle:

chi-town324
06-02-2007, 01:59 PM

chi-town324
06-02-2007, 01:59 PM
sorry about the double post!

chi-town324
06-02-2007, 02:01 PM
dont worry Al we all love our teams and you should be a homer!! thats what its all about!

Romeo Delight
06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324

I think Lebron is smart enough to know he needs his team involved.

Give him credit for realizing that although he could score 40 a night, every night, he saw the bigger picture.

Still, no team with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as starters is going anywhere.

ALinChainz
06-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Marcus Camby: Lakers Showing Interest

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Update: The Lakers have reportedly talked to the Nuggets about trading Kwame Brown for Camby, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Recommendation: Having Camby in the middle would help pacify the disgruntled Kobe Bryant, and Brown's expiring contract would open up $9.1 million in cap space after this coming season for the Nuggets. Still, the Lakers may have to further sweeten the pot to make this trade a reality.

chi-town324
06-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
I think Lebron is smart enough to know he needs his team involved.

Give him credit for realizing that although he could score 40 a night, every night, he saw the bigger picture.

Still, no team with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as starters is going anywhere. agreed

EbDawson
06-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Nowitzke for Kobe? Rumor making the rounds is Dirk (plus another Mav, Terry, Harris etc.) for Kobe. As a frustrated Mav fan, I dunno, couldn't hurt. I'm convinced Nowitzke will be in the Hall of Fame one day. I'm also convinced he'll never be a big game player. It's not just the playoffs when he disappears but in big games in the season. He choked against Nash and the Suns in the regular season. Byrant may be a jerk (then again maybe not) but the dude has ice water in his veins. I doubt Cuban will move Dirk. Doesn't look like they'll ever win the big one with him either.

chi-town324
06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
never say never..but showing up in big games is the only flaw in Dirks game...

PlexiBrown
06-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324
never say never..but showing up in big games is the only flaw in Dirks game...

That's a pretty big flaw considering that he is on a team that is always in the playoffs. Being able to perform in big games is what separated players like Jordan, Bird and Magic from other NBA stars.

EbDawson
06-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by PlexiBrown
That's a pretty big flaw considering that he is on a team that is always in the playoffs. Being able to perform in big games is what separated players like Jordan, Bird and Magic from other NBA stars.

Yep!