PDA

View Full Version : Fred Thompson??

ULTRAMAN VH
06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Fred Thompson Is In
That's what Stephen Hayes is reporting in the Weekly Standard and Mike Allen in Politico. Last night I attended an off-the-record American Spectator dinner with Thompson and his wife, Jeri; George Will and Robert Novak were also there. I'm not supposed to say what was said there, but nothing I heard inclined me to think that Hayes and Allen have gotten it wrong. Thompson's exploratory committee will go into action June 4, collecting money and hiring staffers.

Blake Dvorak of Real Clear Politics summarizes the poll numbers nationally and in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida. Nationally it's Giuliani 26 percent, McCain 18, Romney and Thompson 10 each. Iowa looks like a three-way tie between Romney, McCain, and Giuliani, with Thompson trailing. New Hampshire looks like Romney on top, with McCain and Giuliani not trailing by much, and Thompson far behind. South Carolina has McCain a bit ahead of Giuliani, with Thompson third, ahead of Romney. Florida, which has set its primary for January 29, has Giuliani well ahead, with McCain, Thompson, and Romney roughly tied.

The Republican primary numbers seem fluid to me, more so than the Democratic numbers. Giuliani jetted off to a big lead in February and March, then fell back to a small lead, with McCain making a slight recovery. But that's just in the national polls. The early contests look different. This is going to be a hard one to game out. Republican rules in the past have tended to be winnertakeall. But now some states are going to select delegates by district, including Florida and California, which votes February 5. That may allow candidates to cherry-pick delegates.

What can I say about the Thompson candidacy? From what I've heard from him in the past, and uncontradicted by what I heard last night, he tends to focus on big issues—the threat of Islamist fascism and the need for overhauling the tax system. He is fluent and sounds folksy, but his statements also suggest a pretty solid base of knowledge. He speaks like an outsider from beyond the Beltway, not a Washington insider. That's a plus. But I think there's a serious question whether having a Southerner—even one with national exposure as an actor—will be a liability for the Republican Party. The Republican nominee will most likely win the lion's share of electoral votes in the South (unless he's utterly uncompetitive) but needs to win a fair lot of votes outside the South in order to win; George W. Bush only barely did so, two times.

Another question. Peter Hart conducted a focus group in Baltimore County in which he found that Giuliani and McCain have a real advantage over Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama when the question is who can best protect the country. This helps to explain why Giuliani and McCain run ahead of or even with Clinton and Obama when voters have a generic preference for a Democratic candidate. The question: Can Thompson have the same advantage? His demeanor is strong and reassuring, but he lacks Giuliani's executive and McCain's military experience.

But that demeanor may count for something. Dvorak cites the numbers on Intrade, which reflect the prognostications of people betting their own money. Rounded off, they are Giuliani 27, Romney 23, Thompson 23, McCain 18. That's how many cents you have to pay to win a dollar if you're right. Intrade seems to be expecting a fluid and exciting race. So am I.

Posted at 12:00 AM by Michael Barone
« Yet More on Immigration

www.usnews.com

Ellyllions
06-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I like the way Thompson is doing this...slow, and calm.

I'll need to hear more from him before I can give a full opinion on what "kind" of a President he'd be. But so far he's really getting my attention.

FORD
06-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Wasn't Fred Thompson involved with the BCE's (Neil Bush) plundering of savings & loans back in the 80's ???

Ellyllions
06-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Don't know...haven't looked into it yet...it's just been announced that he's running.

BUT, if you're correct, you just gave me a reason not to vote for Al Gore.

Big Train
06-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Fred is the man to beat.

I found it hilarious that after it became painfully clear how soon Fred would enter, Romney started saying how "interesting" it would be if he entered the race.

Then the whole angle became in several media outlets how "presidental" romney looks compared to the other candidates.

I realize Thompson looks like an old shoe, but that is the funniest passive attack on a candidate I've ever heard. I suppose that applies to the other candidates as well.

Thompson is running a genius campaign that I'm positive will be emulated by candidates of all stripes in future elections, as the "new paradigm" for election strategy, or some other media-speak bullshit term for it.

By spending less and engaging in less retardedness early on, Fred comes out more of an "adult" than the other candidates in the Republican field. His careful measured ways are such a refreshing change of pace from "Bomb bomb iran" McCain, "I hate polygmy" Romney and "take that back, Ron Paul!!" Guiliani. His intelligent, measured response to Michael Moore was also a nice touch.

Thompson is the only candidate on either side who says "statesmen" to me. Which is what I think America really wants. A guy who knows what he believes and can deliver in an elegant way, befitting the most powerful office in one of the most powerful countries in the world.

DEMON CUNT
06-02-2007, 03:26 AM
Thompson is nothing more than a shiny turd bobbing in the political toilet of mediocrity and corruption.

Of course, a few Republicans will swim towards anything that appears to be different from the current fare.

Thompson is a novelty because most republicans only know him for his movies.

Ellyllions
06-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Actually, Thompson is impressing me by his lack of buying into the sensationalism. A Presidential race this early on at this state of heat is jumping on a voting bandwagon. The approval polls are low, so let's stir up the country kinda thing.

Fred's not. He's calm when speaking on issues, and giving a more controlled number of responses.

I'm attracted to the fact that he's not excitable. It comes across as confident yet unassuming. It gives me the idea that he might just work across party lines because he may feel that all parties are equal and THAT's what I want in DC.

DEMON CUNT
06-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Actually, Thompson is impressing me by his lack of buying into the sensationalism. A Presidential race this early on at this state of heat is jumping on a voting bandwagon. The approval polls are low, so let's stir up the country kinda thing.

Fred's not. He's calm when speaking on issues, and giving a more controlled number of responses.

I'm attracted to the fact that he's not excitable. It comes across as confident yet unassuming. It gives me the idea that he might just work across party lines because he may feel that all parties are equal and THAT's what I want in DC.

So a "lack of buying into the sensationalism" makes him qualified to be The President?

No comments on his positions? Just a personality analysis based on some brief television interview?

Aren't these the same reasons you gave for your Bush votes?

Ellyllions
06-02-2007, 11:31 AM
You read too much into what I said.

I'm just saying that so far, I'd be interested in hearing what he had to say. As of today, I know nothing of his political views.

It's not time to back a candidate yet. Not for me anyway...I thought Obama might be a good choice until he started talking about his healthcare system ideas.

For Elly, it's too soon to decide. The whole "race" has started too soon, and that scares me a little of everyone who is running on June 2, 2007.

Big Train
06-02-2007, 11:43 AM
A shiny box he is not...Obama yes.

People will find out about his positions soon enough. Other than the bulletpoints that have been thrown out in these news clips, no candidate has real clear positions. Hell the news barely even shows the debates themselves. If Ron Paul and Guiliani didn't have their toddler fest, they wouldn't have covered it at all.

Fred is basically an old school smaller government, less taxation, strong defense republican.

His record has been remarkably consistent on all of these issues. He sponsored several campaign finance reform bills,supported McCain Feingold. He has severed on several security and intelligence committees and has done some work on intl trade issues, particulary China.

Everyone can keep dismissing him as some kind of lightweight, but the more Thompson goes about his business in his quiet manner, the more that is going to backfire.

We need to get beyond this childish period we have gone through during the Bush years and get back to being a respected power. Thompson is the only guy who can really project that.

Ellyllions
06-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Big Train

We need to get beyond this childish period we have gone through during the Bush years and get back to being a respected power.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

The passed 16 years has been as more tabloid fodder than government.

ULTRAMAN VH
06-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
You read too much into what I said.

I'm just saying that so far, I'd be interested in hearing what he had to say. As of today, I know nothing of his political views.

It's not time to back a candidate yet. Not for me anyway...I thought Obama might be a good choice until he started talking about his healthcare system ideas.

For Elly, it's too soon to decide. The whole "race" has started too soon, and that scares me a little of everyone who is running on June 2, 2007.

I agree, lets wait and see not just where Thompson is coming from but the other candidates also.