PDA

View Full Version : Wow..What a Shitty List..

Unchainme
06-03-2007, 08:52 PM
40. Bertie Higgins - "Key Largo"
39. David Soul - "Don’t Give Up On Us"
38. Peter Frampton - "Baby, I Love Your Way"
37. Leo Sayer - "When I Need You "
36. 10cc - "I’m Not in Love"
35. Extreme - "More Than Words"
34. Dan Hill - "Sometimes When We Touch"
33. Cat Stevens - "Peace Train"
32. Kenny Loggins - "This is It"
31. Richard Marx - "Hold On To The Nights"
30. Andrew Gold - "Lonely Boy"
29. Debby Boone - "You Light Up My Life"
28. America - "Horse With No Name"
27. Lionel Richie - "Hello"
26. Harry Chapin - "Cat's In The Cradle"
25. Anne Murray - "You Needed Me"
24. Phil Collins - "One More Night"
23. REO Speedwagon - "I Can't Fight This Feeling"
22. Roberta Flack & Peabo Bryson - "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love"
21. Orleans - "Still the One"

20. Captain & Tennille - "Do That To Me One More Time"
19. Michael Bolton - "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"
18. Toto - "Rosanna"
17. Juice Newton - "Angel Of The Morning"
16. Bread - "Baby I’m - A Want You"
15. Journey - "Open Arms"
14. Seals & Crofts - "Summer Breeze"
13. Carpenters - "Superstar"
12. Starland Vocal Band - "Afternoon Delight"
11. Olivia Newton-John - "I Honestly Love You"
10. Chuck Mangione - "Feels So Good"
09. Hall and Oates - "One On One"
08. The Doobie Brothers - "What A Fool Believes"
07. Kansas - "Dust In The Wind"
06. Air Supply - "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All"
05. Chicago - "If You Leave Me Now"
04. Barry Manilow - "Mandy"
03. Rupert Holmes - "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"
02. Styx - "Babe"
01. Christopher Cross - "Sailing"

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/shit-list/40-most-softsational-softrock-songs.html

I've seen VH1 put some really shitty lists on before, But this one takes the cake...Still Hard to Believe that while Shit like this Was being Made, Van Halen was realeasing the 6 pack..Just goes to show you as well...Just because you Have a Hit single, it doesn't always mean that you're the best musician around either...

Thank You Eddie and Dave for saving the World from this Shit...

Unchainme
06-03-2007, 08:56 PM
This is about the only Time I would argue that Van HAGAR deserves a mention, Sammy turned the band into this type of music...

Terry
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
This is about the only Time I would argue that Van HAGAR deserves a mention, Sammy turned the band into this type of music...

Van Hagar has more than a few songs that would fit on that list.

MAX
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme

38. Peter Frampton - "Baby, I Love Your Way"

33. Cat Stevens - "Peace Train"
26. Harry Chapin - "Cat's In The Cradle"

18. Toto - "Rosanna"
17. Juice Newton - "Angel Of The Morning"
14. Seals & Crofts - "Summer Breeze"
13. Carpenters - "Superstar"
03. Rupert Holmes - "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"
01. Christopher Cross - "Sailing"

Hahahahaha!!!

Sorry buddy but I grew up to a lot of these tunes. :o

Embarrassingly enough, I happen to like all of the songs that I kept on said list. Hey, there's room for sappy music now and then and ANY of these aforementioned tunes is better than Van Fucking Hagar!!!

FORD
06-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Dust In The Wind doesn't belong on that list. It's not a fucking cheese ballad!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hUEasThcbuw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hUEasThcbuw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bueno bob
06-04-2007, 09:22 AM
39. David Soul - "Don’t Give Up On Us"
36. 10cc - "I’m Not in Love"
24. Phil Collins - "One More Night"
23. REO Speedwagon - "I Can't Fight This Feeling"
15. Journey - "Open Arms"
09. Hall and Oates - "One On One"
08. The Doobie Brothers - "What A Fool Believes"
06. Air Supply - "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All"
02. Styx - "Babe"

I don't have any problems with any of these songs...they're all currently on my MP3 player...

The music world for me doesn't begin and end with hard rock and heavy metal...my tastes are exceptionally diverse, and I am a fan of 70s/80s soft rock as well. Nothing wrong with that.

Agree with Ford though, Kansas doesn't belong on the list, even though Dust was a bit of a crossover hit into adult rock when it hit...

Steve Savicki
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Christopher Cross definitely deserves the #1 spot - any compilation release by him is a good one!

Unchainme
06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Christopher Cross definitely deserves the #1 spot - any compilation release by him is a good one!

Had a feeling Steve would like the list..;)

I don't know though, I'm not to keen on a lot of those tunes, Like I don't entirely hate Journey, Just not to hip "Open Arms",same goes with REO and a few others..

bueno bob
06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Christopher Cross (who I should have included in my list there)...I like all of it for what it is and don't hold it to any higher standard than that...

They're all good at what they do...they just didn't do heavy rock/hard rock, but on it's own terms musically, I enjoy a lot of softer things...on top of that, I'm also into jazz, classical, fusion, new age, folk, all because it is what it is...I don't dislike it just for what it isn't...

bueno bob
06-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Regarding Van Halen though...I can honestly say I hate Sammy Hagar's era just because of the fact that it aspired to BE Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon and Christopher Cross...and it shouldn't have been...

Taken on their own terms, though, there's nothing wrong with a good song from whatever genre, just as long as it's not fake. Van Hagar faked it's way through it's Survivor phase...Survivor didn't...which explains why I like Survivor for what they did and hate Van Hagar for doing the same exact thing, essentially...

Unchainme
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Regarding Van Halen though...I can honestly say I hate Sammy Hagar's era just because of the fact that it aspired to BE Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon and Christopher Cross...and it shouldn't have been...

Taken on their own terms, though, there's nothing wrong with a good song from whatever genre, just as long as it's not fake. Van Hagar faked it's way through it's Survivor phase...Survivor didn't...which explains why I like Survivor for what they did and hate Van Hagar for doing the same exact thing, essentially...

BINGO...Never Hated Journey and REO, Thought they were talented in their own right, Not On the level of Van Halen and such, but they look a hell of a lot better than the current nu metal shit thats out today..

When Van Hagar tried to become those bands, instead of what they were..They went down the shitter pretty quickly..

FORD
06-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Journey sold out considerably though. They went from Woodstock (as part of the classic Santana lineup) to a respectable FM rock band (late 70's lineup) to a fucking cheese factory.

Was there a huge leap from "Wheel In The Sky" to "Open Arms"? Well, it was enough to make me gag. Jonathan Cain deserved to be hung by his balls for what he did to that band.

If indeed he has any.