PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds of getting stung by a scorpion, then yellow jackets the same day?

rustoffa
06-07-2007, 11:55 PM
So I was moving some ancient cross ties earlier today, one at a time, and mother nature decided to add injury to the insult. It's fucking HOT here, and there's also a severe lack of rainfall. What better time to move a stack of rotten cross ties, right?! Here's how it went down- like during dragging the third or fourth cross tie, I felt a stinging sensation on my right forearm...looking down, I notice one of those shitty little scorpions just mainlining it. In my haste to swat it off, I inadvertently dropped the cross tie on my foot. All alone, there was no chance of sympathy from another human being, and the squirrels, birds, lizards...you name it...every single fucking one of 'em were probably laughing their non-reasoning heads off.

Being more than a casual fan of my own self- immolation, I blew it off and decided to finish moving the motherfucking cross ties. Like twenty minutes later, actually it could have been a fucking hour....I felt another sting on the back of my neck. This was graciously followed by several more direct hits to the back of the empty noggin above the back of my neck. Fuck this fucking shit....there's no excuse for it. I just about set fire to the entire rain-starved neighborhood...literally, I was screaming at the motherfucking tree-tops.
:monkey: :mad2:

Now it's all Benadryl, and Jamaican overproof rum.
:(

VanHalener
06-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Take two of these, quick
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxXFVyubqcI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxXFVyubqcI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

VanHalener
06-08-2007, 12:22 AM
When I lived in Georgia I learned to hate the almighty fireant. Never ran into scorpion in a bad way, but the bees made want to burn that mutha down time and again.

Womens mud wrestling helps take off the edge...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GIuvlqKX0TY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GIuvlqKX0TY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
06-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Not surprised that you stirred up a yellowjackets nest, but I didn't know you had scorpions down there in humidity country. I always thought they were desert creatures. Seen a few in Arizona, always from a distance, fortunately.

The Benadryl alone would make me a zombie. I wouldn't need the rum.

Ally_Kat
06-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Not surprised that you stirred up a yellowjackets nest, but I didn't know you had scorpions down there in humidity country. I always thought they were desert creatures. Seen a few in Arizona, always from a distance, fortunately.

I've run into some of the fellas in upstate New York. A lot of the lil fellas. I didn't even know they were in this part of the country

rustoffa
06-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by FORD

The Benadryl alone would make me a zombie. I wouldn't need the rum.

The Benadryl is pretty much for the lumps on the back of my head. The Scorpions here are basically harmless. There was a dead one in the shroud over a light fixture for a long time...kinda amplified the imagined terror. Deja vu!
:mad:

http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/getstory.cfm?storyid=1899

FORD
06-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I've run into some of the fellas in upstate New York. A lot of the lil fellas. I didn't even know they were in this part of the country

I don't think they're supposed to be. Probably hitched a ride with some "snowbirds" (old people who drive RV's to AZ for the winter. Including Ma and Pa FORD for the last several years, though they haven't brought back any scorpions or snakes, to my knowledge.)

I wouldn't think they would live too long in NY. It's gotta be too cold for them most of the time.

FORD
06-08-2007, 03:04 AM
Damn, it turns out the little bastards get around a lot more than I expected! Here's a page with lists of scorpion species that have been found in various states.....

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/states.html

New York isn't listed, oddly enough. Washington and Oregon are, but then the eastern half of these states have a lot of desert climate.

And I'll bet Russ' little friend looked like this......

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/vcarolinianus.jpg

Vaejovis carolinianus (Beauvois, 1821)
Photo at right of female V. carolinianus, courtesy of and Copyright 1999 R. David Gaban.

Distribution: Southern Appalachian Mountains and foothills of the Southeastern United States. Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia.

rustoffa
06-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I think I'm developing an extreme allergy to the yellowjacket stings. When I woke up this morning, there was a half-gallon of spilled orange juice on the kitchen floor, and the deck door was wide open. On a brighter note, it finally rained today!!:)

Ozzy Fudd
06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Ya know how i deal with those fuckin Yellow Jackets now... i take my kids bat mitten racket and wait for them and rock em back over the fence as they do fly by's:D ...hey ya have few brews and ya think of shit to do. so far Ozz 30+ Yellow Jackets 0

The_KiD
06-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
Ya know how i deal with those fuckin Yellow Jackets now... i take my kids bat mitten racket and wait for them and rock em back over the fence as they do fly by's:D ...hey ya have few brews and ya think of shit to do. so far Ozz 30+ Yellow Jackets 0

LOL.. That is a great tactic.. I personally always enjoyed a can of Wd-40 and a match.. And apply flames directly to the nest...

Flame and repeat until done..

KiD

Little Texan
06-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Sounds like it's time for you to break out the Bengal.

rustoffa
06-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Some pretty good pointers so far. The next time I decide to move some old cross ties, I'll be sure and soak 'em with some fucking stupid motherfucking Bengal bug spray. Then? I'll set the whole fucking stack of 'em on fire!! Everyone 'ell be thrilled as I yell out "do any of y'all see any motherfucking stinging insects?" right before I get burnedthefuckoutof trying to move rotting creosote shit that's on fire!!!

I know...I'll hire those Myth-Busting faggots from the television show to put plastic explosives underneath the pile of cross-ties...like a fucking goddamned centricon system!!! Next thing you know, there's oil flying everywhere....like on the Beverly Hillbillies intro!!!

Hell fucking yeah!!!

Thanks!!
:drive: :monkey:

Romeo Delight
06-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Well, of course I am a sucker for any Rustoffa thread that involves accident/injury/animal,insect,arthropod,fish, alien encounter.

But first I need to know what a "cross tie" is.

I can't properly get my head around this until I know...

FORD
06-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
Well, of course I am a sucker for any Rustoffa thread that involves accident/injury/animal,insect,arthropod,fish, alien encounter.

But first I need to know what a "cross tie" is.

I can't properly get my head around this until I know...

You know those big fucking pieces of wood that railroad tracks sit on........

Romeo Delight
06-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Rustoffa...were you trying to extend your property line by reclaiming some state property around an old railroad line?

Karma perhaps? There is something you're not telling us:p

Douglas T.
06-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I think I'm developing an extreme allergy to the yellowjacket stings. When I woke up this morning, there was a half-gallon of spilled orange juice on the kitchen floor, and the deck door was wide open. On a brighter note, it finally rained today!!:)

Yellow Jacket stings will get worse each time you get bit! I found the ol' tobacco remedy works best. To late for you Rusty! Next time as soon as possible after getting stung, ball up some cig tobbacy get it wet and comress it on the sting for an hour. It's sucks out the venom!

rustoffa
06-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Rustoffa...were you trying to extend your property line by reclaiming some state property around an old railroad line?

Karma perhaps? There is something you're not telling us:p

Nothing that exciting. It was basically just a stack of cross ties that were left over from the landscaping venture years back. See, in my mind, back then-I figured I'd eventually use 'em for something. Turns out I did! I used 'em to further strengthen the soul-sucking hand of doom that permeates my very existence!!
:(

Romeo Delight
06-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Ohhhh, Rusty...

I thought the guy I knew who kept a warehouse full of pallets, moving them from warehouse to warehouse was the ultimate collector. That is too funny.

My friend actually ended up leaving them after his last move...the landlord tracked him down and charged him for moving them.

I don't want to guess how much those oak pallets cost him over the 3 or 4 years he owned them:p :lol:

rustoffa
06-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Ohhhh, Rusty...

I thought the guy I knew who kept a warehouse full of pallets, moving them from warehouse to warehouse was the ultimate collector. That is too funny.

My friend actually ended up leaving them after his last move...the landlord tracked him down and charged him for moving them.

I don't want to guess how much those oak pallets cost him over the 3 or 4 years he owned them:p :lol:

I'd like to see the guy you knew move cross ties from warehouse to warehouse. Is he a dumbass? You know, I really wouldn't like to see anyone move cross ties from warehouse to warehouse. Thing about warehouses? They usually have these electric roll up doors....and occasionally, people that own said warehouses' will forget to turn the power on. Then, you'd be left with the prospect of carrying heavy fucking cross ties through the busted window or something. Do you see the painfully apparent problem with that endeavor? I'm not typing about back pain problems, I'm typing about getting stung by insects while navigating a busted window or something!!!

God bless ya Flamma....thanks for your support!!
:D

Ozzy Fudd
06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I'd like to see the guy you knew move cross ties from warehouse to warehouse. Is he a dumbass? You know, I really wouldn't like to see anyone move cross ties from warehouse to warehouse. Thing about warehouses? They usually have these electric roll up doors....and occasionally, people that own said warehouses' will forget to turn the power on. Then, you'd be left with the prospect of carrying heavy fucking cross ties through the busted window or something. Do you see the painfully apparent problem with that endeavor? I'm not typing about back pain problems, I'm typing about getting stung by insects while navigating a busted window or something!!!

God bless ya Flamma....thanks for your support!!
:D

LMAO

Viking
06-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Dude, I've been living here south of LaGrange for the last nine years, and you're telling me there's fucking scorpions down here?

DeadOrAlive
06-11-2007, 04:04 AM
Oh I hear you rustoffa. Dude recently I was stung by a wasp (no biggie) but later in the day at the ocean a fucking STINGRAY stabbed my toe. Split the skin and the nail right in half, what a great fucking day. Now I'm better, with some surgury to the toe done.