PDA

View Full Version : 311

Mt. Krakalak
06-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Anyone going to catch 311 this year?
I have front row tickets to the Saratoga P.A.C. show. Unfortunately, this even has apparently become a radio sponsored festival and 311 will be onstage for no more than 1hr15min! Not what I wanted! Also, this means they will most likely play only radio hits like "Down," "Transistor," etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm rediscovering old material I've had for years but never really listened to it until recently. I'd love to hear some of it live. There's always next year.

Mt. Krakalak
06-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Oh, and let me just say that Chad Sexton is an amazing drummer! I love the drum sound on "Transistor." He beats the shit out of Alex Van Halen any day. In fact, I wish he WOULD beat the shit out of Alex.

Diamondjimi
06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Have fun. :rolleyes:

Mt. Krakalak
06-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Alrighty then. Isn't there at least one fan here?
Didn't I see a post from WARF about 311?

Eyes of the Night
06-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I thought you mean't 300 da movie n' shit ...

311 is too poppy for my blood ...

Coyote
06-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Never heard.

Roy Munson
06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I have a couple cds. I'm not a superfan like most, but I do like some of their stuff.

Yes, Chad Sexton is fucking good. Really fucking good.

binnie
06-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Never heard them, who/what do they sound like?

BITEYOASS
06-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Great music to listen too in the summer and while hanging around lake havasu. I especially respect them for the fact that they gave Scott Stapp a serious smackdown. :D

Roy Munson
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Never heard them, who/what do they sound like?

Rock/Metal/Reggae/Funk is the most accurate, I suppose. There is a bit of rap, but not much, especially these days. They are all great musicians...the drummer is super-duper and can really groove. Great drum sounds on those records!!

People seem to either love 'em or hate 'em. I don't hate them. They have their own sound.

Roy Munson
06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Great music to listen too in the summer and while hanging around lake havasu. I especially respect them for the fact that they gave Scott Stapp a serious smackdown. :D

I've never heard that? Really? If so, cool!!

binnie
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
On Roy's recommendation, I might give 'em a try....

Mt. Krakalak
06-12-2007, 06:42 PM
I also admire Tim Mahoney's guitar playing. I think he's got a lot of very cool, feel good, stuck-in-your-head-all-day melodies and his tone is always sweet! I think he's on par with EVH as far as rhythm guitar skills. Nick Hexum is not an amazing singer, but he and SA can harmonize like no others! Not even Dave and Mikey. In fact, I think you could draw a lot of musical parallels between 311 and VH. I think 311 has a way more diverse catalog, though. I think their sound is maturing and is headed towards adult contemporary in many ways, which is fine with me. I'm not really into the "Yo, yo, yo" rap stuff, but it's just another facet of their talent. I just skip the wigger tracks and get to the good stuff like "I'll Be Here A While," and "Champagne", etc. I could go on and on...
And did I mention what a freakin' unbelievable drummer Chad Sexton is??? Even if their unique style is not appealing to you, you have to admire them for their talent and positivity.