PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden - Death On The Road

Hardrock69
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
This thing finally got released in the US in late January of 2007.

The third attempt to release it worked.

First release date was cancelled due to 'technical issues'. Second one for reason's unknown.

So I found it at FYE today and snagged it.

A 3-Disc set, with cool designwork and packaging.

Disc 1 is an entire show in 5.1

Disc 2 is the same show in Stereo.

Disc 3 has the 70-minute documentary about the recording of their album, and the subsequent tour (in 2003).

I have only watched the documentary (excellent), and the first few songs of the concert in 5.1.

Firstly, the concert footage is beautiful. Looks almost like they shot it in hi-def.

The lighting is spectacular, and the stage design is as well, which makes for compelling and stunning visuals throughout.

Only problem is that Steve Harris must have edited this thing while on crack and smoking meth.

He simply cannot stay on one camera angle for more than a couple of seconds while the songs are going. In between it is as though he takes a breather, and allows some longer shots.....but christ man, it is enough to give you a headache.

Some of the camera shots are so cool that he is actually fucking up the film by only allowing you to see it for a split-second before cutting off to something else.

He should perhaps allow someone else to edit the film for their next live DVD.

That said, the visuals are still pretty cool.

Nextly is the sound.

I wonder if they actuall did solve all the technical problems. Seems as though instead of a kind of static mix, the mix is changing constantly. Bruce's vocals rise and fall, the drums are louder here or there, suddenly the guitars jump out at you for no fucking reasons whatsoever...like in the midst of a verse or something.

I will check out the stereo disc over the weekend, though and see if it offers a more stable listening experience.

As usual, aside from the above, Maiden delivers the utmost quality. Despite the dodgy mix, the sound quality is fantastic.

I would dig it if they did a tour for the next Early Years DVD where they performed Powerslave in it's entirety.

Christ. They are fucking awesome.

I give it 8.5 out of 10. Minus .5 for the machinegun editing of Harry, and -1 for the unstable 5.1 mix.

Otherwise, I highly recommend it for Maiden fans.
:killer:

Shaun Ponsonby
06-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Not out there yet?

It's been out for a year or so over here

In fact, if I remember correctly, the top music DVDs in the UK that week was this and Whitesnake's "Live...In The Still of the Night".

Mr. Vengeance
06-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I completely know what you are talking about with the editing. Harris did the same stupid thing with the last DVD. He has to stop editing these things, he has zero clue.

The_KiD
06-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
This thing finally got released in the US in late January of 2007.

The third attempt to release it worked.

First release date was cancelled due to 'technical issues'. Second one for reason's unknown.

So I found it at FYE today and snagged it.

A 3-Disc set, with cool designwork and packaging.

Disc 1 is an entire show in 5.1

Disc 2 is the same show in Stereo.

Disc 3 has the 70-minute documentary about the recording of their album, and the subsequent tour (in 2003).

I have only watched the documentary (excellent), and the first few songs of the concert in 5.1.

Firstly, the concert footage is beautiful. Looks almost like they shot it in hi-def.

The lighting is spectacular, and the stage design is as well, which makes for compelling and stunning visuals throughout.

Only problem is that Steve Harris must have edited this thing while on crack and smoking meth.

He simply cannot stay on one camera angle for more than a couple of seconds while the songs are going. In between it is as though he takes a breather, and allows some longer shots.....but christ man, it is enough to give you a headache.

Some of the camera shots are so cool that he is actually fucking up the film by only allowing you to see it for a split-second before cutting off to something else.

That said, the visuals are still pretty cool.

Nextly is the sound.

I wonder if they actuall did solve all the technical problems. Seems as though instead of a kind of static mix, the mix is changing constantly. Bruce's vocals rise and fall, the drums are louder here or there, suddenly the guitars jump out at you for no fucking reasons whatsoever...like in the midst of a verse or something.

I will check out the stereo disc over the weekend, though and see if it offers a more stable listening experience.

As usual, aside from the above, Maiden delivers the utmost quality. Despite the dodgy mix, the sound quality is fantastic.

I would dig it if they did a tour for the next Early Years DVD where they performed Powerslave in it's entirety.

Christ. They are fucking awesome.

I give it 8.5 out of 10. Minus .5 for the machinegun editing of Harry, and -1 for the unstable 5.1 mix.

Otherwise, I highly recommend it for Maiden fans.
:killer:

Nice write up and thank you! I will try and pick this up today.. That does bug me about the sound though.. Please let us know about the stereo portion..

Cheers,

KiD

Mr Badguy
06-09-2007, 12:56 PM
The R2 version`s Stereo DVD sticks late on in the disc, I think after "Paschendale".

I love the CD but watching the DVD gives me a headache due to the ridiculous editing.

Harris says he`s giving a "fans eye view" but it`s like watching a mobile strobe light.

I`m surprised it doesn`t have an epilepsy warning.

Mr Badguy
06-09-2007, 12:58 PM
The "Rock in Rio" DVD has a great 5:1 mix.

Adrian Smith comes through the centre channel and shows some tasty playing.

Mr Badguy
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM

I would dig the "Somewhere in time" set as well.

Inflatables might be goofy but those big hands and the drum kit on top of Eddie`s head looked awesome.

It was the Maiden show I ever saw and I have a aoft spot for it.

Hardrock69
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I saw that tour also. First time I saw them. 185,000 watt PA system.

INDOORS.

Needless to say it was deafening. During Nicko's drum solo I went out into the concourse to get a coke. I had to scream at the top of my lungs so the woman at the concessions stand could hear me. They all had earplugs in lol.

That is the loudest single show I have ever seen.

Motorhead is always loud, but Maiden proved they were the loudest band on the planet that day lol.

Hardrock69
06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I`m surprised it doesn`t have an epilepsy warning.

Actually it does. That is the first thing that comes on the screen.

Though they blame the possibility of seizures on the "light show". They should have also had a sentence "Could cause eplileptic fits due to editing by Harry" lol.

:D

Mr Badguy
06-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Actually it does. That is the first thing that comes on the screen.

Though they blame the possibility of seizures on the "light show". They should have also had a sentence "Could cause eplileptic fits due to editing by Harry" lol.

:D

How did he get it so wrong?

The first one he did, "Maiden England", was great.

I hated "Live at Donington 1992" because of the silly slow motion and black and white arty shit.

"Rock in Rio" was also good, but I think that may have been done by a TV company.

You`d think someone would have said to him that it was too much at a test screening or something.

Hardrock69
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
The stereo DVD was fine.

And I changed my surround settings on my amp when the 5.1 disc was in, and it made the mix settle down a bit.

One of the most obvious problems was just Bruce and how far away his mouth was from the mic. Being constantly in motion, his vocal volume fluctuated quite a bit at times.

The rest of the mix it was not REALLY bad. Quite subtle actually. But it was enuff to bug me.

Oh well. I still highly recommend this.

binnie
06-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Apparently they were filming the set they played at Donnigton at the weekend, perhaps another DVD will follow....

Mr Badguy
06-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Apparently they were filming the set they played at Donnigton at the weekend, perhaps another DVD will follow....

Yes, with the same old songs.

WHOOPEE!

They could have at least filmed one of their shows where they played the entire new album rather than one where they played half of "The Number Of The Beast" (the half that we`re tired of).

binnie
06-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Yes, with the same old songs.

WHOOPEE!

They could have at least filmed one of their shows where they played the entire new album rather than one where they played half of "The Number Of The Beast" (the half that we`re tired of).

I agree, but I suppose they think that playing Donnington is a bigger deal.

I'll probably check it out though...

Hardrock69
06-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I will say one thing...the crowd the other day was fucking loud as hell!

ELVIS
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d50jPVa1Kk4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d50jPVa1Kk4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:elvis:

jharp84
06-13-2007, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hardrock69
[B]This thing finally got released in the US in late January of 2007.

AMEN!!!!AMEN!!!!!AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Whatever happened to the straight away from the stage view so you can see the concert LIKE YOU WERE FUCKING THERE with a few close-ups when necessary!! They put on a great stage and light show, only problem, I CAN'T FUCKIN SEE IT because I am getting constant CLOSE-UPS!!!WTF

Shaun Ponsonby
06-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I agree, but I suppose they think that playing Donnington is a bigger deal.

I'll probably check it out though...

I'd like to be a "Iron Maiden at Donnington" box set DVD collection ma-thingy.

They now hold the record for most headline appearences (I think), so it would be a good way to commemorate that.

Hardrock69
06-14-2007, 12:31 AM
They have headlined what, like 5 or 6 times now?

binnie
06-14-2007, 03:20 AM
Must be up that way.

Shaun's box set idea is a really good one actually: all the DVDs and CDs plus a book full of unreleased photos, show reviews.

That would be quite a nice thing to own.

Mr Badguy
06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
They now hold the record for most headline appearences (I think), so it would be a good way to commemorate that.

No, I think they are tied on three with AC/DC.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Maiden have topped the list now

AC/DC

IRON MAIDEN

Unless I'm missing one with AC/DC...

binnie
06-14-2007, 07:46 AM
I believe that Metallica have three headline spots too:

Mr Badguy
06-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Maiden have topped the list now

AC/DC

IRON MAIDEN

Unless I'm missing one with AC/DC...

Oops, I forgot 2003.

Donington just ain`t the same anymore.

It used to be THE event of the year but now it`s just another festival IMO.

binnie
06-14-2007, 08:12 AM

It used to be THE event of the year but now it`s just another festival IMO.

Yeah, it's gone overkill: 3 days and up to four stages means that its a case of quantity over quality a lot of the time.

One day, one stage with 6 fantastic bands would be much more of an EVENT

ELVIS
06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
That's how Ozzfest should be as well...

binnie
06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
I can see the arguements for smaller stages being thereto promote new bands, but any more than two stages is too much.

Ideally, the bands on the second stage should play in between the sets on the major stage - otherwise it detracts attention.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-15-2007, 09:13 AM
I agree...its a shame Monsters of Rock (or Jurassic Park, as Mr Grimsdale put it) didn't get a better reception in Milton Keynes last year. Probably because Deep Purple and Alice Cooper aren't big enough to headline in a field anymore, shoulda got a bigger act.

And they shoulda got Aerosmith to do it this year...that'd have sold.

A single day on a single stage makes it more of an event. I can also imagine that you coul dget torn deciding which band you'd want to go and see if 2 you really like were playing at the same time.

binnie
06-15-2007, 09:33 AM

And they shoulda got Aerosmith to do it this year...that'd have sold.

Yeah, that would have been fantastic.

They probably couldn't afford them though.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I think they'd have made it back on ticket sales.

Pretty sure they could have come to some understanding.

Mr Badguy
06-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Aerosmith are playing Hyde Park next Sunday.

Are they "rock" enough to do Monsters of rock these days?

binnie
06-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Yeah, they're still rock enough if they want to be (ie don't play all the shitty ballads!). They could have put on a really classic set.

I seriously considered Hype Park, but it's a hell of a long way to go for me to hear "Amazing", "Crazy", and "I don't wanna miss a thing."

If they'd played Milton Keynes Bowl I'd probably have done it, but London is just too much of a faff, especially when I've got Metallica to see at Wembley in July.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I think if they played the right material and not brought that fuckwit from American Idol on, then they could have done it.

If Bon Jovi could Headline it, and Van Hagar could headline the American version, I think Aerosmith can headline it.