PDA

View Full Version : HOSTEL and other such films

Rikk
06-09-2007, 01:37 PM
OK, maybe I sound like an old man that's passed the 30 point and doesn't know what's to like these days.

But is it just me or is this whole HOSTEL/SAW and other torture film craze just fucking sick?

I just read a review of the new HOSTEL film...it discusses the "plot" of rich folks kidnapping unsuspecting victims and then torturing them to death for fun. This is the plot.

I don't want any banning of films. I'm not saying these films shouldn't be allowed. That's a slippery slope. No censorship...I truly feel that.

I guess I just don't get it. I question people's tastes. I love horror films...my favorite genre. But hasn't it gotten just a little fucked up? It used to be based on actual scares with the occasional horrific moment. But films of taping people up and cutting them up?

I really don't get how someone can find the torturing and murder of an innocent girl to be good popcorn entertainment to cheer along with.

It's fucking sick. (Maybe I'm just getting old.)

WelshJon
06-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
OK, maybe I sound like an old man that's passed the 30 point and doesn't know what's to like these days.

But is it just me or is this whole HOSTEL/SAW and other torture film craze just fucking sick?

I just read a review of the new HOSTEL film...it discusses the "plot" of rich folks kidnapping unsuspecting victims and then torturing them to death for fun. This is the plot.

I don't want any banning of films. I'm not saying these films shouldn't be allowed. That's a slippery slope. No censorship...I truly feel that.

I guess I just don't get it. I question people's tastes. I love horror films...my favorite genre. But hasn't it gotten just a little fucked up? It used to be based on actual scares with the occasional horrific moment. But films of taping people up and cutting them up?

I really don't get how someone can find the torturing and murder of an innocent girl to be good popcorn entertainment to cheer along with.

+1

A friend of mine brought around Hostel for me and my bro to watch. Just doesn't appeal to me at all.

DLRdelight!
06-09-2007, 02:06 PM
there is no more horror films today anymore. i mean there have been attempts but now they just call them thrillers, in other words just trying to scare you with loud sounds.

ULTRAMAN VH
06-09-2007, 10:04 PM

I agree, Its like I woke up one morning and the world had completely changed. I don't understand this new fascination with torture and murder either. Just recently an 18 year woman was kidnapped in a Target parking lot and strangled to death. Reality is bad enough, I refuse to pay Hollyweird, to see this kind of sick twisted violence. I am to a point where I don't watch tv or go to movies. There really isn't any point anymore. I really don't think it is a great idea for Hollyweird to be desensitizing the youth to this kind of violence. Then again, parents should really be paying attention to what their kids are watching. Oh well, I guess I am getting old too.

David Lee Rocks
06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I can tell ya I have no desire to see people get cut up just for fun, a friend of mine liked Hostel and wanted me to see It, i told him no, It just gives me the heevie jeevies

blonddgirl777
06-10-2007, 12:50 PM
... I just read a review of the new HOSTEL film... (Maybe I'm just getting old.)

Hi Rikk, ;)

I saw "The Hostel" at home with my husband (it was his choice) and 2 other horor movies fans...

I mean... really... it got the effect on me that the producer probably wants his movie to have on people... :eek:

I sat there (unable to eat popcorn) and thought; "This could really happen to me..." as I remembered our last trip to Amsterdam... I truely got scared!

Then after, of course it's dark and you gotta go to bed... I couldn't close my eyes, I kept on thinking about some scenes... :(

That movie... UFF!

blonddgirl777
06-10-2007, 12:57 PM
... I guess I just don't get it. I question people's tastes...

People LOVE and thrive on that blood/sex/twisted shit...

Producers have to dig into their inner selves and find the most horrific things that could happen to a human being...

You know...
Traffic slows down at the sight of an accident,
Those "murder magazines" are top sellers here... people like to see real pictures taken before the cops got there,
6 o'Clock news is always bad news,
etc...

People's taste...
What taste :confused:

blonddgirl777
06-10-2007, 01:00 PM
OK, maybe I sound like an old man that's passed the 30 point and doesn't know what's to like these days...

Don't worry...

As life gets to be more and more stressfull and busy, we tend to chose "Borat" over an overexciting and twisted movie to fall asleep on friday night... ;)

PlexiBrown
06-10-2007, 01:07 PM

Yes, it is sick.

The_KiD
06-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree with Rikk. I really enjoy a good horror film but stuff like Hostel, Turistas, SAW, etc are more about Gore than horror. It would be great if someone could pull of new creative stuff that would hit you like the Original "Halloween", "The Shining", "The Excorcist", "Poltergeist" and the "Omen". Growing up, I loved those movies and they truly scared me..

KiD

blonddgirl777
06-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
... I don't understand this new fascination with torture and murder either...

It's not new... unfortunately.

The access is easier but people have always been fascinated with torture, murder, prostitution, rape etc...

I'm not sayind EVERYBODY... I'm not.

But for exemple;
In this city there has been a lot of detectives and cops that where corrupted witht he medias so we had these (extremely good selling)tabloids named; "Allo Police" and "Photo Police" and others... they covered the crime scene and from the cover page to the last, it was all graphic pictures and texts...

Since the Romans (and before), mankind gets entertained by blood...

So really... it's nothing new...
Sick, but not surprising... :(

blonddgirl777
06-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Personally,

I refuse to watch a movie if there is a scene of rape, violence to children and eaven... torture to animals!

I just don't have time for this shit anynore...

Yeah... bring back Freddie!

TAKIN WHISKEY
06-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Agree 100% My 16 year old daughter always tries to get me to watch those types of movies. I have no interest at all. I too liked the horror movies growing up. Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc. the horror movies I always liked the most were the Stephen King type. These new films are sick.

blonddgirl777
06-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by TAKIN WHISKEY
... I always liked the most were the Stephen King type. These new films are sick.

Our "old school" horor movies where mostly all about stupid, unrealistic, almost funny stuff...

Now, it's about real life criminals; murderers, rapists, twisted sickos etc... stuff that you know exists, see on the news and all but really don't want to hear about!

There's enough chaos in this world... I don't need to add some more during my leisure time.

David Lee Rocks
06-10-2007, 11:40 PM
to me The Exorcist, Carrie, The Omen, even Jaws are horror movies, way better than whats out there now

blonddgirl777
06-10-2007, 11:47 PM
At least, the producers back then had to use their imagination and invent some truely interesting scenes but now, all they have to do is read the paper, look up the net. and put on the screen what's already out there...

How can that be entertaining?

thome
06-11-2007, 03:39 AM
A horror film should have some body to it not just a snuff film.

The story line shouldn't be just about gore.

Changing camera angle every nine seconds to make you think it's exciting.

That is how most music vieos are these day the worst at it is Gwen Stefani, her vids are crap, just switching cameras so fast you think you need to watch because you can't concentrate .It's a old trick for the talentless or the script lacking any body.

The finest horror flicks i have seen in 10 years are the Jeepers Creepers trilogy, well shot, great back story, sp effect excellent.

Scary and creepy without the need for exploding blood bags every other sceen.

DeadOrAlive
06-11-2007, 04:00 AM
I don't get it either. I totally dig the first, original Omen made way back in the day. A great psychological thriller.

ULTRAMAN VH
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Actually there is a great old horror flick out there that will really give you the heebie jeebies. It is called The Changeling, starring George C. Scott. This is a great horror flick, minus the gore fest. Check it out, if you dare.

Rikk
06-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
Actually there is a great old horror flick out there that will really give you the heebie jeebies. It is called The Changeling, starring George C. Scott. This is a great horror flick, minus the gore fest. Check it out, if you dare.

Great fucking film. I watched it with some friends on Halloween a few years back and it scared the shit out of everyone. And hell yeah, it totally avoids relying on gore.

Rikk
06-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Personally,

I refuse to watch a movie if there is a scene of rape, violence to children and eaven... torture to animals!

I just don't have time for this shit anynore...

C, my old friend...great to chat with you. Hope motherhood is treating you well.

Yes...anything with torture to animals just freaks me out. And torturing innocent girls is nauseating. Again, I don't mind murder in films and plenty of it. But long, slow torture shots with lots of screaming...I just can't handle it. I never really could.

There was a film in the late 70s similar to this whole craze called THE BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS. It made me sick (and angry) when I was 14...and I was watching as much horror as I could.

I never thought that style would become mainstream...

blonddgirl777
06-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by thome
A horror film should have some body to it not just a snuff film.

The story line shouldn't be just about gore.

Changing camera angle every nine seconds to make you think it's exciting...

And all those flicks are sooooo painfull to watch!

blonddgirl777
06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
... The Omen, ...

My very favorite horor movie of all...
That subject alone gives me the creeps! :eek:

blonddgirl777
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
C, my old friend...great to chat with you. Hope motherhood is treating you well...

Yes, it's great... I have an angel at home!
Good thing he's a blonddbaby, I can see clearly... his scalp!
L.O.L.

Nitro Express
06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I hate censorship but we live in an age of horrible parenting. A kid at my daughter's grade school has seen all the SAW films and talks about them. Movies and media are very powerful and when I lived in Hong Kong they flat out banned sevral kung fu movies because kids were killing each other trying to copy what was in the movie.

I don't think we need this crap. We live in a age of public massacures, where young kids dissapear and end up dead, where young girls get raped and murdered.

Torture and slavery are real and here. Just a few days ago they busted a Mexican prostitution ring here in jackson using underage Mexican girls that were promised a job in the USA and ended up forced into prostitution so some fat, horny fuck could have his pleasures.

We don't need to be putting this shit in movies. They have the right to make it and we have the right to shove their junk back up their asses.

Nitro Express
06-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I think they should make a movie where a director that made a shitty horror film is tortured to death by being streatched out and having railroad ties put under each limb and have the bones shattered by sledge hammering. Then the screaming bastard is threaded through the spokes of a big wagon wheel and propped up on a pole. Every measure was is done to keep the poor miserable person alive as long as possible.

The torture was called "wheeling" and was practiced in Germany during the dark ages.

It's all been figured out and it's all been done. It was used to scare people into not revolting against who was in power.

For Saddam Hussain, watching a screaming victom was entertainment. He especially liked watching live victoms be slowly dipped into phosphoric acid until nothing but a skeleton was left. This is true.

It's sad that these movies are made because they are easy money because our society is full of Saddam Hussains. What will these people be like if they get power? Theres scary and then there's flat out sick and evil. We live in a sick and evil age full of people who are entertained by torture. Open up the collosium again, we are ready for it.

blonddgirl777
06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I remember being around 10 and having learned about Afro. American slavery, haulocoste, genocydes and all at school.
We learned about it and could only imagine the horor...

But came the series "ROOTS"... and the movie "HAULOCOSTE"...
I remember being furious about those terrible scenes and sounds printed in my mind...

I don't need things to be that extremely graphic to get the picture!

blonddgirl777
06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
The sickest thing is that those types of movies are popular... by demand!
Too many people like that sick shit!

We, at the ROTH ARMY, are the only "normal" folks that can still be considerated "cool" and spooky...

bueno bob
06-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Depends on the storyline. The first Saw was absolutely wonderful, even had me guessing until the last second (which is unusual). Interesting concept, for sure. The second Saw was...well...Blair Witch 2, so to speak. Not nearly as bad, but not nearly as succesful.

Hostel I haven't watched, don't have any interest in. From what I've seen there doesn't appear to be much in the way of plot or story, and I don't have any interest in any movies like that, torture fests or not...

ODShowtime
06-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I haven't seen a good horror movie in ages.

All you need:

1. Alien

2. The Thing

3. Saving Private Ryan

That's all the horror you ever need. Too bad you can only really watch a good horror movie once.

thome
06-11-2007, 09:33 PM
And all those flicks are sooooo painfull to watch!

I agree and congratulations.

:D

thome
06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
The sickest thing is that those types of movies are popular... by demand!
Too many people like that sick shit!

We, at the ROTH ARMY, are the only "normal" folks that can still be considerated "cool" and spooky...

I also like the "Campy" horror films, Dr.Phibes ,The Blob,Plan 9 from Outerspace,The big Spider flick, the big Ants flick, the Big Bikini Teenager flick, all of these are generally plot lined with Nuclear waste
or exposure leading to Hugosities on the prowl!!

I seen Saw and was really creeped out, but i dug it .

I wouldn't consider it worth a second look...

I have Aliens in a box set one of my favorites ever.4 is dingy because of that actress who robbed Guchi. She just doesn't do
me rite, she was ok in Beetle Juice, but i would avoid Aliens 4.:)

High Life Man
06-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I saw 2 last week. It was stupid.

vh rides again
06-12-2007, 08:21 PM
i know what you meen

me and the girlfriend started to watch saw 3 and at the very beginning the cop from saw 2 is in the basement or where ever chained to the pipe, so he has to excape somehow.

he takes the toilet tank lid and starts smashing his ankle so it will fit thru the cuff on his ankle.

i watched that for about 10 seconds while holding my own ankle in imaginary pain.
fuck that shit, those movies suck, thats like watching a real open heart surgery or something.

when i was maybe 15 or 16 years old i was over at a buddies house, great big 17 bedroom mansion.
his dad did the advertising for john deere here in the quad cities, he had tons of money.

anyways the house was at one time owned by someone in the john deere family, a spooky mofo of a house, im sitting in his dads den, you know the type great big bookshelfs loaded with books, the windows in there were made of stained glass 10 foot tall.

my buddie dave has a great big black belgium shepard named duke, this dog was insane, he bit me a couple times out at daves pool because i was running and jumping in the pool, he chased me and bit me.

any ways im sitting there, in the dark, watching this movie called the
EVIL DEAD, and im kinda spooked out and shit, and the dog jumps up start snarling showing his teeth and shit, im like paralized, and the fucking dog jumped thru one of the windows outside, swear to god.

im sitting there shaking thinking , what the fuck is going on.

dave comes running downstairs, bitching his head off looking at me like i did it, im thinking, fuck you man, i think your fucking house is haunted or something.

anyways we go outside and daves dog duke has a raccoon pinned to the ground dead, and is pulling the fuckers body right out of its skin, dave goes over to the dog and tries getting the coon and the dog snaps at him and shit showing his teeth, he ate that coon, bones and all everything but the fur.

so i have to say, the most thrilling horror film ever, is the EVIL DEAD at daves house.

Redballjets88
06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
that state of horror movies today is bismul (sp?) at best

Golden AWe
06-15-2007, 03:14 AM
There is one FINNISH reason to watch Hostel 2:

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebs/verajordanova/vera_jordanova_3.jpg

The most important part is linked as a videofile in Nick's birthday thread.

BEsides that, the only good horror movies I've seen during the last 15 years or so have been japanese, plus CANDYMAN.

bueno bob
06-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Well, I liked the first "Saw", because I just never saw the end coming, and I usually have a pretty high "that didn't surprise me at all" factor. The ending did surprise me, and I thought that it would be best as a stand alone sort of deal.

The first "Blair Witch" was a good film for what it was, and proved that a lower budget and a small cast can works wonders for you. "The Evil Dead" proved that as well some years before hand.

"28 Days Later" provided a really fresh perspective on zombie movies, and I enjoyed that a lot, zombie films needed a new take...there was a little english horror movie about werewolves some time back called "Dog Soldiers" that was actually done exceptionally well...Henry Thomas (Eliot from "E.T.") also did a movie within the last few years called "Deadbirds" which takes place back in the old west, that one I enjoyed quite a lot too, it was a very good story and very well acted.

Harry Hamlin did something a while back called "Disappearance", about spooky shit going on in a ghost town out in the Arizona desert...it'd be easy to dismiss it, but it actually ended up staying with me for a while. Not necessarily horror, per se, as much as a psychological, Twilight Zone sort of thing...

"Shaun of the Dead" bridged the not-so-wide gap between comedy and horror almost perfectly..."Freddy vs. Jason" was pretty well done, with the slight exception of Freddy only getting one actual kill and the use of stock characters (forgivable for a "Friday the 13th" movie, but NOT forgivable in the "Nightmare On Elm Street" franchise, which always tried to reach beyond using stock characters).

Don't know if it would count as horror, per se, but "Alien vs. Predator" was very entertaining, I thought...

Rob Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses" and "The Devil's Rejects" were both, as far as I'm concerned, brilliant...and I think he's going to do a VERY good job with the upcoming "Halloween" remake as well...

There's been a few good movies back and forth, but they're admittedly few and far between - in the long run, it just boils down to having to look for the best stuff.

jharp84
06-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by The_KiD
I agree with Rikk. I really enjoy a good horror film but stuff like Hostel, Turistas, SAW, etc are more about Gore than horror. It would be great if someone could pull of new creative stuff that would hit you like the Original "Halloween", "The Shining", "The Excorcist", "Poltergeist" and the "Omen". Growing up, I loved those movies and they truly scared me..

KiD

AGREE 110%, I remember when I was hesitant to watch the first friday the 13th! However, own em all now! Another oldie but goodie to you true scary movie fans is "The Sentinel" Me thinks 1979 w/christina raines and john caaradine! The changeling- F-in classic, just watched late night recently!!! However today's world is messed up, there is one called "freakshow" asylum label! I only saw the trailer and it showed more intense gore than I have seen in 35 years of loving monster/horror movies(since I was 6 and watched creature features in Chicago at 10:00pm Saturday nights when my parents were still together and we would get New York style pizza!) Memories: priceless! We need some talent in today's horror game! Hopefully!!

eddie78
06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Hostel is just fucking stupid.
What's the plot? Where's the suspense?
That director, embraced by Tarantino, is so obscenely overated.
I loved that film the 'Descent,' though.
The chicks in the cave, with the bloody thirsty, albino demons?
That film was decent & relentless, in a good way.

eddie78
06-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh man, "The Sentinel" was awesome!
Saw that when i was like 7 or 8, and it scared me to death.
She was living in this NY apartment that happened to be the gateway to Hell.

blonddgirl777
06-20-2007, 01:26 AM
No need for movies to get horror...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47353