X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Soto quits Journey

JOURNEY has parted ways with its most recent lead singer Jeff Scott Soto (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, TALISMAN). Jeff's first appearance with JOURNEY was July 7, 2006 in Bristow, VA. He had been filling in for Steve Augeri, who had to leave the tour shortly after it began on June 23 due to illness. Jeff's last performance was May 12, 2007 in Leesburg, VA.

Says guitarist Neal Schon: "We appreciate all of Jeff's hard work and we can't thank him enough for stepping in when Steve Augeri got sick last year. He did a tremendous job for us and we wish him the best. We've just decided to go our separate ways, no pun intended. We're plotting our next move now."

Keyboardist Jonathan Cain adds: "We were lucky to have a friend who was already a JOURNEY fan step in on a moment's notice during the DEF LEPPARD tour to help us out. Jeff was always the consummate professional and we hope that he remains a friend of the band in the future. We just felt it was time to go in a different direction."

JOURNEY — Neal Schon (guitar), Ross Valory (bass), Jonathan Cain (keyboards) and Deen Castronovo (drums) — is taking the rest of 2007 off to spend time with their families, write new songs and map out plans for 2008.

Source Blabbermouth.net

====================

I don`t get it.

They kicked Augeri out for Soto and now he walks?

What a fucking joke.

Maybe one last tour/album with Perry?
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!
  • Ellyllions
    Veteran
    • Mar 2006

I didn't think they kicked Augeri out, I thought he got sick and couldn't sing so Soto came in to just replace him for the tour? Here in Raleigh, I heard that Augeri had to abandon post shortly after the opening and the drummer had to take his place for the rest of the show....

I wish Perry would man-up and get his ass back on stage but I don't think it will happen.
    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

Perry man-up?

(Snicker)riiii-ght!
      http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
      http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Ellyllions
        Veteran
        • Mar 2006

Yeah, it's a long shot...I know.

Sad to see such a talented person feel so sorry for themselves that way.
        "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Steve Augeri fucked his voice over...probably permanently, so I wouldn't expect him back.

On the plus side of things, now Jeff Scott Soto can work towards that full time reunion with Yngwie Malmsteen...

But come on here...don't you see it?

Next year is going to be the...

(wait for it)

30th anneversary of Steve Perry's first album with Journey...right? Bet you the ink's drying on the contracts and the lawyers are calling their banks even as we speak...

Let's face it, where else is Journey going to go? My buddy Deen can sing Steve Perry as well as Steve Perry can, but full time behind the kit? No...he's not Phil Collins after all...

And why bother with lead singer #4? That's pointless.

I'd be willing to bet $20 with the first taker right now that Steve Perry will be back in some measure for a 2008 30th anneversary thingie. Watch it happen.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Of course that would be MUCH cooler if Steve Smith and Gregg Rolie were involved again...anything's possible...and let's face it, in light of the Soprano's finale, Journey could become pretty hot again VERY easily...

Just one little push would be all it'd take.
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Ellyllions
              Veteran
              • Mar 2006

That would be fantastic if it would happen.
              I'd love to see Journey with Perry.

IF I could get tickets.

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
                That would be fantastic if it would happen.
                I'd love to see Journey with Perry.

IF I could get tickets.
                Honestly, I think a touted "original" (or at least dominant lineup) of Journey reunited would do pretty damn good business for a tour, actually. Perry, Schon, Valory, Rolie and Smith would be that dominant lineup.

I won't, however, fool anybody into thinking that Jonathan Cain would step aside that easily...but if they're going to do the '80's thing, hell, it's probably better that he be there. As far as Gregg Rolie is concerned, I'm probably delusional on that aspect.

But I'd place REALLY GOOD money on the notion that they "parted ways" with Soto and were on the phone with Perry 30 minutes after the Sopranos finale when they realized that everybody and their dog was doing an internet search for Tony Soprano and Journey....

Hey, where there's money to be made...make it...

Again, I'm all in for saying that Steve Perry's coming back in (or before) 2008...all signs point to it...
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Ellyllions
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2006

Yeah, I agree that a "reunion" tour would do well. That's why I said, "IF" about getting tickets....

Schon still has a lot of music left in him. No reason this couldn't happen.

Comment

• SA ME WHO
                    Roadie
                    • Nov 2004

If I had to put money down, it'd be on Perry too. (Then again, I'd have lost money on that bet quite a few months back before they brought Soto on.)

A friend of a guy in the music biz (in a smaller band) said he talked to a roadie on one summer tour (in '05 maybe) and that it was all "Hush hush", but Journey was bringing back Steve Perry.

I'm guessing maybe they couldn't get things quite ironed out with Perry in time for last year's tour.........or, like Bob mentioned, they decided to hold over till the 30th anniversary of Perry's 1st album with the band.

But, yeah, I'd put some money on it being Perry. (No more than $20 though, because I'd already be down money if I'd done that last time, based on that "insider info".)

Although, look at reunions of other original forms of bands before....... **cough, cough** and how they were announced and never quite worked out.

Comment

• bueno bob
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Van Halen's your biggest holdout in the "failed reunions" department. Lots of other acts have gotten their shit together over the last ten years...Black Sabbath, The Police, Genesis, etc etc...the list goes on and on, but those are the three immediate big names that come to mind.

I don't think there'll be any problem with Journey and Steve Perry doing it too. In fact, I'll probably go see it myself, I'd like to see classic Journey live.
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2006

Are you people fucking serious???? JOURNEY??????????
                        RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Are you people fucking serious???? JOURNEY??????????
                          I've said this before, and I'll stick with it. I like Journey for what it is, not for anything more or less than that. Hell, I grew up in the era, their shit was everywhere, so it stands to reason that some of it stuck with me.

I mean, reasonably, I'm not going to say that they were a fucking killer rock band and legendary musicians and all that bullshit...when compared to Van Halen, you know, it's an apples and oranges thing...

Same way I could say, "Hey, I fucking love Kreator", and compared to Kreator's version of "aggressive rock", Van Halen's about as pussy to them as Journey are to Van Halen...

It's really two different things, so...

My vagina's wet.
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                            I like Journey
                            I had a fucking GREAT comeback all set, and then...

Originally posted by bueno bob
                            My vagina's wet.
                            ...you beat me to it.

I hate you, Bueno Bob!!!
                            RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2006

But I LOVE your vagina!
                              RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment