PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy Backed by Supremes

lucky wilbury
05-03-2004, 10:59 PM
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14018,00.html

Ozzy Backed by Supremes

by Josh Grossberg
May 3, 2004, 2:20 PM PT

Who knew? Ozzy Osbourne is apparently a big hit with the Supremes.

The Supreme Court, that is.

The highest law of the land handed the Prince of F---ing Darkness a legal victory on Monday when it refused to hear a petition filed by two backup musicians, who claim Osbourne screwed them out of royalties for two of his classic albums.

By not taking the appeal, Antonin "Ironman" Scalia and his eight robe-wearing pals essentially sided with a lower-court ruling in favor of Osbourne that declared bass player Robert Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake were not entitled to any money from work done on the rocker's first post-Sabbath solo releases in the early '80s, Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman.

Daisley and Kerslake had sued Osbourne, his manager-wife, Sharon, and Sony Music and Epic Records in 1998 after Ozzy rereleased the albums but digitally erased the musicians from the discs and replacing them with newly recorded bass and drum tracks to avoid paying royalties.

Daisley and Kerslake claimed the heavy-metal icon owed them for their contributions, despite the fact they were let go in 1981. The songs they played on have since popped up in a number of television ads and have been used in NFL games.

"Their music is literally everywhere," the duo's Los Angeles-based attorney, Nate Kraus, asserted in the petition.

The Osbournes fired back, however. "Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake have harassed Ozzy and our family for several years," said Sharon in 2002. "Because of their abusive and unjust behavior, Ozzy wanted to remove them from these recordings. We turned a negative into a positive by adding a fresh sound to the original albums."

Unfortunately for Daisley and Kerslake, a federal judge agreed and issued a summary judgment dismissing their complaint.

Last October, a federal appeals court refused to overturn the decision, prompting the session players to try and make their case before the Supreme Court.

With one legal battle out of the way, Ozzy can focus on another.

He has filed a complaint with California's medical board against a Beverly Hills physician Osbourne says was overmedicating him with such prescription drugs as Dexedrine, Valium, and Zyprexa. The rocker claims the unwarranted doses caused his blitzed-out behavior recently on The Osbournes.

FORD
05-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Fuck Sharon Osbourne (not literally!)

I'm surprised she didn't fuck with the music on the Sabbath Box set.

Panamark
05-04-2004, 04:40 AM
Those guys were just as essential as Randy, in my opinion. Didnt Daisley also write half the lyrics ??
I would never buy those remasters.

On a positive note, Kerslake and Daisley have teamed up with Jimmy Barnes (who was once considered as a singer for Van Halen) and are playing gigs in Australia. Im going to try and catch one of the shows. To catch half of the Blizzard Band live would be an honour, especially after Sharon Osbourne shafted them..

They are actually advertising the band as "Half the Original Ozzy Osbourne Band" good on them, I hope they can cash in on it a bit. They deserve it, I think they were huge contributors..

FORD
05-04-2004, 01:43 PM
I would have loved to have seen Ozzy in front of the Supreme Court. Hopefully he would have bit Scalia's head off :D

DLR_EngineRoom
05-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14018,00.html

Ozzy Backed by Supremes

by Josh Grossberg
May 3, 2004, 2:20 PM PT

The highest law of the land handed the Prince of F---ing Darkness a legal victory on Monday when it refused to hear a petition filed by two backup musicians, who claim Osbourne screwed them out of royalties for two of his classic albums.

By not taking the appeal, Antonin "Ironman" Scalia and his eight robe-wearing pals essentially sided with a lower-court ruling in favor of Osbourne that declared bass player Robert Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake were not entitled to any money from work done on the rocker's first post-Sabbath solo releases in the early '80s, Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman.

Daisley and Kerslake had sued Osbourne, his manager-wife, Sharon, and Sony Music and Epic Records in 1998 after Ozzy rereleased the albums but digitally erased the musicians from the discs and replacing them with newly recorded bass and drum tracks to avoid paying royalties.

Daisley and Kerslake claimed the heavy-metal icon owed them for their contributions, despite the fact they were let go in 1981.

The Osbournes fired back, however. "Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake have harassed Ozzy and our family for several years," said Sharon in 2002. "Because of their abusive and unjust behavior, Ozzy wanted to remove them from these recordings. We turned a negative into a positive by adding a fresh sound to the original albums."

Unfortunately for Daisley and Kerslake, a federal judge agreed and issued a summary judgment dismissing their complaint.

Screw Daisley & Kerslake. Synonymous with Criss/Frehley and Hagar.
Whiney whiney whiney, jealous BS.

ALMOSTsaved
05-05-2004, 01:12 PM
I'd never buy the copies of the new versions of "Blizzard" and "Diary."

The first reason is the bass is too loud, making it sound more nu metal. The second reason is history just shouldn't be fucked with.

ELVIS
05-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Daisley wrote all of the lyrics and half of the music...

Panamark
05-06-2004, 08:39 AM
I think you might be right ELVIS. I knew Bob Daisley had a lot to do with the lyrics. Even the famous "Mr Crowley". How can Sharon fuck these guys over ?? Sharon and Ozzy would be shitting money nowadays, these two guys were an essential part of Ozzy establishing himself as a Solo artist. They deserve everything they can get. I suppose we will hear that Sharon has stoped paying Delores Rhoads, Randy's royalties next...